Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2012, 06:07 PM   #1
kiki02
DIS Veteran

Florida homeowners what's the

mandatory list we'd need for an inspection for the home?

Trying to budget this is crazy. Do I need wind mitigation? (is that like hurricane insurance)?

i 'm being told it's $400 to inspect a 1550 sf home. sounds high, right? thanks all. still shopping......
kiki02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:59 PM   #2
vicki_c
DIS Veteran

I don't know about the list, but the price doesn't seem that off to me. We paid something close to $400 for one over 6 years ago. Even my first house purchased In 1996, we paid a few hundred dollars, maybe $250.
June 1978 - Poly / Nov 1996 - Yacht Club / Jan 2001 - Poly / Jan/Feb 2004 - Wilderness Lodge / 2004-2006: Animal Kingdom Lodge, Nick Hotel, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans Riverside, HI Sunspree, Buena Vista Suites, Caribe Royale / Jan 2008 - Poly / June 2008 - Saratoga Springs and Villas @ Wilderness Lodge / Nov 2008 -Boardwalk Villas / Dec 2008 - WL, Beach Club Villas and Beach Club / June 2009 - POFQ and Poly / Jan 2010 - AKV, 4 night DCL & BCV / Nov 2010 - POFQ / April 2011 - SSR / Nov 2011 Swan / Jan 2012 - BC/ April 2012 OKW / April 2014 AoA & AKV
vicki_c is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-25-2012, 08:24 PM   #3
Ali
DIS Veteran

I paid $350 in 2001 for a 1550 Sq ft home. Seems normal to me.
Ali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:28 PM   #4
wgeo
That's the kind of day where you can't open your mouth without a song jumping right out of it!

Sorry, I'm not in FL, but that's close to what we paid in WI, so it seems normal to me.

DH me DS 10 DD 9

WDW Trips: 1982, 1987, 1994, 2011, 2012, 2014
Disney Magic: 2014
wgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:04 PM   #5
jgreco
Mouseketeer

You want the wind mitigation (report) done to give to the insurance co to receive insurance discounts you may be eligible for.

I would pay extra to have a mold inspection, termite inspection (especially in Florida) and septic system if applicable.

What year was the house built? This would help a lot in helping you compile a list of what to check.

I would not trust your realtor in an inspector suggestion unless he/she is someone you really trust. It is in their best interest to make sure your closing goes smoothly if you know what I mean.

Our inspector missed over $10k in issues which had to be fixed almost immediately due to the home's electrical being out of code, among other issues. I wish we had some legal recourse. He had a $1000 bond which only paid out $125.

BTW- We paid $600 for our inspection but included the above + dock and seawall inspection.
jgreco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:14 PM   #6
KodakFigment
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiki02 View Post
mandatory list we'd need for an inspection for the home?

Trying to budget this is crazy. Do I need wind mitigation? (is that like hurricane insurance)?

i 'm being told it's $400 to inspect a 1550 sf home. sounds high, right? thanks all. still shopping......
The list will vary depending on where in FL you are buying. We bought in the Orlando area in April 2012. We didn't need a wind mitigation or flood inspection. We did have a full home inspection, mold inspection and termite inspection. Together they were about $500. I think the appraisal itself was $375 on a 2100 sq. ft SF home. We had the report by email the next day. The appraiser took about 2.5 hours and we were present.
If the house is vacant/ foreclosure you may have to pay to have the utilities turned on for the inspection. Don't let them tell you they can inspect without the water/gas/electric being on.
Hire an independent appraiser, not one from the real estate office who will say anything to get the sale through. There are National Certification Boards for appraisers. Go to the website and look for well rated inspectors who work in your area.
Buying a home in FL was a lot harder than buying on in upstate NY where we lived before. Make sure you leave time to shop for Homeowner's insurance, the prices were all over the place!!
Good Luck!

Halfway through the Resort list - but now living only minutes away
KodakFigment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:07 AM   #7
4GoofyCrew
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgeo View Post
Sorry, I'm not in FL, but that's close to what we paid in WI, so it seems normal to me.
Ditto. It sounds reasonable to me.
01-2012 AS SPORTS Free DDP
Always dreaming about another trip!
4GoofyCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:30 AM   #8
kiki02
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodakFigment View Post
The list will vary depending on where in FL you are buying. We bought in the Orlando area in April 2012. We didn't need a wind mitigation or flood inspection. We did have a full home inspection, mold inspection and termite inspection. Together they were about $500. I think the appraisal itself was $375 on a 2100 sq. ft SF home. We had the report by email the next day. The appraiser took about 2.5 hours and we were present.
If the house is vacant/ foreclosure you may have to pay to have the utilities turned on for the inspection. Don't let them tell you they can inspect without the water/gas/electric being on.
Hire an independent appraiser, not one from the real estate office who will say anything to get the sale through. There are National Certification Boards for appraisers. Go to the website and look for well rated inspectors who work in your area.
Buying a home in FL was a lot harder than buying on in upstate NY where we lived before. Make sure you leave time to shop for Homeowner's insurance, the prices were all over the place!!
Good Luck!
thanks! THE HOUSE WAS built in 2006. in south florida, jupiter area (if we buy it).
Old 09-26-2012, 08:51 AM   #9
m_fancher
Mouseketeer

we bought in south florida 2.5 yrs ago and paid just under $400 for our inspection. we had mold and termite inspection but not the wind mitigation. in our area there was a large problem with chinese drywall being used in the newer homes (built 6-7 yrs ago) so that was also something that our inspector looked for and contacted the builder on.
i was greatly surprised with the increase in homeowners insurance compared to our previous payments in WI. so shop around!
m_fancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:52 AM   #10
m_fancher
Mouseketeer

LOVE jupiter area...great place... we are just north of you!
I would love to move to jupiter!!
m_fancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:06 AM   #11
girli565
A Miami kind of girl

We just paid $520 for our inspection of a 2000sq ft home in Miami, and it included a chinese drywall inspection. Without the chinese drywall inspection it would have been $450.
girli565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:17 AM   #12
AmericangirlinFrance
DIS Veteran

We're also in Palm Beach County (going through a refi right now) and were told $400 for a 1100 sf condo... BUT most likely we will not have to have an appraisal, since it's a condo (or something like that? I don't know). So that number sounds right.

Florida residents!
AmericangirlinFrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:23 AM   #13
jgreco
Mouseketeer

What neighborhood? You can DM if you'd like to keep it private. Have lived in this area since 1979 and I am very familiar with most of Jupiter. There are particular neighborhoods which have been known to have particular issues which should be checked into. If its an HOA neighborhood, some of the neighborhoods have serious financial issues due to the housing bust. I would check online for financials or minutes for the community you are looking into. Bristol Management manages many HOA, that would be a good start.
jgreco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:40 AM   #14
kiki02
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_fancher View Post
we bought in south florida 2.5 yrs ago and paid just under $400 for our inspection. we had mold and termite inspection but not the wind mitigation. in our area there was a large problem with chinese drywall being used in the newer homes (built 6-7 yrs ago) so that was also something that our inspector looked for and contacted the builder on.
i was greatly surprised with the increase in homeowners insurance compared to our previous payments in WI. so shop around!
would you mind pm / ing me the name of someone you used for inspection if you liked them? thanks
Old 09-27-2012, 03:20 PM   #15
MissBritt
It's a small, small world.

Paid $425 for 1780sf in 2008, N FL.

December 2009-Port Orleans Riverside DXDDP
January 2010-All Star Sports QSDP
December 2010- Coronado Springs DDP
December 2011- POP Century

MK 9Xs, HS 2Xs, EP 2Xs, AK 3Xs, BB 1Xs, CdS 1Xs
MissBritt is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread