Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2012, 10:21 PM   #1
Mayakad
Earning My Ears

Is it hard to get Kosher style food on the ship?

We are about to go on the magic for 7 night in few days. I was wondering if anyone had experience with Kosher style food on the ship?
We don't take pork, shellfish or meat that is mixed with dairy products, is that possible?
( like can I have my fish without the shrimp topping? Or steak without the cream sauce?)
Thanks!
Mayakad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:47 PM   #2
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

If you're just worried about kosher style and not *actual* kosher (ie, meat & dairy not cooked or served using the same utensils, only kosher meats, no dairy in bread used with meat, etc) it should be pretty easy to accomplish. They are *very* accommodating of what you want, and if you ask for a dish without the shrimp, without the creamsauce, etc, they'll do it. I'd suggest trying to arrange each meal the night before, or else it might take a long time to get a specially prepared dish. (If you wanted to do actual strict kosher, I believe they go with pre-packaged meals.)

Sayhello
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-24-2012, 10:57 PM   #3
rcchello
DIS Veteran

Nothing on the ship that is served to you from the regular menu will be Kosher with the exception of possibly a packaged drinks or yogurt. That aside, there are items on the menu that fit within your kosher style. You can also request some items prepared without sauce.

If you let them know that you have restrictions they will show you the menu the night before so you can preorder and if nothing suits you they will work with you. They deal with a lot of complicated allergies, this should be well within their capabilities. Worst comes to worst you can always order the vegetarian item or eat steak every night.

Bob
OKW - SSR
Next Trip - Fantasy Eastern

Just because it worked for me or worked this way in the past or is part of the great Dis lore is no reason it will work this way in the future. Depending on the CM you get, new interpretation of the rules, changes in rules, weather over the Himalayas, your results may be different.
rcchello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:59 PM   #4
Mayakad
Earning My Ears

Who should we talk to? Our server? Head server? Can we have menus in advance?(and if yes when? Night before? Lunch time?)
Old 09-24-2012, 11:06 PM   #5
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayakad View Post
Who should we talk to? Our server? Head server? Can we have menus in advance?(and if yes when? Night before? Lunch time?)
If you need full Kosher meals you need to contact them before your cruise.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:06 PM   #6
rcchello
DIS Veteran

Talk to you server. At dinner they can show you the following nights menu so you can preorder. At least that is what they do for my wife who has food allergies.

Bob
OKW - SSR
Next Trip - Fantasy Eastern

Just because it worked for me or worked this way in the past or is part of the great Dis lore is no reason it will work this way in the future. Depending on the CM you get, new interpretation of the rules, changes in rules, weather over the Himalayas, your results may be different.
rcchello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:02 AM   #7
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me
i cannot wear anything between my toes

the head waiter is typically a LOT more knowledgeable on this subject than the servers are.

If you want actual kosher food, call DCL beforehand and then you again have to tell your head waiter on the ship (the head waiter is the maitre d')

there usually is at least one dish on every menu that is kosher style.
often 2, often the fish item and the vegetarian item (especially since they've switched some of the vegetarian items to be vegan, so they're really no problem)..

if you go to castaway cay (i don't know which cruise you're on) note that you can request a veggie burger at cookies BBQ - they don't have them out - they make them special (on a special pan used just for the veggie burgers).

there's really a ton of food on the ship that you can eat if you're not that strict...
get the head waiter or a chef to go through the 'book' with you if you want..
they have a book of all the food on board the ship with all the ingredients, so you'll know what you can eat and can't..
for example, there are many breads you can eat....check the book...

when we boarded the ship, already at lunch we initially had a problem..
we told the waiter there that we ate kosher....he just gave us a blank stare..
so we asked to see the head waiter....and from that point on, no problem at all...
since all the food in the buffet was treife big time (even the salads had meat or shrimp in them), we couldn't eat anything on the buffet (in parrot cay)..
but the head waiter took charge...a chef came out and spoke with us..
we had actually ordered kosher food in advance, but they didn't have it ready for boarding lunch..
so the chef prepared us tuna salad (he went over all the ingredients with us to make sure we could eat it all)..

then the head waiter showed us the menu for dinner and went over both the menu and the kosher menu and we ordered our dinner right then, so that it would be ready for dinner..

then each night at dinner, they showed us the menu for the next night (as well as the kosher choices) and we chose our meals for the next night..
we ordered both the special kosher food (you know, like airplane kosher meals) and also food from the menu that we were able to eat..

so we ate tons and tons of food....sit down breakfast in lumieres was especially great!!

you can also order tuna salad and i think also PB&J from room service...

you won't go hungry, but you might have to make a little effort at the outset...
Old 09-25-2012, 06:06 AM   #8
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me
i cannot wear anything between my toes

Quote:
We are about to go on the magic for 7 night in few days. I was wondering if anyone had experience with Kosher style food on the ship?
We don't take pork, shellfish or meat that is mixed with dairy products, is that possible?
( like can I have my fish without the shrimp topping? Or steak without the cream sauce?)
Thanks!
i just noticed you said you're going in a few days..
if you want to have access to real kosher meals (like airline tv dinners) then you should call DCL right away to let them know.
Just because you tell them on the phone, doesn't mean that's all you'll get to eat.
You can eat whatever you want.

we ate both the special kosher meals as well as other food on the ship.
the fact that we had the kosher meals didn't limit our ability to order food from the regular menu at the same meal if we wanted to.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:45 AM   #9
Mayakad
Earning My Ears

No we are really not that Kosher to the point of pre-packed food, in restaurants it's kind of easy for us to adjust things from the menu, but it seems that any change at dinner time can be problematic so I wanted to know how to go about it.
Breakfast is just dairy for us anyway, I'm almost certain that lunch will be at the pools- burgers, chicken nuggets or pizza lunch, it's mainly dinner that can be a problem, so I will work it out with the head server.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:48 AM   #10
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
it seems that any change at dinner time can be problematic
Really? I haven't seen that. People ask for special stuff all the time, or for items to be left off. Check with your head server for sure if you're going to be making special requests every night.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:18 AM   #11
Piper
DIS Veteran

We are on the same sailing and I have some anaphalactic allergies,,,,mango, cashew, and shellfish. So I will be in the "no shellfish" camp with you. The mango is somewhat of a problem as I noticed that it is served as a sauce or ingredient in several dishes. I already let DCL know about the allergies and I plan to talk to the head waiter when we board! I will also have my epi pens with me.
Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:18 AM   #12
kcashner
DIS Veteran

For kosher--if you are strict (like the pan cannot have been used for the wrong thing ever), you really do need to do the meals ordered before cruising. They will be shipped in from a kosher kitchen and managed appropriately.

If you basically stick to the dietary regulations but not the preparation part, the head server will be able to handle everything--no problems.

Allergies are a totally different animal--they are WELL aware of allergy issues and the Dream and Fantasy even have a separate "allergy kitchen" as opposed to just a special prep area. Call DCL and have the allergies listed on your reservation. When you board, one of the head servers will go thru everything with you, and the chef will appear for complicated allergies. Again, they will let you choose from the next night's menu and prepare the food special for your family to avoid any cross contamination. It is easier to do sit down lunch than buffet, but if you do the buffet they will walk thru the line with you and will get you food from the back to avoid any chance of cross contamination. They are GREAT with allergies.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:25 AM   #13
gometros
WDWWDS Chief Weapons Inspector and Cruise Captain
Solemnly swears always to leave the tagging to the experts!! :p

Quote:
No we are really not that Kosher to the point of pre-packed food, in restaurants it's kind of easy for us to adjust things from the menu, but it seems that any change at dinner time can be problematic so I wanted to know how to go about it.
Breakfast is just dairy for us anyway, I'm almost certain that lunch will be at the pools- burgers, chicken nuggets or pizza lunch, it's mainly dinner that can be a problem, so I will work it out with the head server.
Both my wife and I do not eat non-kosher meat out and keep a kosher home. We never have any problems on the cruise. We stick to the vegetarian choices and there is always at least one vegetarian choice and a non-shellfish fish choice. And there's always salmon if nothing else interests you.

gometros is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:13 PM   #14
Mommb
Mouseketeer

As others have said, getting food without meat or shellfish should not be difficult. We just mention our restrictions to our server the first night, and ask whether dishes have meat on subsequent nights. We have never ordered the night before, and never had a problem finding entrees.

At brunch and dinner at Palo, we again just let our server know that we don't eat meat or shellfish, and ask about anything we're not sure about. Even with our restrictions, the Palo brunch buffet had enough food to leave us stuffed.

We haven't eaten at Remy, but we did talk to a castmember there who assured us that if we call the restaurant the day before our reservation, they will make sure there is food we can eat.

At buffets during the day, we have sometimes had trouble getting information about specific items, but we can almost always find enough even if we skip what we're not sure of. When I'm still hungry, I just get fruit or a veggie burger on the pool deck.
Mommb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:39 PM   #15
momtoejanda
DIS Veteran

on our last cruise my MIL asked on the first night for ---ok ready for this, it was almost embarrassing---kosher style, no meat or poultry, gluten free, dairy free low sugar.

The head waiter let the chef know and recommended something for that evening and gave her choices for the next night on what he could make her (not on the menu). Every night she was given her options for the next evenings dinner. She was very happy and said everything was fantastic.

you will be fine
momtoejanda is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: