Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2012, 02:39 PM   #151
okeydokey
Frosty the Snowman scared me as a child
It will always be beautiful no matter what it looks like naked

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheilanne View Post
I agree. We are going in November and I have the same concerns about my DGD. She just turned 6 and has a 4 m/o little sister. She is very active and in wonderful shape but I'm concerned about dragging a 48 pound child 5-8 miles each day over a seven day period. We are staying at BLT but we will be on the go from 7 until probably around 10 each night. I don't want her to ride all day in a stroller but be able to rest when she needs to. We took a stroller when she was four and very proud we had it!!!! I saw too many kids crying because they were tired and parents so intent on their schedule they obviously forgot what their child was physically capable of doing. My plan is to use the stroller for the baby and when older DGD gets tired baby can be put into the Ergo so sister can rest if needed. Everyone's kids are different but I think this will work for our family.
My Mother thought the same thing about my then 4 year old son. He did just fine, just as I expected he would. She agreed once she saw that it did work out that he did not did need a stroller after all. It is often about what we expect from our children. Mine rose to my expectations just as I knew he would. It was a great trip.
okeydokey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:49 PM   #152
Missy13d69
DIS Veteran

People need to just stick to answering the question if they have any insight, and moving on to another thread if all you are going to do is belittle and harshly judge the decisions someone else is making for their family. Honestly, I do not think a healthy 8 year old should be put in a stroller. I'm of the "suck it up cupcake" school of thought, but that's how I handle MY children. I would never dream of imposing my parenting onto anyone else, no more than I would want someone to do it to me. As the PP said, you can't ascertain a persons parenting or how their kids are going to turn out by one thing you consider to be "bad" parenting. You are no better. You better believe there is someone judging you in the same way. We're all making mistakes according to somebody else. We're all ruining our kids according to somebody else. So, you screw up yours your way, I'll screw up mine my way, and let's all be happy letting each other do it in peace and harmony.

Missy13d69 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-02-2012, 03:04 PM   #153
Nayan
DIS Veteran

Location: About an hour east of WDW. 192 all the way "home". :)

When you post something on an open forum expect all kinds of responses. Some will be full of unicorns and rainbows and some won't.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:14 PM   #154
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy13d69 View Post
We're all making mistakes according to somebody else. We're all ruining our kids according to somebody else. So, you screw up yours your way, I'll screw up mine my way, and let's all be happy letting each other do it in peace and harmony.
I agree with you 100%. This is one of those issues where people have very strong opinions, and are not typically swayed from them.

I agree too that you get all sorts of answers to asking questions on a public forum. But the OP did not ask for opinions on getting a stroller or not, she was looking for a recommendation for a stroller type. I don't really think telling her the kids should walk is helpful in any way.

Me, I believe you do what you want with your kids. My nose isn't so long that it is up in your business. I'm too focused on my family and what we are doing to care if you have a 8yr old in a stroller.
maxiesmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:27 PM   #155
Hannathy
When I stop laughing I will answer you

When it doesn't affect me go right ahead and parent any way you want but when it affects me don't expect me to not say anything, There are way too many strollers in Disney as it is and if you start putting all the middle elementary kids in them it will be complete grid lock. So yes when I can't move cause of the strollers or get on a bus, or a monorail, or get hit with them everywhere then yes I do have a right to compliant.

I agree with the poster about the picture. If it is fine then put the picture of the 8 yr old in the stroller front and center on their star of the month poster or their what I did on vacation poster and have them show their friends at school.
Hannathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:38 PM   #156
maxiesmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannathy View Post
When it doesn't affect me go right ahead and parent any way you want but when it affects me don't expect me to not say anything, There are way too many strollers in Disney as it is and if you start putting all the middle elementary kids in them it will be complete grid lock. So yes when I can't move cause of the strollers or get on a bus, or a monorail, or get hit with them everywhere then yes I do have a right to compliant.

I've been to WDW over some of the most busy times of the year, and I have never ever not been able to move because of strollers. The parks are full yes, but not only because of stroller usage.

You are entitled to your opinion that the parks are too full because of them. However your opinion is not helpful to the OP, so I'm not sure what good comes out of sharing it. Other than to vent. And then why not start your own post on how there are too many strollers at WDW? Why vent all over someone else's post? What purpose does it serve?

If the OP had asked for opinions on stroller usage, then it would all be good. But they didn't.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:51 PM   #157
Hannathy

It is a discussion board. No question gets answered with 1 post and is closed.

90% of the things could be answered by the 1rst poster or with a yes or no answer but then it wouldn't be a DISCUSSION board.

If you don't want to read the discussion then don't open it.

And if you had read my response I said it was crowded now BUT if we start putting all the 3rd and 4th graders in strollers we wouldn't be able to move.

And yes it was much nicer when only toddlers were in strollers, there is no getting around that. Less strollers makes less congestion.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:52 PM   #158
surfgirl
DIS Veteran

a mildly amusing side note:

(well at least I find it amusing).

I see more and more threads about how younger kids are getting cell phones - and yes, even 8yo. Then we see the threads where people defend 8yo's riding in strollers. I just look at it like you can't have it both ways... we give responsibility (ie. cell phones) to kids younger and younger, but yet we still treat them like babies (strollers).

As to the poster with a DGD who is 6yo going from 7am-10pm daily who wants a stroller for a tired parent/GP. Probably too much. Stop... take a break... get them to bed so they can enjoy the next day.

I think people fall into 2 categories:
1) we are going to do it all and go all day and need a way to deal with tired kids (ie. NEED a stroller).

2) we stop and rest and leave the parks when adults AND kids are tired. Kids are too old for strollers and maybe being tired is your bodies' way to say, 'enough'.

I"m sure you can guess what category I fall into.
surfgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:58 PM   #159
maxiesmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannathy View Post
It is a discussion board. No question gets answered with 1 post and is closed.

90% of the things could be answered by the 1rst poster or with a yes or no answer but then it wouldn't be a DISCUSSION board.

If you don't want to read the discussion then don't open it.

Some of the "discussion" isn't sounding a whole lot like "discussion". It sounds like badgering.

One could also say that if a person has nothing constructive to add to a "discussion" they shouldn't add anything.

I'm honestly not sure why this subject always gets so heated. But the whole attitude of "I know what is best for my children, and yours too!" bothers me. Would I use a stroller for an average 8yr old? Probably not. But I will defend others and their right to make that choice for their own family without being badgered and made to feel as if they are an inferior parent for using one.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:10 PM   #160
disneyfan2kids
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmrsfraz View Post
... My DDs are 8yr (59 lbs and 52" tall) and 5yr (40lbs and 42" tall) I am considering renting from Kingdom Strollers ...!

disneyfan2kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:25 PM   #161
Maggie'sMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfgirl View Post
a mildly amusing side note:

(well at least I find it amusing).

I see more and more threads about how younger kids are getting cell phones - and yes, even 8yo. Then we see the threads where people defend 8yo's riding in strollers. I just look at it like you can't have it both ways... we give responsibility (ie. cell phones) to kids younger and younger, but yet we still treat them like babies (strollers).
AHA! I've got it! The 8 year olds need to ride in strollers so they can text their friends on their cellphones without running the risk of walking into a lightpole or another person. So really having the 8 year old in a stroller is for their safety and the safety of others.
Maggie'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:11 PM   #162
Nayan
DIS Veteran

Location: About an hour east of WDW. 192 all the way "home". :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie'sMom View Post
AHA! I've got it! The 8 year olds need to ride in strollers so they can text their friends on their cellphones without running the risk of walking into a lightpole or another person. So really having the 8 year old in a stroller is for their safety and the safety of others.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:51 PM   #163
DisneyRegulars
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by a11ie View Post
I would gladly push my 15 year old in a stroller before I would let them think its ok to LAUGH at another child.
Amen! Best comment so far in this giant messy mean old thread.

Trip report from our first DVC trip: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2864556
Plus our Anniversary Vacation: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2954701
Trip report with a potty training toddler: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2987412
I survived a trip with MIL: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3040750
A Magic Kingdom Ultimate Tour Adventure http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...92&postcount=1
First trip with Magic Bands http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3170056
Post Holiday Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3201404
Non-Fancy Fanatics at VGF http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3268362
Sept '03 (All Star Sports, DH's first trip) || March '04 (Travelodge) || March '05 (Star Island) || XMAS '06 (All Star Vacation Home) || March '07 (POP, Deluxe Dining Plan) || March '09 (POP) || June '09 Disney Land || April '11 (All Star Vacation Home, DS's first trip-14m) || January '12 (OKW, first DVC trip) || July '12 (Boardwalk, Anniversary Trip) || Sept '12 (AKV) || Jan '13 (AKV) || July '13 (SSR, Anniversary Trip) || September '13 (SSR) || January '14 (Boardwalk, AKV) || May '14 (VGF and Expedition Everest Challenge)
DisneyRegulars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:57 PM   #164
nchulka
it was funny when the creepy guys would follow close to them and then pull their chainsaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by a11ie View Post
I would gladly push my 15 year old in a stroller before I would let them think its ok to LAUGH at another child.
Maybe I'm crazy here but if everyone just accepts everyone else's choices on everything how are kids supposed to learn what is acceptable behavior Don't kids learn not to behave certain ways because doing so in the past caused them to be ostracized? If a kid is doing something totally out of the realm of normal shouldn't other kids call them out on it?? That is how they learn to fit into society!

Last edited by nchulka; 10-02-2012 at 06:03 PM.
nchulka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:34 PM   #165
Hannathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nchulka View Post
Maybe I'm crazy here but if everyone just accepts everyone else's choices on everything how are kids supposed to learn what is acceptable behavior Don't kids learn not to behave certain ways because doing so in the past caused them to be ostracized? If a kid is doing something totally out of the realm of normal shouldn't other kids call them out on it?? That is how they learn to fit into society!
I agree. When you live in a society it isn't anything goes. There are societal norms and accepted behaviors. And a healthy 8yr old child in a stroller is outside the norm of stroller use.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: