Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Plan
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2012, 01:00 PM   #1
cottontail
DIS Veteran

disney diningplan can two people split an entree

Hello:

We are on the diningplan, are we allowed to split a meal with another person.

Deb.
cottontail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:06 PM   #2
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Per Disney's dining plan literature you can split with a person who is in your party, but you can't use your credits for someone who is not on your room reservation or dining plan.

In other words, you can do this if your party wants to save credits for other meals, but not if you want to "treat" a guest.

You cannot split meals (DDP or no DDP) at buffets, all you can eat family style restaurants, CRT or Akershus, dinner shows, or special package meals like Fantasmic or Candlelight Processional.

You cannot split meals on DDP at Via Napoli.

Otherwise, it appears to be generally allowed.
Register to remove

Old 09-24-2012, 01:11 PM   #3
elaine amj
DIS Veteran

FYI: I asked to split at TRex and was told a flat "no" if I was on DDP. (I assume it's allowed for cash guests??!) We even asked for the manager. We actually ended up walking out because we just didn't feel like all ordering an entree and dessert. We ate QS that night

Everywhere else we ate were completely gracious. We split a lot of our meals and ended up stretching 12 TS credits each into 14 meals, 2 of which were signature.

I've been writing a review mentioning what we ordered and how our servers handled the sharing. The link is in my siggy if you want to see how it worked for us.
Old 09-24-2012, 02:20 PM   #4
figment_jii
DIS Veteran

In addition to the limits mentioned by TDC Nala, there are also a few places where you are required to have two people using credits to order something.

The Grand Floridian Cafe has a dessert sampler. Two people must be paying using credits to order that for the dessert portion of the entitlement.

I've also read, that two people must order the La Hacienda platter if paying using credits (the one that says "for 2").
figment_jii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:09 PM   #5
Ava
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by elaine amj View Post
FYI: I asked to split at TRex and was told a flat "no" if I was on DDP. (I assume it's allowed for cash guests??!) We even asked for the manager. We actually ended up walking out because we just didn't feel like all ordering an entree and dessert. We ate QS that night

Everywhere else we ate were completely gracious. We split a lot of our meals and ended up stretching 12 TS credits each into 14 meals, 2 of which were signature.

I've been writing a review mentioning what we ordered and how our servers handled the sharing. The link is in my siggy if you want to see how it worked for us.
Good for you for walking out of TRex! I completely understand not being allowed to share credits for buffets, all-you-care-to-eat meals, and meals that include entertainment (like dinner shows or Fantasmic packages). But for a regular meal, your credit is just purchasing the meal; it's no different to the restaurant than if you paid cash for your shared meal.

Will definitely check out your other meal sharing reviews. We're hoping to get Free Dining for our trip next fall, and plan to share to stretch our credits.

1983 (age 3) - Buena Vista Palace
1988 - Fort Wilderness Cabin
1991 - Offsite
1997 - All-Star Music
2002 - All-Star Music
2004 - All-Star Movies
April 2006 - All-Star Music (1st Trip with DW!)
May 2011 - POP Century (DD1's 1st Trip!)
Sept 2014 - Caribbean Beach (DD2's 1st Trip!)

Ava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 04:44 PM   #6
madelyn
DIS Veteran

My sisters and my son just returned from a trip earlier this week. They had an extra table service credit since my son (10 years old) ordered a child's entree at Le Cellier that was paid for out of pocket. They went to Sci Fi where my sisters shared a pasta entree using the table service credit and my son got a child's meal that was paid for out of pocket.
madelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:09 PM   #7
elaine amj
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ava
Good for you for walking out of TRex! I completely understand not being allowed to share credits for buffets, all-you-care-to-eat meals, and meals that include entertainment (like dinner shows or Fantasmic packages). But for a regular meal, your credit is just purchasing the meal; it's no different to the restaurant than if you paid cash for your shared meal.

Will definitely check out your other meal sharing reviews. We're hoping to get Free Dining for our trip next fall, and plan to share to stretch our credits.
In my planning, I had actually mentally prepared myself to either spend extra credits or pay oop if there was a time I wasn't allowed to share. That day we just weren't in the mood to do that though. I joke now that we had all the benefits of eating in TRex (the theming, the meteor shower, the photos - all done before the waitress returned to inform us we couldn't share ) without having to pay for it!

We weren't sure how far we could stretch our credits since we had every intention of eating very well....but we were always full and had enough extra snacks and meals to bring home souvenir snacks and even most of a pizza for the kids to bring to school for lunch!

ONe of our favorite part of our Disney trips is the free dining. We get even more food on a cruise...but without the sheer variety of restaurants!
Old 09-30-2012, 09:44 AM   #8
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012

Location: There is no Pixie Dust on the Transportation Board!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elaine amj View Post
Maybe. Maybe not. There are only two TRex locations in the entire country. They're owned by Landry, not by Disney. As with Via Napoli (or any other contracted restaurant) they're not required to allow shared/split meals.
kaytieeldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:11 PM   #9
elaine amj
DIS Veteran

Really, no restaurants are required to allow shared meals...so I was fine and prepared for it.

Most are great about it though. I do know of places that charge a splitting fee.

No big loss. They told us their policy and at that particular time, we decided it wasn't worth it and left politely

Glad to share a heads up for others hoping to do the same thing as none of the reviews I have read mentioned difficulties with splitting meals there.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:23 PM   #10
cybrkitn
We called it Bonko
I loved climbing trees
Don't apply for a job there! DUH!!!!!
Dork/geeky or just plain scary. You be the judge

Glad I found this thread. DS just turned 10 back in June, so he's now on the adult DDP. I'd like to share a meal with him at Yatchsman's Steakhouse since all of their steaks are too much for him (as well as for me). Does anyone know if this is possible even though it takes 2 TS credits? This is the only restaurant we need to do this with.

Thanks

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect... but actually, from a non-linear, non subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly...timey-wimey...stuff." The Doctor
cybrkitn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:21 PM   #11
elaine amj
DIS Veteran

Unfortunately our meal at Narccoossee was the only one we didn't split. I doubt it would be a problem though.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:50 PM   #12
Mom2six
DIS Veteran

We didn't try to share any TS meals, but it was interesting to see the way different restaurants handled the fact that my DS4 wasn't eating. We also told the wait staff that he wouldn't be eating, though we always expected to pay at buffets, family style etc. He doesn't even drink anything there. I was very surprised that Askershus didn't charge him a credit, but at Rainforest Cafe we had to order a children's meal for him - it was their policy to charge everyone at the table a dining credit. It didn't really matter either way because we weren't using his credits for anything else...it was just odd that a non-buffet would have that policy.
Mom2six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:32 AM   #13
cybrkitn
We called it Bonko
I loved climbing trees

I called Disney Dining and they transfered me to another department who could put me right through to the Yachtsman's Steakhouse. I left a message a few days ago and still have not heard back. I don't know whether or not to call back since I haven't heard.

Basically, Disney Dining told me that it is up to the individual restaurants.

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect... but actually, from a non-linear, non subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly...timey-wimey...stuff." The Doctor
Old 10-04-2012, 08:37 AM   #14
cybrkitn
We called it Bonko
I loved climbing trees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2six View Post
I was very surprised that Askershus didn't charge him a credit, but at Rainforest Cafe we had to order a children's meal for him - it was their policy to charge everyone at the table a dining credit. It didn't really matter either way because we weren't using his credits for anything else...it was just odd that a non-buffet would have that policy.
When we went back in 2006, RFC wasn't on the DDP. They have just recently been added. That might be the reason why. The staff might still be getting used to being on the DDP list and how it works. Don't take this as fact, as I'm just guessing.

Old 10-04-2012, 08:48 AM   #15
n2mm
aka WALTSGIRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytieeldr View Post
Maybe. Maybe not. There are only two TRex locations in the entire country. They're owned by Landry, not by Disney. As with Via Napoli (or any other contracted restaurant) they're not required to allow shared/split meals.
We had no problem sharing meals at ViaNapoli. However, we never told them we would be sharing. We use TiW. I ordered the lasana and ate half then gave it to my husband to finish. All the while we had ordered a mega pizza too for the entire party. We have done this on many occassions. I never thought to even ask "permission". We pretty much do the same at Mama Melrose. We just switch entrees mid-way. At LeCellier my DD and I always share the salad and they just give us an extra plate and we have to do the spliting ourselves. We both get our own soup (no sharing of the soup). Personally I'm finding the portion sizes are getting smaller and smaller. We were just there in late August and was amazed at how small the portions are at 50s Prime Time. However, lunch at Liberty Tree remains unchanged and huge portions.

n2mm is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: