Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2012, 10:59 PM   #1
binny
do something that MATTERS!

Diabetic cats?

Does anyone have any experience with this? We just found out that our 9 year old cat is diabetic. They dont expect that it will greatly impact his life and that once we get his glucose leveled out the rest of the symptoms will go away. They think he might not even need to be on insulin long term so thats good news.

If youve had a diabetic cat can you give me any pointers? Thank you
binny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:15 PM   #2
irishtigger
DIS Veteran

My cat is a diabetic

My cat is a diabetic and has been for about 4 years now. He has been on insulin the 1st time for about 9 months than he was off for about the same time and is now back on insulin and has been since that time. The worst part about all of it is the giving him the needle but once you get past that everything else is a piece of cake. We found that we don't only need to buy the food from the vet that fancy feast and blue wilderness make a food without gluten and he can have that to which made me a little happier cause he would barely touch the wet food from the vet. He does like the dry food. I wish you all the best and if you need or have any other questions I would be happy to answer them. Good Luck.
Register to remove

Old 09-24-2012, 11:19 PM   #3
shortbun
Peacenik

My diabetic cat drank water like crazy. I put out to fresh bowls every day so she'd have enough water. Of course, she also put out lots of fluid.

USE IT UP, WEAR IT OUT, MAKE IT DO OR DO WITHOUT.

IF YOUR UPKEEP EXCEEDS YOUR INCOME THEN YOUR OUTGO WILL BE YOUR DOWNFALL.
shortbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:32 AM   #4
swandiverpatt
DIS Veteran

My "grandkitty" was diagnosed about six months ago. The vet put him on insulin injections and had us stop all dry food (thankfully, he was eating wet and dry food). Once on a wet food diet (Fancy Feast Original flavors, and Friskies pate' type food), his blood sugar came right down in line where it should be.

He's happy he's gone from getting his ear stuck twice daily for blood count to maybe every 2 weeks. We stopped giving him insulin within 2 weeks of his diagnosis.

Good luck!

P.S. I have also started giving our other cats a better quality catfood with no corn/wheat fillers, mixed with their regular food in about a 50/50 formula (because it is SO expensive), hoping it will keep them from going diabetic in the future.
Old 09-25-2012, 03:28 PM   #5
snykymom
Still tagless after all these years

Our kitty had diabetes later in life. We gave her insulin shots twice a day, morning and night. We simply held her by the scruff of her neck and injected subcutaneously at the bottom of the scruff. The vet told us that this was where there were fewest nerves. After the first couple of times, she stopped fighting and let us do it without issue. Took all of 5 seconds or so.

The only problem was vacationing. We were lucky that we found a pet sitter who was also a vet tech, so she gave her the insulin.
Old 09-25-2012, 03:33 PM   #6
tvguy
Question anything the facts don't support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snykymom View Post
Our kitty had diabetes later in life. We gave her insulin shots twice a day, morning and night. We simply held her by the scruff of her neck and injected subcutaneously at the bottom of the scruff. The vet told us that this was where there were fewest nerves. After the first couple of times, she stopped fighting and let us do it without issue. Took all of 5 seconds or so.

The only problem was vacationing. We were lucky that we found a pet sitter who was also a vet tech, so she gave her the insulin.
Yeah, no big deal on the shots. Our last cat was diabetic, got 1 shot a day for 5 years, lived to age 17.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:47 PM   #7
binny

Thank you all for the information. I appreciate the hope as well

We had to rush him into a different vet today I wasnt very impressed with the last one. Monday he was at 300 and the vet then said to see if he will start eating by the end of the week (while continuing to syringe feed him). Today he was very listless and weak so I took him in and he was at 511! I left him at the new Vets and ran to grab the insulin. They pumped him full of Sub Q liquid while I was gone and got a lesson on shots when I got back.

This Vet is much more encouraging, she thinks we really only keep him on insulin for a couple of months and that after that we should be able to control with diet. No more hard food, all high protein soft foods. I guess Atkins for cats?
He is still not eating but he is very full from the Sub Q. She said he may not want to eat until tomorrow and that was ok.

He is weak still but at least he is acting more like himself. Hoping we can get this under control and that he can have a much healthier life. I am going to switch our new cat over to the new diet as well.
Thanks again!
Old 09-26-2012, 09:18 PM   #8
PenguinWaiters
Mouseketeer

Our cat is diabetic - diagnosed a few years ago. We have to give her insulin twice a day but it doesn't bother her at all. On occasion she has a diabetic episode and we have to give her Karo syrup which is much, much harder to do. We were also able to find a commercial cat food that worked for us and switched our other cat to that as well.

I agree with pp that one of the hardest things is to find someone to care for her while we are on vacation. Fortunately, my mother-in-law has had to give shots to cats before and is willing to do this for us.

I hope your kitty feels better soon!
Old 09-26-2012, 09:36 PM   #9
binny

Thats a good point, I actually had that conversation with the Vet Tech who dealt with him today. She told me that all the Techs there do house sitting as well and to just give them a call. The Vet said she thought that was a great idea because if one of them looked like they needed more attention they could just bring to work with them
Old 09-26-2012, 10:20 PM   #10
CaoilinnsMom
Mouseketeer

My cat lived until 24, he was diagnosed about age 4. He was insulin dependent until his last few months when he got really fragile and skinny. It was no big deal once we both go used to it. He had a few hospital trips for low blood sugar and had to be adjusted once in a while. But I don't know anyone who had a cat that lived as long, he was amazing. My mom still gets all teary when she thinks about him, he was the coolest cat ever. Truthfully, i am more of a dog person, but he was awesome everybody loved him. It can be Relatively inexpensive depending on the type of insulin, there are also prescription dry and we foods you an buy at the vet, you should ask about them as well. It is not such a big deal, you can do it
CaoilinnsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:36 PM   #11
zoo2tycoon
DIS Veteran

We have a diabetic kitty---or should say was diabetic. He was on insulin for 2 years. Found FELINE DIABETES MESSAGE BOARDS....go there. They are fantastic...trust them! No question is stupid!

We were on lowest dose on insulin twice a day for 1.5 years. Then started drinking lots again...knew what that meant. Vet wanted to up level without checking glucose level. I knew that was bad---so switched vets and found FDMB. Started asking questions and found out even diabetic dry food is bad. Low carb catfood is the best (WET). We switched in September 2009. Numbers started going down....by September 19, 2009 we went OTJ (off the juice--insulin) and have been OTJ for 3 years and counting. All because of low carb fancy feast catfood (there are specific ones and they are listed on FDMB---along with other low carb food).

My baby eats wet food---recently started giving treats of dry (about 1 tablespoon per day). September 2009 glucose over 300+....now he averages 50-60!

Good luck...diabetes is not a death sentence. We were diagnosed at age 7. Questions ASK!!!!

Glad to see you switched vets...thats what we had to do. Seems like your kitties are in good hands.....
zoo2tycoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:46 PM   #12
binny

Thank you! New vet said no more dry food, period. I did read that the "Classic" Fancy Feasts are ok but Vet said they still have junk in them. She said they were ok and way better than dry, but that a few of the others were better choices. I bought several different ones to see what he would eat but no luck yet with the eating, its like he has forgotten how He gets excited when he hears the package open then he sniffs it and just stares at it it.

Hopefully tomorrow I can get him to eat something at least.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: