Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2012, 08:19 PM   #16
Amandalovesminnie
Earning My Ears

My DS wasn't trained until he was 3.5. What finally did it for us was I had to find something that he truly coveted (playing wii sports) and he had to earn stickers by potting to earn the privilege of playing. He was trained in 2 days after a year of me trying.
Amandalovesminnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:30 PM   #17
jahber
DIS Veteran

I tried really hard to avoid the competitive potty training circuit the second time around.

We waited until my DS (2nd child) was ready. AFTER learning the hard way with my DD. At about 2 1/2 I tried underwear for her. The constant accidents caused my daughter to almost have a panic attack. She was a sweet, compliant child, so knowing she was doing something "bad" (even though she couldn't control it yet) left her literally hyperventilating after a few hours. Ugh. I cringe just thinking about it.

By 3, when her little bro was born, she was out of diapers during the day. In, like, 3 days of "training." Now, night time took until she was 8 because of bed wetting. So then there's that roller coaster.

Her brother, we waited until he was 3, and one day he just started wearing underwear. Viola! Who knows exactly why? No bribing, cajoling, begging. He was just ready.

My advice: Hang in there and stick with the pull-ups on the cruise. As a pp stated, it's better than spending your vacation worrying about an accident!
Dream 4-night Bahamas Halloween 2012
Fantasy 7-night Western 9/12
Dream 4-night Bahamas 5/12
WDW too many times to count!
jahber is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-25-2012, 08:31 PM   #18
Golden Rose
Princess by Choice

Let me just give you quick reassurance that you certainly aren't doing anything wrong. It isn't you who make the decision to potty train, it is the child. It's really pretty impossible to train a child who isn't self motivated.

Our son was almost 4 before he was really potty trained. We tried everything including food rewards and toys. Nothing worked until he was ready. (Actually, he got most of the way there, but kept having accidents when he got too busy doing something and couldn't be bothered to run to the potty, and I finally told him that if he could make it some amount of weeks with no accident, he could go to the pet store and pick out a small pet.)

Our daughter is training herself before 2, but again, we don't get the credit; she watched her brother using the potty, and she wants to do everything he does, so she's been absolutely determined. She doesn't always make it through the night dry, and she can't hold it for too long if there isn't a potty close by, but she never has accidents when she's awake at home. She doesn't care about rewards, except that she wants me to do the happy potty song and dance with her.

Anyway, yes, I've heard of people who tried to force it on their kids one way or another, but honestly, it never seems to take until the kids are ready.

(me) (DH) (DS 9) (DD 3) (4 cats)
Golden Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:52 PM   #19
disney1990
Wow, it make my heart skip a beat
I'm going to miss these when the season ends
Lighting the Way to Paradise

I agree with wearing under pants rather than diapers or pullups. They definitely feel that they are wet - it made a big difference when we did that.

disney1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:04 PM   #20
lilouisianagal
Mouseketeer

Two suggestions:
1. Does she go to any "school" or MDO program? If not, sometimes the "peer pressure" of seeing the other kids get praised will help.

2. Find a prize (it could be candies, grapes, stickers, anything little, even time with a favorite toy) then set up so that the ONLY time she gets it is if she goes potty. It is ESSENTIAL that she only get the fabulous prize if she uses the potty (a tinkle counts). For the 7 year old student I potty trained, we made a chart that had three choices of prizes (pictures) on it. You could do more or less depending on your child. He wore underwear to school (and we had lots of clean changes of clothes). Every half hour he would pick what his potty prize would be then he would go sit on the toilet for one minute. If he went, he got his prize, if he didn't, no prize. After he started going (and getting those rewards!) we spaced it out to going every hour. Worked like a charm! Good luck!

DisneyLand Hotel 1988 Carribean Beach 1992, 1995, 2006, 2007 , 2009 Dixie Landings 1997, 1999Port Orleans 2002 Off Site: MissionAir 2004 Disney Cruise Line (Honeymoon on the Wonder): May 24-28, 2009 Pop Century 2011 Disney Cruise Line: May 27- June 1, 2012 Coronado Springs Resort 2013
lilouisianagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:15 PM   #21
Belle4
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney1990
I agree with wearing under pants rather than diapers or pullups. They definitely feel that they are wet - it made a big difference when we did that.
Yeah we totally skipped pull ups. Went right from diapers to underwear. First week I washed a lot of sheets and bedding but it turned out for the best. Plus probably a lot faster than using pull ups. We rewarded with m&ms's. A regular one for pee and a peanut one for poo. Good luck! Best to wait for the signals and not force the issue.
Belle4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:33 PM   #22
chateau
DIS Veteran

I let my kids walk around naked. They HATED the result of not using the toilet and potty trained right quick. Granted, it was summer and we were outside during most of the accidents, so I'd imagine this would be hard to do indoors.
chateau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:22 PM   #23
SleepyDeb
Mouseketeer

DD wasn't potty trained until about 3.5. What did the trick was promising her pretty panties with pink flowers on them.
SleepyDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:54 AM   #24
AmanduhAnn
Mouseketeer

My daughter had ZERO interest in potty training until right before she turned 4.
She only decided she was interested because we were leaving for DCL in 2 weeks and I told her she was NOT allowed to go play with the kids if she wasn't potty trained.
Next day she was good to go. She was just being a lazy booger butt!
We did however have night wetting problems until about a month ago and she turned 6 on Jan. 1st.
Old 09-26-2012, 04:35 AM   #25
Scillycruisers
Mouseketeer

DS had no interest in potty training until 3 and a half. Once he decided he was ready it took a matter of 2 or 3 weeks until he was dry in the day and only a couple of months until he was dry at night. As by that age he had a reasonable amount of control we never had the problem of dashing to the loo every 15 mins or having to discover the staff loos in every local shop. Before this age he would scream if we even got the potty out the cupboard, they know when they are ready!!
Old 09-26-2012, 06:37 AM   #26
SAT887
DIS Veteran

I didn't read every response however. My 3yo had no desire to potty train even though she knew better. We had a potty in the bathroom, kitchen, living room... No luck. However I took her to Walmart and went to the potty aisle and let her choose the potty. Since that day about 8 months ago very few accidents (maybe 4 or 5). We picked a potty and a seat....

About a month ago at her 3 year appt I was talking to the Dr about how she refuses to try at night- 2 days later she demanded no diaper and has had only 1 accident.

Listen to your Dr but also keep trying. Kids do things when they are ready and sometimes you need to find the right trick. Getting my daughter involved was the buy in we needed. Heck the night time thing I think she was eavesdropping! Good luck!! Hoping something changes soon for you!

Also maybe consider a more natural pull up like 7th Generation? We used those for other reasons but they don't seem to wick moisture away as much.
SAT887 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:22 AM   #27
VeroBeachGirl
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chateau View Post
I let my kids walk around naked. They HATED the result of not using the toilet and potty trained right quick. Granted, it was summer and we were outside during most of the accidents, so I'd imagine this would be hard to do indoors.
THIS! We potty trained early (done at around 2.5) and it would take about a weekend. We would roll up the rugs (wood floors) and keep the kids au natural from the waist down. This, coupled with a potty chart has worked for us.

Most importantly, don't sweat it! Every kid is different.
VeroBeachGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:29 AM   #28
Melissa S
DIS Veteran

OP we also attachment parent but were able to fully potty train our daughter by 2 years 1 week (she was poop and nightime trained by 20 months). I didn't like the idea of pushing her into potty training but our pedi who also follows attachement parenting said it's a must. Few things we did.

1.) Read the "3 day method" and remember it takes more than 3 days...
2.) Have your child pick out a potty if they haven't already. DD chose the talking Elmo one
3.) Take your child underwear shopping. DD picked Disney Princesses and Minnie & Daisy
4.) Have plenty of wine and chocolate on hand because this will be the most stressful week of your life.
5.) Commit to no more diapers and have your child wear the underwear. Don't do bare bottom because they need to feel wet.
6.)Try to stay home as much as possible and give your child plenty of water. If you have to go out put the underwear on and THEN the Pullup and bring the potty with you.
7.) Have toys on hand that they picked out (DD had the plastic Disney Figurines) as a prize. Only give it to them if they go in the potty with underwear off. There were so many times she almost went and I wanted to but didn't.
8.) The hardest part, Keep Calm! There were times when DD would sit on the potty, NOTHING And then 2 seconds later pee all over the carpet.
9.) If they have an accident calm them down, give them a hug and say "next time we use the potty" and show them the potty and explain again. Don't get angry in front of them, just go into another room and cry and get upset.

This method worked for us and she was fully trained in four days. I have told my friends about it who have almost 3 year olds and five of them tried it and it worked within a week. I swear to you it will click for them. Our only regret is that we didn't do this sooner. We thought they had to be ready or interested in the potty. Not true. For public restrooms I had my husband train her because I get grossed out by public restrooms and she sensed it and was scared. I would line everything with paper and tell her not to touch anything and she wouldn't use the public toilet so he trained her since he was more relaxed about it. Good Luck and don't beat yourself up. It's the toughest thing I have done as a parent.

Magic October 27, 2013 (5 night Halloween on the High Seas)
Wonder March 2, 2013 (5 night)
Magic September 7, 2012 (5 night)
Magic June 2, 2012 (8 night)
Dream December 26, 2011 (3 night)
Melissa S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:25 AM   #29
Ana~n~Joseph
I cried like a baby when my 12 month old son met Mickey for the first time

My son just turned 3 and he was potty trained a week before. It really took months of working with him but we just let him set the pace. At school he would wear underwear on top of his pullup and they would take him to the potty every two hours. Eventually, he went to underwear and after a few accidents, he finally got it. #2 was the hardest but the day I had him clean up the mess he had made (with my help of course) he decided he didn't want to do that again so after that, he went to the potty. Did I bribe him? Yes...maybe. I bribed him with a trip to Disney World and a DCL cruise (he's going in November).

Dec ‘95 – ASMusic; Dec ‘96 – ASMusic; Dec ‘97 – offsite; Dec ‘98 – ASMusic; Dec ‘99 ASMovies ; Aug ‘02 – ASMusic ; Jan ‘06 – CBR (Honeymoon); Sept ‘06 – Pop; Nov ‘06 – ASMusic; March ‘07 – POR; Sep ‘07 – Pop; Sept '07 - DLP; Feb ‘08 – Pop; Sept ‘08 – CSR; Jan ‘09 – Pop; Jan’ 09 – CR Club; March ‘10 – Boardwalk; Sept ‘10 – CSR; May ‘11 – CR; Sept '11 - AKL; Dec '11 - AKL Club; Dec '11 - Christmas Cruise - Disney Dream; September 2012 - AKL w/ BFF - November 2012 - Pop w/ DS + Mom & Disney Dream; April 2013 Disney Magic - Coming Up: October 2013 - AKL-Kidani - ToT 10 miler; Dec 2013 - Wilderness Lodge; Feb 2014 - Disney Dream & AKL/BWV; Aug 2014 - Disney Magic Med; Sept 2014 - BLT, AKL & Disney Dream w/ BFF; Jan 2015 - Pop Century; October 2015 - Wine & Dine Half; Nov 2015 - Disney Wonder;
Ana~n~Joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:34 AM   #30
eva
Often uses her unique ability to shut down threads.

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa S View Post
OP we also attachment parent but were able to fully potty train our daughter by 2 years 1 week (she was poop and nightime trained by 20 months). I didn't like the idea of pushing her into potty training but our pedi who also follows attachement parenting said it's a must. Few things we did.

1.) Read the "3 day method" and remember it takes more than 3 days...
2.) Have your child pick out a potty if they haven't already. DD chose the talking Elmo one
3.) Take your child underwear shopping. DD picked Disney Princesses and Minnie & Daisy
4.) Have plenty of wine and chocolate on hand because this will be the most stressful week of your life.
5.) Commit to no more diapers and have your child wear the underwear. Don't do bare bottom because they need to feel wet.
6.)Try to stay home as much as possible and give your child plenty of water. If you have to go out put the underwear on and THEN the Pullup and bring the potty with you.
7.) Have toys on hand that they picked out (DD had the plastic Disney Figurines) as a prize. Only give it to them if they go in the potty with underwear off. There were so many times she almost went and I wanted to but didn't.
8.) The hardest part, Keep Calm! There were times when DD would sit on the potty, NOTHING And then 2 seconds later pee all over the carpet.
9.) If they have an accident calm them down, give them a hug and say "next time we use the potty" and show them the potty and explain again. Don't get angry in front of them, just go into another room and cry and get upset.

This method worked for us and she was fully trained in four days. I have told my friends about it who have almost 3 year olds and five of them tried it and it worked within a week. I swear to you it will click for them. Our only regret is that we didn't do this sooner. We thought they had to be ready or interested in the potty. Not true. For public restrooms I had my husband train her because I get grossed out by public restrooms and she sensed it and was scared. I would line everything with paper and tell her not to touch anything and she wouldn't use the public toilet so he trained her since he was more relaxed about it. Good Luck and don't beat yourself up. It's the toughest thing I have done as a parent.
This is the way we went. My daughters are now 27 and 29, so I come from a different era. Both girls were completely trained well before 2. We used a good bed pad to keep the bed dry. But even by 2 they were fine at night. Our pediatrician told us to go straight to panties and don't go back. It took about a week. But I think kids are often not going to have interest, if you make it too comfortable for them. My grandson is 3.5 and still not interested. But I think he would be more interested , if DD would give this a try. What does everyone do about preschool? All the schools in this area will not take a child until they are completely trained. So my DGS isn't able to go to preschool this year.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: