Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2012, 12:04 PM   #136
Missy13d69
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayan View Post
Agreed. I told my son when he was younger and begging to go to Disney that he would be walking and if he needed a break he needed to speak up otherwise we'd keep on going. We took plenty of breaks, he walked and there was no whining. Trust me, if I see your 8 year old snowflake in a stroller not only will I laugh and snicker but so will my son.
I hope you do that laughing and snickering to yourself, and not where the child can hear you. That "snowflake" may have some health problem you can't see, and you insistence on passing judgment without facts, could be very detrimental to that child's self esteem. Basically, that behavior equates to an adult bullying a child.

Missy13d69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:11 PM   #137
Missy13d69
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nchulka View Post
Except that as I said children grow up to be the leaders of tomorrow. What kind of a world is going to be run by people who were too lazy to walk around a THEME PARK when they were 8???? We are raising a nation of wimps in the US and it will be to our demise!
And I agree with you on that. It doesn't change the fact that when it comes to parenting, what one person sees as being soft, others see as normal. What one person sees as normal, other people see as being too strict. Where is the line? Who is parenting right? They all are.

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-02-2012, 12:18 PM   #138
Hannathy
When I stop laughing I will answer you

Quote:
Originally Posted by nchulka View Post
Except that as I said children grow up to be the leaders of tomorrow. What kind of a world is going to be run by people who were too lazy to walk around a THEME PARK when they were 8???? We are raising a nation of wimps in the US and it will be to our demise!

Take a look at what expectations of children were 200 and 100 years ago and see how far we have fallen. Children are not born less capable than they used to be parents just continue to lower and lower their expectations. 30 years ago a question about a 4 year old in a stroller would have gotten the same results that this thread has now. 30 years from now the question will be about 12 year olds in strollers. Parents are lowering the bar!
I agree. I do worry about this country in the future.
Hannathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:22 PM   #139
Sparkly

Then a bunch of people started commenting on it
I wondered if people really lived there and got to watch them every night

I was a whiner as a kid, but my mum told me to get over it! If I asked to ride in a stroller as a eight year old, she would most likely tell me to stop being lazy and just walk.

Nov 2003, Feb 2005,Aug 2006, Apr 2008, Feb 2011, Feb 2012, Feb 2013!, Feb 2014, March 2015
Trip reports! :: Feb 2012 TR ~ PTR ~ No Faith in Google Maps, Trust and Pixie Dust! ~ Ohana Means Family, Family Means Dad is Left Behind For A Girly Trip!

Sparkly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:25 PM   #140
luvmy2babies
DIS Veteran

I think we just canít decide what kind of parent a person is based on one decision they make as to how they will tour a theme park.

But I could be biased. I have had my parenting attacked on here because I use a harness on my toddler. It is the one with the puppy on the back. According to some, I am a lazy parent. According to others, I am permanently damaging his self-image. As I watched him snuggling with the puppy last night, I thought about those comments.

I am raising my children by myself. Their father died 2.5 years ago. I am constantly bombarded with messages of how children turn out or can turn out when they have no father in the home. He isnít just out of the home, heís gone never to return and on his birthday we went to the cemetery, not out to dinner. I didnít kick him out, he died and yet my children have this to deal with and overcome, practically born into it as he died when they were 6 and 2 months old.

My daughter is also Dyslexic. Tests upon tests to get there then meetings on top of meetings to get her comfortable in school, then appointments on top of other appointments to get her the help she needs. I juggle supervising him and his development while doing homework with a child who may need 5 minutes to sound out a word in her homework. Then thereís my job. Then there's the time loving them and building them up.

I bust my behind every day and night, but I harness my son, so Iím a lazy parent. Thereís something wrong there. We don't know anyone's big picture.

June 2012: Going with the flow with Tropical Storm Debby TR (1st 5 days): http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2953583
June 2013: Our Disney World Road Trip TR: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3137685
May 2014: Best trip yet. Working on the TR
luvmy2babies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:32 PM   #141
sheilanne
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy13d69

I hope you do that laughing and snickering to yourself, and not where the child can hear you. That "snowflake" may have some health problem you can't see, and you insistence on passing judgment without facts, could be very detrimental to that child's self esteem. Basically, that behavior equates to an adult bullying a child.
Unbelievable, that an adult would laugh at a child and encourage their child to do the same!!!!
sheilanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:34 PM   #142
Missy13d69
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy2babies View Post
I think we just canít decide what kind of parent a person is based on one decision they make as to how they will tour a theme park.

But I could be biased. I have had my parenting attacked on here because I use a harness on my toddler. It is the one with the puppy on the back. According to some, I am a lazy parent. According to others, I am permanently damaging his self-image. As I watched him snuggling with the puppy last night, I thought about those comments.

I am raising my children by myself. Their father died 2.5 years ago. I am constantly bombarded with messages of how children turn out or can turn out when they have no father in the home. He isnít just out of the home, heís gone never to return and on his birthday we went to the cemetery, not out to dinner. I didnít kick him out, he died and yet my children have this to deal with and overcome, practically born into it as he died when they were 6 and 2 months old.

My daughter is also Dyslexic. Tests upon tests to get there then meetings on top of meetings to get her comfortable in school, then appointments on top of other appointments to get her the help she needs. I juggle supervising him and his development while doing homework with a child who may need 5 minutes to sound out a word in her homework. Then thereís my job. Then there's the time loving them and building them up.

I bust my behind every day and night, but I harness my son, so Iím a lazy parent. Thereís something wrong there. We don't know anyone's big picture.
Exactly!

I'm very sorry for your loss. I can't even begin to imagine what you're going through.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:55 PM   #143
lucifie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy13d69 View Post
I agree. My disabled 9 year old doesn't look disabled and that would be a huge slap in the face to ME (she probably wouldn't understand and laugh along with him ). DD can walk and normally doesn't use a stroller but we're going to get her one for WDW so the whole family can enjoy the trip. She just doesn't have the endurance. She might make it through one day in the parks OK, but not 5. I don't plan to use it all the time, but it will be nice to have it when she runs out of steam.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:03 PM   #144
Marionnette
Wishing On A Star
I stop in the middle and make others step over me while pretending not to understand English

Quote:

First of all, I'm sorry for your loss. It must be terribly difficult and I cannot begin to fathom your grief.

And if you need to put a harness on your child to keep him safe, then I have no objection and do not judge you because of your choice.

However, there is a big difference between harnessing a small child that is difficult to keep track of and placing an 8-year-old in a stroller because you find it easier to push them through the parks like a baby than to listen to them whine about their tired feet. We're not talking about children with hidden disabilities here. We're discussing perfectly healthy 8-year-old kids.

Now here's a question for those parents who have older kids that are considering a stroller for their 3rd or 4th grade child: What would your kid do if you wanted to take a picture of them in the stroller? Would they hop right in and grin for the camera or would they run away like the dickens? My guess is that no self-respecting 8-year-old wants photographic evidence like that out there. And for good reason. It's because strollers are for babies and 8-YEAR-OLDS ARE NOT BABIES!!!!!!

Marionnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:09 PM   #145
luvmy2babies
DIS Veteran

I wouldnít be pushing a healthy 8 year-old either and Iím looking forward to the day I no longer need the harness.

I am just saying, I don't feel it is fair to determine what kind of parent a person is or what kind of adult the child will be by their decision to do that.

June 2012: Going with the flow with Tropical Storm Debby TR (1st 5 days): http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2953583
June 2013: Our Disney World Road Trip TR: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3137685
Old 10-02-2012, 01:12 PM   #146
a11ie
"I only hope that we Do Not lose sight of one thing -- That it was all started by a mouse." -- Walt Disney

If someone is busting their butt and paying GOOD money to be on this vacation with their family WHO ARE YOU to tell them how they should and should not be comfortable. If that will keep her 8 year old from complaining all day, every day then why not? The Disney experience can be a lot for anyone, at any age. And should be enjoyed however possible. It's a vacation, let her be lazy!

I would gladly push my 15 year old in a stroller before I would let them think its ok to LAUGH at another child.
Dec '92.(US trip)_____Nov '93 (offsite)
Dec '94 (Dixie Landing)_____Sep '95 (BC)
Disneyland '96______Oct '97 (??)
Nov '99 (DL)_____May '00 (BWV)
May '01 (S&D)______Nov '01 (POR, BWV)
Disney Cruise '02______May '03 (BWV)
Oct '04 (BWV)______Sep '06 (BWV)

My DS FIRST trip at 14mo Nov '10 (BWV)
Had 2nd, surprise, trip with Grandma and Papa Oct '12 (BWV)
Planning to go back Sep '13. (BLT&BWV)
ME DS
a11ie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:18 PM   #147
mjkacmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
But that harness was marketed towards a toddler, the same way strollers are marketed for little kids. On this thread, it appears that most people feel that an 8 year old (non-special needs) doesn't need a stroller. Lots of these comments were from people who have had 8 year olds themselves.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:21 PM   #148
quandrea
DIS Veteran

No one is offering proactive advice. the bob strollers and chariot strollers will be your best bet with an eight year old. However, we have an eight year old and three year old twins. we just got back from Alaska and it was our first trip without a stroller for anyone. It was great. No hauling the big double stroller around. For your eight year old--try going without. If you need it you can rent in the park as required. My guess is that if you don't go at commando speed you'll be fine. You may even have a better time. Try some walks at home. My eight year old is the fittest in our house. she can swim and walk for miles. You'll be amazed at walk they can handle.
quandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:25 PM   #149
luvmy2babies
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkacmom View Post
But that harness was marketed towards a toddler, the same way strollers are marketed for little kids. On this thread, it appears that most people feel that an 8 year old (non-special needs) doesn't need a stroller. Lots of these comments were from people who have had 8 year olds themselves.
And yet, I have still been called a lazy parent for using that harness.

Again, I don't agree with pushing a healthy 8 year-old in a stroller, but the OP had made that decision so I offered the best suggestion I could think of including adjusting the schedule so she may not need it. Some people though in their comments have determined what kind of parent makes that decision and what kind of adult the child will be. My point was and still is, that I don’t feel this one decision determines what kind of parent the person is or what kind of adult the child will be. I haven’t pushed an 8 year-old so I used my decision to harness as an example because it was attacked on here both of those ways.

Old 10-02-2012, 01:33 PM   #150
Nayan
DIS Veteran

Location: About an hour east of WDW. 192 all the way "home". :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marionnette View Post
However, there is a big difference between harnessing a small child that is difficult to keep track of and placing an 8-year-old in a stroller because you find it easier to push them through the parks like a baby than to listen to them whine about their tired feet. We're not talking about children with hidden disabilities here. We're discussing perfectly healthy 8-year-old kids.

Now here's a question for those parents who have older kids that are considering a stroller for their 3rd or 4th grade child: What would your kid do if you wanted to take a picture of them in the stroller? Would they hop right in and grin for the camera or would they run away like the dickens? My guess is that no self-respecting 8-year-old wants photographic evidence like that out there. And for good reason. It's because strollers are for babies and 8-YEAR-OLDS ARE NOT BABIES!!!!!!
Exactly my point. A healthy 8 year old is very capable of walking around the parks fine. Using a stroller for a disabled child I have no issue with but using one for a healthy one who "might" whine and complain? Really?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: