Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2012, 08:09 PM   #1
Feej
Mouseketeer

Travel Time - Santa Barbara to DL

Hi All,

My family is heading over for a holiday in a few weeks, and prior to a week in DL, we are taking the drive along the coast road from LA to Monterey and back again.

Our last night before heading to DL is in Santa Barbara on Sat 20th October, and I was wondering approximately how long the drive to DL will be when we leave on the Sunday. I'm pretty sure I have to have the hire car back at Anaheim at 2pm, so I don't want to be rushed.

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:30 PM   #2
disneegrl4eva
now we just need a secret handshake or sign...
...because I'm special like that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feej View Post
Hi All,

My family is heading over for a holiday in a few weeks, and prior to a week in DL, we are taking the drive along the coast road from LA to Monterey and back again.

Our last night before heading to DL is in Santa Barbara on Sat 20th October, and I was wondering approximately how long the drive to DL will be when we leave on the Sunday. I'm pretty sure I have to have the hire car back at Anaheim at 2pm, so I don't want to be rushed.

Thanks in advance.
on a sunday it will take you about 2 hours give or take
Register to remove

Old 09-25-2012, 02:12 PM   #3
jankat
Earning My Ears

I live in Ventura (just south of Santa Barbara) and Sunday afternoons the southbound traffic on 101 along the coast can be really slow. It can take 45 minutes just to get down to Ventura, and then it normally takes another 1.5 to 2 hours to get to Anaheim. I would allow 3 hours so you're not stressed out on the freeway.
jankat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:01 PM   #4
katejc
Mouseketeer

I did this drive in August on a Sunday and it was VERY slow! Granted, this was summer, not October. We stopped at the outlets in Camarillo to shop and eat dinner and it was better after that. But I would allow 3 hours to be safe.
katejc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:26 PM   #5
Miss Peach
Mouseketeer

The traffic flow out of Santa Barbara is like pouring molasses through a small funnel.

I would plan for at least three hours, and the later in the day on a Sunday, the more time to allow!
Miss Peach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:12 PM   #6
Feej
Mouseketeer

So, if we left around 10am it wouldn't be too bad?
Old 09-30-2012, 12:54 PM   #7
MychaelP
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feej View Post
So, if we left around 10am it wouldn't be too bad?
10am may be "ok". Keep checking traffic online beginning at 9am. When we visit SB from O.C. or further from the I.E., we leave SB by 10am or stay and leave at 7pm. The 101 after Camarillo is no fun drive in traffic.

Have a great trip, and take highway 1 at least one way. Check for fog conditions first, but even with fog it can make for an amazing sight. Don't stop too many times as I did or you won't get to Monterey early. There are many pull-offs from the road each with amazing views... You can walk down to the rocks in some areas (be safe) and picnic for lunch.
There were many little restaurants, and even a library we passed that we wrote down for future visits.
The little town of Cambria on highway one is worth a quick stop for some of their famous pies at Lynn's Bin. Not sure I spelled it right.
There was a huge amount of elephant seals a few miles beyond Hearst Castle also to stop and view.
Also check into what you want to do in Monterey... my last visit in April showed it has changed to be more touristy and I didn't enjoy it as much.
MychaelP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:50 PM   #8
Feej
Mouseketeer

Thanks for all that awesome info. I think I'll try to get the girls moving early and try and get out of SB *before* 10am if I can. If not, I'll just suck it up and enjoy the view.

And thanks for all the tips for the drive along the coast - We're really looking forward to that part of the trip. Being a tourist from Australia, I guess I can live with Monterey being a bit touristy.

We're staying in a hotel (apparently) right next door to the Aquarium, so that should be good. Other than the aquarium, we haven't given a lot of thought to other things we might want to do. Was thinking of checking out Carmel and wandering around on foot etc.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:13 PM   #9
prettyprincessbelle
I'm just excited for the BBQ! Yum YUM!
Pots and pans? Seriously?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jankat View Post
I live in Ventura (just south of Santa Barbara) and Sunday afternoons the southbound traffic on 101 along the coast can be really slow. It can take 45 minutes just to get down to Ventura, and then it normally takes another 1.5 to 2 hours to get to Anaheim. I would allow 3 hours so you're not stressed out on the freeway.
Hi neighbor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MychaelP View Post
10am may be "ok". Keep checking traffic online beginning at 9am. When we visit SB from O.C. or further from the I.E., we leave SB by 10am or stay and leave at 7pm. The 101 after Camarillo is no fun drive in traffic.
This ^^^. And I live in Camarillo. We usually always hit traffic right in Calabasas and before the 101/405 interchange, no matter what time we leave and what day.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: