Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2012, 10:03 PM   #31
Valista
Earning My Ears

When it was just my husband and I and one child a Sam's Club membership wasn't worth it. Now that I have 3 kids and my mother living with us, it is worth it. We save on milk, bread and produce. Chicken is the cost of the grocery store's on sale, but I don't have to wait for the sale. I can also find lean ground turkey at Sam's for a reasonable price where as it's very expensive at my local store.
Valista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:02 PM   #32
dakcp2001
Am I wrong to want a cashier and bagger?
Chicken wings are his crack

We love BJS. I use manufacturers coupons and the store coupons. We definitely buy extra stuff though. It is hard not to get sucked in when you see something you like in giant sized! But overall if you just use it for saving money there are some items you can get a good deal on. You just have to be careful not to pick up extra stuff.
dakcp2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-28-2012, 09:46 AM   #33
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irin997 View Post
I do have to say that just buying milk there saves me $1.50 per gallon. So if you think about it, we use about 1.5 gallons of milk per week which saves me $117 per year, which more than pays for my $100 a year membership fee.
If you live close enough that just going for a few things that are cheaper, that's great! But gas at $350+ a gal. can quickly diminish savings if you don't. Also, the stores in our area regularly discount milk, so that would not be a savings for me. Also, there is only a .50 difference in a gal. of milk here. Most of the people here I talk to say they don't even check the "unit" price, but the bulk deal "sounds" good and lasts a while. My coupons, plus sales, makes most brand names cheaper/free - I also shop in advance, so can usually wait for sales/coupon deals on most items. I never pay more than $1.75 - $1.99 lb. for boneless chicken breasts - this week Harris Teeter has whole ones for $.69 lb. I love grocery shopping (weird, I know) and it's almost a "game" to me to monitor my savings. We actually take a very good vacation a year on what I save
I could really save more, but I am not an extreme couponer with a notebook that goes into stores - I'm just a "regular joe"!
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:19 AM   #34
Irin997
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by North of Mouse View Post
If you live close enough that just going for a few things that are cheaper, that's great! But gas at $350+ a gal. can quickly diminish savings if you don't. Also, the stores in our area regularly discount milk, so that would not be a savings for me. Also, there is only a .50 difference in a gal. of milk here. Most of the people here I talk to say they don't even check the "unit" price, but the bulk deal "sounds" good and lasts a while. My coupons, plus sales, makes most brand names cheaper/free - I also shop in advance, so can usually wait for sales/coupon deals on most items. I never pay more than $1.75 - $1.99 lb. for boneless chicken breasts - this week Harris Teeter has whole ones for $.69 lb. I love grocery shopping (weird, I know) and it's almost a "game" to me to monitor my savings. We actually take a very good vacation a year on what I save
I could really save more, but I am not an extreme couponer with a notebook that goes into stores - I'm just a "regular joe"!
Wow that's great! It definitely depends on your market location if a wholesale club is "worth" it to you. We are luck enough that BJ's is maybe a 10 minute drive away for us, which is why we go weekly. I usually try and stock up on items that have coupons that week/month vs buying when we are out of the item in order to save money.

I wish our local grocery store would discount meat that much! A "deal" on boneless chicken breasts at BJ's is the regular price, $20 for a 10lb bag. That's the sale price at Giant for us.
Irin997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:45 AM   #35
mrodgers
DIS Veteran

We do all our shopping at Walmart because the grocery store would cost twice as much. I would love to use Sam's Club because Walmart meat is garbage and Sam's is very good. Problem is, Sam's is 40 minutes in the other direction from home, so can't go to Walmart or the grocery store and go to Sam's.

I don't have enough time after work (we both work near town where Sam's Club is) as I have to get home before Wifey leaves for work. She can't stop because it closes at 8 and she works until 11.

Pricewise, it seemed to be about 2/3 the cost of what we would buy at Walmart. Stuff we use seemed to come in a package of 3 and the cost was the same as buying 2 at Walmart.

I have a smoker and we have a lot of summer picnics (heck, I grill and smoke in the winter too) and I do miss having the packages of ribs and pork shoulders at Sam's. I can't justify the price of that stuff in the grocery store and at Walmart, the quality is just too sub-par along with a bit more expensive. We let our membership run out because we could never find the time to get there.
mrodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:05 PM   #36
RedHeadedFairy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakcp2001 View Post
We love BJS. I use manufacturers coupons and the store coupons. We definitely buy extra stuff though. It is hard not to get sucked in when you see something you like in giant sized! But overall if you just use it for saving money there are some items you can get a good deal on. You just have to be careful not to pick up extra stuff.
I have both - Sam's through my employer & BJ's personally. I like both for different reasons. Sometimes I consider my savings to be the time saved by buying in bulk & not making additional trips to the store.

I definitely see savings in gas, milk, meats..... most people don't realize that BJ's accepts manufacturer's coupons OR that they'll allow you to stack them along with their in-store coupons which sometimes is a BIG savings on paper towels, TP, laundry & dish detergents, etc.

I'm also lucky because I pass both stores daily during mywork commute so it's never out of the way. (That would definitely reduce my savings)
Old 09-28-2012, 05:17 PM   #37
dakcp2001
Am I wrong to want a cashier and bagger?
Chicken wings are his crack

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHeadedFairy View Post
I have both - Sam's through my employer & BJ's personally. I like both for different reasons. Sometimes I consider my savings to be the time saved by buying in bulk & not making additional trips to the store.

I definitely see savings in gas, milk, meats..... most people don't realize that BJ's accepts manufacturer's coupons OR that they'll allow you to stack them along with their in-store coupons which sometimes is a BIG savings on paper towels, TP, laundry & dish detergents, etc.

I'm also lucky because I pass both stores daily during mywork commute so it's never out of the way. (That would definitely reduce my savings)
We do this too, and it usually ends up giving us GREAT deals on toothpaste, shampoo, lotions etc. If there are 3 boxes of toothpaste in the bulk item, you can use 3 manufacturers coupon PLUS a BJs coupon. We saved $19 in coupons last time. We also get a much better price on 93% lean ground beef, and I break it up into 1lbs and freeze them. I also really love that it allows us to shop less.
dakcp2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:07 PM   #38
Ahrizel
Mouseketeer

My husband and I take antihistamines on a daily basis. We buy the generic versions of zyrtec and claritin there. The bottles are approx a years supply, and the difference on price on those alone more then make up the price of membership at Sam's for us. Cheese and meats are what we buy most there, along with seasonal items. There seasonal selections always vary, but what they have is good quality for a good price. Milk is no savings, Pa sets minimum prices on milk, there are no milk sales. And gas is usually a good price too. For the meds alone we come out ahead on the price of membership, so anything else we get is a bonus. Electronics are often a Sam's purchase also. You do have to check prices, just because it is bigger packages, does not mean it's cheaper. I've seen Walmart cheaper. But sometimes they are the best game in town. For what we get, it is worth it. Costco and BJ's are at least a 90 minute drive for us, so I have no experience with them.
Mary
Ahrizel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:53 PM   #39
kirstenb1
DIS Veteran

I buy things there like juice boxes, Horizons individual chocolate milks, cheese, almonds, candy, produce, bulk meats. All of these are cheaper than my local grocery store. I also buy things like socks, and underwear, and swimsuits for the kids there. I buy my tires there.

As a bonus, we do a fair amount of entertaining, and contributing to our local food pantry. For entertaining, I can buy appetizers, wine/beer/sodas and produce so much cheaper than anywhere else. For the food pantry, I can buy 6 or 12 packs of soup, chili, canned veggies, canned fruit, 3 packs of marinara sauce, etc. So our our family of 4, it makes great sense.
kirstenb1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:22 PM   #40
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irin997 View Post
Wow that's great! It definitely depends on your market location if a wholesale club is "worth" it to you. We are luck enough that BJ's is maybe a 10 minute drive away for us, which is why we go weekly. I usually try and stock up on items that have coupons that week/month vs buying when we are out of the item in order to save money.

I wish our local grocery store would discount meat that much! A "deal" on boneless chicken breasts at BJ's is the regular price, $20 for a 10lb bag. That's the sale price at Giant for us.
We lived in Gaithersburg, MD for 6 yrs. when my DH was transferred there, and I remember how upset I was at the time because my only grocery stores were Giant & Safeway. I have been so fortunate to live in areas where there are lots of competition, that's what generates lower prices, coupon deals, etc. There are 4 main grocery chains, plus Aldi's, big box stores, warehouse grocers, etc. in the Raleigh, NC area. I share my savings with my sister that lives in a very rural area with no hope of coupon doubling, or very much in the way of sales. I'm sorry you don't have these at your disposal too.
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:22 PM   #41
sherry7
DIS Veteran

I like Sam's Club, but I have a selected list of products that I buy there. Not everything is a good deal, in my opinion.

If you have a baby, then diapers, wipes, formula, etc will save you enough to pay for your membership. Gas is usually around 5 cents a gallon cheaper, sometimes more. Their meat is sometimes cheaper, sometimes not, but the quality is always far superior to what I can get at most grocery stores. I frequently buy their whole boneless pork loins when they're around $2 a lb. The butcher will cut them for free, and I get them cut into chops. This ends up being around $1 a lb cheaper than buying actual boneless chops.

Some of the produce is way too big for my family of 4. But, I can buy a huge bag of pre-cut lettuce for about the same as what a small bag costs elsewhere. (I'd have to buy 2 of the small bags.) Even if I end up throwing part of it away, I've still saved money. I don't like throwing food out though, so I'll usually give part of it to my mom.

Some more of my regular purchases: milk, bread, big tubs of Greek yogurt, fresh salsa, salt & pepper grinders, canned chicken, birthday cakes, cupcakes for special occasions, rotisserie chickens, their brand of toilet paper, cat litter, dishwasher detergent, vitamins, shrimp, frozen biscuits, etc.
sherry7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:48 AM   #42
mrodgers
DIS Veteran

Note the gas is 5 cents cheaper right around the store. "Local" Sam's Club to me is more than the gas station closer to work and the same price as Premium is where I live. I need to use Premium, so I just drive past home 5 miles rather than run an extra 5 miles to Sam's Club and back home.
mrodgers is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: