Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2012, 06:15 AM   #1
4littleones
Mouseketeer

Colds and Coughs - need advice *UPDATED*

UPDATE in Post #9

We are leaving in 2 days and all 4 kids are battling a virus. It is the cough that keeps them up at night. Any recommendations on what to give them so they can get some sleep at night?

Ages 5, 5, 4 and the baby is 2.5 so I know she really can't have much in the med department but any recommendations for the kids still under age 6 but big enough for some meds?
Me DH DS(6) DD(6) DD(4) DD(3)

Last edited by 4littleones; 09-25-2012 at 02:26 PM.
4littleones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:32 AM   #2
DoryDorito
Mouseketeer

Tis the season! I'm huge on pushing fluids and I typically don't medicate my kids. Do you have a humidifier to run at night? Fever? Are you flying?
DoryDorito is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-25-2012, 06:56 AM   #3
Habbott
Mouseketeer

http://littleremedies.com/products/l...honey%20elixir

I have used this product with success on an 18 month old (last year). I also swear by Vic's vapor rub on the feet.
Habbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:27 AM   #4
bear_mom
DIS Veteran

Honey (teaspoon full) and Vics are my go to here. I've tried lots of different medicines and the next best thing is Deslym.

Emily
bear_mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:30 AM   #5
BeveMom
Mouseketeer

Vicks on the feet is good for the little one. If your kiddos don't have a hyper reaction to antihistamines, we use the Triaminic strips for my 47lb almost-6 year old (per the pedi, we started these when he was around 3 - half a strip then). But we have to give the nighttime ones WAY before bedtime because he DOES get hyper with benadryl and such.
BeveMom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:32 AM   #6
loveysbydesign
I can pinch a penny so hard you can hear it scream for miles!

"Chestal for Kids" is the only thing that works for my kids and it all natural. Not sure where you live but they carry it at Giant grocery stores and some drugstores.
Forgot to add that you can usually print a q for their website.

May 2006-1st family trip to WDW! Loved Windsor Hills! Total cost including airfare, condo. rental at WH, park tix and rental car =$1800
Nov. 13-22 2007-2nd trip to WDW with Baby Hartley #3-it's a boy!!! Total cost including airfare, condo. rental at WH, park tix and rental car =$2200
May 2009- 3 nights in a 2 bedroom at SSR and then our 1st Disney cruise on the Magic! Total cost for 2 Cat. 12's -upgraded to Cat. 10's=$2900

June 11-20 2010- Our super cheap, surprising the kids, 1st time driving, celebrating Ryan's 3rd birthday trip! Total cost=$950
Nov.12-22, 2010 Took our in-laws along for their 1st trip ever! Stayed at Indian Creek and had a blast!
Oct.10-15, 2011 Crazy Columbus Crowds(did YES program) & cruised on the Dream Oct. 16-20
Oct. 19-29, 2012 Our trip re-do w/the in-laws, swam w/ the manatees & drove home through Sandy!
June 21-30, 2013 Celebrating our 17th anniversary!

Last edited by loveysbydesign; 09-25-2012 at 09:04 AM.
loveysbydesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:53 AM   #7
4littleones
Mouseketeer

thanks to everyone. I sent everyone to school. I put a note in for the 5 yr olds since they are full day that they may get sleepy (not much sleep last night) and they may want to go to the nurse and come home early.

I am going to look for the Chestal and triamedic strips and see if either one works for us. I have 2 humidifiers but I need to get a 3rd for the girls room and put it one tonight. Whatever works the best I am taking it with us for the trip.

We aren't flying so no worries there. Just want everyone to feel better before we leave or at least sleep well while the 6 of us are in a tight space at AoA nemo suite.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:04 AM   #8
ktlm
DIS Veteran

Habbot's and Bevemom's Vicks on the feet may sound like an old wive's tale, but I can tell you that it ABSOLUTELY works to keep kids (and adults) from coughing at night for about 90% of coughs. I use it not only on DD, but also on myself. Every now and then one of us will pick up a cough that it doesn't work for, but most times it is a sleepsaver in our house.

You slather Vicks all over the feet and then you take a pair of socks (one you don't care about because it can turn them grey) and put it over the feet. The socks are mostly to keep the Vicks from getting all over the sheets I think. For whatever reason within about 10 minutes of doing that, the coughing stops. We have actually gotten up in the middle of the night if DD had a coughing fit and went and done it, and she immediately stopped coughing and slept the rest of the night. DH (a scientist) thought I was crazy the first time I did it (after a friend told me it works on her 3 boys), but he swears by it now too and has done it on himself. It only works if you put the Vicks on the feet, not the chest or anywhere else- DH experimented with that because he just didn't believe that the feet would make a difference (you wouldn't want to put the Vicks on the 2 years old's chest anyway). We've been doing it on DD since she was 2 with no issues, and she is 6 now.
ktlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 02:29 PM   #9
4littleones
Mouseketeer

So my 5 yr olds got sent home from kindy today. One just runny nose and cough the other also had a fever. I took them to the pedi and now I have 3 out of the 4 on amoxicillian. Hoping that this helps them and that the baby doesn't get worse since she isn't getting a script.
Had a blast with all 4 at the pedi. You know your packing has literally gone to sh:t when your 5 yr old sneezes in the waiting room and then proceeds to loudly say, "I think I just made diarrhea in my pants!" LOL Awesome, so I my kids will live and be fine. Mentally I am behind on packing and freaking out!!!
Old 09-25-2012, 02:45 PM   #10
jenlov
Mouseketeer

I swear by the humidifier! We've been using it on our kids since our 2nd child ended up in the hospital w/ RSV almost 14yrs ago. they treated him w/ meds breathed in through the humidifier, but for our other 2 kids that also had RSV as babies, we used just the humidifier at home. Thankfully we knew what to watch out for and caught it early enough to treat at home. It is sooo helpful for breathing at night and during naps. Make sure you get one that blows a visible mist. They are the best. Our youngest (we have 7) is 10ms and is too little for meds. We put it as close to her crib as possible without her being able to reach it. I've used it when I'm sick and I'm telling you...it works! It helped me to be able to breathe during the night and quiets the coughing.
jenlov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:42 PM   #11
2binak
DVC Owner

For kids over 2 years old, I swear by Hyland's Cold 'n Cough 4 Kids. I've taken it myself and it works really well. To help with coughing, you can give them warmed up apple juice.

11/90 Offsite, 11/97 PO, 5/99 DL, 1/00 CS, 1/04 PC, 12/05 SSR, 5/07 AKL, 10/08 SSR, 5/09 POFQ, 11/09 AKV Kidani, 11/10 AKV Kidani, 10/11 BWV, 10/12 BWV, 11/13 AKV Kidani, 5/14 BLT, 11/14 BWV
2binak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:36 PM   #12
RMulieri
DIS Veteran

I wouldn't supress their coughs.y 8 yr old had this, I gave her honey and Triaminic to help her sleep and she went into FULL BLOWN pneumonia.The Pediatrician said that this virus is particularly bad and she had seen 4 cases( not including my DD) that day that had gone from a cold virus to pneumonia
Old 09-26-2012, 01:42 PM   #13
la79al
DIS Veteran

Pediacare vapor plug in and a cool mist humidifier got the night coughing out of our house in 2-3 days. Still have 1 with a runny nose but she is fine other than looking gross.
Old 09-26-2012, 02:14 PM   #14
lindsmom
DIS Veteran

Ditto vicks (although I put it on the chest, didn't work on the feet) and humidifier. I also swear by KidsMist Sinucleanse - it's a saline spray for children that helps keep the nasal passages moving the right way.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: