Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2012, 07:28 AM   #16
Hoopfamily
We're 3 Caballeros, We're 3 Caballeros, They say we are birds of a feather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashbb View Post
When was her last trip? Perhaps it was before the new rule was introduced.
Crash you are correct. Our last trip was 2010.
May '01 Orange Lake, Sept '02 Wilderness Lodge, Oct '06 Boardwalk, May '08 Radisson Worldgate, Oct '08Vistana Villages, May '09 Mariott Sabal Palms, June '10 Sabal Palms Again, Nov '12 ASMu, Sept '14 Saratoga Springs Resort

Hoopfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:15 PM   #17
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missytara View Post
Each person will have to go through with their own carry-on with their own 3-1-1 bag.

If you think it through, you cannot be at the head of the line and then try to explain to the TSA agent there are five of you, only four with a carry-on and then you present all of the 3-1-1 bags, and then point out everyone else traveling. Imagine the confusion. In addition, if someone has an item that is not correct to take onboard, how do you determine who did not follow the rules.

You present your ID. You remove your shoes and pull out your 3-1-1 bag out of your carry-on. You are pulling the bin and placing the items for yourself only. The TSA agent scans it and waves you through and the next person goes through.

There are multiple lines, so you may not even be motioned to the same line.

It may make a lot more sense when you go through the line and you see how it works.
Lots of incorrect info here. I travel all the time and have never had to show a TSA agent which 311 bag was mine. You don't usually have discussions with TSA agents about the people in your party. You can put items from other family members in your bin. You don't show your id to screeners at the X-ray/body scanners. Not usually anyway.

No one 12 or under has to remove shoes.

OP - your plan is fine.
lost*in*cyberspace is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-25-2012, 01:02 PM   #18
nhfd155
Mouseketeer

No shoes off for little one anymore. This was changed recently. As far as the 3-1-1 rule, we have flown several times in the past few years and never had a problem. We try not to put anything in carry-ons except items we need for the flight. I'm sure we accidentally brought something on, but never been questioned.
Old 09-25-2012, 03:40 PM   #19
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

I would worry if there is a long line about the time it will take to explain why you yourself have 4 baggies. If they stop and question you it can hold up the line a bit. Patient and kind are not the TSAs thing. More often they are short and to the point.

Have everyone else except the 3 and 1 year olds handle a baggie. Your older girls should be able to toss a baggie into a bin. You will have enough to deal with helping your little ones get thru security. No need to handle all those baggies on your own.

And just so you know, only ticketed passengers are allowed baggies. So if your 1 year old is a lap baby your family is only allowed 5 baggies. If she has a ticket you are allowed 6.
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 03:54 PM   #20
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
I would worry if there is a long line about the time it will take to explain why you yourself have 4 baggies. If they stop and question you it can hold up the line a bit. Patient and kind are not the TSAs thing. More often they are short and to the point.
This is unnecessary. The TSA employees can see that you are traveling together. They aren't going to quiz you if you put your family's 311 bags in one bin. I would like to add that the majority of TSA employees are professional and friendly. Some are even chatty!
lost*in*cyberspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 04:07 PM   #21
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost*in*cyberspace View Post
This is unnecessary. The TSA employees can see that you are traveling together. They aren't going to quiz you if you put your family's 311 bags in one bin. I would like to add that the majority of TSA employees are professional and friendly. Some are even chatty!
Saying TSA agents are short and to the point does not mean they are unprofessional nor unfriendly. I have however found very few of them to be chatty. Their job is to give you the once over and get you thru the line as quickly as possible. And that is doubly true going thru screening at MCO. They will divide families up without a second though.

It is unnecessary for one person to handle all of the baggies, plus try and help 2 small children with the screening process. It will make it easier on mom if her 2 older kids can help her out.
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 04:13 PM   #22
Sandi
A proud Spartans fan!

error post; sorry

Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 05:01 PM   #23
NotUrsula
DIS Veteran

From long experience, it's easier to have one person handle the baggies while another deals with making sure that everything else is accounted for.

I *have* on occasion been asked about having multiple baggies in one bin, but the simple solution is to mark the baggies with passenger names.
I just mark the baggies: A. Smith - toiletries, B. Smith - toiletries, C. Smith - toiletries, A. Smith - medications, etc. That way the TSO can see at a glance that you are carrying the allowance for others in your party.
NotUrsula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 05:25 PM   #24
CPT Tripss
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by julirina View Post
Thank you for all the input. I will prepare the kids for the possibility of taking off shoes; they will no doubt think that's hilarious and probably make stinky feet jokes all day. I'll pack all the toiletry bags together, go through the family line and pray for a kind and patient TSA agent who's having a great day.
Those are few and far between. Just hope for professional and knowledgable . . . you have a somewhat better chance.

Quote:
Family of 6, but probably only 4 zip bags -- three for liquids and one for meds.
Meds don't need to come out of carry-on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost*in*cyberspace View Post
The chatty ones are usually BDOs.
Old 09-25-2012, 05:30 PM   #25
njmom47
He's such a fiend!
The monkeys would go crazy on the cars
I wound up with orange tiger stripes

http://www.tsa.gov/311/311-carry-ons.shtm
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...carry-ons.shtm

Maybe these links will help, although it seems your questions may have been answered already.

Junior Brody Stella Luna Louie Ella the Bunny
Christmas 07/New Years 08-CBR (baseball), 2006-POR (cheering), 2001-Dixie Landings, 1988, 1975-Offsite
Trip was great...no new ticker for awhile!
njmom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:33 PM   #26
kwdw
DIS Veteran

Okay - so this is not intended to be snarky - so - please read as a trying to be helpful idea.

A family of 6 with little ones. Even with shoes on for those under twelve - that's tough through airport security. Sweaters to take off, pockets to empty, shoes off for adults, carry on items on the belt, watching your kids if you get separated, etc - it all adds up.

Do you really NEED four separate bags with liquids in your carry-ons? Airports sell stuff, hotels sell stuff, and you are checking bags. Yes - I understand if there are liquid meds that you need some of in case luggage gets lost, but really, what else are you taking?

For travelers not checking a bag or in need of liquid meds, I get why those folks put their 3-1-1 quart bag of liquids in their carry-ons.

Can you shrink that to one bag with just the stuff you need in case of emergency during the flight? You'll have a much smoother start to the trip with less to deal with at security.

And also - if you have to check ANY bags at all - how many carry-ons do you need? You already have to deal with collecting a bag at baggage claim - so that time is lost regardless. I realize checked bags might cost you money - but there is also the benefit of less stuff to keep track of through security, waiting at the gate, and trying to find room in the overhead bins. Sure, an older kid can be completely responsible for their backpack, maybe. Are yours? Or would it be easier for you to have fewer carry-ons that might be communal?

Only you can know what is best for you and your family, but really - I've seen families struggle with WAY too much stuff in the airport and I've seen clearly seasoned traveling families who breeze through with nothing but a single backpack (usually carried by dad). Just figure out who you are.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:41 PM   #27
3BoysRDisneyFreaks
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Inexperienced at flying as a large family, and no clear answer on the TSA regs page...regarding the 3-1-1 rule, I know it is one qt -size zip bag per traveler, but can I put all the zip bags for the family in one carry on bag? I have a great vintage Samsonite train case I would like to use for everyone's toiletry items. Then I can pull all the zip bags out at once at the security checkpoint, put them all in one bin and put them right back in the train case once they're screened. Or does each individual need to carry her own zip bag separately in her own carry on bag?

Thanks!
I throw all 6 of our bags in one bag and have never had an issue as long as we are all walking through TSA together.

Sarah
Mason (6)
Wyatt (2)
Haden (the babe)
3BoysRDisneyFreaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:28 AM   #28
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

I have been traveling a lot the last year..never had a problem with a TSA agent..they have been to the point but always friendly........and yes even chatty.

The only time I have seen them get very professional is when a traveler has not followed the rules and then started to debate it with them!

AKK
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: