Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2012, 05:49 PM   #1
tazdev3225
I sucked my thumb up with the vacuum
I fell up a mountain skiing and sprained both my ankles

Severe sprained ankle and I leave in 12 days

Title pretty much says it all. I tripped over uneven cement yesterday and got a severe ankle sprain. I have to wear a boot for the next 4 weeks and leave for WDW in 12 days. I have a couple of questions as this is new for me and I will be traveling alone.

Renting a scooter - no problem did that before I got hurt as I have knee issues.

GAC - Do I need to get one? I had some issues in August with CM's wanting one even though I was in an ECV. This time besides the scooter I will have an obvious issue with the boot.

My bigger question is at the airport. I have traveled with knee supports before and had no problem taking them off so no problem with the TSA. With a boot do I need to take it off? I have actually always had good interactions with TSA so don't want to change that. I do have a wheelchair assistance noted on my reservation so I will also have that.

Thanks for any info you can help me with.
tazdev3225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 05:56 PM   #2
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazdev3225 View Post
Title pretty much says it all. I tripped over uneven cement yesterday and got a severe ankle sprain. I have to wear a boot for the next 4 weeks and leave for WDW in 12 days. I have a couple of questions as this is new for me and I will be traveling alone.

Renting a scooter - no problem did that before I got hurt as I have knee issues.

GAC - Do I need to get one? I had some issues in August with CM's wanting one even though I was in an ECV. That's weird. The CM should have seen the ECV and not asked for a GAC. This time besides the scooter I will have an obvious issue with the boot.

My bigger question is at the airport. I have traveled with knee supports before and had no problem taking them off so no problem with the TSA. With a boot do I need to take it off? They wouldn't make you take off a cast or a bandage. They really shouldn't make you take off a boot. They may use the wand to scan your foot for metal. I have actually always had good interactions with TSA so don't want to change that. I do have a wheelchair assistance noted on my reservation so I will also have that.

Good luck!
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-25-2012, 05:56 PM   #3
disney david
DIS Veteran

Quote:

GAC - Do I need to get one? I had some issues in August with CM's wanting one even though I was in an ECV. This time besides the scooter I will have an obvious issue with the boot.

My bigger question is at the airport. I have traveled with knee supports before and had no problem taking them off so no problem with the TSA. With a boot do I need to take it off? I have actually always had good interactions with TSA so don't want to change that. I do have a wheelchair assistance noted on my reservation so I will also have that.

here tsa info of what to do

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...appliance.shtm

Bring back Walter on the podcast we miss him
CHIP AND DALE ARE A LIST CHARACTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
disney david is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 05:58 PM   #4
disney david
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdb in AZ View Post
Good luck!
they have a machine that use for casts

here is the info not sure if it at every airport or at the airport the op using

http://www.tsa.gov/approach/tech/castscope.shtm

Old 09-26-2012, 10:24 AM   #5
ttintagel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I had one for the trip home last summer, and they didn't ask me to take it off. They did give me plastic canes to walk through the metal detector with instead of my metal crutches, though.
ttintagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:32 AM   #6
tazdev3225

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdb in AZ View Post
Good luck!
Thanks. I chatted with the CM and it seems there is some miscommunication amongst them. He actually was nice about it. I had the same issue at Buzz Lightyears Ranger Spin last year. I may stop by Guest services to be on the safe side this trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney david View Post
Thanks I did read that and will just play it by ear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney david View Post
they have a machine that use for casts

here is the info not sure if it at every airport or at the airport the op using

http://www.tsa.gov/approach/tech/castscope.shtm
I fly out of Philly International. I'm just going to do whatever they want. I'll be in a wheelchair so that will help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttintagel View Post
I had one for the trip home last summer, and they didn't ask me to take it off. They did give me plastic canes to walk through the metal detector with instead of my metal crutches, though.
Thanks. I'm not sure what to expect. I actually don't need the crutches but I walk really slow with this thing on. At least I'll have wheelchair assistance from the airline.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:47 AM   #7
minkydog
DIS Cast Member
hey! I've got two college degrees and a steady job. if I wanna watch mindless TV, so what?
DIS Official Rum Taster
I used to be in the all-natural camp.

I have flown twice with some kind of medical equipment on--once with a knee brace and once in a boot. Both times i was required to take off the equipment so they can scan it. I was not required to walk anywhere--they wanded me right there.

Be sure you take a reusable ice bag with you. About 5 years go I broke my ankle 4 weeks prior to our trip, Got the cast off 2 days before we left. Even after all that time, my ankle would swell up the size of a paint can! I took my reusable ice bag(bought at Walmart for the occasion) and I filled it up a few times a day at First Aid. The bag I have came with it's own velcro thingy so you can keep it on your ankle without your hands.

This will still be a relatively fresh injury 2 weeks from now. You really need to look for places at WDW where you can elevate your foot from time to time or it's going to be as big around as your head!
Old 09-26-2012, 03:23 PM   #8
BearcatsFan
we finally had a minute to breathe yesterday and sat down
Soak up the Sun

I just came back from a week-long trip to WDW with a severe sprain. ITA with minkydog about the ice pack - it will be your best friend while you're there. The heat, your foot hanging down all day, plus all the salty food you'll be eating, and your foot will be huge. I definitely suggest requesting some extra pillows as soon as you get to your hotel so you can prop your foot whenever you're there, and also at night.

As far as the TSA goes, I ended up suggesting the pat-down because they couldn't figure out what to do with me not being able to walk without my crutches.

HTH and hope you have a great trip!

Loving all things Disney since 1976.
BearcatsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:02 AM   #9
tazdev3225

Quote:
Originally Posted by minkydog View Post
I have flown twice with some kind of medical equipment on--once with a knee brace and once in a boot. Both times i was required to take off the equipment so they can scan it. I was not required to walk anywhere--they wanded me right there.

Be sure you take a reusable ice bag with you. About 5 years go I broke my ankle 4 weeks prior to our trip, Got the cast off 2 days before we left. Even after all that time, my ankle would swell up the size of a paint can! I took my reusable ice bag(bought at Walmart for the occasion) and I filled it up a few times a day at First Aid. The bag I have came with it's own velcro thingy so you can keep it on your ankle without your hands.

This will still be a relatively fresh injury 2 weeks from now. You really need to look for places at WDW where you can elevate your foot from time to time or it's going to be as big around as your head!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearcatsFan View Post
I just came back from a week-long trip to WDW with a severe sprain. ITA with minkydog about the ice pack - it will be your best friend while you're there. The heat, your foot hanging down all day, plus all the salty food you'll be eating, and your foot will be huge. I definitely suggest requesting some extra pillows as soon as you get to your hotel so you can prop your foot whenever you're there, and also at night.

As far as the TSA goes, I ended up suggesting the pat-down because they couldn't figure out what to do with me not being able to walk without my crutches.

HTH and hope you have a great trip!
Thank you both I never thought of an ice pack while I'm down there. And the extra pillows sounds good too.

I've had the pat down by TSA so not a huge deal. I made the mistake of wearing shorts with too much metal. The knee brace didn't have metal so not an issue. This boot has several metal support bars. I can take it off and walk a step or two so I'll see what happens. I'm traveling alone so I think that is what has me more worried. If my DH were going with me I would have the extra help I need.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:39 PM   #10
disney david
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazdev3225

Thank you both I never thought of an ice pack while I'm down there. And the extra pillows sounds good too.

I've had the pat down by TSA so not a huge deal. I made the mistake of wearing shorts with too much metal. The knee brace didn't have metal so not an issue. This boot has several metal support bars. I can take it off and walk a step or two so I'll see what happens. I'm traveling alone so I think that is what has me more worried. If my DH were going with me I would have the extra help I need.
If you need a new ice PAC while in te park just stop by first aid and they give you a new one. Or you could bring a zip lock gallon size bag or hat ever brand you like and they could give you ice at any quick service restaurant.

Old 09-30-2012, 12:19 AM   #11
EskiLvr
Mouseketeer

You shouldn't have to take your boot off...

Quote:

With you having to use the boot to *walk* (and yes, I would have a letter from your doctor with you confirming that this indeed a requirement for you), the TSA is not in the position to require you to walk without it. They are also not supposed to make you remove it - they can swab it as much as they want, but for all intents and purposes, *it is a part of you.*

I'm facing the same situation next week - I had ankle surgery mid-summer, and just graduated from a boot to a lace-up ASO brace this week. I'm sure that TSA is going to love seeing me lurching up to the check-thru area (walking is still an adventure). My son also has scoliosis and wears a full-torso brace - so we've done a *lot* of reading on this.

Good luck... and hoping for you to have smooth travels!
DVC Since 2008... BCV - 6/08, VLW - 10/09, Royal Pacific and SSR - 7/10... 5 Night Dream Double Dip - 7/11, 7 Night Fantasy Western - 3/13… Family Getaway to SSR Treehouses, June 2014... Counting down to an Alaskan Anniversary Cruise - July 2015!

EskiLvr is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: