Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2012, 01:36 PM   #46
smile4stamps
DIS Veteran

Location: Still in CA for work but my home and heart is in Colorado!

Hops & Barley Booth

I was going to include this in my next post but it has too many photos so I separated it out!

In between Biergarten and the 3D event we enjoyed the Smash Mouth concert and grabbed a little something from the Hops & Barley booth.

We enjoyed the Pumpkin Mousse with Craisins and Orange Sauce.

Delicious!! I should have gotten it again!

We also shared a Angry Orchard Hard Cider. I Loved this!!! I am not a beer drinker so this was the only thing at the booth I would drink and discovered I LIKE hard cider A LOT!
smile4stamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:48 PM   #47
smile4stamps
DIS Veteran

3D: Disney Dessert Discovery

Finally it was time for the 3D: Disney Dessert Discovery Party. I had extremely high hopes for this event as my DH is a Pastry Chef and I thought it would be something we would both enjoy!

We waited around for awhile as we had checked in a bit early. They passed some drinks through the Sweet Seats line and they were pretty tasty but sweet!

Once inside we were shown to our table. In the Sweet Seats area we had a cheese station and a chocolate station as well as a small bar.

Assorted Cookies, Compressed Espresso Chocolate Brownies and Calvados Apple Crumb Cake

Triple Chocolate with Cherry Brandy Glaze, Raspberry Lemon Cup Cake with Pistachio Dust

Tiramisu, Chocolate Laced Eclairs

The plate I grabbed!

Assorted items from Babycakes

Savory Items!
Gorgonzola Serrano Ham Muffins, Ghirardelli Chocolate Bacon Brittle
Charcuterie Display, Artisan Cheese Display

My savory items plate!!

I just missed snapping the Flambe part!!

Vodka's (Which they were pouring as shots!!

Items from inside the Sweet Seats area!

There were serving one cheese frozen with liquid nitrogen and the other warm

Truffles

Bacon wrapped Chocolate Souffles!

I don't remember what this was!!

Now that you have seen what was offered I will will offer my review...

Totally not worth doing for the desserts. They are basic desserts. Nothing special. The best items were the savory ones. In fact my plate of desserts was barely touched. I had a small bite of each.

I LOVED the Blue Cheese Fondue offered in the Sweet Seats area. It was delicious!

When you walk in it looks like there are TONS of food displays to choose from but you quickly find out that they have repeated the Sweet Classics displays 3 times and the Savory one 2 times, The Flambeed Donuts twice... So really there was not much more than I have pictured.

This event may be fine for some but I was expecting something like mini plated desserts. I was not expecting such simple selections.

We would NOT return to this event.

The highlight of the event was actually meeting a fellow DIS'er and chatting with her both at the party and in the special Illuminations area that followed.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-07-2012, 03:44 PM   #48
DonaldDoleWhip
DIS Veteran

Enjoying the reviews so far! Those savory items at the "3D" event sound really interesting, but I can definitely see what you mean about the event not being worth it overall. Hopefully some of the other events had a greater wow factor.
DonaldDoleWhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:21 PM   #49
jmm476
DIS Veteran

I feel like a common thread lately has been that the desserts look amazing and taste kind of eh. It looks like the same was true of the 3D party as well. Glad the savory items were good though.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
WDW Commando Member #75

No trip planned right now

My first dining review! Jan 2011
jmm476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:45 PM   #50
debjk4
Mouseketeer

Having a great time living vicariously through your trip report! Can't wait for more!
Old 11-08-2012, 03:10 PM   #51
Smiling Cheshire Cat
DIS Veteran

I'm so glad to read how much you and DH enjoyed Biergarten. It is one my to try list some day if I can persuade the rest of my family. Looks like a lot of fun to me.

I totally agree with you about the Dessert party. We went for our anniversary last year and enjoyed the view and not so much the food.

Rachel
AKL, ASMovies(2), ASMusic(2), ASSports, Beach Club, Boardwalk, Caribbean Beach, Contemporary, Dolphin, French Quarter, Gaylord Palms, Grand Californian, Grand Floridian, Kidani Village, Polynesian, Pop Century(2), Riverside, Wilderness Lodge
Smiling Cheshire Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:09 AM   #52
nanienamou
Mouseketeer

Those savory items at the party are drool-worthy... all that cheese and charcuterie, right up my alley! However, I agree, the desserts seem... ordinary, which is odd, since it was a dessert party.
nanienamou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:21 AM   #53
smile4stamps
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldDoleWhip View Post
Enjoying the reviews so far! Those savory items at the "3D" event sound really interesting, but I can definitely see what you mean about the event not being worth it overall. Hopefully some of the other events had a greater wow factor.
The savory items were really good! Except for the Bacon Brittle! Not sure if it was the humidity or what but that stuff was so sticky it could pull out a cavity!! It just wasn't worth the price paid I don't think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmm476 View Post
I feel like a common thread lately has been that the desserts look amazing and taste kind of eh. It looks like the same was true of the 3D party as well. Glad the savory items were good though.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
It's sad that a specialty party would not have more specialty desserts. Now I know for next time! (If there will be a next time??!!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by debjk4 View Post
Having a great time living vicariously through your trip report! Can't wait for more!
Thanks!! Lots more to come!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Cheshire Cat View Post
I'm so glad to read how much you and DH enjoyed Biergarten. It is one my to try list some day if I can persuade the rest of my family. Looks like a lot of fun to me.

I totally agree with you about the Dessert party. We went for our anniversary last year and enjoyed the view and not so much the food.
Biergarten is great!! It was one we went to in '09 and felt we needed to return to!

I'm glad we are not the only ones who thought the food was lacking! The desserts were just Meh. Totally not what I was expecting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanienamou View Post
Those savory items at the party are drool-worthy... all that cheese and charcuterie, right up my alley! However, I agree, the desserts seem... ordinary, which is odd, since it was a dessert party.
Yup. We filled up on the charcuterie lol. The Prosciutto and other items were really nice! Ordinary is how I would describe the desserts... And kind of dried out and boring!
Old 11-09-2012, 12:22 PM   #54
smile4stamps
DIS Veteran

Raglan Road

Raglan Road was one of our most looked forward to meals this trip as they had a very memorable salad there on our '09 trip. Yes I said a SALAD! It was one of the the few places my DH asked that we return to.

After quite the trek via bus we had finally arrived! To find out that the salad we had craved was NOT on the menu!

Back Story: In July (I think) I had noticed that the salad we wanted was no longer on the menu. I sent a comment via their website asking if there was any way it would be available. They had replied that it would be back on the menu for our October trip. I was ecstatic!

Fast forward to arriving at the restaurant. It was not on the menu! I was so bummed! It doesn't hurt to ask though right? A management type (I think) walked by and asked how we were doing. I mentioned that I had e-mailed and asked if the Goat's Town salad would be available in October and was told it would be. He replied that they have a couple available in the kitchen!!

So we BOTH ordered the Goat's Town as our entree's!!

However... we did start with an appetizer!

Crock o’ Pate - Our crock of rustic chicken liver pate served with apricot chutney.

I am a HUGE lover of Pate's. This one was pretty good and went really well with the chutney! I prefer a softer bread to go with Pate as the hard crostini hurts my mouth but I know lots prefer the crisper stuff!

We also had the Soda Bread with the Guinness Reduction.

We really like the soda bread with the reduction. It was different this time as the bread was loaf style vs last time they were more like a roll. The bread seemed to be a bit more chewy and not quite as dense.

Finally. It was time for the Goat's Town Salad. Would it live up to our 3.5year old memory?!?!

Goat's Town Salad is a Goat Cheese and mushroom terrine flash fried served on a bed of greens with a berry compote and some glazed nuts.

The verdict!

Delicious!! The only thing that was different according to my recollection was the breading on the goat cheese seemed to be a bit thicker and fried a little crisper. This lead to the crispy factor I discussed above with the crostini and it affecting my mouth a bit but it was still just every bit as delicious as we remembered! We both cleaned our plates!!

Did we want Dessert?!?! At first my husband was saying NO. He was already full and he knew we had another event tonight to go to. BUT then he remembered... This is where he had the excellent bread pudding!!

Ger’s Bread & Butter Pudding
Like no other pudding you have ever tried.
Believe us.

All dumped out with the delicious syrups poured over the top...

It's a bit hot!!

And we tried our valiant best to finish it!

The Bread Pudding is delicious! So glad we got it again!

Overall Raglan Road did not disappoint! We were thrilled to have our salad again and both the appetizer and dessert were splendid! There are many more items on the menu I would LOVE to try so we would definitely go back... However I have a feeling we would still try and order the Goat's Town!

Old 11-09-2012, 01:03 PM   #55
butiflfeet
DIS Veteran

Raglan Road looks so good! I remember a while ago people had some so-so reviews but our dinner there in '09 was very good. Hopefully we can get there for lunch or something in January!

butiflfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:07 PM   #56
scottny
You better have crackers
I heard of light reading, never wet reading
I still won't go in the ocean because of

I am here too.

Okay I said on the tr that the party sounds good but not now.

Great reviews of the places. The break pudding there is really good and I don't like bread pudding.
scottny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:11 PM   #57
emmysmommy
DIS Veteran

Glad to see that the amazing bread pudding didn't disappoint! It looks so good! Is that a creme anglaise and a caramel sauce?

Sorry that the 3D dessert party wasn't more satisfying but at least the Illuminations viewing and Dismeet were a redeeming factor for the event.
emmysmommy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:31 AM   #58
Imagineer5
DIS Veteran

I agree with you about the quality of the desserts at the 3D party, espcially the bacon themed stuff (YUCK IMO) but we still thought it was so much fun. And I don't think I ever went to the savory section hahaha but Andrew brought back some things for me to try. I did, however, enjoy my ticket's worth in wine and other drinks

How amazing is that bread pudding?! Man I wish Id have known to email ahead about that salad. But I still had an amazing meal there.

Anyway, chiming in, will try to remember to check for updates LOL but i'm never on this board so will def be paying more attention to your regular report!
Old 11-14-2012, 10:31 AM   #59
MrsB1228
DIS Veteran

Enjoying your reviews and looking forward to more!

Sept/Oct 2013 Dining Report: The Incredible Expanding Women - 14 Days On The DxDP - COMPLETE!
Sept/Oct 2012 Dining Report: 14 Days of Gluttony AKA Doing Free Dining Again! COMPLETE!
My first Dining Report: It's Time To Eat Again?!? 10 days of free dining with pics! COMPLETE!

1985-2004-Many, many offsite visits; March '05-POP; Dec '06-POFQ; Aug/Sept '07-POFQ; Sept '10-POFQ; Sept/Oct '11-POFQ; Sept/Oct '12-POFQ, Sept/Oct '13-POFQ; Sept/Oct '14-POFQ
MrsB1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:22 AM   #60
Rumpletinker
Mouseketeer

Raglan Road looks scrumptious as usual. Someday I will eat there!!!

It sucks that the "3D" desserts were so ordinary. It's so disappointing when food looks that good but doesn't match the taste you're imagining it has.

Looking forward to the rest of your reviews!
2010- Caribbean Beach (w/cousinbb)
2011- All Star Sports (w/cousinbb)
2011- Pop Century
2013- Port Orleans Riverside
Hey you! I'm into JESUS!

Rumpletinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: