Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2012, 12:23 PM   #196
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivMattmom View Post
.... Lets remember its the "Happiest Place on Earth people!
The Happiest Place on Earth is Disneyland, not Disney World.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:38 PM   #197
disneyfan2kids
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by badblackpug View Post
Out of curiosity, where is everyone's line in the sand on stroller use for healthy kids? (not kids who are sick, injured, or have a disability)

I will say my line in the sand is 4 years old. After 4 I think that children are capable of walking. I see a lot of people on here who think that 8 isn't too old, which, personally I find ridiculous. So where is the cut off? 9? 10? Older? Is there a cut off? ...and why is that your cut off?

Is it an age, or when the child no longer physically fits in the stroller?

Or is it when the parent is physically unable to push the stroller?
For me it was 5yo (kindergarten). The summer before Kindergarten (At 5yo) I still brought the stroller (albeit I thought he was a too old for it...but brought it "in case").... he used it once for about 2 minutes...and looked around and hopped out and told me he didn't want it anymore (I think he was embarrased...not sure?). He MADE us leave it in the room after that... refused to get in it.

If he's tired now (at 7)... we rest. Not much more to it.

disneyfan2kids is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-05-2012, 01:13 PM   #198
Hannathy
When I stop laughing I will answer you

Quote:
Out of curiosity, where is everyone's line in the sand on stroller use for healthy kids? (not kids who are sick, injured, or have a disability)

I will say my line in the sand is 4 years old. After 4 I think that children are capable of walking. I see a lot of people on here who think that 8 isn't too old, which, personally I find ridiculous. So where is the cut off? 9? 10? Older? Is there a cut off? ...and why is that your cut off?

I agree with you we never used one past 4. and the yr my DD was 4 we really didn't need it, I don't think she was in it most of the time.

So I would say kids 5 and up don't need one.
Hannathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:41 PM   #199
Missy13d69
DIS Veteran

Quote:

For my kids, 4 will be the cut off point. My littles will be almost 3 and just turned 4 when we go to Disney. We're renting a double stroller but I'm not really sure how much the kids will be in it. I expect they will be in it about 50% of the time, but once we get there, they might decide that walking and checking things out is more to their liking.

Missy13d69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:48 PM   #200
Rylee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
The only line I have drawn around me starts right where my rights begin... don't cross it.

As for someone choosing to allow an older child to ride in a stroller while on vacation... it doesn't cross that line, it doesn't infringe on my rights.

Your kid - your family - your vacation - your $$$ = your decision. None of my business.

It's not likely that I'll even notice, but if I do, I won't give a second thought as to your child being disabled, lazy, spoiled, tired, scared or clowning around. I'm not worried about your family dynamics or long terms effects. I don't expect you to raise your daughter like Laura Ingalls, and I truly have no idea if the current candidates rode in a stroller past infancy. So if at age 35, your child decides to run for president, I'll judge his competency based on his adult actions and decisions.

I won't insist there is only one right way of doing things, or that what's right for me and mine, is what's right for you and yours.

&

Rylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:49 PM   #201
Happiest mommy
DIS Veteran

On our last trip we rented a double City Mini from Magic Strollers for DD'S it worked out great next year when we go we will again rent a double, due to my older DD7 having low muscle tone on her legs she tires quickly and her legs start to hurt, normally we don't have her in a stroller but we don't walk that much either but for Disney we will if she wants to sit its there and if not I have another side on the stroller to store stuff, you know your child do what you feel is best and have a great time

Cookie (RIP 5/10/10) you gave us 15 years of pure Love and Loyalty we miss you so...

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went" - Will Rogers

Visits: 2007, 2008, 2010 and planning 2014
Happiest mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:51 PM   #202
mamabean73
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayan
Agreed. I told my son when he was younger and begging to go to Disney that he would be walking and if he needed a break he needed to speak up otherwise we'd keep on going. We took plenty of breaks, he walked and there was no whining. Trust me, if I see your 8 year old snowflake in a stroller not only will I laugh and snicker but so will my son.
Quote:
Origianlly Posted by Nayan
Exactly my point. A healthy 8 year old is very capable of walking around the parks fine. Using a stroller for a disabled child I have no issue with but using one for a healthy one who "might" whine and complain? Really?

This just hurts my heart. My daughter will be almost 6 when we take to WDW for the first time in a few months. We'll take the stroller and if she needs it, we'll use it. You wouldn't be able to tell by looking at her that she has a neuromuscular disorder and some sensory issues. She's not a complainer at all and she has learned that she just can't keep up and that's who she is, so it wouldn't bother her to have to use a stroller when she got tired. It would upset her if someone said something hateful or laughed at her when she didn't understand why...and really there is no understanding why someone would do that to a child.

I guess what bothers me the most about the above statements is that you say you have no problem for a disabled/special needs child to use a stroller...yet the first statement you and your son would laugh and snicker at seeing a bigger child in a stroller.
So it really doesn't matter who you laugh at...a normal child or a special needs child? Because if you can't tell by looking at a child that their brain doesn't allow their muscles to work normally...then how do you decide who to laugh at and who not.
mamabean73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:23 PM   #203
Rylee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabean73 View Post
This just hurts my heart. My daughter will be almost 6 when we take to WDW for the first time in a few months. We'll take the stroller and if she needs it, we'll use it. You wouldn't be able to tell by looking at her that she has a neuromuscular disorder and some sensory issues. She's not a complainer at all and she has learned that she just can't keep up and that's who she is, so it wouldn't bother her to have to use a stroller when she got tired. It would upset her if someone said something hateful or laughed at her when she didn't understand why...and really there is no understanding why someone would do that to a child.

I guess what bothers me the most about the above statements is that you say you have no problem for a disabled/special needs child to use a stroller...yet the first statement you and your son would laugh and snicker at seeing a bigger child in a stroller.
So it really doesn't matter who you laugh at...a normal child or a special needs child? Because if you can't tell by looking at a child that their brain doesn't allow their muscles to work normally...then how do you decide who to laugh at and who not.
Aww, your post breaks my heart. Don't worry about what others say/think, just do what is right for your child. Honestly, I don't think you will encounter any of this behavior at WDW, but on the slim chance that you do, that's their problem. Really, either they're ignorant, lack insight and compassion or are so focused on what others are doing, they can't be enjoying their own family.

You can't tell by looking at our son what his medical problems are, how many surgeries he had or how many times he's been hospitalized, either. I'm glad about that... less people judging and commenting. His problems won't be helped by riding in a stroller or wheelchair, so that's not an issue for us.

Have a magical trip!

&

Rylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:00 PM   #204
Nayan
DIS Veteran

Location: About an hour east of WDW. 192 all the way "home". :)

Quote:

Only on the DISboards will you see posts about healthy 8 year olds in strollers, 6-7 year olds in diapers so they don't have to take potty breaks, parents themselves in Depends, etc. It is a vacation, not a marathon and yes I have laughed at older kids in strollers. Why? Because they didn't fit and they looked so miserable. We're talking big kids (my size and I'm a shorty) in tiny strollers being pushed by commando parents. It's hilarious! Now on the flip side, if your kid has issues, I am sure that you would make sure they are comfortable for the long haul. However, there is no reason why a healthy 8 year old needs a stroller. None.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:59 PM   #205
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayan View Post
Only on the DISboards will you see posts about healthy 8 year olds in strollers, 6-7 year olds in diapers so they don't have to take potty breaks, parents themselves in Depends, etc. It is a vacation, not a marathon and yes I have laughed at older kids in strollers. Why? Because they didn't fit and they looked so miserable. We're talking big kids (my size and I'm a shorty) in tiny strollers being pushed by commando parents. It's hilarious! Now on the flip side, if your kid has issues, I am sure that you would make sure they are comfortable for the long haul. However, there is no reason why a healthy 8 year old needs a stroller. None.
I think it is pretty sad that anyone would laugh at a child in a stroller. You have no way of knowing if that child had a disability or not.

Where would my line in the sand be? I don't know, because I'm sure I ended up crossing it. One trip with to WDW we had a double stroller in Epcot for my younger niece, who I think as 5 at the time. Her older sister hopped in for a while. What would have been obvious to most passers by was that they were the same size. What would not have been obvious was that her older sister was 10 at the time. And had been to the Dr just before the trip.

So yeah, laughing in a malicious way at any child in a stroller is sinking pretty low for an adult, imho. You don't know what is going on in that family, and quite frankly, it is none of your business. Only on the Disboards would anyone think it was.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:43 PM   #206
jujube
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I don't even notice strollers unless one hits me in the ankle.
Had to comment on the diapered 6-7 year olds and parents in Depends just to avoid potty breaks-yuck! What happens when the kids or adults soil their diapers? Do they just leave the urine and/or mess? That might give them a rash which would make the trip miserable not to mention it's just gross.

Before anyone pounces, I 100% understand diapering/Depends for those who need it. Likely, they'd prefer not having to wear them. They probably don't do it just to avoid the potty.
jujube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:35 PM   #207
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom

I think it is pretty sad that anyone would laugh at a child in a stroller. You have no way of knowing if that child had a disability or not.

Where would my line in the sand be? I don't know, because I'm sure I ended up crossing it. One trip with to WDW we had a double stroller in Epcot for my younger niece, who I think as 5 at the time. Her older sister hopped in for a while. What would have been obvious to most passers by was that they were the same size. What would not have been obvious was that her older sister was 10 at the time. And had been to the Dr just before the trip.

So yeah, laughing in a malicious way at any child in a stroller is sinking pretty low for an adult, imho. You don't know what is going on in that family, and quite frankly, it is none of your business. Only on the Disboards would anyone think it was.
Nicely said. Why spend a vacation snarling at what others do? We aren't talking about something that affects others like screaming toddlers.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:00 PM   #208
twinboysmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
What an example you are setting for your children. An adult laughing at a child is shameful. As others have said, there is no way you know what the circumstances are regarding that child. And just so you know, special needs strollers are very expensive and they are pricey to rent and from my understanding, the offsite company that rents them doesn't have a huge amount. Besides, maybe the child just needs a ride now and then. I think most agree at a healthy 8 year old doesn't need a stroller. But who are you to laugh and make fun of a child. And honestly, why would you care? Would you like some other adult to laugh and make fun of your child because they think something he or she is doing is silly?
Old 10-05-2012, 07:15 PM   #209
TinkNH
just not quite ready to let go of summer and flip flops
I can craft and type

Quote:

And your post breaks my heart It truly bothers me that people come here looking for support, answers to questions and the general camaraderie that SHOULD be at a place like the DIS...and instead new people find threads like THIS. It is appalling to me that adults, with children of their own, can be so mean to each other.

Quote:
And people say there are no judgmental posts in this thread. What a nice example to set for children.
My very healthy and active 10 yr old daughter plopped her behind in the stroller we rented for her 4 yo twin siblings on day 7 of our trip for a brief break...we were hot, and tired and I frankly did not care that she wanted to sit for a bit...neither did her dad who was pushing. I can also guarantee that had someone dared to laugh at my kid, momma and poppa bear would have made an appearance. There is NEVER any reason to laugh AT a child. EVER.

Carolyn DH DD (10) DS (4)DD (4)
4/1984 offsite
10/1995 Honeymoon Grand Floridian
10/2005 Anniversary Weekend at Swan
9/2006 Family trip to Polynesian for 3
9/2012 Family trip to Polynesian for 5!

TinkNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:16 PM   #210
Hannathy
When I stop laughing I will answer you

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboysmom View Post
. Would you like some other adult to laugh and make fun of your child because they think something he or she is doing is silly?
If my child is doing something silly or way outside the norm I would expect someone to laugh.

There is a big difference in laughing because something looks funny and laughing at the person.
When you do something outside the norm you have to expect someone to notice. Like the people with blue hair or a ton of tattoos, it is out of the norm and people are going to look and react.
Hannathy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: