Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-25-2012, 09:58 PM   #16
chloelovesdisney
DIS Veteran
 
chloelovesdisney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 5,376

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasha99 View Post
This varies so much by field that I wouldn't assume the economy has hit (or hasn't hit) the OP's husband's job. I work in a school, and our district has a glut of certain jobs, but has had a very hard time filling other positions.

OP--I think you and your husband's parents should just leave this up to him. He would know best about the climate in his field as far as pay and bonuses.
While that's true, I'll say when we are offering a sign on bonus, we come right out with that information. If we don't, it's not happening. Obviously not everyplace is the same.
__________________

chloelovesdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:15 AM   #17
Eeyore'sthebest
DIS Veteran
Not So Tagless in NJ
They don't call them crackberries for nothing!
talk about chafing!
 
Eeyore'sthebest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Jersey Girl!
Posts: 6,741

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Anne View Post
I work in HR - re COBRA you have 60 days to sign up, you do not have to sign up the first day you leave your company, if your non coverage period is less then the 60 days, just do not pay the bill, if you need to go to the dr. pay for the appointment which will cost far less then the cobra payment. In the event of a real accident, emergency, illness and you are still within the 60 days just make the COBRA payment and your insurance will be effective as of the term date of employment from the other company. I strongly suggest that you do not under any circumstances let your insurance lapse in the event the new job's insurance does not kick in before the 60 days lapse.

And I agree with the above poster, the job market is very different. They do not have to offer him anything other then a job. If he is really interested they he has to make a decision.
Glad you mentioned this as most people don't realize you can do this. I didn't know this until someone at a previous job informed me. Makes the decision much easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janepod View Post
Are you leaving the old job in, say, early October and starting the new one later in October, then covered Nov. 1? Because if that's the case, the insurance premiums paid at the first job (October payroll deductions) should be valid (i.e., keep you insured) through October 31. At least that has always been my experience - perhaps it varies by employer, insurance company, or state. But you should look into that.
I've actually stayed at a job until the first or second day of the month to get coverage through the end of the month. I left my last job on 9/2 and started at my current job on 9/19. There was no lapse in coverage at all. I used my old insurance through the end of September while I waited for the cards, etc. for the new job. And thank goodness I had it. DD ended up in the emergency room with a severely sprained ankle, torn tendons, etc. 2 days after my other job terminated.

OP - I would leave this decision to your DH. He knows the field, he knows the job market. Unless you are in the same field as DH, let him make that call. Good luck with everything.
__________________
Allison
DH Me DD13
Eeyore'sthebest is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 09-26-2012, 07:24 AM   #18
padams
Hey, I've never posted on a locked thread before
I am always Cindy Lou Hoo
We've had them howling under our bedroom
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Neverland USA
Posts: 2,340

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueEyedGirls View Post
DH interviewed for a new job and got an offer today! He is very unhappy where he is now, and this new offer is with a company he worked for before (completely different division/location) so he's very excited about the opportunity.

The past 2 times he has changed jobs, we were given very generous moving packages plus a sign on bonus. This time, we won't have to move, so they obviously won't have any expense to move him for the new job. However, when they called to make the offer, they said there was no sign on bonus included. We also *might* have a short lapse in insurance coverage since they won't cover us until the first of the month, which will cost us $2000+ for COBRA if we need it during that time.

Unfortunately, there would only be a very small increase in pay, but still a very good salary for the position. So other than his own sanity , they really aren't offering him much incentive to go there. Since they obviously want him, I think maybe he should try to negotiate a sign on bonus since they don't have to pay a penny to move us and because of the lapse in insurance etc. Of course, his parents think he might mess up the offer by even asking, so now he doesn't know what to do.

Any thoughts?? Thanks!
Not in this economy. Be thankful for a job offer.
padams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:35 AM   #19
gwynne
DIS Veteran
 
gwynne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: In the polar vortex
Posts: 2,708

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueEyedGirls View Post
DH interviewed for a new job and got an offer today! He is very unhappy where he is now, and this new offer is with a company he worked for before (completely different division/location) so he's very excited about the opportunity.

The past 2 times he has changed jobs, we were given very generous moving packages plus a sign on bonus. This time, we won't have to move, so they obviously won't have any expense to move him for the new job. However, when they called to make the offer, they said there was no sign on bonus included. We also *might* have a short lapse in insurance coverage since they won't cover us until the first of the month, which will cost us $2000+ for COBRA if we need it during that time.

Unfortunately, there would only be a very small increase in pay, but still a very good salary for the position. So other than his own sanity , they really aren't offering him much incentive to go there. Since they obviously want him, I think maybe he should try to negotiate a sign on bonus since they don't have to pay a penny to move us and because of the lapse in insurance etc. Of course, his parents think he might mess up the offer by even asking, so now he doesn't know what to do.

Any thoughts?? Thanks!
BBM...It is your DH's call. How did his parents find out about this? Who told them about the change and options he is considering? JMO, it's better to let parents know about a job change after you've made a decision, not before if you'd rather they didn't weigh in with their thoughts.
About negotiation--as others have noted, it really depends on your line of work whether negotiating is a great tactic these days. It could work, it could backfire. If he really wants the job, tread carefully here.
__________________
GinnyCertified resort changer. Trip planning is half the fun!
TY Kook!
gwynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:42 AM   #20
mickeyboat
Nothing like the cream and chocolate combination
Thank you for omitting the footwear today
Moons are a sign of intelligence and beauty
 
mickeyboat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Here!
Posts: 20,869

As for COBRA, you have gotten some good advice. Your current coverage should not terminate until the end of the month your DH leaves his job. If your new coverage starts the first of the following month, you should be all set.

If there is no sign on bonus, there is no sign on bonus. Period. End of story. If your DH would like to negotiate, he should stick to negotiating salary or vacation time, not ask for a benefit that the company has not offered.

Personally if the job is what I wanted, and I was happy with what was offered, I would not negotiate for anything. When I took my last job, I negotiated for a slight salary increase and an extra week of vacation, since they were only offering two weeks.

Good luck!
__________________
Enjoy yourself. These are the "good old days" you're going to miss in the years ahead. - Author Unknown

So couldnít we all come to the conclusion that itís not the PLACE that counts, itís the people who contribute to it? - Delswife
mickeyboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:18 AM   #21
Janepod
The new dinning plan is out. Need to get those ressies in!
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Fairfield County
Posts: 3,451

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore'sthebest View Post
Glad you mentioned this as most people don't realize you can do this. I didn't know this until someone at a previous job informed me. Makes the decision much easier.


I've actually stayed at a job until the first or second day of the month to get coverage through the end of the month. I left my last job on 9/2 and started at my current job on 9/19. There was no lapse in coverage at all. I used my old insurance through the end of September while I waited for the cards, etc. for the new job. And thank goodness I had it. DD ended up in the emergency room with a severely sprained ankle, torn tendons, etc. 2 days after my other job terminated.

OP - I would leave this decision to your DH. He knows the field, he knows the job market. Unless you are in the same field as DH, let him make that call. Good luck with everything.
Me too! And in that time I cut my finger open on a can of cranberry, meaning ER, stitches, tetanus shot, follow ups, etc. It would not have broken the bank if I had to pay OOP but it was nice to have the insurance coverage.
Janepod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:26 AM   #22
ccgirl
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Posts: 7,419

Others have given some great advice. It is a different job market, in general, than it was in the past. Was the sign on bonus mentioned during the interview or in the position itself? If not, it's probably not something they were offering for this position. Has this position been available for a while? Was he the only one that was going for it?

As someone mentioned, is $2,000 (before taxes) or $1200 (after taxes) worth the possiblilty of them rescinding the offer? Sure, they could just say no or yes, for that matter. Or, if there was someone else in close contention they may just rescind the offer and go with the "cheaper" person. You already mentioned he was getting a raise to work for a better company/job.

Good luck with your decision.
__________________
MEDH37DD7DS2
May 1 - May 8 2010 BWV Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2466128
Dec 2 - Dec 12 2010 ASMo and Marriott Harbour Lake
Pre-Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2503063
Oct 2011 - F&W AKL and BCV
May 2012 - HGVC SeaWorld
ccgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:31 AM   #23
Arielle22
We have had spirits
I had never heard of it before the Dis
this is how we show love, get used to it
 
Arielle22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Boston,MA
Posts: 2,383

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyboat View Post
As for COBRA, you have gotten some good advice. Your current coverage should not terminate until the end of the month your DH leaves his job. If your new coverage starts the first of the following month, you should be all set.

If there is no sign on bonus, there is no sign on bonus. Period. End of story. If your DH would like to negotiate, he should stick to negotiating salary or vacation time, not ask for a benefit that the company has not offered.

Personally if the job is what I wanted, and I was happy with what was offered, I would not negotiate for anything. When I took my last job, I negotiated for a slight salary increase and an extra week of vacation, since they were only offering two weeks.

Good luck!
When coverage ends depends on the company. I am in HR and handle negotiations for insurance. We cover until the end of the month. At my last company it ended at the end of the work week you were termed in. The reason is cost. If the company pays part of the premiums it will save money by cancelling immediately after the term.

OP, you say your husband has worked for the company before. Perhaps the company has a policy that you only get a sign on bonus once or the company may have stopped having to offer them.

It is a touchy thing to counteroffer. Like other posters have said, it depends on how in demand the skill set is.

Personally I wouldn't want to rock the boat if I really wanted out of my current position. Really the only cost you may be out is the part of insurance that the company pays for one month (since you would have had to pay the premiums if DH was still employed that is not an unexpected cost).
__________________
BI 11/05
WL 8/03,8/06,11/10, 11/13
POR 10/01
CB 03/92
CSR and BC 08/09
BWI 11/11
OFF SITE 88,94,96,00




Arielle22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:31 AM   #24
design_mom
I am probably more like my dad than I care to admit
I hate touching raw meat
 
design_mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 2,905

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv Bunnies View Post
In this job market, I would take the salary offered and ask for the month of COBRA to be covered, nothing more.
I agree, and I would probably ask for COBRA to be covered if it really made a difference in whether I could afford it. Any time you counteroffer, you give them the opportunity to say "no thanks, we've reconsidered." At my previous company, only a handful of jobs offered a signing bonus and those were jobs that they were having trouble filling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut36 View Post
Why do people go with COBRA vs getting a private plan for the interim? That is outrageous for Cobra!
I think it can be difficult to get a private plan, while COBRA is guaranteed. I am currently self-employed but my husband has medical benefits. When I was laid off last year, we switched to his benefits. However, several other people were laid off at the same time. I know at least two of them were the benefit-carriers for their families because their spouses either didn't work or were self-employed. Neither of them have been able to find private coverage due to pre-existing conditions. (And one of them is one of the healthiest, most fitness conscious people I know.)
__________________
Mom to DS13 and DD9.
design_mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:18 AM   #25
Green Tea
I don't do hatchets
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 6,406

You need to look at the opportunity long term, not short. If he will be happier a year from now, if he will be making a fair salary, if it is a good and stable company to work for, then don't worry about a sign on bonus.

As long as the new employer will cover preexisting conditions, like if something dreadful happened in the few weeks prior to the new policy's effective date, then the most you have to worry with is the COBRA payment IF an accident requiring a good deal of medical care were to occur.

The HR person gave a great explanation above. Sign up so the insurance remains in effect. Unless something terrible happens, don't pay. If something terrible happens, pay the COBRA for the month and slide into the new policy.
Green Tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:00 PM   #26
mill4023
DIS Veteran
 
mill4023's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 3,751

Quote:
Originally Posted by padams View Post
Not in this economy. Be thankful for a job offer.
As others have said, it really depends on the industry, area, etc.
From my perspective, the job market is great.

I updated my resume on Career Builder about a month ago. Within 48 hours, I had received 26 calls or emails from recruiters. I'm still getting 3 or 4 calls per day.
I was interested in one job. I had a phone interview, then an in-person interview, then they offered me the job.

Their standard is to start people with 2.5 weeks of vacation.
I asked for 15k more than their initial offer and 4 weeks of vacation.
They countered with 5k more and 3 weeks.
I countered with 10k more and 3.5 weeks.
They said yes.
I start next week.

I'm in software development.
__________________
April, 2005 - Port Orleans Riverside
March, 2006 - All Star Movies, Port Orleans Riverside
December, 2006 - Port Orleans Riverside
September, 2007 - Pop Century
June, 2011 - Indian Creek Villa

Fun family games for a road trip

The 9 best iPhone apps for a road trip
mill4023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:27 PM   #27
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 9,124

For those saying simply "take the job"...

Just wondering if you think it would look bad if the OP's DH (or anyone in this position) goes back and says "Is there any room for negotiation?" Then, if they say "No, the offer's it.", he can accept or decline. If they say "Yes", he could then counter offer.

I'm guessing even if you've got a job offer from the local fast food place, asking such a question isn't going to result in them rescinding the offer.

ETA: If it was me and the $2K difference was the only problem, I probably wouldn't ask for more.
__________________
Oasis of the Seas W. Caribbean June 8-June 15, 2013
Barcelo Maya Palace June 29-July 6, 2012
Bay Lake Towers, WDW June 1 - June 6, 2011
Polynesian, WDW Dec. 29, 2008 - Jan. 3, 2009
Wilderness Lodge, WDW, June 2005
Polynesian, WDW Sept. 7 - Sept. 14, 2001
Caribbean Beach, June 1993
sam_gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:48 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.