Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure Forums
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2012, 08:33 PM   #1
HeadintheClouds
MCO by way of GSP ♥

NBA City: Tipping Question

Me and my boyfriend went to NBA City for lunch and everything was great until we got the bill. After we ate our meals (which we enjoyed) we told the waitress we were ready for our check. She brought the bill back to the table and noticed my boyfriend taking out his debit card. She then proceeded to ask my boyfriend if he was giving the tip from his card. He replied yes and she basically stated that in order to save time just go ahead and put the tip on the bill.

We must've gotten heat stroke from the Florida sun because we didn't think anything of it at the time and did just as she asked. She came back for the bill/tip and went to go charge his card. When she came back she didn't seem to be in the same mood and just laid his receipt back on the table and didn't even say "goodbye" or anything. I guess she was upset at the $15 tip we left. Regardless of that, has this ever happened to anyone before? Is this a normal thing?

I thought normally the waiter/waitress was supposed to give you your check, you pay for the check with your card, they bring you your receipt, you sign it and then put the tip on it.

Past Trips to the World:

july 2001 • august 2011 • august 2012 • august 2013
HeadintheClouds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:10 PM   #2
DOOM1001
DIS Veteran

I'm not quite understanding what she did,did she just tell you to write the tip on the bill before she even swiped your card?If this is what she did then that just doesn't seem right.A guest can tell the server what tip they want to be added and then a server can swipe the card,add the tip and bring the credit card slip back to be signed,but the opposite with the server asking you first seems odd.I know servers in many restaurants in places frequented by tourists are getting little to no tips(South Americans,especially Brazilians are notorious for it)so it's possible she could be doing this to every table to get an opportunity to say something to them if the tip is not in the normal range.As far as your $15 tip,if your bill was anywhere around $100 or less and her service was acceptable then she had no reason to have a problem with it.In the end it sounds like you did have heatstroke as when she asked you should have just said we'll just add the tip when you bring the credit card slip.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:50 AM   #3
Bluer101
Waiting till vacation comes!

The only time this happens to me in in a restaurant that you pay up front. They will ask if you want a tip on the card. Then it will be all printed and you just sign. But at a waited table I think that's rude and wrong.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: