Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2012, 08:44 PM   #211
twinboysmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannathy View Post
If my child is doing something silly or way outside the norm I would expect someone to laugh.

There is a big difference in laughing because something looks funny and laughing at the person.
When you do something outside the norm you have to expect someone to notice. Like the people with blue hair or a ton of tattoos, it is out of the norm and people are going to look and react.
So by your logic an 8 year old with a severe neuromuscular disability sitting in a stroller deserves to be laughed at? As an adult you set an example to your children and making fun of others is a poor example to set. It's ok for others to be different and as long as they aren't harming anybody else, who cares. That person with blue hair and tattoos is still a person and teaching your kids to make fun of them because they look "outside the norm" is just wrong on so many levels.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:54 PM   #212
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboysmom View Post
So by your logic an 8 year old with a severe neuromuscular disability sitting in a stroller deserves to be laughed at? As an adult you set an example to your children and making fun of others is a poor example to set. It's ok for others to be different and as long as they aren't harming anybody else, who cares. That person with blue hair and tattoos is still a person and teaching your kids to make fun of them because they look "outside the norm" is just wrong on so many levels.
Just a question, wouldn't an 8 yr old child with a severe neuromuscular disability already have something for assistance rather than a small child's stroller? Like a child's wheelchair or adaptive stroller that fit them and not one where their knees were right under their chin? And wouldn't most of those be single strollers instead of doubles?

Just asking.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-05-2012, 08:58 PM   #213
canopynut66
DIS Veteran

then rent the strollers so all are happy. we had to do this for my cousins child who was 7 and it worked fine she even took short naps in it while we sit and took a rest in the shade with our dole whips
canopynut66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:09 PM   #214
twinboysmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
Just a question, wouldn't an 8 yr old child with a severe neuromuscular disability already have something for assistance rather than a small child's stroller? Like a child's wheelchair or adaptive stroller that fit them and not one where their knees were right under their chin? And wouldn't most of those be single strollers instead of doubles?

Just asking.
Maybe, maybe no. And I use this example based on a set of 7 year old twin boys who are at the same therapy clinic that my boys attend. They manage ok day by day (they use a rolling walker type thing at school) but when they went to WDW this July I helped their Mom find stroller rentals for them. They wouldn't have made it other wise and they are very large boys (bigger than an average 7 year old). She rented a regular citi mini for each of them and reported it was ok for them. I really hope nobody laughed at these boys. They're really good kids and no, you can't tell by looking at them that they have an issue.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:54 PM   #215
badblackpug
If you knew her you would be shocked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rylee View Post
The only line I have drawn around me starts right where my rights begin... don't cross it.

As for someone choosing to allow an older child to ride in a stroller while on vacation... it doesn't cross that line, it doesn't infringe on my rights.

Your kid - your family - your vacation - your $$$ = your decision. None of my business.

It's not likely that I'll even notice, but if I do, I won't give a second thought as to your child being disabled, lazy, spoiled, tired, scared or clowning around. I'm not worried about your family dynamics or long terms effects. I don't expect you to raise your daughter like Laura Ingalls, and I truly have no idea if the current candidates rode in a stroller past infancy. So if at age 35, your child decides to run for president, I'll judge his competency based on his adult actions and decisions.

I won't insist there is only one right way of doing things, or that what's right for me and mine, is what's right for you and yours.
I meant your personal line in the sand. When do you, as a parent, decide that your child is old enough to walk. As I said before, I don't care what other people do. Other people can push whomever they want in a stroller.

My question was when do each of you decide when your child is too old for a stroller? If it isn't an age criteria is it a size criteria or a parental ability thing.

When is your kid too big for a stroller?
Old 10-05-2012, 10:06 PM   #216
Hannathy
When I stop laughing I will answer you

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboysmom View Post
I will say it again because you don't seem to be getting it. I never said make fun of anyone! you keep saying that. I said laugh, not laugh at. And I never said make fun of. But I'm sorry if something is humorous I'm going to laugh and seeing anyone crammed into something way to small for them is humorous.
And people who do something to them selves way outside societal norms are doing it to draw attention and they will get a reaction.

And if you have a special needs child then do them a favor and get them the appropriate equipment they need, don't cram them into a baby stroller that makes them look like a contortionist and will draw attention to them. If they need to be pushed thru the park then once they are over a certain age the age appropriate thing is to get a wheelchair or a stroller that is made for older, bigger youths. Many elderly women are very small in stature and weigh very little, should we be pushing them in strollers? no that wouldn't be age appropriate and would be demeaning and to me children reach a certain age that that should be thought of for them also.

Last edited by Hannathy; 10-05-2012 at 10:16 PM.
Hannathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:11 PM   #217
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

Aren't most of those things a combination of all offer above as well as the child's personality. No matter which line one is discussing. There are so many we parents deal with.

My oldest probably sat occasionally in the big double when we had it for the two younger. Otoh my middle had to be put into a wc when he busted his ankle at 5, because he never would have been willing to look like a baby. And i disnt mind humoring him. My youngest never had the benefit of a stroller hanging about to lounge in when taking the long walk around the ws. So he might have hopped in or not given the chance.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:21 PM   #218
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

Obviously hannathy hasn't had the pleasure of buying wc's and strollers for children in need of assistance. They are wickedly expensive and if not absolutely necessary for everyday use I can imagine using a basic large stroller. Many people only need assistance when endurance is necessary. Spend $100 for the week or spend $1000.

I also can't imagine laughing at the expense of others because they don't fit the societal norms you feel are most important. Most of us balk against one or two routinely. Who the heck wants to be normal 24/7.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:43 PM   #219
Hannathy

You can rent. Just like they rent for elderly people who need assistance, they don't cram them into baby strollers.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:47 PM   #220
Missy13d69
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I will say it again because you don't seem to be getting it. I never said make fun of anyone! you keep saying that. I said laugh, not laugh at. And I never said make fun of. But I'm sorry if something is humorous I'm going to laugh and seeing anyone crammed into something way to small for them is humorous.
And people who do something to them selves way outside societal norms are doing it to draw attention and they will get a reaction.

And if you have a special needs child then do them a favor and get them the appropriate equipment they need, don't cram them into a baby stroller that makes them look like a contortionist and will draw attention to them. If they need to be pushed thru the park then once they are over a certain age the age appropriate thing is to get a wheelchair or a stroller that is made for older, bigger youths. Many elderly women are very small in stature and weigh very little, should we be pushing them in strollers? no that wouldn't be age appropriate and would be demeaning and to me children reach a certain age that that should be thought of for them also.
You can mince words all you want, but laughing at the "humorous" sight of a child "crammed into a stroller", is laughing AT the child. You might not point and make fun, but you are laughing at them, and if they see you reacting that way they will feel bad about themselves. You can try to justify it all you want, but your stripes are showing.

Missy13d69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:03 PM   #221
Hannathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy13d69 View Post
You can mince words all you want, but laughing at the "humorous" sight of a child "crammed into a stroller", is laughing AT the child. You might not point and make fun, but you are laughing at them, and if they see you reacting that way they will feel bad about themselves. You can try to justify it all you want, but your stripes are showing.
And you can try and pretend all you want but if you walk thru a crowd with a child very obviously crammed into a baby stroller people are going to laugh. And if you don't think they are then explain the success of all the shows that are on TV showing things like this for a laugh, and a lot of comedy is based on exaggeration. Like the clown driving the itty bitty car. Ertle (sp) wearing the extremely short pants.

So if you don't want people laughing don't give them anything to laugh at, get the proper equipment so the child doesn't stand out. Don't put the child in the embarrassing position of trying to fit where they don't.

Another thing the majority of people asking these questions don't have special needs children, it is only on the Dis that every conversation has to get back to special needs or hidden disabilities.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:04 PM   #222
twinboysmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy13d69 View Post
:thumbsup This!

I agree it would be better for some children to get a special needs stroller. But as I said previously, there are not a lot of them for rent and they are double in price. I can understand why someone might decide to rent a regular stroller if they just push their child for short intervals, say from fantasy land to tomorrow land.

But folks can phrase it however they want. Laughing at or just "laughing" because a child is in a stroller is just mean regardless if they are special needs or because their parents are being silly because they think their normal functioning 8 year old can't walk all day.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:25 AM   #223
Rylee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by badblackpug View Post
I meant your personal line in the sand. When do you, as a parent, decide that your child is old enough to walk.

My question was when do each of you decide when your child is too old for a stroller?

If it isn't an age criteria is it a size criteria or a parental ability thing.

When is your kid too big for a stroller?

Okay, as a parent, and concerning my 5 children, decisions were made based on the individual child and the circumstances of the situation at the time.

In general, all of my children stopped riding in a stroller around 3 years of age.

This was based on the child's desire to walk. I did NOT have a set age or size limit for riding in a stroller. (All of my children were tiny for their age.)

On a trip to WDW when our youngest was 4, we did not bring a stroller because he hadn't used one at home in a very long time. Our first day in the parks was at MK. As soon as we started down Main St., he began clinging to his father and wanted to be held. He wasn't tired, or being a brat, or being lazy, he was scared. I don't know if he was just overwhelmed by the size of the crowd or a combination of the crowd and the sensory stimulation, but he was scared. DH carried him for awhile, I offer, as did the older kids, and we all tried to reassure him, but all he did was cling to Daddy. We decided to rent a stroller, and it was the best decision for him at the time. He felt safe tucked into the stroller. (He rode in the stroller with his hood pulled over his eyes everyday and we have our photopass pictures to prove it. )

The following year, he didn't have any issues so no need for a stroller.

I think most parents hope their child/ren will hit all the milestones within normal range and exhibit age appropriate behavior. However, in the large scheme of things, some things really don't have any bearing on the future outcome of anything meaningful. What age, weight and height a child was when they stopped riding in a stroller is one of them.

&

Rylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:48 AM   #224
Rylee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Another thing the majority of people asking these questions don't have special needs children, it is only on the Dis that every conversation has to get back to special needs or hidden disabilities.
That's because some poster always comes along and takes a stance on wheelchairs, ECV scooters, strollers, etc., and then in an attempt to sound reasonable, compassionate or politically correct, adds... With the exception of special needs, those with disabilities, someone who really needs it, etc.

So, those that know, are trying to educate those that don't...

One simply can not tell, just by looking at someone, the status of their health, what medical conditions their dealing with, or if they have a disability.

Since no one can tell just by looking, statements made about the people that don't really need wheelchairs, ECV, etc.,, just sound judgemental and ignorant.

I realize and agree with you that the OP in this thread didn't indicate that her daughter had a medical need, but along comes a parent or family member of someone that does have a medical need, is hurt by some of what has be written here, and has one of their fears confirmed... my child/loved one will be looked down on, teased or made fun of because they are different.

Now this poster, in an attempt to not have more pain, unnecessary pain inflicted on their child, tries to explain about hidden disabilities, which usually brings on the response...

"I'm not referring to those with disabilities, I have no problem with someone who has special needs, I'm talking about those that don't have any disabilities!"

&

Rylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 03:24 AM   #225
smidgy
dimples

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emteach View Post
Sooo after reading about 6 pages I have since given up lol. I am sure that the OP has as well
On our trip in August we brought a stroller for my 6.5 (44 inch, 41 lb.) brother. We used the First Years Jet stroller which can go to 50 lbs but also has a higher back.
For those who judge, haste. You dont know the situation. For example my brother has some special needs (although not visable) and cannot handle the crowds. His stamina has absolutely nothing to do with his need for a stroller(he too is very active swimming and dancing competitively 6 hours a week)- but this was his safe space while on our trip. Thankfully we did not get any comments (I think in part because he looks younger than he is, could easily pass for 4) while he was in the stroller - I personally think the vast majority of people on their own family vacations could care less. The only comment and a couple of stares was when we were using the GAC card for him but really WHO CARES! I dont know them, they dont know me so.... For us personally the stroller worked for us and if you think this would make your kiddos have a better time GO FOR IT. I think that having a single stroller and trading off would work fine and I am sure both of your kids will want to be on rides most of the time I know this is a discussion board and people have the right to their own opinions... that is the point of discussions but I have seen too many times it get snarky and sometimes mean. I would encourage the bullies on the board (not to say I have seen any in this thread) to take a second and think before they speak. You dont know the OP, their circumstance or anything about them so who are you to judge. Phew... there lol.
I think most of the posters here have already agreed that children with special needs (as your brother) would be fine with a stroller for special needs kids..

what most are questioning is the use of strollers (which were invented for preschoolers)being used by elementary aged children , (okay, kindergarteners being the "grey area"). able bodied, children with no special needs.

if every elementary aged child were in a stroller, there would be no room to walk!( yes, it's hot. yes, you're tired. we all are. take it easy. take a break. dad is probably more tired and in worse shape than the 8 year old!)

(and, again, I wouldn't laugh at the older child in the stroller, he/she might have special needs..actually I wouldn't laugh at a child at all.)

Last edited by smidgy; 10-06-2012 at 03:42 AM.
smidgy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: