Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2012, 10:07 PM   #1
Peanut Giggleface
Embarrassing my children... just another service I provide.

Department store debit cards

So I was at Target today and as I was checking out the cashier asked me if I wanted to open a Target debit card. I'd never heard of such a thing. She explained it's tied to your checking account, doesn't charge anything and gives you a 5% discount on all purchases. I was also asked if I wanted to open a Nordstrom debit card last time I shopped there. I think I'm a little leery of it just because I don't want more than one debit card tied to my checking account deducting money from it. It just seems too easy to lose track of purchases and then overdraft. So I'm curious if any of you have such a card? Do you like it?
Peanut Giggleface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:10 PM   #2
codimouse
Over 45 Trips to Disney from San Antonio, Tx!

I use my target debit card and save on my purchases and prescriptions.
Just be careful. It does not debit out of all accounts the same. Depends on your banking institution.
Just keep a good ledger.
It takes 1 week for the finds to be debited from my account.
I've had it a year with no problems.

Sandi; sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
codimouse is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-24-2012, 10:11 PM   #3
jamelynn24
Mouseketeer

I have the Target card and love it!!! Save 5% on everything just for using it...and since it's linked to your checking account, no fees and interest rates!! We've saved $100 so far this year and while that's not a HUGE amount, it's still something!
jamelynn24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:51 PM   #4
Coconut36
DIS Veteran

I have the Target debit too. Love it..great way to get the 5% and I get an additional 5% coupon if I use it to pay for Rx (I think 5 = 5%). I do agree to keep track of your purchases. In my case it takes 3 days for the funds to be removed.

Retailers like it because it makes you more loyal to their store, more likely to spend more (especially since they can point out to you that you aren't getting into debt) or more likely to shop there for the discount/rebate/coupons..etc that come with the card.

I have had mine at least 2 years now..no problems and love having it.
Coconut36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:04 PM   #5
ThisIsJason
DIS Veteran

Have the Target debt card. Love saving the 5%. With my credit union, one time it took 9 days for the amount to be taken from my checking account. It is usually only 3 days.
AKV DVC Owner
ThisIsJason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:27 PM   #6
LuLuO
I am against mandatory fun

We have one and love it. I used to use my regular debit card at Target anyway so using their debit card is no different except I save money.
"When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say, 'Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.' To this day, especially in times of disaster, I remember my mother’s words, and I am always comforted by realizing that there are still so many helpers–so many caring people in this world." - Fred Rogers
LuLuO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:16 AM   #7
lovesmurfs
I need to start thinking of pithy things to say
It costs him money every time I watch!

I always nixed the sales talks on the RedCard, but went for it when I finally realized it was a debit card.

I love it, and love that it's not a credit card. Love saving the 5% (and and extra 10% when DS, who's finally working, is with me!).

"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society." Mark Twain

"Some people are like Slinkies. They serve no useful purpose, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs."
lovesmurfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:53 AM   #8
antmaril
DIS Veteran
The elephant topiaries near MK have a special meaning for me
I'm a girl

I have had my Target debit card since January. So far, I have saved $90 and have not had any problems whatsoever.
antmaril is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:56 AM   #9
RitaE
DIS Veteran

I have the Target debit card and haven't had any problems. I wasn't thrilled with it either but I spend a ton of money at Target and the 5% was a significant incentive - like better than any credit card rewards I get.

I think Target and Amazon both must have marketing data files on me 3 feet thick.
RitaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:14 AM   #10
Sgt Mickey
I will always remember where I was that day
I am defiantly going to attempt as many as I can
I thought I had never up there but I think I erased it and my brain went somewhere else

I work at banana republic and have to push their card. BUT I do have a gap visa (gap, banana republic and old navy are all tied together so I can use it at any of the three stores). SOOO I tend to use it to get my rewards and I do have a balance on it but I try to pay as I go because I know the interest is up there. BUT the rewards I see it as free clothes. I have gotten some good very deals with them.
Sgt Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:38 AM   #11
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

I have had a Target debit card since last year. I got it when I was making a very large purchase. Through the year it has saved me a ton. I've had zero issues and it takes 3 days for the purchase to be debited from my account.
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:57 AM   #12
ccgirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut Giggleface View Post
So I was at Target today and as I was checking out the cashier asked me if I wanted to open a Target debit card. I'd never heard of such a thing. She explained it's tied to your checking account, doesn't charge anything and gives you a 5% discount on all purchases. I was also asked if I wanted to open a Nordstrom debit card last time I shopped there. I think I'm a little leery of it just because I don't want more than one debit card tied to my checking account deducting money from it. It just seems too easy to lose track of purchases and then overdraft. So I'm curious if any of you have such a card? Do you like it?
I, too, have the Target debit card and love it. I have never had problems. I only used my ATM card any way so this wasn't any different other than I save 5% and my DD's school gets a portion of the money I spend. I don't have a habit of overdrafting my account though. It has always come out the day I have used it and I am on my computer every night looking over my accounts.
Pre-Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2503063
Oct 2011 - F&W AKL and BCV
May 2012 - HGVC SeaWorld
ccgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:34 AM   #13
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

My Target Red Card is a credit card.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:38 AM   #14
RitaE
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
My Target Red Card is a credit card.

They offer either a credit card or a debit card. The debit card just deducts your purchase from your bank account. Mine takes about 3 days before I see it hit the checking account.
RitaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:52 AM   #15
FlightlessDuck
Pluto's personal nose scratcher
Dumb people spoiling my fun makes me a sad Panda

We have a Target card and love it. Nothing like saving an extra 5%, and it's still a debit card.

'87: Off Site, '94: GF, '02: FWC, '06: POP, '09: CSR, '10: POP, '12: CSR
FlightlessDuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: