Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Planning Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2012, 06:24 AM   #46
2Tiggies
I am subscribing to this thread just so I can see your shirt
I like those water proof containers that hang around my neck on a lanyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcgiu View Post
I have only once not left a tip TBH at WDW - the service was so bad that I begrudged paying for the meal let alone tipping.
Did you call the manager? I wouldn't have paid for a meal in full if I was unhappy. I would have said something. But then perhaps that's just showing too many (or not enough years) out of the UK
2Tiggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:19 AM   #47
wilma-bride
Would love a diet on Cadbury Flakes
Admits she's strange when it comes to eggs

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Tiggies View Post
Sorry, but I am with Debs on this one. It's not what YOU think is fine - it's honoring the 'done thing'
I totally agree. It's one thing choosing to tip somebody who is not in a 'tipped position', such as housekeeping, reception staff etc. To me, it's entirely another thing choosing not to tip somebody who is being taxed as if they had received the tip. If you don't tip that person, they are taking a pay cut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Tiggies View Post
That said, I have never had poor service at WDW. However, I would never leave nothing and here's why:

If you want to get your point across that the service is bad, leaving half a tip speaks a lot louder than leaving no tip (where the server may think that you had forgotten).
An excellent point. If you leave no tip, how is that making your point about the level of service you received It could be that the server merely thinks you forgot. Yes, they lose out on the money but it leaves them with a poor impression of you, the customer.

On a few (out of 10 visits) occasions (mainly outside of WDW) I have received disappointing service but not bad in that the server was rude or complacent, just more that they were a little disorganised or got an order wrong. To me, that is not bad service - everyone has their off days - and I have never felt that I have not wanted to leave a tip at all. On those occasions, I left a little over 10% - that was my way of telling the server that the service they had provided me with was under par. To be honest, compared with most places in the UK, the level of service received in WDW or other restaurants in Florida is outstanding.

I rarely voice my displeasure at less than stellar service because the British reserve kicks in and I don't like the thought of conflict or confrontation. However if I truly received such poor service that I felt like not leaving a tip or if a server was rude to me, I would have no hesitation in asking to speak with a manager.
wilma-bride is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-26-2012, 07:33 AM   #48
kitcat1
Mouseketeer

I have been having meals out for the past 30 years and have ALWAYS tipped and always thought it was the done thing.....wherever you live. I grew up in the Leeds area and ate at some really lovely restaurants as a teenager then into adulthood and wouldn't dream of not rewarding good service, 10% in the UK, same in France and the 18% for USA. If I encounter a problem or aren't satisfied with all aspects of my meal I would rather complain first then that would be reflected in the tip I leave. I can honestly say that it is the first time I have ever heard of people thinking it is not the done thing in the UK!

I have never heard of no tipping in UK.......I have always factored it into the meal price first and will carry on doing so as I think its fair and what goes around comes around......I would want to be tipped as it would make me more attentive as a server.......

Cath
Old 09-26-2012, 07:53 AM   #49
marcgiu
Marcgiu

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Tiggies

Did you call the manager? I wouldn't have paid for a meal in full if I was unhappy. I would have said something. But then perhaps that's just showing too many (or not enough years) out of the UK
I did - the food was fine but the waitress was rude, disinterested and patronising.
I do my best not to complain and am happy to let things slide - as said 99.9% of the time I will tip generously but on this occasion there was no way I was going to leave money acknowledging any decent level of service.
marcgiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:33 AM   #50
queendisney
DIS Veteran

Just got back and we always tipped a min of 20% for good service and a only 10% for sub standard service in restaurants. Never would we NOT leave a tip. We also left a few $'s at places like Wolfgang Puck but noticed that many Americans did not.
I agree with others I do think that you should do what is customary in the country you are visiting and not what you think should be done.
I also noticed that on the DME back to the airport it was nearly all brits and we were the ONLY ones to tip the driver. We were last off the bus (as normal) and they just took their cases and legged it into departures.

Maybe its just me but sometimes when we tipped ie a taxi driver, they seemed slightly surprised to get the recommended amt or any at all from a Brit

Maybe tipping in the UK is different from region to region but I have also always left a min of 10% at UK restaurants as well.

Walt Disney World resort 18 times, off resort 2 times. Disneyland Paris approx. 20 times. Disneyland California.
queendisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:53 AM   #51
royal99
Earning My Ears

Hi, have not posted for a while but always reading posts and thought I need to get more active

On the subject of tipping, over the years of coming to orlando I have seen a change in how servers expect a tip no matter how good the service is, which to me defeats the whole point of a tip.

Two occasions when we last went one in sea world and one port orleans (Fq) stand out. One when the service was average and one when the guy was far to in your face and over the top in a strange not friendly way. Both times we gave 10-15% and got a shake of the head and rudely ignored for rest of time in the place.

I for one don't understand how in USA you can give out very average service but still be expected to get at least 15% but in u.k you can do brilliant service and only give a couple of quid. I give my tip completely on the service I am given, and will always tip very well or not tip accordingly no matter what country I am in. Its also doesn't have to take much to impress the simple things go a long way a smile or acknowledgement when you first sit down with maybe a "hi be with you in a minute" goes a long way.
royal99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: