Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2012, 04:08 PM   #106
jujube
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,575

I'm in my mid 50s with screwed up lumbar discs and I can walk in the parks 12 hours each day. When I was a child, I could have run in the parks all day. Barring any physical or deveopmental conditions, I think kids should walk. If they get tired, take a break or go into one of the shows.
jujube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:07 PM   #107
okeydokey
Frosty the Snowman scared me as a child
It will always be beautiful no matter what it looks like naked
 
okeydokey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: N. Florida
Posts: 8,770

8 years old? That's a third grader?
okeydokey is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 10-01-2012, 05:19 PM   #108
Dizisfun
Mouseketeer
 
Dizisfun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Maryland
Posts: 427

ignore the rude comments of others and do what's best for you and your family and enjoy your Disney time.

My older grandchildren (6-9) will not ride in a baby stroller but they sure will jump in one of the strollers that the parks have....sometimes we rent it just to carry packages, backpacks, and coolers, but ultimately one of the kids will get tired and jump right in....

We have taken 5 grands with us to Universal. We started out with the double stroller from the park for the 5 year old, backpacks, and cooler. He wouldn't ride in it until the older kids wanted in then of course he wanted to ride in it. So they ended up taking turns.
__________________
Dizisfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:30 PM   #109
Maggie'sMom
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 3,343

Quote:
Originally Posted by okeydokey View Post
8 years old? That's a third grader?
Yep.
Maggie'sMom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:57 PM   #110
LisaTC
DIS Veteran
 
LisaTC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,439

OY! I knew when I saw this post the poor OP hadn't a clue what a can of worms was about to explode on the DIS. Poor thing! Our DD will be 9 when we go in Dec. She was almost 8 when we went last October. She wouldn't be caught dead in a stroller at this age....EXCEPT when she was dog tired at the end of MNSSHP and said she wished she could ride in a wheelchair! We overstayed the day. Period. Exhaustion, at that point, would have trumped being pushed around...however, she did say wheelchair and not stroller. Every kid is different. Nobody knows anybody else's story.

We have a Schwinn jogger. She doesn't use it anymore, but it does go to 65 pounds and it pushes like a dream...literally with 2 fingers. I would recommend, if your children do not have any physical or developmental challenges, and you have your heart set on getting a stroller, you get the largest single you can rent and switch off if necessary. I think you'll end up on the wrong end of tired, not them! Mom will need a wheelchair! They will likely surprise you. My DD aka Little Miss Winey Pants, walked like a soldier. Knocked my socks off! Good luck.
__________________
(ME) (DH) (DD10)

LisaTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:46 PM   #111
CraftyMommy
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 377

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmrsfraz View Post
We have been to Disney several times so I know how hard it can be on a child walking around the park all day. In the past we have always taken our own Joovy sit and stand. But this year my kids are older and the front seat of the sit and stand just isn't an option for them. My DDs are 8yr (59 lbs and 52" tall) and 5yr (40lbs and 42" tall) I am considering renting from Kingdom Strollers because of the better price and more comfort compared to the strollers in the parks.
However, I am wondering if the Double City Elite will have enough leg room. By looking at the photo it seems like there isn't much room for their legs. The foot rest seems really close to the seat. The Mini GT, however, looks to have more leg room than the Elite. The foot rest appears to be lower down for more room for their legs.
Has anyone seen these in person before to make this comparison for me?

I am really not looking forward to hauling this big double stroller on and off the buses, but I am guessing this is my only option. Renting in the parks just seems to be silly to pay more money for a less comfortable stroller. But then again I am a little worried that these Baby Joggers will look like a "baby stroller" for my eight year old. She won't mind what she rides in as long as she is comfortable. My eight year old is a big complainer when it comes to being tired and uncomfortable!
I only read through a couple pages but I saw several judgmental and rude posts. I don't know a lot about strollers for you, but I will say, I feel your pain. I naively made the mistake of posting an innocent thread asking if anyone else experienced my situation and received tons of unwanted parenting advice. I tried to be nice and brush it off, but after my innocent question turned into 10+ pages I quit reading. The negativity from all the fanatics with the desire to preach was too much to handle.

The Dis is not for the innocent people who come here to ask a random question about planning a Disney vacation. If you dare to ask a question that has been asked in the past century, someone will rudely point you to the search button. Your question isn't unique and fresh enough, off to the Search button you go! Or, your question shows you are naive. Let me school you on the ways of proper parenting of perfectly non-spoiled children who take 20,000 trips to WDW and walk every bit of it.

Disney fanatics are definitely fanatics about more than just Disney, they also love to start debates even when the debate was not asked for or wanted. Even when you tell them you don't care for their judgmental and rude comments they still continue to push them on you. After all...its a board full of Disney fanatics and we must be fanatical about everything, opinions and all.

Welcome to the Judgemental Disboards. Have a Disney day!
CraftyMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:51 PM   #112
Missy13d69
DIS Veteran
 
Missy13d69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 826

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraftyMommy View Post
I only read through a couple pages but I saw several judgmental and rude posts. I don't know a lot about strollers for you, but I will say, I feel your pain. I naively made the mistake of posting an innocent thread asking if anyone else experienced my situation and received tons of unwanted parenting advice. I tried to be nice and brush it off, but after my innocent question turned into 10+ pages I quit reading. The negativity from all the fanatics with the desire to preach was too much to handle.

The Dis is not for the innocent people who come here to ask a random question about planning a Disney vacation. If you dare to ask a question that has been asked in the past century, someone will rudely point you to the search button. Your question isn't unique and fresh enough, off to the Search button you go! Or, your question shows you are naive. Let me school you on the ways of proper parenting of perfectly non-spoiled children who take 20,000 trips to WDW and walk every bit of it.

Disney fanatics are definitely fanatics about more than just Disney, they also love to start debates even when the debate was not asked for or wanted. Even when you tell them you don't care for their judgmental and rude comments they still continue to push them on you. After all...its a board full of Disney fanatics and we must be fanatical about everything, opinions and all.

Welcome to the Judgemental Disboards. Have a Disney day!
Oh, those people who shout "Search!" are awful in my opinion. If all you have to add to the conversation, is to tell someone to search, then don't bother responding. Someone else will come along to actually be helpful. That's the point of the this whole DISboards after all, isn't it?
__________________
Our First trip was 4/18 - 4/27 2013. Can't wait to go back! Hopefully in 2016.
Husband, Jeremy Me!, Melisa Mother, Barb Cordell, 9 Annabelle, 4 Nicholas, 2










Missy13d69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:20 PM   #113
Cree629
Mouseketeer
 
Cree629's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 343

I don't know why people feel the need to be so judgmental. I actually find it amusing to a point. Honestly, I don't understand why anyone cares how someone else chooses to travel around the parks with their family.

The "logic" they use doesn't even make sense most of the time. Yes, we are all aware that typical strollers are not designed for 8 year-olds and that children tend to have lots of energy. We are all aware of the fact that childhood obesity is a serious issue in our country. But we are not talking about pushing a 60 pound child around in a stroller around town on an everyday basis.

Some posters insist that if your child gets hot and tired, it's time to call it quits for the day. I laugh, because I suspect many of those posters do no such thing; rather, that they are among the parents I have seen all over WDW losing their patience with hot, tired children either for complaining or for not keeping up.

Not everyone is fortunate enough to be able to visit WDW yearly. For some, it's a once-in-a-lifetime trip. But if your 8-year old isn't used to the heat and the walking, too bad, you need to call it a day. Even if they want nothing more than to stay in the park and experience more. Even if letting them rest or eat or drink or escape the sun for 10 minutes every couple hours while the family gets from point A to B or while waiting for a parade to start is all they need to stay happy and rested and capable of enjoying more of their family vacation.

One poster said that using a stroller is doing what's best for YOURSELF, not your child. Seriously?? The experiences children can get in the WDW parks are priceless and create forever memories. But if yours gets tired walking, too bad. They need to leave. Because you are a terrible, selfish parent forcing your child whose feet are tired to sit comfortably and continue touring a Disney park.

Instead, you should do what one poster does and have your exhausted child "sleepwalk" back to your hotel room at night. Wear them out completely by making them walk all day... Then, if they fall asleep on the bus ride, just tell them they have no choice and lead their groggy little bodies "by the arm" across the resort and back to your room. Yes, that's what parents who have their children's best interests in mind do!

Excuse my sarcasm, but honestly, people. Do what's best for your family and don't worry about anyone elses. Every child, every family is different. Families tour differently and have different expectations and priorities. It's not anyone's place to judge someone else's choices for their family, especially something as trivial as whether or not their child is too old to be riding in a stroller at a theme park!

My seven year old will probably not be in a stroller this November. Unless she is.
__________________
Chrissy


Cree629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:56 PM   #114
PinkyPie
Earning My Ears
 
PinkyPie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1

What an amazingly judgmental rant about being non-judgmental.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Cree629 View Post
I don't know why people feel the need to be so judgmental. I actually find it amusing to a point. Honestly, I don't understand why anyone cares how someone else chooses to travel around the parks with their family.

The "logic" they use doesn't even make sense most of the time. Yes, we are all aware that typical strollers are not designed for 8 year-olds and that children tend to have lots of energy. We are all aware of the fact that childhood obesity is a serious issue in our country. But we are not talking about pushing a 60 pound child around in a stroller around town on an everyday basis.

Some posters insist that if your child gets hot and tired, it's time to call it quits for the day. I laugh, because I suspect many of those posters do no such thing; rather, that they are among the parents I have seen all over WDW losing their patience with hot, tired children either for complaining or for not keeping up.

Not everyone is fortunate enough to be able to visit WDW yearly. For some, it's a once-in-a-lifetime trip. But if your 8-year old isn't used to the heat and the walking, too bad, you need to call it a day. Even if they want nothing more than to stay in the park and experience more. Even if letting them rest or eat or drink or escape the sun for 10 minutes every couple hours while the family gets from point A to B or while waiting for a parade to start is all they need to stay happy and rested and capable of enjoying more of their family vacation.

One poster said that using a stroller is doing what's best for YOURSELF, not your child. Seriously?? The experiences children can get in the WDW parks are priceless and create forever memories. But if yours gets tired walking, too bad. They need to leave. Because you are a terrible, selfish parent forcing your child whose feet are tired to sit comfortably and continue touring a Disney park.

Instead, you should do what one poster does and have your exhausted child "sleepwalk" back to your hotel room at night. Wear them out completely by making them walk all day... Then, if they fall asleep on the bus ride, just tell them they have no choice and lead their groggy little bodies "by the arm" across the resort and back to your room. Yes, that's what parents who have their children's best interests in mind do!

Excuse my sarcasm, but honestly, people. Do what's best for your family and don't worry about anyone elses. Every child, every family is different. Families tour differently and have different expectations and priorities. It's not anyone's place to judge someone else's choices for their family, especially something as trivial as whether or not their child is too old to be riding in a stroller at a theme park!

My seven year old will probably not be in a stroller this November. Unless she is.
PinkyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:44 AM   #115
smidgy
dimples
 
smidgy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: chicago area
Posts: 6,391

just spent a week with our 6 year old grandson at WDW. believe me, my son and DIL were commando. my grandson would've died of embarrassment before he rode in a stroller.

there are strollers for little kids, and once kids get bigger, strollers for "special needs" children.
I think strollers for special needs kids are wonderful. without" special needs", I think they are not needed. that's the whole point.

we all get tired , cranky, hot, etc. I could see age 5, even 6. people say it is no one's business. I will tell you why I think (just my opinion) why it is my business.

It's because strollers are a pain in the butt to everyone else. sorry, but it's true. we all know they are necessary at an amusement park. esp. one that caters to little children, like Disney World.

I sure as heck wouldn't want to be dragging a toddler around all day. the whole family slowing down to his pace (heck, I dislike draggin DH around all day, slowing down to HIS pace!)

but once kids are in school all day, it's kinda accepted that they are past "stroller" age.

and why does this matter to me? cause strollers are a pain to everyone else. If we put aside the minority who purposely use them as battering rams, and assume everyone using them are polite and considerate, there still are accidents. they can't be helped. you are looking one way and pushing another. I mean, you can't look forward constantly the whole day! like, with blinders on. too much to look at.
I get it.
and people change their minds about which way to walk. both the stroller pusher and the people without a stroller.

and all of this in UNDERSTOOD. it's disney. there are parents with little kids in strollers.. you try to look out for them and vice versa. but you throw in kids ages 7, 8, etc. in the mix, now you have multiplied the amount of strollers.

buses: strollers take up room. less people get on the bus.

these are just my observances.

I really have don't care how you raise your children and it IS none of my business. if you put it on a public message board, you get opinions. my opinion is an 8 year old is too old to sit in a stroller. strollers are for toddlers and preschoolers. but you raise your children however you want.

but when the amount of strollers seems to have risen by 33% (just my number, not a Stat) it does get very annoying to everyone else.
if your child is too big to fit in a stroller, they dont' need a stroller anymore. unless they have special needs. misusing the special needs strollers actually hinders things for those families who actually do needspecial needs strollers(those families with children with physical disabilities, children with autism, etc).

this is my personal opinion, not an attack on anyone. and my reasoning why so many people are irritated by something that seemingly is none of their business.

Last edited by smidgy; 10-02-2012 at 02:57 AM.
smidgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:16 AM   #116
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 20,034

Quote:
Originally Posted by okeydokey View Post
8 years old? That's a third grader?
Here 8 year olds are 3rd and 4th graders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cree629 View Post
The "logic" they use doesn't even make sense most of the time.
I disagree, the logical conclusion is that an 8 year old is perfectly capable of walking around WDW all day. Its logical to think that an 8 year old can take a break when they get tired. Its logical to think that parents can re-arrange their schedule to accomodate their 8 year old child. Its logical to think an 8 year old doesn't belong in a stroller because an 8 year old is not a baby and shouldn't be treated like one.

I opened this thread because I have an 8 year old. I've also raised 2 other 8 year olds. So yeah when I see stroller for an 8 year old its hard not to be judgmental, I do have some experience and know what an 8 year old can do
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:26 AM   #117
rainynight
Mouseketeer
 
rainynight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 385

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy3 View Post
Here 8 year olds are 3rd and 4th graders.



I disagree, the logical conclusion is that an 8 year old is perfectly capable of walking around WDW all day. Its logical to think that an 8 year old can take a break when they get tired. Its logical to think that parents can re-arrange their schedule to accomodate their 8 year old child. Its logical to think an 8 year old doesn't belong in a stroller because an 8 year old is not a baby and shouldn't be treated like one.

I opened this thread because I have an 8 year old. I've also raised 2 other 8 year olds. So yeah when I see stroller for an 8 year old its hard not to be judgmental, I do have some experience and know what an 8 year old can do
I agree with your response. We have been to Disney World twice, once when our son just turned 2 and then to celebrate his 4th birthday, neither time did we use, or even thought we needed, a stroller. There is a lot of walking for sure, but not straight walking, there's breaks for lines and rides so it's not constant movement.

WDW is jam packed wtih strollers, so much that it's hard to walk around at times. And it seems a large number of those are used for kids who are plenty big enough to walk. Of course on the other spectrum we have a large number of adults on scooters. No wonder obesity is such a concern, people view walking as a bad thing these days. It's okay for a child to wear themselves out phyically...in fact it's a good thing. It's called exercise.

I think anything beyond age 5 is way too old, and even that is really pushing it.
rainynight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:32 AM   #118
nchulka
it was funny when the creepy guys would follow close to them and then pull their chainsaws
 
nchulka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,306

Here is why another parent pushing around an complaining 8 year old in a stroller affects me. It's because as we all know children are the future of this country. What kind of future leaders will we have who have been raised think they should be made comfortable all the time, that everyone else lives and breathes to make them happy, that whenever they are tired/hungry etc all they have to do is start whining about it and they will be instantly given whatever they want to again return them to a state of being constantly happy and comfortable?!?! A parents JOB is to teach kids that sometime things are hard, but you keep going! I can just imagine if today's generation of parents lived 200 years ago, "Oh, yes, let's go explore the west and settle it! Oh, but all 15 if our kids will need their own private horse to ride on, because how can they possibly be expected to WALK across several states of endless prairie and forests. I just couldn't bear to listen if any of them were unhappy and started to complain" Good thing our ancestors were A LOT tougher than we are, I fear for our future
__________________
Me DH DD(10) DS (9)
nchulka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:33 AM   #119
rainynight
Mouseketeer
 
rainynight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 385

Another thought. We had a few days of heavy rain during our Disney trip last month and our son wanted to ride the teacups, so we walk over to it in the pouring rain (I love rain so that didn't bother me), but when we got there the whole area was jam packed with people and their strollers trying to stay under cover, so much that although there was no line to actually get on the ride, there was no way we could get to it without pushing people and their strollers out the way. The same thing happened at stores and restaurants, the outside was packed with people and their multiple strollers trying to stay dry and completely blocking off the entrance to everyone else. It was like 1 person for every 3 strollers.

Monorails...not enough room for people since it's mostly filled with strollers.

Save the strollers for babies, as soon as they start walking they don't need them.
rainynight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:35 AM   #120
rainynight
Mouseketeer
 
rainynight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 385

Quote:
Originally Posted by nchulka View Post
Here is why another parent pushing around an complaining 8 year old in a stroller affects me. It's because as we all know children are the future of this country. What kind of future leaders will we have who have been raised think they should be made comfortable all the time, that everyone else lives and breathes to make them happy, that whenever they are tired/hungry etc all they have to do is start whining about it and they will be instantly given whatever they want to again return them to a state of being constantly happy and comfortable?!?! A parents JOB is to teach kids that sometime things are hard, but you keep going! I can just imagine if today's generation of parents lived 200 years ago, "Oh, yes, let's go explore the west and settle it! Oh, but all 15 if our kids will need their own private horse to ride on, because how can they possibly be expected to WALK across several states of endless prairie and forests. I just couldn't bear to listen if any of them were unhappy and started to complain" Good thing our ancestors were A LOT tougher than we are, I fear for our future
That pretty much sounds like the current generation of adults.
rainynight is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:12 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: