Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2012, 06:55 PM   #1
shortbun
Peacenik

I'm tired of processing tomatoes and basil!!!

My tomatoes(6 plants) have just gone crazy this year-crazy!!! We have tomatoes all over our kitchen. One shelf in the freezer has tomatoes. I made lots of sauce too. I've made caprese half a dozen times and also taken it as an extra to a couple cookouts. I'm eating tomato/cucumber-BLT-tomato/cheddar and grilled cheese with fresh tomato slices. I've made Greek Salads with cucs, olives, onions and feta. I made gazpacho(big batches) twice. Then there are the huge, bushlike, basil plants that have gotten ahead of me. I'm beggin people to take basil. We have several containers of frozen pesto, frozen ice cube tray cubes of chopped basil in olive oil, caprese until I can't stand to look at it. Tomorrow or Wednesday, I'm drying a bunch of basil. It was just a perfect growing season!!! Next year, we'll probably have nothing.

USE IT UP, WEAR IT OUT, MAKE IT DO OR DO WITHOUT.

IF YOUR UPKEEP EXCEEDS YOUR INCOME THEN YOUR OUTGO WILL BE YOUR DOWNFALL.
shortbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:01 PM   #2
jen0610
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbun View Post
My tomatoes(6 plants) have just gone crazy this year-crazy!!! We have tomatoes all over our kitchen. One shelf in the freezer has tomatoes. I made lots of sauce too. I've made caprese half a dozen times and also taken it as an extra to a couple cookouts. I'm eating tomato/cucumber-BLT-tomato/cheddar and grilled cheese with fresh tomato slices. I've made Greek Salads with cucs, olives, onions and feta. I made gazpacho(big batches) twice. Then there are the huge, bushlike, basil plants that have gotten ahead of me. I'm beggin people to take basil. We have several containers of frozen pesto, frozen ice cube tray cubes of chopped basil in olive oil, caprese until I can't stand to look at it. Tomorrow or Wednesday, I'm drying a bunch of basil. It was just a perfect growing season!!! Next year, we'll probably have nothing.
Can you can your own chilli and veggie soup base. I know my MIL will do that when she has more tomatoes than she knows what to do with. My SIL makes salsa.

Are you a ketup eating family? Maybe give a try at making that.
jen0610 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-24-2012, 08:59 PM   #3
jsmith
And now I am off to get my clippie!
And don't forget to take care of yourself

I feel your pain. I planted 1-just one-cherokee purple tomato plant along with my usualy Roma and Yellow tomatoes. I was told that it probably wouldnt do much as the summers in colorado are not long and hot enough. For half the summer it did nothing-then-suddenly it went insane. We now call it the "Tomato Apocalypse." Its full of HUGE-as in a lb a piece tomatos that are now coming ripe all at once-YAY me. An my herb beds have gone insane-i have 3foot tall rosemary,ive frozen mint, dried mint, and made mint pesto. Ive made basi pesto and thyme lemonade. Ive enough oregano to supply all the italian resturants in the state.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:34 PM   #4
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

Me too but I'm making salsa. If the world ends, y'all need to come to Utah for salsa.

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:08 AM   #5
disykat
DIS Veteran

Man, I'd take some! Do you have (or can you start) a garden share table at work or church? How about calling a food bank or feeding program to see if they want some?

As long as they are still unopened, or in the case of produce still in their natural state, they'll generally take them.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:28 AM   #6
maps
DIS Veteran

I hear ya! I've filled up 2 freezers with sauce and the overflow is now in my friend's freezer!
And I still have 2 more large bowls left on my counter!

I've made salsa, vodka rigatoni sauce, chili, lasagna, caprese, salads and tried giving them all away but they are still over running my kitchen.

Next year I am planning to can so I'm sure we'll have a lame season!
maps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:49 AM   #7
poohfriend77
DIS Veteran

I'm pouting right now, because my big tomato plants did NOTHING this year. We are in an area where the drought hit pretty hard, and they were neglected when I went on vacation.

My cherry tomato plants have exploded in the last two weeks, and if we don't get a frost, we'll be eating them for weeks. But not a single big tomato on the regular plants.

So feel free to leave some on my porch if you're in the neighborhood.
poohfriend77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:17 AM   #8
Colleen27
DIS Veteran

Two words: chili sauce. It takes a TON of tomatoes for just one batch so it is a great solution to the OMG Tomatoes! feeling that tends to hit around this time of year.

I've got a freezer full of spaghetti sauce, two cases of salsa in the pantry, we've had caprese for lunch 2-3 days a week for a month, and I'm still harvesting. Chili sauce is up next. After that, maybe ketchup?

Tickerless once more...Kid-free trip on hold until fall 2014
How a Year Off Became a Year of Disney Magic! PTR
My Training Blog - From Fluffy to Fit: A Pooh Sized Runner's Quest to Run Disney
Colleen27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:54 AM   #9
punkin
Went through pain just to look like a lopsided Whoopi Goldberg

Where are you tomato explosion people? I willing to drive a fair distance to relieve you of your troubles (and tomatoes!).
Old 09-25-2012, 08:00 AM   #10
I loveStitchnippyjon
DIS Veteran

OP, I feel your pain! I have canned whole tomatoes, sauce, salsa, chili sauce, and tomato/zucchini mix. Also dehydrated tomatoes. Thankfully, our season has been over for a few weeks so I can put away the darned canner!
I loveStitchnippyjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:03 AM   #11
JennyWren
Mouseketeer

I feel your pain. Tomatoes weren't that bad this year, but I planted a couple cucumber plants for DH and DS (I'm allergic) and they simply exploded. They actually got so out of control that they strangled a couple tomato plants... Needless to say, I have enough bread and butter, sweet and dill pickles to last a decade.

JennyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:03 AM   #12
Tinker'n'Fun
"apple", peaches, "pumpkin pie", who's not ready holler "I"...
i'm just trying to be optimistic!
I am SO CLUELESS and I hate it!!

My plants never took off this year. I was so sad. I offered to pay on my facebook to my friends for fresh tomatoes. No one has taken me up yet. I am craving a tomato sandwich.

I envy you!
Tinker'n'Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:04 AM   #13
Colleen27
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkin View Post
Where are you tomato explosion people? I willing to drive a fair distance to relieve you of your troubles (and tomatoes!).
I'm in Michigan, where our weird warm summer caused all of my sub-tropical veggies to go crazy. We had eggplant coming out of our ears for all of August, and now it is peppers and tomatoes... I've got to have 20lbs of tomatoes still waiting to be processed, mostly roma now and some slicers, along with a couple dozen bell peppers in assorted colors. And that's after canning up a storm and giving some away to a half-dozen neighbors. I'll probably have at least a bushel of each to drop off on pick-up day at the food pantry, but they don't have storage space for produce so I can only drop them off on that one day a month.

I complain and joke about it around this time every year, when I swear I'll scream if I have to process just one more, but come January I'll be looking through the seed catalogs thinking about how to expand the garden again... But next year, I'm definitely thinking fewer eggplants, fewer green beans, more corn, and more peas; not a single peapod or ear of corn made it into the house because the kids ate them all right off the plant.

Tickerless once more...Kid-free trip on hold until fall 2014
How a Year Off Became a Year of Disney Magic! PTR
My Training Blog - From Fluffy to Fit: A Pooh Sized Runner's Quest to Run Disney
Colleen27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: