Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2012, 12:55 PM   #1
tikkipoo
DIS Veteran

How do you carry your FRIO wallet

I have been researching cooling packs for our next trip in June. It seems that the FRIO is the best option for carrying DH insulin pen. Do you throw is inside your backpack or does it need to hang on the outside to keep cool?
tikkipoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:05 PM   #2
ttintagel
DIS Veteran

I only needed to use it on the trip down (pump rather than pen), but I kept it in my purse, and it was OK for the eight-hour trip.
ttintagel is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-24-2012, 01:17 PM   #3
tikkipoo
DIS Veteran

I'm worried with the heat in the parks. I read somewhere that it needs air to work property.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:52 PM   #4
disney david
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikkipoo
I'm worried with the heat in the parks. I read somewhere that it needs air to work property.
The first aid stations can hold your meds in the Fridge at each park.

Bring back Walter on the podcast we miss him
CHIP AND DALE ARE A LIST CHARACTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
disney david is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:34 PM   #5
Cheshire Figment
Friend of Figment

I keep mine in my fanny pack. It gets enough air to not have any problems.

Now Working Part Time at Walt Disney World! (Guest Services/Ticket Sales)

A few very helpful links which are on DisBoards:
Everything About WDW Tickets and this one disABILITIES FAQs
Cheshire Figment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 04:03 PM   #6
tikkipoo
DIS Veteran

Thanks everyone!
Old 09-24-2012, 05:51 PM   #7
melancholywings
How do you prepare for a bank full of nuns?
'I'm thinking of a disney character'

I've had some bad luck with the Frio wallet. At first it worked great...then after a bit of time it stopped staying 'cool' and we had insulin spoil. In fairness it was really, really hot. Then a year later the thing leaked all over her bag.

We're not on a pen but before a trip I'll put aside a half filled bottle of insulin. Enough for one or two pod changes. And that will be the 'park' vial. So that if it goes bad we won't have to toss the whole thing. I use a small soft sided cooler. Put an ice-pack on the bottom, layer bubble wrap above that. Then the insulin in the frio above that. I also pack extra ziploc baggies because if it starts to get too warm I'll get ice from a restaurant and make a back up ice pack. We try not to leave the insulin in first aid unless it's super hot as we get so wrapped up in the fun that sometimes the pod changes will happen while standing in line for an attraction.

I would also recommend a small flashlight for your bag. I can't count how many times we've dropped the lancet in the backpack and have to hunt for it at night.
melancholywings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:21 AM   #8
PatsMom
Sometimes has Dory moments!
I have two brothers and either of them would have been proud to be suspended for stinking up the bus

I have had good luck with the Frio. I also just put mine in my fanny pack or backpack and it seems to keep cool enough.

It does need some air according to what I read on the instructions but it seems to get enough in the pack. If you are concerned, you could tuck it into an outside pocket.
September 1996 - Fort Wilderness (DD and DH's first trip) October 1999 - Fort Wilderness November 2001 - Fort Wilderness November 2004 - Fort Wilderness November 2005 - Saratoga Springs December 2006 - Saratoga Springs February 2007 - All Star Sports August 2007 - Boardwalk Villas November 2007 - Saratoga Springs February 2008 - Villas at the Wilderness Lodge August 2008 - Old Key West
December 2008 - Saratoga Springs February 2009 - Beach Club Villas September 2009 (50th birthday trip) - Bay Lake Tower January 2010 - Animal Kingdom Villas (Kidani Village) May 2010 - Old Key West September 2010 - Bay Lake Tower May 2011 - Beach Club Villas October 2011 - Saratoga Springs January 2012 - Old Key West May 2012 - Old Key West October 2012 - Old Key West January 2013 - Family gathering at Old Key West; May 2013 - Wilderness Lodge Villas; November 2013 - AKL Jambo House; February 2014 - Saratoga Springs
PatsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:41 AM   #9
buffettgirl
The whole tag thing, so 1990's internet *****. Why can't you say "f o r u m"?

We have also tucked it into our backpack. It just need to have air circulating around it, so it can't be placed into a tight bag.

Leaving insulin at first aid stations isn't practical for most people as they often need to use it multiple times during the day. (when my son took shots it was every bite of food needed a shot, so walking to and from first aid isn't doable. )
buffettgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:29 PM   #10
katml14
Mouseketeer

I love our Frio - we generally just throw it in whatever bag we are carrying into the park, whether it is a backpack or my purse. I have found that if you activate the FRIO before you leave, try activating it in *cool* to *cold* water and it will keep the overall temp of the pack (and its contents) at a comfortable temp. If we put the FRIO in just luke warm water, it doesnt keep its contents at a comfortable temp as long as I would like.

Old 09-27-2012, 02:51 PM   #11
tikkipoo
DIS Veteran

Great! Thanks for being so helpful!
Old 09-27-2012, 11:02 PM   #12
Belle & Ariel
DIS Veteran

We use the Novolog flexpens and they do not need to be refrigerated if you finish it in 28 days. We bring what we need plus one extra and do not refrigerate them. We leave night shot and extras in hotel and just carry what we need for the day.
We also always carry Glucagon--used it at DHS once and were very thankful to have had it with us when son passed out.
Belle & Ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 05:29 AM   #13
tikkipoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle & Ariel View Post
We use the Novolog flexpens and they do not need to be refrigerated if you finish it in 28 days. We bring what we need plus one extra and do not refrigerate them. We leave night shot and extras in hotel and just carry what we need for the day.
We also always carry Glucagon--used it at DHS once and were very thankful to have had it with us when son passed out.
SO, I checked the website. DH is on Humalog and the website says
"Opened vials should be kept at room temperature or in a refrigerator. Opened cartridges or prefilled pens should be kept at room temperature."

Here he thougth if it got to room temperature, it was no good anymore. Luckily this has only happened once with an almost empty pen, so we didn't make a huge mistake!
Old 09-28-2012, 08:07 AM   #14
buffettgirl
The whole tag thing, so 1990's internet *****. Why can't you say "f o r u m"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikkipoo View Post
SO, I checked the website. DH is on Humalog and the website says
"Opened vials should be kept at room temperature or in a refrigerator. Opened cartridges or prefilled pens should be kept at room temperature."

Here he thougth if it got to room temperature, it was no good anymore. Luckily this has only happened once with an almost empty pen, so we didn't make a huge mistake!
oh gosh!

All unopened insulin needs to stay in the fridge. Once you take it out of the fridge it's only good for 28 days. So if you're travelling with spare insulin that's unopened, keep it cold.

But once opened, insulin is good for 28 days, whether you keep it in the fridge or not. So we tend to just keep ours out on the counter while in use. of course, we generally empty the vial before 28 days anyway...
buffettgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:12 AM   #15
PatsMom
Sometimes has Dory moments!
I have two brothers and either of them would have been proud to be suspended for stinking up the bus

I don't refrigerate my opened Lantus pen. But I do keep it from going above "room temperature". So in the warm weather in Florida I use the Frio. But in the winter, I just throw the pen in my bag. At home I keep it on the counter. It stings less when it is not at refrigerator temperature.

I wouldn't trust the Frio to keep my unopened spare supply at refrigerator temperature, just to keep my open pen from getting too warm.
September 1996 - Fort Wilderness (DD and DH's first trip) October 1999 - Fort Wilderness November 2001 - Fort Wilderness November 2004 - Fort Wilderness November 2005 - Saratoga Springs December 2006 - Saratoga Springs February 2007 - All Star Sports August 2007 - Boardwalk Villas November 2007 - Saratoga Springs February 2008 - Villas at the Wilderness Lodge August 2008 - Old Key West
December 2008 - Saratoga Springs February 2009 - Beach Club Villas September 2009 (50th birthday trip) - Bay Lake Tower January 2010 - Animal Kingdom Villas (Kidani Village) May 2010 - Old Key West September 2010 - Bay Lake Tower May 2011 - Beach Club Villas October 2011 - Saratoga Springs January 2012 - Old Key West May 2012 - Old Key West October 2012 - Old Key West January 2013 - Family gathering at Old Key West; May 2013 - Wilderness Lodge Villas; November 2013 - AKL Jambo House; February 2014 - Saratoga Springs
PatsMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: