Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2012, 12:46 PM   #1
Jenny-momof3
DIS Veteran

5 days! No kids! Where would you go?

DH and I want to take a trip in a few months, just the 2 of us. Looking to go sometime in Feb. Would like to keep it under 2K including travel. Tossing around a variety of ideas and would love to see what others would choose to do.

Disney~ We have AP's so cost wouldn't be all that bad. Could do some things that we normally don't do with kids in tow. Signature dining, Cirque,Jellyrolls,etc. Con is that we are going over New Years, Spring Break and 4th of July. And we just took a trip this 4th of July and spring break as well. Worried that it might be a little Disney overkill.

Cruise~ We know nothing about cruising. Would do a 3-4 day cruise somewhere out of Florida. Con is that I'm worried that DH will get bored. He likes to go go go on vacation! ( That's why Disneyworld always works so well for us!)

Las Vegas~ We used to go 2-3 times a year...but haven't been since I had our 4th child almost 3 years ago. Con is that flights alone are going to run us $400 each! Kind of makes me sick to spend that much just on the travel part!

Any other ideas out there? We like to have lots to do on vacation and stay busy! Not really into relaxing at a beach for 5 days...DH would go nuts!

July'08 POP/WH, July'09 BCV/AKV,NOV'09 POP,MAR'10 WH,Dec.'10 POP, Mar'11 POP,July'11AK,Nov.'11 POP,Mar.12 WL/SSR, July'12 BCV/BLT,Dec '12 BC/AOA, Jan.13 WL, Apr.'13 BC, Jun. '13 SSR
Jenny-momof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:52 PM   #2
kiki02
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny-momof3 View Post
DH and I want to take a trip in a few months, just the 2 of us. Looking to go sometime in Feb. Would like to keep it under 2K including travel. Tossing around a variety of ideas and would love to see what others would choose to do.

Disney~ We have AP's so cost wouldn't be all that bad. Could do some things that we normally don't do with kids in tow. Signature dining, Cirque,Jellyrolls,etc. Con is that we are going over New Years, Spring Break and 4th of July. And we just took a trip this 4th of July and spring break as well. Worried that it might be a little Disney overkill.

Cruise~ We know nothing about cruising. Would do a 3-4 day cruise somewhere out of Florida. Con is that I'm worried that DH will get bored. He likes to go go go on vacation! ( That's why Disneyworld always works so well for us!)

Las Vegas~ We used to go 2-3 times a year...but haven't been since I had our 4th child almost 3 years ago. Con is that flights alone are going to run us $400 each! Kind of makes me sick to spend that much just on the travel part!

Any other ideas out there? We like to have lots to do on vacation and stay busy! Not really into relaxing at a beach for 5 days...DH would go nuts!
Where do you live? personally, i'm fed up with airline travel, so maybe what's closest?
kiki02 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-25-2012, 12:54 PM   #3
Jenny-momof3
DIS Veteran

We live in Ohio so will definitely fly to where ever we're going. We drive all the trips with the kids since there's 6 of us . But we'll fly with just the 2 of us. And we want to go someplace that will be warmer than here!!

July'08 POP/WH, July'09 BCV/AKV,NOV'09 POP,MAR'10 WH,Dec.'10 POP, Mar'11 POP,July'11AK,Nov.'11 POP,Mar.12 WL/SSR, July'12 BCV/BLT,Dec '12 BC/AOA, Jan.13 WL, Apr.'13 BC, Jun. '13 SSR
Jenny-momof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:55 PM   #4
budbeerlady
I call DH The STREAK!!
Sorry honey, no world series tonight, Poo Watch 2006 is going on!

Where you are located would help alot.

We just did a long weekend in Seattle. It was Awesome and I cannot wait to go back. We saw the King Tut exhibit before it leaves the country in January. We did the new Chihuly museum and took a wonderful tour to Mount Rainier. The aquarium and Pike market were so much fun. We ran out of time to do everything we wanted to do!

I scored cheap tickets on Southwest to get there and stayed at a hotel near the airport. No need to rent a car, take the light rail into town for $2.25.
Nov 2013 1st Disney Run * Oct 2012 Dream'n Again * Oct 2011 Dd Birthday Cruise* Dec 2010 its all family! *August 2009 ASMu * Nov. 2008 Girls Trip POP * Aug 2008 CBR * Oct. 2007 POP for DD Birthday Trip * Dec. 2006 AKL * Dec. 2005 POFQ for 1st Family Trip* http://stretchingittotravel.wordpress.com/

budbeerlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:03 PM   #5
jsmith
And now I am off to get my clippie!
And don't forget to take care of yourself

Well there is usually plenty to do on a cruise so that wouldnt be a worry. Ive been on several and never been bored.

Our last get a way weekend was in Santa Fe-its close-about a 4 hour drive and has awesome history, great shopping, amazing dining and plenty of outdoorsy stuff to. Keep in mind we live in Colorado which is bascially a get a way weekend=lol.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:05 PM   #6
swilshire
DIS Veteran

We had some Southwest air credits that had to be used and the only time we could go was in March. I wanted somewhere without snow and far enough away to make it worth the trip. I also had timeshare weeks to use.

My first choice was southern California, maybe San Diego, but I couldn't find any timeshare lodging by the time I looked.

San Francisco would have been even better, but harder to get timeshares there.

Second choice and final decision was Arizona. I have a week booked in Sedona, which will allow day trips to the surrounding area including the Grand Canyon.

Sheila
swilshire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:46 PM   #7
thebeesknees
DIS Veteran

I'd say take a short cruise. DH and I went on our first one a couple of years ago and we are hooked! In fact, we have one booked for November, just 4 days to the Bahamas, but you can find ones that go elsewhere and stop almost every day in different ports, so it's hard to get bored. The ships have great dining and entertainment options available for sea days. It's our favorite type of trip to take sans kids. Food and lodging paid for, entertainment covered, I can lounge by the pool or sit on the beach, shop, whatever.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:03 PM   #8
littlebit0863
Mouseketeer

I would try to choose somewhere adult, that kids would not love. That way you don't feel guilty, and plus, how often can you enjoy yourself like that? Maybe New Orleans? Vegas was going to be my other choice. San Francisco?
littlebit0863 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:20 PM   #9
DCbride
DIS Veteran

How about St Thomas or Puerto Rico? I would think you could find something nicely priced and definitely warm. We stayed in beach cabins on St John for around $100 a night.

Disney Trips with the kids 1993 Poly 1995 BC 1996 Dixie Landings 1998 BC 2001 SoG 2004 SoG 2006 Dolphin 2008 Magic Villa 3, Mickey's Clubhouse 2009 CSR in March, April, Aug. Sept & Nov 2010 CSR, WL & WL CL, SoG 2011 SoG, CSR, SoG, Mariott, Kidani 2012 Marriott, BC, WLV/AoA 2013 Marriott, AoA, AoA 2014 Pop/Omni, Omni, BC, Bay Lake
DCbride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:22 PM   #10
doris1976
Mouseketeer

New Orleans or Chicago. Either place is nice for a 3/4 day visit.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:40 PM   #11
BubMunkeyBles
DIS Veteran

I'd probably do a cruise.

December 3-9, 2014- SSR and BWV
BubMunkeyBles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:47 PM   #12
reginaastralis
DIS Veteran

We just did a short trip to the Keys, and I think 5 days would have been great (we ended up only going for two full days and it wasn't enough) I know people bring their kids ... but I wouldn't have had any fun with my little one.

We're looking at doing a trip in the spring either to New Orleans, Charlotte or if my bf gets his way to Jamaica. I just want to get out of dodge!
Old 09-25-2012, 06:55 PM   #13
rdevine10
All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them- Walt Disney

Personally, I would do a cruise. We have cruised twice and we were NEVER bored! I would also consider the Mayan Riveria in Mexico too. Xcaret really appeals to me (and my DH is the same as yours- he gets bored). Cruises are great combo as I love the beach and he loves adventure- so we get a bit of each!
Too many childhood trips to count. 9/00- ASMovies, 5/05- Pop, 9/06- Pop, 9/07- Pop, 5/08-AKL & Summer Bay, 9/08- Pop, 4/09-Nick Hotel & Caribe Royal, 4/10-Bonnet Creek, 9/10- Pop, 4/11 Disney Dream Cruise-4night (Nassau & Castaway Cay x 2) & Bonnet Creek, 4/12 Carnival Legend Cruise (Grand Cayman, Roatan, Belize & Cozumel) & CBR, 4/13- Bonnet Creek 8/13- Daytona Beach, RCCL Enchantment of the Seas (Nassau & Coco Cay) & Art of Animation! 4/2014- Carnival Freedom (Key West, Ocho Rios & Grand Cayman) & Caribe Royal 7/14- Daytona Beach & Holiday Inn Resort Lake Beuna Vista 8/14- Atlantis Resort, Paradise Island, Bahamas

rdevine10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:37 PM   #14
kalliyan1
DIS Veteran

I'd suggest a cruise as well. You won't be bored!! In my opinion I would am for royal Caribbean(probably has a little more to do) or Celebrity. If you do royal Caribbean and can swing a week, try oasis or allure
kalliyan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:07 PM   #15
jgreco
Mouseketeer

Don't do Disney (gasp, I know).
You will find yourself missing the kids too much when you see all the other kids having fun. Happened to us
Do the cruise!
jgreco is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: