Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2012, 12:24 PM   #31
Hrhpd
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by loricdietzel View Post
We will be going on our first cruise in October. I have read many reports about bringing candy and other snacks as well as phone cards for the CM on board. SO who do you usually give them to and how much do you give? We are going on a 4-night cruise. I have no idea how much to bring with. Thanks!!!!
If you really must, cash or visa gift cards for those not in a tipping position, above and beyond what you would already tip. I know at my bank, I can get any denomination visa debit card I want for no cost. Carry around lots of $5.00 and up gift cards.

That way, if they want candy, they can buy it themselves. If they want a to make a call, they can. And the visa cards or cash do not take up space nor do they have to worry about food being tampered with.

I know if I were a CM, I would toss even wrapped candy as you never know what wackos are out there. I am old enough to remember the halloween scare where a wackadoodle injected candy with syringes.
Hrhpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 12:26 PM   #32
Hrhpd
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyMinnieMelanie View Post
Do you think that Disney REALLY reads those letters and comment cards?
Yes they do. They can be factored into their reviews.
Hrhpd is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-29-2012, 12:52 PM   #33
Alesia
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyMinnieMelanie View Post
Do you think that Disney REALLY reads those letters and comment cards?
Not only do they read them, but they're taken into account when determining raises and promotions. It is absolutely the nicest extra thing you can do for a cast member.

Alesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 04:06 PM   #34
MickeyMinnieMelanie
Snow White: Fairest One of ALL

After reading this thread, I went and bought PB crackers, smarties, tootsie rolls and pops that I'm going to make the ghost, and some peanuts and other goodies that they may not receive as much of.
*March 2015: WDW AKL *October 2013: WDW Animation Resort, 1st MNSSHP *October 2012: DCL Fantasy (STT, St. Maarten, CC) *Surprise WDW Bday trip, March 2012: Pop Century *June 2011: DL (me and DH) *December 2010: WDW VWL, 1st MVMCP *October 2009: DCL Magic (St.Croix, STT, CC)*June 2008: WDW BCV *May 2008: WDW All Star Sports *March 2006: WDW Pop Century *January 2005: WDW All Star Movies *October 2003: First WDW Disney trip as a family (All Star Music)
MickeyMinnieMelanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 06:58 PM   #35
jilljill
Collects Disney men!
I had to go and write a novel didn't I?!
Come on over and join our thread

Location: 13-14½ hours drive from WDW - depending on who is driving (lol) OR 5 minutes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrhpd View Post
If you really must, cash or visa gift cards for those not in a tipping position, above and beyond what you would already tip. I know at my bank, I can get any denomination visa debit card I want for no cost. Carry around lots of $5.00 and up gift cards.

That way, if they want candy, they can buy it themselves. If they want a to make a call, they can. And the visa cards or cash do not take up space nor do they have to worry about food being tampered with.

I know if I were a CM, I would toss even wrapped candy as you never know what wackos are out there. I am old enough to remember the halloween scare where a wackadoodle injected candy with syringes.
Other than the 4 tipped positions, and the concierge hosts for those staying in concierge cabins, the rest of the CM's are not allowed to receive cash tips/gifts per company policy.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:01 PM   #36
sager1969
Mouseketeer

I love to make CM's day especially those who embody the Pixie Dust way. The most important thing is send a note or put their name and country on a comment card. I like to bring things that are native to my state. I have brought pins from my state and candy branded with Texas. The CM's are happy and grateful to be appreciated. Most of the time they seem to be shocked that someone would single them out with praise. A well timed thank for making my vacation special is a free way to make someone's day.

Have a great cruise!
Robin
sager1969 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: