Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2012, 07:41 PM   #16
DawnM
Dawn

My 8 year old pretty much has taken over mine now that I have an iphone. He loves it, BUT, I do regret getting only 8gb. We are constantly having to delete stuff.

BTW: We have downloaded an app called Pinger and he has his own phone number now and can text for free with it and make calls for .02 per min. This only works in wifi, but he is thrilled with it.

When I went to San Antonio last month and was gone for 4 days, he texted about 50 times and called me a few times a day, all from his ipod touch.

ETA: Oh, and I have an otterbox on it and have since day 1. I strongly recommend a sturdy case from the min. your child gets it.

living with 4 boys (dh included)
DawnM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:36 PM   #17
melliej
Earning My Ears

We just got my daughter an ipod touch for her 7th birthday and I have no regrets. The parent controls are awesome. You can completely disable Safari and the App store; lock it so that they can't delete/add apps without your password; limit shows/songs/movies by their rating, etc. She is not a big video game person, but I like that a lot of the games are free and the ones that are not are very low in cost. I do recommend paying a couple bucks for the apps so that no ads show up while they are playing. I think she likes having her own music the most and the option to Facetime friends (only with contacts we input). There is a great "Find My iphone" app that works for the ipod too. It can erase the data if it has been stolen or simply track where the device is located if lost (you need another apple device with the same app installed for it to work). As far as storage, it depends on what you have on it. Movies will take up more space (she has the Muppets and I think it is over 1GB).
YACHT CLUB: december 2010 • first disney trip for my husband & kids
CARIBBEAN BEACH: december 1997
CARIBBEAN BEACH: march 1989
melliej is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-24-2012, 11:25 PM   #18
StephMK
DIS Veteran

Last year, we got DS10 a Nook Color thinking it'd be perfect since he loves games and reading. Well, it was a bust and he really wanted his sister's touch. We ended up giving the Nook to DH and got DS an ipod this year. He loves it. It has better apps, he will watch youtube videos on it, and he really loves to listen to music on it.

I keep the passwords and they have to have me input them in order to buy anything. I thought DD12 was ok to know it but after about $100 in a month buying tv shows & games, I realized she wasn't able to handle it yet either!
Old 09-25-2012, 09:38 PM   #19
bigmama67
DIS Veteran

Wow, thanks, everyone...great info! I am convinced this is the way to go. Now I just need to figure out our best option - I still like the idea of 16GB which would mean a 4th generation, but they are becoming harder to find. I'm certainly open to a refurbished one but we'll see where things are. I do recall last year TRU offered an 8GB Touch for $199 plus you got a gift card...that was Thanksgiving night. I wasn't going for that, then, (obviously), but I know many people who were thrilled by this.

1 dog, 4 cats (RIP beloved Bridget and Guthrie), 2 fish...

Trying to get back since our first family trip in '07...Currently Hoping/Wishing/Planning for: AUGUST 2015 (DS 6th grade graduation/DD K graduation trip):Two weeks, 9 parks! POFQ perhaps?

-to-be (Currently Paraprofessional)!
bigmama67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:05 PM   #20
newdeal
DIS Veteran

Rumor has it they will announce a 7.85" ipad mini (down from the currant 9.7") in mid october, it supposedly has thinner side bezels also. They are saying it will have the same screen resolution as the ipad2 and the same processor etc. likely it will be at a $299 price point so that may be something he would use and is cheaper than a full size ipad.
newdeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:29 PM   #21
Sagginit
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by melliej View Post
We just got my daughter an ipod touch for her 7th birthday and I have no regrets. The parent controls are awesome. You can completely disable Safari and the App store; lock it so that they can't delete/add apps without your password; limit shows/songs/movies by their rating, etc. She is not a big video game person, but I like that a lot of the games are free and the ones that are not are very low in cost. I do recommend paying a couple bucks for the apps so that no ads show up while they are playing. I think she likes having her own music the most and the option to Facetime friends (only with contacts we input). There is a great "Find My iphone" app that works for the ipod too. It can erase the data if it has been stolen or simply track where the device is located if lost (you need another apple device with the same app installed for it to work). As far as storage, it depends on what you have on it. Movies will take up more space (she has the Muppets and I think it is over 1GB).
so funny you mention that about the ads. as an adult i downloaded a few free games and deleted one due to the ads. it kept giving me this really creepy ad for a horror movie. i have been playing bubble shoot and the other day the ad was for a fantasy game with a naked woman! definitely something i would never have thought would pop up on my game.

i think "toys" like this are very important these days as its never too young to learn technology as it will be vital in the workplace and life from now on. when i got my first computer as a child i mostly played games but you learn other things like how to change settings, and then why it does certain things, and how programs work etc. i know someone that got a 6 year an iPad, as silly as it sounds the kid has learned to use it mostly on his own and it is pretty impressive what he can do. i can imagine him in the computer lab in a few years tapping the screen telling his teacher the computer is broken
Old 09-26-2012, 08:37 AM   #22
ljcraw555
DIS Veteran

I think my DS9 should send all of you "Thank you" cards after Christmas.

Since reading this thread, I think we will finally give in to the begging and pleading for an IPod Touch.

Thanks all! Makes Christmas shopping so much easier now.
March 2012 - CSR
May 2010 - Offsite - Windsor Hills
May 2009 - ASMu - Family Suite - AWESOME!
October 2007 - Pop Century / June 1994 - CBR

ljcraw555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:08 AM   #23
delmar411
DIS Veteran

Toys R Us has a 32GB Touch for $299 plus they are (were?) giving a $50 GC with it.

Also Sam's has the same touch for $244. ($5 less after GC).
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. ~Voltaire
delmar411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:18 AM   #24
mrudman
DIS Veteran

The Apple store has refurbished 4th generation 8gb Touches for $149 and 16gb for $209.

Although I'm a bit confused.. it says they came out originally in Sept. 2010, but I know for a fact I just got mine and dd's last fall when they first came out (first white one and pre-ordered it),

mrudman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:22 AM   #25
TinkNH
just not quite ready to let go of summer and flip flops
I can craft and type

Dd10 got one for christmas last year and still uses it daily. she facetimes with her friends from school and her cousin often and plays games...including some math ones her teacher recommended.
the parental controls are pretty easy, and you can set age restrictions on some stuff too.
We got her the 8G but i wish we had gotten bigger a she has filled it up between her music and all the free games and pictures she takes. We have gotten some games that cost money but she has gotten itunes cards as gifts from people that paid for most of them. i also run it through my itunes account and she does NOT have the password so she cannot download anything..even free apps..without my knowing.

Carolyn DH DD (10) DS (4)DD (4)
4/1984 offsite
10/1995 Honeymoon Grand Floridian
10/2005 Anniversary Weekend at Swan
9/2006 Family trip to Polynesian for 3
9/2012 Family trip to Polynesian for 5!

TinkNH is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: