Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2012, 04:08 PM   #16
penel3
Disney World Addict since 1994

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcooley
Here's my point.

Who is more valuable to DCL? A couple who sails 10 times in a Cat 11A at $1539.24 (June 6, 2013 - 3 night/Bahamas/double occupancy) for a total of $15392.40 or a couple who sails 10 times in a Cat 4d at 12597 (June 2013 - 12 nt/Med cruise/double occupancy) for a total of $125970.

A couple who sails the Med in a 4d twice for a total of $25194 has already spent almost $10k more than the couple in the 11a, but they still have 8 more cruises to go before they get Platinum.

Disney needs to look at not only number of cruises, but number of nights and possibly even amount spent in their rewards programs. Early booking is a great perk (the little gifts are ok but not as nice as early booking new cruises or excursions, etc.) but as mentioned, some will take forever to get to Platinum even though they have spent enough to purchase a small house while cruising.

Some of you are rolling your eyes thinking, "What a whiner." Nope, not a whiner. Just wondering who is more valuable to DCL. One who spends enough to buy a car or one who spends enough to buy a house? I know it can't be made so complicated that you almost have to have an accounting degree to figure out your status (stay 7 nights in a 4d and that earns you X credits toward status but 3 nights in a 11b only gets you Y credits).

Just make it so those who spend the big bucks can get there a little more expediently. Not buying status, but it doesn't cost DCL any more to have a couple in a 11b vs a 4a (not counting concierge as they have dedicated staff, etc. that does add expense to the trip) but they are making a killing on those who want the best non-concierge vs the smallest inside stateroom. A little reciprocated love would be nice.
Totally agree with you!!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
1994 1st time (DH has created a monster)1995 FWL1996 1996 1997 1998 All Star Sports 2001 CBR 2002 OKW 2003 OKW 2003 FWL 2004 Disney Cruise 2004 OKW 2004 OKW 2005 AKL Concierge/Boardwalk Villa (bit by the Concierge bug) 2005 Ft. Wilderness Concierge 2006 OKW 2007 Disney Cruise/AKL Concierge, Feb 09 B-day surprise POP & BWI CL, Sept 2010 Portofino Bay Concierge, Dec 2011 Beach Club Concierge, January 2013 The Disney Wonder, March 2014 The Walter E. Disney Suite on the Disney Wonder
penel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 04:13 PM   #17
linco711
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcooley View Post
Here's my point.

Who is more valuable to DCL? A couple who sails 10 times in a Cat 11A at $1539.24 (June 6, 2013 - 3 night/Bahamas/double occupancy) for a total of $15392.40 or a couple who sails 10 times in a Cat 4d at 12597 (June 2013 - 12 nt/Med cruise/double occupancy) for a total of $125970.

A couple who sails the Med in a 4d twice for a total of $25194 has already spent almost $10k more than the couple in the 11a, but they still have 8 more cruises to go before they get Platinum.

Disney needs to look at not only number of cruises, but number of nights and possibly even amount spent in their rewards programs. Early booking is a great perk (the little gifts are ok but not as nice as early booking new cruises or excursions, etc.) but as mentioned, some will take forever to get to Platinum even though they have spent enough to purchase a small house while cruising.

Some of you are rolling your eyes thinking, "What a whiner." Nope, not a whiner. Just wondering who is more valuable to DCL. One who spends enough to buy a car or one who spends enough to buy a house? I know it can't be made so complicated that you almost have to have an accounting degree to figure out your status (stay 7 nights in a 4d and that earns you X credits toward status but 3 nights in a 11b only gets you Y credits).

Just make it so those who spend the big bucks can get there a little more expediently. Not buying status, but it doesn't cost DCL any more to have a couple in a 11b vs a 4a (not counting concierge as they have dedicated staff, etc. that does add expense to the trip) but they are making a killing on those who want the best non-concierge vs the smallest inside stateroom. A little reciprocated love would be nice.
I totally agree with you, and I am not one who would benefit ...
linco711 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-24-2012, 04:26 PM   #18
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

It's never going to be 100% fair. Maybe there's someone out there who WANTS to do what you're doing, but can't because of their work schedule. They can do what they can do, and maybe they spend HUGE amounts of money in non-room ways while on board, and they are happy to get the perks they get, and not be dinged because they have a job that they can't be away from.

Plus, they are getting shorter cruises, which isn't as much fun as the longer ones, so automatically you're winning, right? More enjoyment?

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 04:30 PM   #19
tajz90
Mama D

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcooley
Here's my point.

Totally agree
tajz90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 04:51 PM   #20
cmclaura
How many more days til our next cruise?????

You're never going to find a completely fair formula because there are just too many variables.

We're Gold and made it with one 3 day cruise, three 7 day cruises, and one 5day cruise. We have B2Bd on that last one, so we had two 5 day cruises B2B, turning us Gold after the first one. It made no difference in pre-booking, but it was nice to know we had a 10% discount in the shops waiting for us, so we didn't buy anything on the first cruise, lol!

Now, being Gold, it's nice to have that little extra time to book onboard dining, excursions, etc. just a little bit after the Platinum folks, and before the Silver CC members. I have noticed a difference in things being available at the Gold timing level over the Silver.

But, really, it's all about the fun in reaching the levels. We did another cruise in August and will be doing a 3 and 4 day B2B in January....we'll be up to 9. Just one more and then the following one, we'll get that free Palo dinner! A thrill, to be sure, LOL!

YES! We are DVC Members! Since February 2009! Best thing we ever did! WONDER 1/17-20/2008 3 Night Bahamas MAGIC 1/17-24/2009 7 Night Eastern Caribbean MAGIC 1/9-16/2020 7 Night Western Caribbean MAGIC 1/8-15/2011 7 Night Western Caribbean
DREAM 12/20/2011-1/3/2012 5 Night Double Dip New Year’s Eve Bahamas DREAM 1/3-8/2012 5 Night Double Dip Back to Back Bahamas MAGIC 8/5-10/2012 5 Night NYC to Canada DREAM 1/6-10/2013 4 Night Bahamas
DREAM 1/10-13/2013 3 Night Bahamas DVC Member Cruise WDW 10/19-24/2013 Visit with Daughter in Disney College Program FANTASY 2/1-8/2014 7 Night Western Caribbean PLATINUM!!! and GRAND SLAM MEMBERS! NEXT CRUISE is DREAM 1/9/15 3 Night Bahamas and then WONDER 7/6/15 7 Night ALASKA!
cmclaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:38 PM   #21
krispykreme97
Mouseketeer

I've only done 2 3-day cruises with a 7-day cruise planned for June! I'm looking forward to Gold status and if it wasn't for me being bored with the 3-day itinerary I would keep going until I reach Platnium. Carnival just re-structured their loyalty program using number of days which I am currently gold on with 6 cruises totaling 30 days and added a few more perks such as a few beverage, a pin, and a private party. On Disney I'm just happy to get a lanyard and am envious of those with the gold and Platnium lanyards!

Last edited by krispykreme97; 09-24-2012 at 06:40 PM. Reason: Spell check
krispykreme97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:36 AM   #22
cwdefouw
DVC Member since 1999

Royal Caribbean's loyalty plan used to be similar to Disney's (based on number of cruises). They had several important differences though, cruises 10 nights or longer counted as two credits and sailing in a suite for any length cruise counted as two credits. They have since switched to a nights based plan and I suspect that Disney will eventually move that direction as well, but in the meantime, wouldn't it be nice if Disney implemented those two changes, at least then, those sailing the longer cruises or staying in suites would feel like they are getting an added value for their larger dollar spend.

If you are listening Disney...

1. Cruises longer than 10 nights should get two CC credits
2. Any cruise in a suite should get two CC credits
3. 10 days or longer in a suite gets four CC credits

Benefit to guests...
1. More dollars spent on longer cruises and on suites means gaining CC levels faster. Those guests spending more dollars are thus rewarded to a small extent for spending those additional dollars on Disney and not on some other cruise line.

cwdefouw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 04:52 PM   #23
Calfan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcooley View Post
Here's my point.

I also completely agree with this. Just completed my 4th DCL cruise, and I have cruised a total of 30 days (2 7-days, 1 11-day and 1 5-day).

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwdefouw View Post
Royal Caribbean's loyalty plan used to be similar to Disney's (based on number of cruises). They had several important differences though, cruises 10 nights or longer counted as two credits and sailing in a suite for any length cruise counted as two credits. They have since switched to a nights based plan and I suspect that Disney will eventually move that direction as well, but in the meantime, wouldn't it be nice if Disney implemented those two changes, at least then, those sailing the longer cruises or staying in suites would feel like they are getting an added value for their larger dollar spend.

If you are listening Disney...

1. Cruises longer than 10 nights should get two CC credits
2. Any cruise in a suite should get two CC credits
3. 10 days or longer in a suite gets four CC credits

Benefit to guests...
1. More dollars spent on longer cruises and on suites means gaining CC levels faster. Those guests spending more dollars are thus rewarded to a small extent for spending those additional dollars on Disney and not on some other cruise line.
I also like this idea, but it would be nice if 7-day cruises could also be rewarded a little extra.

MAGIC June 20-27, 2009 (Eastern Caribbean) MAGIC June 18-29, 2011 (Med) WONDER August 6-13, 2012 (Alaska) MAGIC September 7-12, 2012 (Canada) FANTASY April 13-20, 2013 (Western Caribbean) ABD Scotland: A Brave Adventure August 4-12, 2013 WONDER May 19-24, 2014 (San Diego to Vancouver) ABD Austria, Germany & Czech Republic July 5-13, 2014 DREAM November 24-28, 2014 (Bahamas) WONDER May 15-17, 2015 (San Diego) B2B with WONDER May 17-20, 2015 (Ensenada) MAGIC June 29-July 10, 2015 (North Norwegian Fjords and Iceland) B2B with MAGIC July 10-22, 2015 (Baltics) with ABD add-on
Calfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 05:28 PM   #24
AlexandNessa
Proud Redhead
Does anyone know what I'm talking about?
Must sleep barefoot
HEY EVERYONE...THIS IS A SECRET...SHE HATED THE MUMMY MOVIE

Personally, I like the way HAL does it better. One point per night, plus one bonus point per night in a suite, plus one bonus point per every 300$ spent onboard (pre spends for shorex, upcharge dinners, etc. included). But then again their perks are meaningful to me.

DCL could take away the CC perks for all I care; they mean that little to me the way they stand now. After our next two cruises, we get a comped Palo service charge. Big deal. That is like 0.0003% of the cumulative money we've spent on DCL so far to reach platinum. We typically book concierge so we get the same advance onboard booking window and same priority check-in as platinum anyway. Unless DCL makes the perks more worthwhile to me, I can honestly say they could trash the whole program, and I wouldn't even blink. And I don't see DCL giving better perks when evidence of cut backs is already in place. With the exception of Palo dinner and an extra CC gift, DCL doesn't offer anything that costs them $$ anyway, as far as current CC perks go.
Old 09-25-2012, 05:55 PM   #25
disney1990
Wow, it make my heart skip a beat
I'm going to miss these when the season ends
Lighting the Way to Paradise

My question is, what are you going to do with all the people that have reached Gold status already? Grandfather them in?

disney1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:21 PM   #26
DMMarla07860
DIS Veteran

I've done 1- 2 night cruise, 5- 3 night cruises, 2- 4 night cruises, 1- 6 night cruise, 7- 7 night cruises, and 1- 8 night cruise and reached platinum. I'm hoping to maybe book another 3 or 4 night cruise to reach 20 cruises by the end of 2013, already got B2B booked on Fantasy in March 2013 so 2 more 7 nights. For most of my shorter cruises we had different reasons for doing them and we can pretty much get away most of the time when we want. Status really doesn't matter to me,
July 14th-18th, 2002- 3 Night Resort and 4 Night Disney Wonder Cruise, April 23rd-30th, 2005- 7 Night Disney Magic Western Cruise, August 19th-26th, 2006- 7 Night Disney Magic Western Double Dip Cruise, September 6th-9th, 2007- 3 Night Disney Wonder Cruise, July 13th- 20th, 2008- Mexican Riviera Disney Magic Cruise, February 21st-28th, 2009- 7 Night Disney Magic Western Cruise, February 28th-March 7th, 2009- 7 Night Disney Magic Eastern Cruise, August 27th-30th, 2009- 3 Night Disney Wonder Cruise, December 10th-13th, 2009- 3 Night Disney Wonder Cruise, March 6th-13th, 2010- 7 Night Disney Magic Western Cruise, February 17th-20th, 2011- 3 Night Disney Dream Cruise, February 20th-24th, 2011- 4 Night Disney Dream Cruise, April 27th-May 3rd, 2011- 6 Night LA to Vancouver Disney Wonder Cruise
February 16th-19th, 2012- 3 Night Disney Dream Cruise, April 21st-28th, 2012- 7 Night Disney Fantasy Eastern Cruise(first one),
June 15th-17th, 2012- 2 Night Disney Magic Cruise(NYC), August 17th- 25th, 2012- 8 Night Disney Magic Cruise(NYC)March 16th-23rd, 2013-7 Night Disney Fantasy Western March 23rd-30th, 2013-Disney Fantasy EasternUpcoming Cruises: November 20th-24th, 2013- Disney Magic
DMMarla07860 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:40 PM   #27
MariaTia
Mouseketeer

I disagree - it is just fine the way Disney Cruise Line made the plan - otherwise, they would not have made it that way. I am positive Disney Cruise Line put a lot of effort and stats into making their decision, way more than someone on the Disboards has. Anyway, if you don't agree with the policy - find a cruise line that you do agree with or as the say, just move along....

MariaTia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:57 PM   #28
ditty3199
Earning My Ears

That is we opted for a 10 day over the 7day we have become accustomed to. b2B2B on the dream. That will make us gold.
ditty3199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:11 PM   #29
Lake_Mary
Mouseketeer

So, what benefits have they recently changed for gold and/or platinum CC cruisers?

I happen to believe that vacationers who spend tens of thousands of dollars to reach platinum and have the opportunity to cruise often.. Regardless of the category purchased.. Should be rewarded with a pretty nice package.

2/11/12 Magic Eastern, Pirates IN the Caribbean Cruisers

Fantasy booked! 3/2/2013 Sailing away on the Western Itinerary
Lake_Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:24 PM   #30
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake_Mary View Post
So, what benefits have they recently changed for gold and/or platinum CC cruisers?

I happen to believe that vacationers who spend tens of thousands of dollars to reach platinum and have the opportunity to cruise often.. Regardless of the category purchased.. Should be rewarded with a pretty nice package.
May 2012, onboard credit for rebooking 7 night cruise decreased from $350 to $200.

Early 2012, elimination of "platinum Experience" behind the scenes program
Shopping discount changed from $25 off any purchase of $100 or more purchased at one time to 10% off (this could be better or worse depending on size of purchase!)

Most other benefits changed to "gift with purchase." For instance, free bingo cards with purchase of 4 game series, 2 free photos with purchase of CD, $10 off 3 day rainforest pass.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: