Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2012, 02:33 PM   #1
fairytalelover
DIS Veteran

DCL drove us in a yucky white van to our WDW hotel

So we paid for DCL transportation from the Orlando airport to Port Canaveral and from Port Canaveral after our cruise to our WDW hotel. From the hotel we were put on a very nice DCL bus which we loved. But after our cruise they put us and a few other people in some little yucky white van. It didnt have any signs on it saying it was part of DCL. In fact, another family asked us if we were also going to WDW. We were all wondering why all the other people were getting put on nice DCL buses and the few of us were put in some private white van. It wasnt even a nice van. It smelled inside and was rusty looking. This is NOT what I paid for! First we thought that maybe because on this trip we booked a value resort, we were put on this van instead of the bus. But on the first stop a couple was dropped off at one of the moderate resorts. Needless to say, we were not happy nor were the other families on board. We paid for DISNEY transportation and expected a DISNEY experience the entire way. I have to say that it really put a damper on our excitement. My 6 year old was sad that he didnt get to ride on the Disney bus back to WDW.

ME DH DS
Disneyland (hundreds of times) Disneyland Hotel 6/2005 & 12/2005 Disney Fairytale Wedding at Disneyland 6/2005; Walt Disney World 2/2004, 6/2005, 5/2012; Port Orleans Riverside 2/2004 & 6/2005; All Star Movies Resort 5/2012; Port Orleans, French Quarter 10/2014; Disney Wonder 6/2005; Disney Dream 4/2012; Disney Fantasy 10/2014
fairytalelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 02:35 PM   #2
MisterOJ
Mouseketeer

Just be glad you got there.

My first thought when reading that you got on a "yucky" unmarked plain white van wasn't a good one.
MisterOJ is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-09-2012, 02:41 PM   #3
jlemieu1
DIS Veteran

Disney doesn't own the bus line. They contract it out to Mears I believe. My guess is a bus was broken down or was stuck in traffic.
.... many other .....
10/01 - RCL - VoS 3nts. - honeymoon
09/00 - MK - Proposal
jlemieu1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 02:54 PM   #4
iloverags2
DIS Veteran

What a bummer. I had that experience once before as well...in fact I watched as friends of ours pulled out of the port on a nice Disney bus. *sigh* At least you were able to expience WDW after your cruise (and a cruise also).
Old 08-09-2012, 02:58 PM   #5
MissMet
DVC Member, former NY Mets Season Tkt Holder & Blogging Addict

I can see your disappointment but I bet you got to your resort a lot quicker than on one of those giant buses that make like 5 stops & everyone has to get their carry-ons, stroller, etc out of the bottom each time.

I'd rather a small van... get me (almost) right where I'm going & in a hurry. No waiting for a coach bus to fill before leaving. And maybe one other stop before mine. Nice!

MissMet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 03:27 PM   #6
darkwing818
DIS Veteran

If the OP feels that stongly about this issue, and it sounds like they do, they should call DCL, explain what happened, and ask for a refund.
darkwing818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 03:31 PM   #7
goofygirl27
Earning My Ears

Whenever I have paid for a transfer from the port to a resort, we have been driven in a white van without markings on the outside. I think it was a lot quicker than a big bus as others have mentioned!
goofygirl27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 03:38 PM   #8
jlemieu1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofygirl27 View Post
Whenever I have paid for a transfer from the port to a resort, we have been driven in a white van without markings on the outside. I think it was a lot quicker than a big bus as others have mentioned!
I would agree with this one, on my DCL transport we didn't get to the ship till 2:00. Its too bad it was smelly and rusty. The DCL bus play cute videos.
.... many other .....
10/01 - RCL - VoS 3nts. - honeymoon
09/00 - MK - Proposal
jlemieu1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 03:39 PM   #9
fairytalelover
DIS Veteran

We were on vacation. Not in a rush. We didnt care if we got there a few minutes faster. We wanted the Disney experience which made it magical for us. On the way to the ship we all truly enjoyed the DCL bus and the cartoons on the way there etc.... It was comfortable, clean and nice. There were tons of DCL buses lined up at the port when we got in line and others were put on the buses and a few of us were directed to the van. I dont want my money back. Not worth the trouble. Just upset that we were not given a choice. If I pay for disney transportation, I want Disney transportation. I dont think I am being unreasonable. Especially for those of us who have been on many disney vacations and are used to the "magical" experience, and are happy to pay for it, it's a let down when we dont get it without notice.
It was NOT comfortable, it was not nice and we didn't like it. Also, the disney bus has a potty and my son had to use the potty during the drive and had to wait...almost had an accident. Not happy.

ME DH DS
Disneyland (hundreds of times) Disneyland Hotel 6/2005 & 12/2005 Disney Fairytale Wedding at Disneyland 6/2005; Walt Disney World 2/2004, 6/2005, 5/2012; Port Orleans Riverside 2/2004 & 6/2005; All Star Movies Resort 5/2012; Port Orleans, French Quarter 10/2014; Disney Wonder 6/2005; Disney Dream 4/2012; Disney Fantasy 10/2014
Old 08-09-2012, 03:41 PM   #10
fairytalelover
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlemieu1 View Post
I would agree with this one, on my DCL transport we didn't get to the ship till 2:00. Its too bad it was smelly and rusty. The DCL bus play cute videos.
Exactly, the bus plays cute videos and gets us all excited for our vacation, putting us in a disney mood. My son loves the experience as we do. We are willing to pay for the Disnety experience and should recieve it. If we were trying to save a few bucks i would understand, but we were not.

ME DH DS
Old 08-09-2012, 03:43 PM   #11
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairytalelover View Post
We were on vacation. Not in a rush. We didnt care if we got there a few minutes faster. We wanted the Disney experience which made it magical for us. On the way to the ship we all truly enjoyed the DCL bus and the cartoons on the way there etc.... It was comfortable, clean and nice. There were tons of DCL buses lined up at the port when we got in line and others were put on the buses and a few of us were directed to the van. I dont want my money back. Not worth the trouble. Just upset that we were not given a choice. If I pay for disney transportation, I want Disney transportation. I dont think I am being unreasonable. Especially for those of us who have been on many disney vacations and are used to the "magical" experience, and are happy to pay for it, it's a let down when we dont get it without notice.
It was NOT comfortable, it was not nice and we didn't like it. Also, the disney bus has a potty and my son had to use the potty during the drive and had to wait...almost had an accident. Not happy.
your best bet then is to address this with DCL directly. Let them know of your displeasure and maybe they can give some insight as to why.

No one on this board is going to be able totell you the exact reason why you were put in a van...we can all guess but no one knows....DCL might not even know.

Thank you sharing...others may now know that there is a possibility that the DCL bus is not guaranteed.

And a note to other posters....no snarky or rude posts will be tolerated. People are entitled to state their displeasure with a DCL experience....you may not agree and that is fine....but don't be rude.

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 1 time

)“DON'T BE SAD IT'S OVER, BE HAPPY IT HAPPENED!!

Last edited by mmouse37; 08-09-2012 at 03:48 PM.
mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 03:46 PM   #12
fairytalelover
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmouse37 View Post
your best bet then is to address this with DCL directly. Let them know of your displeasure and maybe they can give some insight as to why.

No one on this board is going to be able to tell the exact reason why you were put in a van...we can all guess but no one knows....DCL might not even know.

MJ
Well I told my travel agent and she told me that she believes it may be random as you are standing in line and we should specifically ask them to direct us to a bus next time and we sure will. You may think that this is petty but honestly, we enjoy all of the little things on a Disney trip. We think they make it special and add to our fun. Even getting on a Disney bus that shows Disney programs on the tv screen is special and adds to the fun for us.

ME DH DS
Old 08-09-2012, 03:47 PM   #13
woody73
Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen
Never liked the idea of using a snorkel after someone else

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairytalelover View Post

. . . few of us were put in some private white van. It wasnt even a nice van. It smelled inside and was rusty looking.
Was the van named Fillmore? If so, the smell was probably something herbal.

Woody
woody73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 04:08 PM   #14
peachygreen
DIS Veteran

For the cost of DCL transfers I would be annoyed with a white van as described too.

One of the only benefits for me booking DCL transfers would be that they are on buses and I wouldn't have to deal with carseats. I would not be happy to be in a van with no carseats. Not to mention the no bathroom or video part.

http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/pl...ian-caribbean/

Besides the description provided by Disney is that they will provide a deluxe, air-conditioned motor coach.

From the Disney's Magical Express Welcome Center, you're off to your Disney Cruise Line ship! Board a deluxe, air-conditioned motor coach, sit back and relax as we chauffer you to the Disney Cruise Line Terminal at Port Canaveral.

Family Trips to see the Mouse: WDW - October 2008, Nov 2012; DLR - May 2009, Oct 2012; DCL Magic - February 2011; DCL Magic - July 2012; DCL Fantasy - March 2013 Upcoming DCL - Wonder June 2014
peachygreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 04:11 PM   #15
Gdes1
Mouseketeer

My DH also had a bad experience with the Mears transportation. He was on a biz trip, so did not need a fancy "Disney" bus. He just had to get from the airport to his WDW hotel. They insisted he hand over his luggage and use the Mears transportation, though. They also insisted that they would handle his luggage "door to door" and it would be in his room shortly after his arrival at the hotel.

He sat in his hotel waited and waited and made several phone calls and was finally told that his luggage was probably still on the bus and they'd have the driver look for it at the end of his shift. And when was the end of shift? 11pm!!!

Good thing he did not need business clothes for any events that evening. He said the customer service was horrible and not the Disney experience at all. Too bad Disney does business with companies like Mears.
Gdes1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: