Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2012, 08:04 AM   #1
mistysue
DIS Veteran

Eating out locally after Disney

Going to Disney gave me some confidence about going out to eat, so I went online (actually to the site of a guy who frequently comes here and keeps referring people to his own site) and people were recommending a place that is sort of like Teppan Edo.
So we are there and telling the waiter what food DS can't have. (wheat, soy, egg, dairy, nuts, peanuts, sesame, buckwheat) He responds to that list with "ok well, everything is cooked together on the table, so he will just eat what we have on the table." Enter a brief discussion about how usually the chef can just make him a piece of meat in a pan in the back and he would eat that with steamed rice... so we list everything again and he still isn't taking any notes of this. I asked if he wanted to write some of that down and he replies "yeah, he can't have dairy, so like milk and eggs." There came the moment when I wasn't sure if he didn't speak English or if he actually was just a total moron. I understand not 'getting' allergies, but in what world is an egg in the dairy category? It was just too ridiculous to even get angry.

Then I tried to find out if all of the meat is marinated or if it's stored plain and he kept just saying "well, it's just marinade, so nothing bad is in it." I am assuming, based on their other food, that it includes at least soy, if not also sesame.

Eventually DS just ended up with some steamed rice and broccoli. He was happy but I don't think we're trying that again.

I like eating out. I want to go back to Disney now.

I like vacations.

Last edited by mistysue; 09-25-2012 at 12:48 PM.
mistysue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:34 AM   #2
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran

I don't really understand what you are trying to say. Are you saying only Disney accommodates food allergies, (of course, that is not true)? Sounds as if you just made a bad choice with this particular restaurant.
lost*in*cyberspace is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-25-2012, 11:22 AM   #3
Random Ninja
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistysue View Post
I asked if he wanted to write some of that down and he replies "yeah, he can't have dairy, so like milk and eggs." There came the moment when I wasn't sure if he didn't speak English or if he actually was just a total moron. I understand not 'getting' allergies, but in what world is an egg in the dairy category? It was just too ridiculous to even get angry.
I hear this one all the time, especially at Disney if I'm actually telling the chef my allergies. Apparently it's common to put egg in the dairy category for allergies. I have no idea why and I've never met anyone who thought eggs were dairy.

Eating out with allergies can be done. Disney makes it easier then most places. What you might want to do is have cards or a list that you can show the server or chef. I keep a list on my phone in case I'm out of cards. Also, have a list of foods that are okay. Sometimes the servers/chefs need a little guidance to understand what accommodations you need. I've lost count the number of times I've shown my allergy list to somebody only to have them ask "What do you eat?" Having a list handy makes it easier.

Good luck eating out in the real world. It does get easier.
Old 09-25-2012, 12:41 PM   #4
disfan07
DIS Veteran

I've learned over the past few years that people seem to automatically combine eggs and dairy together when talking about allergies....not entirely sure why though...

Everytime I go out to eat (which is limited to only a few places I really trust) I give them a list of my allergies (peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, shellfish, wheat, oats, sesame, sunflower seeds, coconut, and broccoli) they always think I can't have dairy as well. They always think that if you cant have eggs, you cant have dairy.

I don't understand why they assume that but I havent had any problems after eating at those restaurants so they must be doing something right!

I keep saying I want to go to WDW for a week just so I can eat out without having to get the same gluten free pizza, bunless burger and fries, and grilled chicken tacos everytime we go out!
All Star Sports (2007, 2008); All Star Music (2001); Caribbean Beach (1992, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1999); Coronado Springs (2004); Port Orleans French Quarter (2007); Port Orleans Riverside (2014); Wilderness Lodge (2006); Pop Century (2010, 2012); Saratoga Springs (2013); The Contemporary (2013); Grand Floridian (2014)
disfan07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:48 PM   #5
mistysue
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost*in*cyberspace View Post
I don't really understand what you are trying to say. Are you saying only Disney accommodates food allergies, (of course, that is not true)? Sounds as if you just made a bad choice with this particular restaurant.
We stopped going out when my son developed allergies. We went to Disney and they would actually make him food, which renewed my hope. So I went online and found a local place that people recommend for those with many allergies... and that was what happened.

The local place had reviews online of people saying how they are so nice and always accommodate their needs, so it was just frustrating when the waiter was looking at me like I had two heads. I did have little business cards on my with his allergies listed and he didn't want them. I shortened the conversation so as not to write a novel as a post.

I like vacations.
mistysue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:12 PM   #6
LoKay
Earning My Ears

I was dairy free for 23 years and constantly got the "so you can't eat eggs". I think it's because eggs are in the "dairy" section of the supermarket so people lump it all together in their minds.
LoKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 02:37 PM   #7
clanmcculloch
DIS Veteran

I purposely list milk for me and DD12 and I list milk and eggs for DD14. If you think about it, in the grocery store they put both milk and eggs in the dairy isle. For those who don't live with allergies day to day, it makes sense for them to think milk and eggs when somebody says dairy. Now if you're talking kosher then they're very different things but for many it's just not clear. Again, this is why I spell it out.

I do understand where OP's coming from. We've got our restaurants at home that we repeatedly patronize because we know that the staff is properly trained in dealing with food allergies. I do feel lucky that one is a hibachi restaurant but we tend to eat in the sushi area since 3 of the 4 of us can't eat off the grill. DD14 does sometimes want a hibachi meal instead of sushi but they cook it in the kitchen in a clean pan in the kitchen instead of on one of the grills. I've spoken with one of the owners many times and we've become friendly with him.

Multi-Allergy & Autism Dining Reviews: February 2014 * DL & LA July 2013 * February 2013 * August 2012 * February 2012 * August 2011 * August 2010

February 2014 AKL: me, DH, DD15, DD13 * July 2013 DL offsite (Tropicana): me, DH, DD15, DD12, DSD30, DSSil * February 2013 WDW Poly: me, DH, DD14, DD12
August 2012 WDW FW Cabin & AoA Nemo: me, DH, DD14, DD12, DD12's BFF11 * February 2012 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD14, DD11 * August 2011 WDW YC: me, DH, DD13, DD11
February 2011 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD13, DD10, DSD28, DSSil * August 2010 WDW POFQ & Poly CL: me, DH, DD12, DD10 * June 2010 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD12, DD9
December 2009 WDW POFQ: me, DH, DD11, DD9 * February 2009 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD11, DD8 * August 2008 WDW SSR: me, DH, DSD25, DSD24, DD10, DD8
September 2007 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD9, DD7 * April 2002 DLR offsite: me, DH, DSD19, DSD17, DD4, DD1.5 * June 2000 DLR offsite: me(pregnant), DH, DSD17, DSD15, DD2
January 1994 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD11, DSD9 * January 1992 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD9, DSD7
clanmcculloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 01:18 PM   #8
pampam
DIS Veteran

Last month we went to chain restaurant. I gave the waitress my card which listed briefly what I cannot eat and some suggestions of what is allowed. I explained it very carfully to her and she seemed to understand. She gave the card to the cook. I had steamed vegetables, plain grilled salmon and a salad with no dressing on it. So far so good. At 3:00 am I was awakened with a terrible reaction to the food. I have no idea why, but someone goofed big time. I too miss Disney's care for meal prep.
pampam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 12:13 PM   #9
Mary976
DIS Veteran

We don't eat out much at all due to my allergies. That being said, I've had the best luck with locally owned places that make everything from scratch. My husband has even taken to calling/emailing places in advance to see what they can do. I do get the OP's frustration though...the only time I've had Asian food in many years was at Teppan Edo in Epcot. I just haven't been able to find any place locally that is safe for me.

Mary
Mary976 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: