Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2012, 03:36 PM   #1
sh00tfire
Mouseketeer

Halloween party Candy management

My family and I are going to the Mickeys Halloween party for our first time on 10/19. I have heard from others that the trick or treat candy can be a bit overwhelming because there is so much of it. I dread having to drag around the bags of my younger kids because it is getting too heavy for them to carry. Does anyone have any suggestions how they handle this? How early in the party does the trick or treating start? I was thinking about a big backpack or just renting a locker....

Just wondering how others handle the copious amounts of candy that are given out at the party.

Disneyland 1992, 2004, 2005, 2007, 2008, APs(Jan, May, Oct, Dec 2012)
Disneyworld 1993, 2007
sh00tfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 03:55 PM   #2
GrandBob
Grand events should not go unnoticed
That's the Disney master plan!
For a carnivore, it was very good indeed

I plan on doing both - backpack and locker. Grandpa (me) will be wearing the backpack, which all 5 of us will dump into. I'll periodically dump the contents of the backpack into a locker.

We usually rent a locker in the cool seasons anyway. It gets pretty cool when the sun goes down. So we can be in t-shirts and shorts during the day, but keep heavier clothes in the locker for later. Sometimes it's cool enough in the mornings that we start with heavy clothes, then strip down, then bundle back up in the evenings. In any case, a locker is very handy.

-Bob
GrandBob is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-25-2012, 04:29 PM   #3
figment_jii
DIS Veteran

They start handing out the candy when the party starts.

If they're still available when you get to DL, I would rent a locker. My family does that so we can drop things off (and pick-up things like jackets) during the party time. If you rent a locker during the day, you can still use it during the party hours (i.e., you don't have to re-rent a locker for the party) - at least this was the case last year.

Another suggestion might be to only do a little trick-or-treating early so you don't have to carry around the candy and then do the rest of the trick-or-treating towards the end of the party (or just before you're heading out). Last year the lines were much shorter during the latter half of the party. It was a lot of fun!
figment_jii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 04:47 PM   #4
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

Keep in mind - the candy is not going to chase you down and jump in your bags. You will only get as much candy as you seek out. You don't have to go to every treat trail, nor every treat station along each trail, if you feel you are collecting too much. There are lots of trails and stations. If you only want to take home a bit of candy, you can limit your stops.

Otherwise, the locker is a great idea!

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Sherry E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 05:14 PM   #5
DnA2010
Mouseketeer

I'd say just check out a couple of treat trails get a bit of candy and then focus on other parts of the night
Old 09-25-2012, 06:37 PM   #6
KateDrake
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by figment_jii View Post

Another suggestion might be to only do a little trick-or-treating early so you don't have to carry around the candy and then do the rest of the trick-or-treating towards the end of the party (or just before you're heading out). Last year the lines were much shorter during the latter half of the party. It was a lot of fun!
This is a great idea. I really suggest leaving the Trick or Treating until the end, simply because the amount of candy they give you is unreal! We ended up taking a reusable shopping bag and dumping our candy in there, and keeping it in the bottom basket of our stroller. But really, you can just visit a couple of trails to get the feel, and then do the rest of the party activities. If candy is a priority, there are a ton of cast members at the exits who basically fill your bag.

Just as a side note, we got so much candy last year that I didn't have to buy candy to give away to trick or treaters here at home! And even after that, I still had some left over! And we only did about half of the treat trails, so that puts it in perspective!

Have a great time! It will be so much fun!
KateDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:03 PM   #7
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

Speaking of Halloween Time, in case anyone happens to be around tomorrow evening and would like to chat or ask questions about the Halloween Time happenings, or any particular aspect of the season, the DIS Unplugged podcast team (including Tom and Mary Jo) and I are doing a call-in show and we would love to hear from you! I'd love to put some voices to the names I know so well!

Here is the thread with more information: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=46264243

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014

Last edited by Sherry E; 09-25-2012 at 07:08 PM.
Sherry E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:45 PM   #8
Eclectic Goddess
My Ears are a Pair of Devil Horns

When we went last year, we'd heard that the "Treat Trails" were always crazy at first but died down later in the evening. The lines for treats were REALLY long when we went in, so we didn't even bother. Instead we focused on rides and other party activities for the first couple of hours. Why stand in line for candy that will still be there later?

When we did finally decide to get some treats, just after the fireworks, we were able to walk right through all the lines we passed, with no waiting. We loaded up on what we wanted (which admittedly wasn't much) and by then only wanted to go on a few more rides before we called it a night, so we weren't carrying our bags around for long.

Unless treat gathering is your focus and you're aiming for a big haul, skip the lines until later in the evening.

Disneyland Trips
Fall 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013 ~ Gay Days Anaheim
Winter 2013 ~ Off Season Magic
Fall 2014 ~ DF's Birthday Extravaganza!
*January 2015 ~ Star Wars Half Marathon Weekend*
*Spring 2015 ~ Star Wars Celebration*

Orlando Trips
Fall 2010 ~ Harry Potter Emersion Therapy / Visit to the ‘World
Spring 2012 ~ Taking the HLP on Holiday!
Spring 2014 ~ Princess Half Marathon Weekend / Wizarding World
Eclectic Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:51 PM   #9
Kilala
Mouseketeer

I'm really thinking of getting a locker for MHT on the 23rd. I'm going try to get there between 3 and 4pm. Last time the bag I was carring was way too heavy.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:09 PM   #10
krispin41
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilala
I'm really thinking of getting a locker for MHT on the 23rd. I'm going try to get there between 3 and 4pm. Last time the bag I was carring was way too heavy.
I went last year as well, but I don't remember the trick or treating till later in the event.
krispin41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:19 PM   #11
sh00tfire
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry E
Speaking of Halloween Time, in case anyone happens to be around tomorrow evening and would like to chat or ask questions about the Halloween Time happenings, or any particular aspect of the season, the DIS Unplugged podcast team (including Tom and Mary Jo) and I are doing a call-in show and we would love to hear from you! I'd love to put some voices to the names I know so well!

Here is the thread with more information: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=46264243
I will have to try and make this! Thanks for the info.

Disneyworld 1993, 2007
Old 09-25-2012, 11:24 PM   #12
sh00tfire
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry E
Keep in mind - the candy is not going to chase you down and jump in your bags. You will only get as much candy as you seek out. You don't have to go to every treat trail, nor every treat station along each trail, if you feel you are collecting too much. There are lots of trails and stations. If you only want to take home a bit of candy, you can limit your stops.

Otherwise, the locker is a great idea!
If only I could get away with small amounts of candy! I am sure the kids will have other ideas about it

Disneyworld 1993, 2007
Old 09-26-2012, 01:13 AM   #13
Kilala
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by krispin41 View Post
I went last year as well, but I don't remember the trick or treating till later in the event.
I did it through the night. I was by myself. my BF couldn't make it. We have been going together since 2006. We are going together on the 9th and the 19th if I can get a ticket this week.
Old 09-26-2012, 02:36 AM   #14
lifeguardette
Mouseketeer

Is there in and out privileges for the party? Myself and a friend are going to the oct. 19th party (feel free to add me to the list) and are doing the ultimate experience tour. My thought is that at 4pm its still going to be hot, after the tour, I might want to quickly go back to our hotel room at the PPH to add on more clothes. Once they scan the party tickets, we will be able to exit and re-enter???
lifeguardette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:04 AM   #15
lifeguardette
Mouseketeer

Whoops sorry, wrong thread.
lifeguardette is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: