Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2012, 01:13 PM   #1
pixxi
Mouseketeer

Question Family of 6 ? carry on..

We are a family of 6 (kids 13,10,7,2). We were thinking of only checking in 1 bag at the airline and using carry on for the rest. However, I think must be going crazy to think like that.

I'm trying to save the extra bag fee. I assume we will have 4 carry on and also a few personal bags. We also will be checking a stoller at the gate. We have to change planes and have 30 minutes. I'm thinking the carry on thing isn't going to work. Trying to get all the luggage down from the racks, gather the kids and get our stroller...then find the next gate. All this to save $45 round trip???!!!

I'm crazy if I think that's going to work right? I think I'll need to let our flight attendants know we have this 30 minute window. In the past it seems to take awhile to get the stoller out from the gate.

By the way we didn't pick this, our flight has changed several times. When I picked we had 1 1/2 hour layover.
pixxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:32 PM   #2
Marionnette
Wishing On A Star
I stop in the middle and make others step over me while pretending not to understand English

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixxi View Post
We are a family of 6 (kids 13,10,7,2). We were thinking of only checking in 1 bag at the airline and using carry on for the rest. However, I think must be going crazy to think like that.

I'm trying to save the extra bag fee. I assume we will have 4 carry on and also a few personal bags. We also will be checking a stoller at the gate. We have to change planes and have 30 minutes. I'm thinking the carry on thing isn't going to work. Trying to get all the luggage down from the racks, gather the kids and get our stroller...then find the next gate. All this to save $45 round trip???!!!

I'm crazy if I think that's going to work right? I think I'll need to let our flight attendants know we have this 30 minute window. In the past it seems to take awhile to get the stoller out from the gate.

By the way we didn't pick this, our flight has changed several times. When I picked we had 1 1/2 hour layover.
That's going to be tight unless the gates are really close!

How good are the older kids about helping with the little ones? Are they capable of assisting 7yo and 2 yo get their smaller bags together while you and your husband take care of the stuff stored overhead? And if so, will you each be able to maneuver two carry-on bags down the aisle of the plane and out the jetway to the your next gate?

Yes, it does sound daunting. No, I wouldn't attempt it. I'd find someplace else in the budget to trim the $45 from. The peace of mind would be worth the cost, to me.

Marionnette is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-19-2012, 02:12 PM   #3
mjkacmom
DIS Veteran

We never check luggage, but we always fly direct. Every child gets a carry-on bag (with wheels).
Old 10-19-2012, 02:15 PM   #4
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Where are you connecting at? How far towards the back of the plane are you all sitting? Both of those things can make a big difference.

I would probably keep each child to one personal item only. No way would I want to be slowed down and weighed down by a bunch of carry on bags when trying to make a short connection.

Keep in mind too that if your family is among the last to board the plane, there is a very real chance of having to gate check your carry on bags. So you would have to wait for those bags too, and not just your gate checked stroller.
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 02:29 PM   #5
theduhaimes
Mouseketeer

We are a family of 6 and I would not attempt it. I agree with pp and would find another place in the budget to trim $45 off the budget. If you check the bags, it will be a lot easier to grab the kids and stroller and run for the next plane. Good luck!

Me(44) DH(48) DS18/ DD11 DS8 DS6

theduhaimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 03:37 PM   #6
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran

A thirty minute gate change is far too risky, especially when traveling with children. Even if your plane arrives on time, by the time you get to the next gate, it will very likely be almost finished with boarding. There is a chance there will not be overhead space left for your carry-on bags. You also have a very good chance of missing your connection.

You need to contact your airline and see if you can get your tickets changed. It's possible you could get a free change if 30 minutes is not a legal connection time.
lost*in*cyberspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 03:41 PM   #7
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post

Keep in mind too that if your family is among the last to board the plane, there is a very real chance of having to gate check your carry on bags. So you would have to wait for those bags too, and not just your gate checked stroller.
No, if their bags are gate checked because the overhead space is full, the bags are not retrieved plane side before proceeding to the next flight. They are handled like regular checked bags and will be transferred to the next flight by the airline. They are picked up at baggage claim at the destination.
Old 10-19-2012, 04:11 PM   #8
ABBMommy
Earning My Ears

Well crap, y'all! We were thinking of doing carryons only with a family of 4 (kids are 5 and 7), but we only have a 50 minute layover in Charlotte. I've never been to that airport so I don't know if that's something to be concerned about or not!
ABBMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 04:22 PM   #9
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost*in*cyberspace View Post
No, if their bags are gate checked because the overhead space is full, the bags are not retrieved plane side before proceeding to the next flight. They are handled like regular checked bags and will be transferred to the next flight by the airline. They are picked up at baggage claim at the destination.
Not always. I've never had mine go thru to baggage claim, though I know that happens too.
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 04:36 PM   #10
puffkin
DVC Owner- SSR & AKV

I refuse to pay airline fees as much as possible, but in this case pay the $45!

Veteran of 25+ trips to the World
puffkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 04:46 PM   #11
Fyrefly
Mouseketeer

To OP, 30 minutes is a catastrophe waiting to happen even if you were a party of two adults with no luggage at all. It's way too close and there are too many things that could go wrong. Ten minute delay anywhere on your first flight could make it impossible to get to the other. Add in small children and a stroller and I can't see it happening, even ignoring the carry-on issue.

If it were me I would try and change your second flight. Explain its a 30 minute layover with small children. If you can get 90 minutes or so that would be enough in my mind and you *might* be able to manage the carry-ons depending on how good you are at wrangling. A little boring for the kids waiting but its better than missing your flight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABBMommy View Post
Well crap, y'all! We were thinking of doing carryons only with a family of 4 (kids are 5 and 7), but we only have a 50 minute layover in Charlotte. I've never been to that airport so I don't know if that's something to be concerned about or not!
Do you know what your arrival and departure gates are? Find a map online and look and see how far it is, or call the airport and ask how long it should take. If it's in the same terminal and no shuttles or anything are involved you might be able to manage 50 minutes. You've got nearly twice as much time as OP and half as many children per parent to look out for.
Old 10-19-2012, 04:52 PM   #12
melancholywings
How do you prepare for a bank full of nuns?
'I'm thinking of a disney character'

I think a 30 minute layer over is really risky as well. Are you familiar with the airport? We've had layovers that required an extra trip through TSA as the gates were separated, required waiting for a tram to another gate, etc. Then there's bathroom breaks, wanting to stretch the kids' legs, etc. Sometimes I feel like an hour layover isn't enough.
melancholywings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:26 PM   #13
auralia
DIS Veteran

With a 30 minute layover odds are that any checked luggage won't make it on your next flight even if you do.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:59 PM   #14
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by auralia View Post
With a 30 minute layover odds are that any checked luggage won't make it on your next flight even if you do.
Untrue. Thirty minutes is plenty of time to transfer luggage.
Old 10-20-2012, 02:23 AM   #15
chris31997
Disney Kid at Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixxi View Post

It would be crazy and I would not attempt it with the ages you are talking about and a stroller. I would try to limit the carry on to maximize the ability to get off and out of the plane as quickly as possible to next plane. I would even consider checking the stroller or bringing the smallest possible and seeing if they can put it in the plane(coat closet). I would also ask about the gates when you check in and have them note it when you check in

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABBMommy View Post
IT might be possible but what you need to consider is:Can your kids pull their weight when it comes to that(run with carry-ons) and how long are you going to be gone.

Chrissy
chris31997 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: