Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2012, 10:28 AM   #1
Button
A princess waiting for Cinders to ship on out of that castle.

Finger scanners - 3 year old

Hi,

Does a 3 year old still need to do the finger scanner at the entry turnstiles?

We seem to have hard enough trouble getting that darn machine to recognise mine and DH fingers.

Button is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:29 AM   #2
DisneyBrooke81
Mouseketeer

No. We were there in August and my 3 and 6 year old did not use them.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-24-2012, 10:32 AM   #3
Button
A princess waiting for Cinders to ship on out of that castle.

Cool, one less thing to stress over.

Button is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:50 AM   #4
SmallWorld71
DIS Veteran

In case you were wondering: children start using the finger scanner once they start using the adult ticket at age 10 and up

SmallWorld71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 04:33 PM   #5
tadamom
DIS Veteran

Ditto what pp said. Just got back this weekend and DD never had to do the fingerscan.
June 2004 - Michael's 1st trip to Disney World -- Old Key West May 2007 - Parker's 1st trip to Disney World -- Pop Century & 4 nights @ SSR Grand Villa October 2009 - Saratoga Springs Resort with the whole fam! October 2010 - All Star Movies --1st family trip with just the 4 of us!!! Awesome!
September 2012 - All Star Sports w/the whole family! B'day trip for Michael!
[COLOR="Lime"]November 2013 - Coronado Springs! B'day trip for Parker![/COLORMarch 2014 - 1 night at Pop Century for SIL's Disney wedding!

tadamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:40 PM   #6
angelmom27
DIS Veteran

Actually they have had children use the finger scanner too. When I took my dd she was 5 and they made her use the scanner. Now my younger one didn't have to. At three they won't have them use it. I agree those things are a pain in the butt.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:27 PM   #7
WantToGoNow
DIS Veteran

On our last trip the kids were 7 and 9 and they both had to scan every day - this was last October.
WantToGoNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:12 PM   #8
Bitsmommy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallWorld71
In case you were wondering: children start using the finger scanner once they start using the adult ticket at age 10 and up
I thought that this was the case too, but last time we were there, my then 5 year old used them. Maybe because he saw us using it and insisted. I don't know, but he totally knew the routine and did it every time???
Old 09-24-2012, 10:48 PM   #9
SmallWorld71
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitsmommy View Post
I thought that this was the case too, but last time we were there, my then 5 year old used them. Maybe because he saw us using it and insisted. I don't know, but he totally knew the routine and did it every time???
Well then, I don't know. I assume you just had regular tickets through your Disney resort or did you have another type of ticket?
My kids never had to do it, but things certainly do change. Our "baby" will be 10 on our next trip, so it doesn't matter for us. But, I'd be interested in knowing because people are always asking me Disney questions. Of course, I'm the only one that ever seems to have problems with the dang thing! I never remember which finger I've used!

Old 09-24-2012, 10:52 PM   #10
seashoreCM
All around nice guy.

The original reason for children not to use the finger scanner was that growth in their fingers since the last vacation resulted in different scan data.

The new scan data (one-finger scanners versus the older two-finger scanners) relies more on the fingerprint rather than the finger size and may be less affected by childrens' growth.

Also the vast majority of tickets sold nowadays do not ahve non-expiration added, so a child's growth does not come into play.

(Scan data is digested down to a single 3 or 4 digit number and it is not possible to recreate a fingerprint using it.)
Today's riddle: Q: Why are there these 20 foot timber or stucco walls between the freeway and people's back yards? A: So people living there don't put up huge Christmas light displays and distract passing motorists.
seashoreCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:10 AM   #11
SmallWorld71
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by seashoreCM View Post
The original reason for children not to use the finger scanner was that growth in their fingers since the last vacation resulted in different scan data.

The new scan data (one-finger scanners versus the older two-finger scanners) relies more on the fingerprint rather than the finger size and may be less affected by childrens' growth.

Also the vast majority of tickets sold nowadays do not ahve non-expiration added, so a child's growth does not come into play.

(Scan data is digested down to a single 3 or 4 digit number and it is not possible to recreate a fingerprint using it.)
Thanks for the info!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: