Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2012, 12:37 PM   #91
ConvenientTruth
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by p44nmun View Post
It's weird. I'm fairly new to the dis board, and thought it was around to help people plan their Disney trips and give info. More than often though, I'm seeing people post things that seem like they are intentionally just trying to make others feel bad. I get that everybody is entitled to their own opinions, but there is a kind way to state opinions.

Hi....welcome to the internet...where everyone has an opinion and you are a horrible person/parent/spouse/child/politician/employee/boss....for not agreeing
Old 09-27-2012, 02:41 PM   #92
RMulieri
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy3 View Post
Its a conundrum.

There really isn't any middle ground though. A 4 1/2 ft, healthy 4th grader should have no problem walking around WDW for a day. They should be able to communicate to their parents that they are tired and need a rest or they want to go to bed, without acting like a baby or pre-schooler and having a whiny tantrum, and without having to be pushed around in a stroller. And a parent should be listening and taking those breaks or cutting their day short.

I try not to judge, but like I said my ds is 8, he weighs 54lbs and is just a little bit shorter than the OPs child. On top of me not wanting to push him around for my own selfish reasons, I couldn't imagine subjecting him to that, he isn't a baby, he's a 4th grader and is capable of acting like one, if given the chance.
If the OP isn't willing to hear that there are parents out there who think sticking an 8 year old in a stroller is just wrong, then she shouldn't be putting her dilemma out on a public message board where people are free to share their opinions. And disagreeing with her does not equal rude
agree..Anyone can do whatever they want.I just happen to disagree with putting an older ,healthy child in a stroller..An 8 yr old is MOST definitely capable ( barring any health or developmental issues) of walking Disney.My daughter is a small 8 yr old who can complain up a storm,but she knows Disney means walking and no whining and knows whats expected of her.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-27-2012, 05:48 PM   #93
Ccann
Mouseketeer

OP,
I felt I should chime in I only got through 3 pages of posts.
Do what you are comfortable with, I agree with maybe 1 stroller and alternate but at the end of the day you might end up carrying one child anyways. So that's tough.
When we went 2 years ago my daughter just turned 4 and son was 18months. We went with one bigger umbrella stroller, it was easy to fold and open with one hand . My son rode most of the time our daughter did great but we also had to take breaks in the middle of the day, yay for park hoppers!( We're going in Nov I'll be bringing that stroller with me, we're flying and it helps to get through the airport and two crowds this helps to keep track on the kids one sits the other holds on to my shirt or the handle of stroller.)
Our daughter never really used the stroller but would asked when we were waiting for the bus to pick us up!
We went with a large group my oldest nephew 12 at the time even asked to sit in the stroller, so I guess embarrassment disappears when fatigue kicks in..(this nephew is a Macho Man type to cool for school.)

Don't worry about the negative people with their way is best attitudes, because sooner or later they will be scratching their head on what to do or where did I go wrong? Lol...
Ccann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:32 PM   #94
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccann View Post
OP,

Don't worry about the negative people with their way is best attitudes, because sooner or later they will be scratching their head on what to do or where did I go wrong? Lol...
I don't think anyone here is saying their way is best. It is really just common sense that an 8 year old doesn't belong in a stroller. There is a reason the OP is having difficulty finding one to fit a child that old/big, its because most people know it. Trust me, the people who do aren't going to be the ones wondering where did I go wrong
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:32 PM   #95
Leajess99
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by badblackpug View Post
I am amazed at how all the kids on the DIS and skinny and active to the point of being competitive athletes, yet still can't manage to walk in a theme park.

Also, disagreeing that a healthy, skinny, competitive school-aged athlete does not need a stroller does not equate to "parent bashing."

No where else in the world, except for WDW, do you routinely see children over pre-school age in strollers, and this is mostly an American phenomenon. It's no wonder we are obese. Our kids are too lazy to even have fun.
My now 9 year old soccer/basketball player with asthma walks the park every trip. I am by no means perfect nor am I bashing anyone else but my kids are more than capable of walking through Disney and other theme parks with no problems regardless of length of trip or 100 degree temps.
Leajess99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:22 PM   #96
awoogala
Mouseketeer

I agree with the mountain buggy. Moves like a dream with 1 hand, goes up to 100 lbs. I have rented the park strollers for my tiny 6 yr old, and once or twice, my 8 year old jumped in too. We don't go during the time of year where afternoon breaks would work (when the park closes at 8 pm?), and my kids have never napped a day in their lives. My little one always falls asleep in the stroller, and the rest of us get to watch wishes. There is no way I am going to miss every night of fireworks because I have one kid who needs to sleep earlier than everyone else! Plus, it works out just fine, since she also won't do any of the big rides, and we can easily do child swap once she is out!
We have never gotten any comments at all. And if I did, I would probably tell them to keep their comments to themself!
This year we won't bring one, but I will say the worst time for not having a stroller is that awful moment back at the resort, when you get off the bus with your sleeping big kid, and then have to carry them the mile back to your room! I will miss it then!
Old 09-27-2012, 09:23 PM   #97
Hannathy
When I stop laughing I will answer you

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy3 View Post
I don't think anyone here is saying their way is best. It is really just common sense that an 8 year old doesn't belong in a stroller. There is a reason the OP is having difficulty finding one to fit a child that old/big, its because most people know it. Trust me, the people who do aren't going to be the ones wondering where did I go wrong
That is exactly what I was saying when I said:

I think when your child gets so big that you have to look at adaptive strollers for special needs children it out to tell you something........

common sense tells you an 8 yr old without certain special needs, (because not all special needs kids need one at 8 either), does not belong in a baby stroller. they aren't made for kids that old and big.
Hannathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:26 PM   #98
Hannathy
When I stop laughing I will answer you

Quote:
Originally Posted by awoogala View Post
This year we won't bring one, but I will say the worst time for not having a stroller is that awful moment back at the resort, when you get off the bus with your sleeping big kid, and then have to carry them the mile back to your room! I will miss it then!
Why do you carry them? they can sleep walk back, mine always did. I never carried my kids past about 3 ever, between being very short and having a bad back I never carried them just said lets go and led them back by the arm. Kids only do what you let them do.
Hannathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 03:33 PM   #99
CanuckTraveller
Mouseketeer

Another option is the BOB revolution, mine has a 70lb weight limit, although head space will be limited. DS1 was horsing around in it a few weeks ago and he had his knees up in the air crouched down to get in, but he still fits the weight limit.
Not commenting on whether this is right, just that it can be done. FWIW We will not be bringing a stroller for our 7.5 and 5 yo boys when we go in March, in fact we haven't travelled with a stroller since DS2 was 2 yrs old.
African safari, July, 2016

Past:
DCL Dream/ WDW, March, 2013
NCL Jewel, New Year's Eve, 2012
NCL Star, New Year's, 2012
NCL Sun, New Year's, 2011
Land trips to all Canadian provinces, most of the eastern US, Jamaica, Dominican Republic, Cuba, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Egypt, Columbia, Puerto Rico and a few others I can't remember as a child!
CanuckTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:36 AM   #100
Ccann
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy3

I wasn't meaning just about the stroller only some ppl on here act like they know all, and the truth is we are all doing trial and error (sort of) Each child is different. I tell this to all my friends who seek advise. I am the first out of my friends to have children, what works for one will not work for the other. My DD since the age of 13 months did not need a stroller, at the age of 3.5 she was running the block with me, of course I had to go slower but I made her finish what she started. She is 6 now and on Saturdays she plays 1 soccer and 2 softball games, and still can do more! My DS3 not so much he has lots of energy when he wants to. Our DD like I said in a past post he walked the entire time we were there except when we were waiting. I hope we can leave the stroller at the resort instead of needing it for DS3, I plan on doing things at the kids pace not mine. But I will have the stroller if needed. I have to force him outside sometimes, other days you can get him inside... He's just on his own time I guess.
But I would never tell someone that they shouldn't do this or that, when it's regarding their kids, it's not my place, unless I see someone hurting a child.
Now if someone asked me if I were to use a stroller at the age 8 no i wouldn't, if they are too tired we will head back to the resort, I plan on going at the kids pace, if DS is too tired but DD isn't the resort has a pool or either myself or DH can stay at the park with DD.
Ccann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:00 PM   #101
proud_canadian
DIS Veteran

On our first trip, I had two dds, aged 3 and just turned 6. I was only going to rent a stroller for my three year old, but got scared after reading some similar threads. So we rented a double for our two kids. My three year old does have diagnosed gross motor delays, and she definitely needed it, but my 6 year old barely rode! We would have been fine without.

Last year we ad my 4 year old and a just turned 7 year old, in hot and humid September. The 7 year old knew she wouldn't be able to ride in a stroller and never even asked. We did parks 5 out of 7 days and did days of rope drop until about 4 pm each day and then had the kids in bed by their normal bedtime of 7 pm.

This year we didn't have a Disney trip, but did ave season passes to our local park. My now 5 year old,who does have a legitimate diagnosed delay and endurance issues s embarrassed to ride in a stroller, but still can't walk long distances. We bring a wagon and she walks when we needs it. We've done a few shorter visits of just a couple of hours and we s ok with that.

I will be honest and I thought this thread was a joke! My oldest dd is now eight and I couldn't imagine putting her in a stroller, nor wold she sit in one. I'm sure your child would be fine without! Plus it's good for them to be active. If you are worried just plan breaks, shows, longer meals and play it by ear.

Have fun!
proud_canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:00 PM   #102
MSSANDRA
DIS Veteran

See, I see where she is coming from. Parenting styles aside, I just can not see most 8 year old wiling to sit in a stroller. My older DS does have some health issues that really reduce his stamina and the year he was eight, he was having some breathing issue while we were at WDW. I offered him a stroller at Epcot one night. He looked at me like I had two heads!!! I was watching a group of boys ages 5 to about 9 at church tonight and they were riding their bikes and scooters and jumping ramps etc. NONE of them would be caught dead in a stroller, and yep....most of them have been to WDW. While I a very much a "whatever works" mom....I am surprised these kids are ok with this.
MSSANDRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:57 AM   #103
julieanddanny
Mouseketeer

I have a couple of average, not athletic, big kids - 8 and 7 on our last trip. They are so capapble of more than you think! The 7 yr last used a stroller at 5yrs (almost 6) and then and 7 yr old snuck in a ride or two. As long as we didn't have it and it wasn't an option there was no complaining. We also have a 2yo so we do pace our day so we can all handle it. That is certainly key.

Stroller recomendation for big kids: First years Jet or Ignite. They have a 50lb weight limit and my tall 5yr actually fit comfortably. Any bigger than that I personally wouldn't consider a stroller and just adjust they way you visit the parks.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:13 AM   #104
elaine amj
DIS Veteran

I only read through the first few pages of the thread.

One trip we met up with another family with younger kids and they had a double stroller. My kids were 9 and 8 and happily sat in the double stroller "for fun" every once in a while. They just thought it was fun getting pushed around (heck they still like getting pushed around in a shopping cart even though I absolutely refuse to do so. If they want to sit in a shopping cart, they have to push each other - and they do!).

It was one of those regular double strollers from one of the Orlando rental companies. Yes my leggy 9 yr old DD was overlong for it, but she made herself fit and enjoyed the break off her feet! It didn't seem to be a problem and the stroller still felt sturdy and pushed easily.

Sure my kids didn't "need" it but it was rather fun for them LOL!
Old 10-01-2012, 10:01 AM   #105
luvmy2babies
DIS Veteran

I can promise without the slightest bit of doubt or hesitation that my 9 year-old dd would have taken the opportunity had I presented it.

It’s not so much the first couple of days. It’s right around days 3 through 5 and beyond if there are that many. Being the only adult I could work our schedule so that she would not get worn out. Still there were a few times she muttered, “I wish I was little like (ds’ name) again, so I could get in a stroller.”

OP, if you’re still around and end up not being able to find anything, a park double stroller may work for giving them a break. They can take turns sitting “criss-cross applesauce” style. Or just try mixing short days in the schedule if you can. We had some days when we toured from open to about 3 and then did pool time, one day open to 1:00, another day 10am to 5pm, another 4pm to close. Most days my 9 year-old still had plenty of energy left when we were done touring. One exception was our first AK day. Tropical Storm Debby had left us that morning and the sun came out after 4 days of rain. The heat knocked us all for a loop and we bolted for the resort at 1:00 (we’d planned to stay until 3). At the bus stop, dd was sitting on the ground leaning on my leg and ds was nodding off. We spent a refreshing afternoon at the pool, had dinner in our room, got to bed early and actually did 10 hours at DHS the next day in the same heat that knocked us out midday day the prior day.

The only time she was truly tired was day 9, our last full day and actually had she listened to me we could have avoided her one and only meltdown. We had a dinner ADR at Chef Mickey’s and had spent the morning at AK. We went back to the resort and instead of resting like I told her to, both she and ds played around in the room. I did everything short of strapping them down to get them to rest. Eventually it was time to go. We took the bus to MK and ds (of course) fell asleep. I figured he’d have about an hour and some change to nap if we took our time getting to CR. That had been enough for him the entire trip even though he takes 2 hour naps at home.

When we got to MK, of course ASMo is like the furthest stop from MK, which makes it the closest to the CR. So, just like on our first trip, I decided instead of walking all the way down to MK and up that big hill to the monorail, it made more sense just to walk over to the CR. Just as we got on the property, dd declared she could not walk another step and the tears started. I told her I would let her rest once we got closer. She trudged on whining until I found a place. When we got down to 5 minutes before our ADR time, I told her we had to move on. As soon as she saw Chef Mickey’s she was like a new child. Some child screamed “MICKEY!” and ds popped up. Dd apologized for how she had acted and we had a great dinner. We did take the monorail back to MK, but the walk from the monorail is downhill.

June 2012: Going with the flow with Tropical Storm Debby TR (1st 5 days): http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2953583
June 2013: Our Disney World Road Trip TR: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3137685
May 2014: Best trip yet. Working on the TR
luvmy2babies is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: