Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2012, 12:41 PM   #1
kcooley
Earning My Ears

Attaining CC Status

Just a poll of sorts. My wife and I are Gold CC members with 6 cruises under our belts. We have 2 B2B in January that will put us at 8 total. The catch is, we will have 49 nights on-board at that point (we currently have 42).

My question is, how many people attain Platinum by doing 10 3-night cruises instead of 10 longer cruises? We had table mates on our last cruise that were Platinum because they did a bunch of 3 night cruises just to stack the deck toward status. Hmm, we've sailed 42 nights and are only just now Gold and they've sailed 30 and are enjoying the Platinum perks.

Airlines reward loyalty by either miles flown or segments flown (Delta for instance). So, those who don't do long-haul flights but fly multiple segments still get status. As far as DCL, those of us who have spent many more nights on the ships than some Platinums won't see that status for a while. In theory, you could sail 110 days in a Cat T or something and only just make platinum (10 11-night Med cruises for instance) vs the person who sails 10 3-nighters in an Inside State Room and gets the perks. They spend much less money and much less time on-board but get the status.

What gives? How many people have Platinum status based mostly (if not totally) on 3-night cruises?
kcooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:43 PM   #2
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Only DCL has this info. My guess is not too many because many of us love long cruises.

On the other hand, when the levels first were announced (October, 2009) there were people doing a series of B2B 3/4 night cruises to get their status up. Honestly, with the recent reductions in platinum benefits, I'm not sure it's that big a deal.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-24-2012, 12:46 PM   #3
jilljill
Collects Disney men!
I had to go and write a novel didn't I?!
Come on over and join our thread

Location: 13-14½ hours drive from WDW - depending on who is driving (lol) OR 5 minutes!

Sce DCL started out by doing only doing 3 and 4 night cruises, there will be many cruisers that have a lot of short cruises under their belt.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:47 PM   #4
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran

I cant be the only one who thinks it is silly that people would go on a cruise just to get their Castaway Club level up. Maybe they just enjoy the shorter cruises. Or that is what they can afford.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:57 PM   #5
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jilljill View Post
Sce DCL started out by doing only doing 3 and 4 night cruises, there will be many cruisers that have a lot of short cruises under their belt.
Yes, but that didn't last long. The 7 night cruises were announced when we were on board in December 1999. I don't remember exactly when the first one set sail. Our first 7 night was September, 2000. And with the cost of those first season cruises, I can't imagine too many people booked multiples!
Old 09-24-2012, 01:07 PM   #6
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

DCL has offered some two-night cruises to nowhere and they count toward Castaway Cay status -- just the same as the Hawaiian cruises and the Panama Canal cruises.

I really wish that any cruise over 10 days would get double credit, but....

In a few more weeks we'll finally reach gold status, after a total of 51 days with DCL.

It's true the perks aren't quite what they used to be, but I would like to be able to book shore excursions and any new itineraries asap.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:39 PM   #7
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

I just reached platinum and never did a 3 night cruise. I've done a 4 night.

The others were four 7 nights, one 10 night, one 12 night, two 14 nights and a 15 night.

Never occurred to me to be bothered that someone else could reach the same status by doing ten 3 night cruises.
Old 09-24-2012, 02:41 PM   #8
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdb in AZ View Post
DCL has offered some two-night cruises to nowhere and they count toward Castaway Cay status -- just the same as the Hawaiian cruises and the Panama Canal cruises.

I really wish that any cruise over 10 days would get double credit, but....

In a few more weeks we'll finally reach gold status, after a total of 51 days with DCL.

It's true the perks aren't quite what they used to be, but I would like to be able to book shore excursions and any new itineraries asap.
I hear you. We finally made Gold, and have 53 days.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:57 PM   #9
foohpah
Mouseketeer

I doubt that many people have made platinum with 10 3-night cruises. However, even if 90% of them did it really should not matter. Every one of us could do the exact same thing if we chose to so it is not as if there is not an 'even' playing field. Some people choose to take 3 night cruises - others choose only 10+ night cruises. Personally I don't understand why anyone cares what status anyone else is or how they got that status.

Next trip: WDW and Universal - June/July 2014

WDW - Dec 1999, May 2000, Jan 2001, May 2001, Feb 2004, Feb 2006, Nov 2007, Jun 2009, May 2010, Jun 2011
DCL - Wonder - Feb 2006, Magic - Dec 2006 & Dec 2008, Dream - Jun 2011, Fantasy - Nov 2012
foohpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 04:22 PM   #10
cruisecrasher
DIS Veteran

I've only done a 3 night but my next two are 7&8 night itineraries. I'd schedule a 3 or 4 again only if I weren't taking the kids (to minimize babysitting time, I'd love longer but grandmas not quite up for that.)
I don't see what it matters. If they set it at 50 nights, the people with a ton of cruises that were shorter wouldn't be happy. If they set it at $5,000 in passage, people would be unhappy that royal cabins and shorter cruises are favored.
Basically it's an arbitrary way to make many return customers happy, which generally I'm in favor of doing.
cruisecrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 04:24 PM   #11
tajz90
Mama D

I am one of those that really think that anything longer than 8 nights should be counted at 2 cruises. We have spent 52 nights and we're only at 7 cruises. Since they reduced the amount of onboard credit for the different levels of castaway club, the only reason it matters to me is I would like a chance at the prime spa times . I know, to have such worries!!!!!!
tajz90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 04:29 PM   #12
cruisecrasher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tajz90
I am one of those that really think that anything longer than 8 nights should be counted at 2 cruises. We have spent 52 nights and we're only at 7 cruises. Since they reduced the amount of onboard credit for the different levels of castaway club, the only reason it matters to me is I would like a chance at the prime spa times . I know, to have such worries!!!!!!
Spa appointments are important!
cruisecrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 04:30 PM   #13
kcashner
DIS Veteran

No matter how DCL did their loyalty program, there would always be people who were unhappy. And we'd each like the program that favored our particular blend of cruises.

They don't have to give us anything for coming back. While I really don't like that they cut the benefits (we do become accustomed), I'm glad we get something. As others have pointed out, it is easier to keep an existing customer than to recruit a new one. But on the other hand, higher level return guests generate less in onboard spending per capita than newbies. Guess that means we bought our t-shirts the first time.
Old 09-24-2012, 04:33 PM   #14
linco711
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcooley View Post
Just a poll of sorts. My wife and I are Gold CC members with 6 cruises under our belts. We have 2 B2B in January that will put us at 8 total. The catch is, we will have 49 nights on-board at that point (we currently have 42).

My question is, how many people attain Platinum by doing 10 3-night cruises instead of 10 longer cruises? We had table mates on our last cruise that were Platinum because they did a bunch of 3 night cruises just to stack the deck toward status. Hmm, we've sailed 42 nights and are only just now Gold and they've sailed 30 and are enjoying the Platinum perks.

Airlines reward loyalty by either miles flown or segments flown (Delta for instance). So, those who don't do long-haul flights but fly multiple segments still get status. As far as DCL, those of us who have spent many more nights on the ships than some Platinums won't see that status for a while. In theory, you could sail 110 days in a Cat T or something and only just make platinum (10 11-night Med cruises for instance) vs the person who sails 10 3-nighters in an Inside State Room and gets the perks. They spend much less money and much less time on-board but get the status.

What gives? How many people have Platinum status based mostly (if not totally) on 3-night cruises?
I agree..should be based on number of nights onboard or 7 days cruises and above should count as double to the 3-4 nite cruises..And sorry, but yes it does matter!! Even small perks are better than none IMO..
linco711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 04:34 PM   #15
kcooley
Earning My Ears

Here's my point.

Who is more valuable to DCL? A couple who sails 10 times in a Cat 11A at $1539.24 (June 6, 2013 - 3 night/Bahamas/double occupancy) for a total of $15392.40 or a couple who sails 10 times in a Cat 4d at 12597 (June 2013 - 12 nt/Med cruise/double occupancy) for a total of $125970.

A couple who sails the Med in a 4d twice for a total of $25194 has already spent almost $10k more than the couple in the 11a, but they still have 8 more cruises to go before they get Platinum.

Disney needs to look at not only number of cruises, but number of nights and possibly even amount spent in their rewards programs. Early booking is a great perk (the little gifts are ok but not as nice as early booking new cruises or excursions, etc.) but as mentioned, some will take forever to get to Platinum even though they have spent enough to purchase a small house while cruising.

Some of you are rolling your eyes thinking, "What a whiner." Nope, not a whiner. Just wondering who is more valuable to DCL. One who spends enough to buy a car or one who spends enough to buy a house? I know it can't be made so complicated that you almost have to have an accounting degree to figure out your status (stay 7 nights in a 4d and that earns you X credits toward status but 3 nights in a 11b only gets you Y credits).

Just make it so those who spend the big bucks can get there a little more expediently. Not buying status, but it doesn't cost DCL any more to have a couple in a 11b vs a 4a (not counting concierge as they have dedicated staff, etc. that does add expense to the trip) but they are making a killing on those who want the best non-concierge vs the smallest inside stateroom. A little reciprocated love would be nice.
kcooley is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: