Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2012, 01:34 PM   #1
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina
DIS Veteran

Orlando Experts...Drive, Taxi or Towncar from SW Hotel to Amway Center?

We are spending Christmas week onsite at SeaWorld (staying at the Residence Inn).

We have tickets to the Orlando Magic/Toronto Raptors game for December 29th (a Saturday night).

We will have a rental car for our trip.

From those that are "in the know".....taking into consideration ease of parking, traffic, etc. to and from the Amway Center, would you:

1. Drive ourselves to the game in the rental car.

2. Take a taxi.

3. Hire return transportation via a towncar service (Happy Limo is so far the cheapest at $88).

There are two adults and one teenager in our family.

The ability to drink at the game isn't an issue (I don't drink at all, and DH rarely) ... just wondering if traffic and parking at the game will be bad enough to warrant options 2 or 3 above.

Jan. 2009....onsite at POR: all 4 Disney Parks
Jan. 2012....offsite on I-Drive: Universal Studios, IOA, SeaWorld, & Discovery Cove
Aug. 2012...Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa: Aquatica, Discovery Cove, and more
Dec. 2012...onsite at SW! Christmas week at SeaWorld, Aquatica, Gatorland, airboats, & holiday fun
**Christmas 2012 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3041415
Aug. 2013....Sheraton Vistana Resort: Blizzard Beach, Typhoon Lagoon, Cocoa Beach & more! **August 2013 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3167818

Aug. 2014.....SVR, SW, DC, AQ, TL, Daytona & MORE! PTR in progress: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=51863899
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:51 PM   #2
TheWog
The Curse has been Reversed
We did it on St. Thomas
That sounds like my way to watch them

On a whim in March when we were staying at Universal my son and I got tix for the Magic game against Philly. I had a rental car and we drove. Incredibly easy and worth just driving over. Parking lots were right off the highway and right in front of the arena. Parking was cheap too. Getting back on the highway was just as easy and nothing like going to a Boston sporting event. My suggestion is if you have a rental car, just drive over, was a piece of cake. If I remember correctly I think parking was $10.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-26-2012, 05:25 AM   #3
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWog View Post
On a whim in March when we were staying at Universal my son and I got tix for the Magic game against Philly. I had a rental car and we drove. Incredibly easy and worth just driving over. Parking lots were right off the highway and right in front of the arena. Parking was cheap too. Getting back on the highway was just as easy and nothing like going to a Boston sporting event. My suggestion is if you have a rental car, just drive over, was a piece of cake. If I remember correctly I think parking was $10.
Good to know (and very reassuring)!!

Maybe, then, we will just drive over too......$10 for parking vs. $88 for the towncar service would be a nice difference to have in one's pocket

One of the transportation companies whom I contacted made the journey to the venue sound like an impossible feat, being a Saturday night during Christmas week. Had us a little frightened!

Jan. 2009....onsite at POR: all 4 Disney Parks
Jan. 2012....offsite on I-Drive: Universal Studios, IOA, SeaWorld, & Discovery Cove
Aug. 2012...Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa: Aquatica, Discovery Cove, and more
Dec. 2012...onsite at SW! Christmas week at SeaWorld, Aquatica, Gatorland, airboats, & holiday fun
**Christmas 2012 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3041415
Aug. 2013....Sheraton Vistana Resort: Blizzard Beach, Typhoon Lagoon, Cocoa Beach & more! **August 2013 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3167818

Aug. 2014.....SVR, SW, DC, AQ, TL, Daytona & MORE! PTR in progress: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=51863899
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:02 AM   #4
TheWog
The Curse has been Reversed
We did it on St. Thomas
That sounds like my way to watch them

Our trip was a Friday night during rush hour traffic and honestly, if that was rush hour traffic, I am moving to Orlando. We slowed a bit, but that was about it. I am not from the area and have no experience of holiday shopping times and Saturday nights, but compared to my experience which is the Boston area it was a piece of cake. The part I couldn't get over was the parking lots were right in front of the arena and had spots and didn't cost part of my son's college education fund. Good luck.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: