Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2012, 10:31 PM   #16
crazybones27
DVC Member

We love the Garden Grill. We've done dinner there twice and both times got the booths on the lower level. We never had a problem with the kids getting out and interacting with the characters. We just sit the kids on the outside to make it easier.

The wait staff was great both times and made sure we got exactly what we needed. We love the characters here because they come around a few times. On our last visit our son was asleep when we arrived and missed all the characters the first time around. He woke up somewhere in the middle and all the characters came around again and he was happy to see them.

I'm not sure why this restaurant gets some bad reviews, but we enjoy it and will return in the future
crazybones27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:57 AM   #17
SignMeUp
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctl View Post
We have found with the dining plan and built-in gratuity, quite a few servers tend to not be as attentive as they used to be. But overall the food is fresh and tasty and up until last year you could have seconds if you so desired. Hope this helps.
There is no built-in gratuity with the dining plan and fairly certain that GG is like any other family style restaurant in that if you would like more of any dish they will bring it to you if you ask.

Kids' first trip: April 25 - May 2, 2009 Contemporary upgraded to MK view! Surprise trip (shhh! don't tell my kids!): May 29 - June 5, 2010 Beach Club

Universal trip to see WWoHP: February 12 - 16, 2011 Royal Pacific Resort Finally going back!!! December 14 - 21, 2012 Poly
SignMeUp is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-25-2012, 07:10 AM   #18
Familyof4lovesDW
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignMeUp View Post
There is no built-in gratuity with the dining plan and fairly certain that GG is like any other family style restaurant in that if you would like more of any dish they will bring it to you if you ask.
This poster is correct. I ate there last week. They will bring you more of anything you want. Adults get turkey, stuffing, fish of some sort talopia? Maybe, and beef and mashed potatoes. Kids get roasted chicken legs and Mac and cheese. Of course everyone can eat what is brought to the table. Dd7 had most of the fish. They will even cook the beef as you like it, as mine was too red, so they brought me some that was cooked lol.

When you are seated they tell you where this kids should sit, so I have never found it an issue. They sit on the outsides so they can get to the characters.

This is one of our favorites. Great character interaction. Gratuity is not included. This is one of the kids favorite meals.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:24 AM   #19
LoriJune
Mouseketeer

Thumbs up!

We love the Garden Grill. We've always had great character interaction and enjoy the food. Going back in January.
2013 Windsor Palms 2013 Beach Club 2012 Boardwalk 2010 Old Key West 2008 Polynesian 2005 Carribean Beach 2000 Port Orleans French Quarter 1998 Coronado Springs 1997 Carribean Beach 1992 Dixie Landings 1985 and 1979 Off Site
LoriJune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:25 AM   #20
Princess on the Run
Sprinkling Pixie Dust!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Familyof4lovesDW View Post
When you are seated they tell you where this kids should sit, so I have never found it an issue. They sit on the outsides so they can get to the characters.
I wish someone would have suggested that to us when we sat down. It would have made part of it better. Although with our youngest still in a booster seat, one of us had to get him down each time anyway.

Our dissatisfaction with Garden Grill is my own fault for not looking at the menu, too. I was focused on who the characters are and didn't pay attention to the menu. We can usually find something we like to eat on any menu, so I didn't worry much about what they offered until I found out you didn't have a choice. Chicken on a bone is not a good choice for small kids because it just makes work for parents having to cut it off. But I do consider that my own fault for not looking more closely when I booked it. I saw Chip & Dale and didn't look any farther.

Princess on the Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:10 AM   #21
Denine
I want to go on a cruise! I want to move to sunny Florida!

I guess we are in the minority here. We ate at GG in March. The food was just plain gross. The character interaction was great. We were in the upper level and couldn't see a thing as far as the scenery goes. We were all very disappointed because we really wanted to eat there and enjoy it.
We have friends that went in August and felt the same way.

This is the only restaurant in WDW that we have come across that we will not go to again.
Disney Magic 10-01 Disney Magic 10-14-06 Disney Magic 10-16-10
Disney Magic 10-12-02 Disney Magic 10-13-07Disney Wonder 10-16-11
Disney Magic 10-19-02 Disney Magic 10-11-08Disney Magic 5-9-12
Denine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:28 AM   #22
TheUnknownComic
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliebug1997

I totally agree with both of these. We have loved every meal there and Chip and Dale are awesome.

We've seen lots of families sit their kids on the outside parts of the booths so that the kids could get in and out easier. We've also seen them just climb under the table.
I also agree. My kids loved it. They came around like 3 times before we finished. Great pics, food is Buffett food basically but good enough for the fun and experience!
TheUnknownComic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:17 PM   #23
sarmat1
Mouseketeer

We were there last month, and GG is now a must-do for future trips. Very good food and great character interaction (multiple times per character). They'll bring you out food refills on whatever you want. Definitely recommend.
sarmat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:21 PM   #24
PrincessP
Mouseketeer

We loved our visits there (once 3 yrs ago, once last week). THe food was better this trip. The kids had sweet potato fries that were yummy to everyone at the table. Adults had a trio of options...turkey/dressing....veggies w/tilapia (fish)....roast beef w/mashed potatoes.

The desserts for the adults and kids were yummy this time, too....not good 3 yrs ago.

yummy creamy cupcake in a paper cone for the kids....delicious berry fruit cobbler for the adults.

But the reason to go is for the character interaction which is really great.

1977, 1982, 1989, 1992, OKW June 2002
Poly Sept 2009 - 1st trip for and with our own children!
Poly Sept 2010 - had so much fun we had to go again!
Poly Sept 2012 - another magical vacation
PrincessP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:11 PM   #25
SoosieQ
Mouseketeer

Ate there last Wed night and loved it!

CSR- 9/2014, POP- 5/2014, POR-9/2012, POFQ- 9/2010, POFQ- 9/2009, Caribbean Beach- 12/2008, YC- 9/2007, POR- 9/2005, Contemporary- 9/2004, CSR- 9/2003,
GF- 6/2003, CBR- 5/2001,POR- 9/2000
POR- ?, POR- ?, Off-site many times
SoosieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:21 PM   #26
Cindy-rella
Mouseketeer

This was the restaurant both my kids said was a must do for next summer's trip. We really love it.:-)

DH :Me DD10 DS8
2007 - Fort Wilderness Campground
2009 - All Star Movie
2011 All Star Sports

Cindy-rella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:31 PM   #27
emmebear
nurse & mommy.

i did a review of our meal @ garden grill here: http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2973740&page=4

it was a really great experience and the food was really tasty & fresh. this was the best character interaction of the entire trip. we saw all the characters three times during our dinner. chip & dale were fantastic!

i will definitely be returning...we had a blast!!
emmebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:44 PM   #28
sammielynn
DIS Veteran

We are another group that loves the Garden Grill. A must do for my DS23 and DS21. The food is excellent. For those that thought it was gross, what was gross??
Old 09-25-2012, 07:49 PM   #29
DisneyHolidayFan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denine View Post
I guess we are in the minority here. We ate at GG in March. The food was just plain gross. The character interaction was great. We were in the upper level and couldn't see a thing as far as the scenery goes. We were all very disappointed because we really wanted to eat there and enjoy it.
We have friends that went in August and felt the same way.

This is the only restaurant in WDW that we have come across that we will not go to again.
I agree! We were there in April with our son, daughter-in-law and three grandchildren. It turned out to be our worst meal of the trip - the amount they first brought to our table probably could have been consumed by just my husband. And most of it was not very good. We asked for more and it took forever. I have never seen my son eat so little. Waitress didn't seem like she wanted to be there. GG used to be our favorite restaurant but after the last two visits, we will not be returning for a while.
DisneyHolidayFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:00 PM   #30
Princess on the Run
Sprinkling Pixie Dust!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammielynn View Post
We are another group that loves the Garden Grill. A must do for my DS23 and DS21. The food is excellent. For those that thought it was gross, what was gross??
My biggest complaint with the food was the lack of choice. I will be the first to admit that I should have done my research and known it was a preset menu, so I take some responsibility for that. I was too focused on the characters and not enough on the menu.

The chicken legs were not a good choice for my kids (6, 4 and 2 at the time) because it took me forever to have to pull the small amount of meat off the bone for them to eat it (meanwhile, my food is getting cold). Their sides were mac and cheese and sweet potato fries. How about a vegetable? My kids eat veggies with their meals and I would assume most others do too. We ended up giving them the broccoli that came on the adult plate so they'd have something.

The adult food was covered in some kind of sauce or gravy. I can't remember exactly what it was but I am not a fan of condiments. I typically order things fairly plain or with the sauces on the side so I can just add a little as I go instead of having my food drenched in it.

It wasn't awful or the worst food we've ever eaten. It just wasn't anything we would have chosen for ourselves. We are fairly healthy eaters and it felt like junk food. One of our biggest raves about Disney food is the great options for healthy choices at most places. This one didn't match up.

At the end of the day, the kids liked the characters and we were still at WDW, so it's not all bad, we just won't go back. There are too many awesome restaurants there to waste a meal on something that was just "meh."

Princess on the Run is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: