Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2012, 09:12 AM   #1
goincrusin
Earning My Ears

Change GTY Assignment

I just got my GTY assignment for my Feb 2013 cruise on the Fantasy. I am assigned room 5024 which has a balcony, but the neighbors balcony (room 5026) extends further out and can see into room 5024. Other threads have stated not to book this room, I did not have a choice since I booked a GTY room. I paid for this room with DVC points and cash. Does anyone know if I can upgrade to another room since I booked through DVC? If I do upgrade will i have to pay the $95 fee again? Is there any chance that this room assignment will be changed once it has been assigned?

[/url]
goincrusin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:39 AM   #2
disneyxperts
Formerly "OH 6" on the Dis

Hi Cyndi!

We are in a similar situation and have already done some work, so I'll share what we know for now.

We booked with DVC points in Cat 10 Gty. We got a Cat 10 cabin assigned, but we don't like the location of the room. I called DVC. They told me that that if there's another cabin listed on the DCL site that she can call DCL and have them move me to that room if it's in the same category...and there's no $95 fee to stay in the same category but just change rooms.

Here's where it get's complicated/interesting: We can ask for a different room in a different category. Once you ask to change categories they will charge you the $95 fee. So you only want to do this if you see a cabin you want in that category...if not it'll be GTY and you could end in a similar situation again.

She told me that if we 'downgrade' to a Cat 11 as an example, then we would get the difference in points back as reservation points...but we have to do that before the final payment date at 75 days out...once we're in the penalty period downgrading doesn't get you points back. Doesn't really affect you if you're upgrading.

So everyday I check on the DCL site to see if there are any Cat 10 rooms available....until now all they are selling is GTY. I'm hoping that once the final pmt date passes next week some 'hold' ressies will cancel and open up an actual room for us to switch to...if not we'll make the best of it.

Last thing to note - odds of a 'free/pixie dust' upgrade are slim to none with DVC points. There's a separate thread running right now and no one has been upgraded on DVC points...so don't count on that happening if you want to be really happy with your room assignment.

Hope this helps.

disneyxperts is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-24-2012, 09:47 AM   #3
eva
Often uses her unique ability to shut down threads.

DIS Veteran

We were upgraded for free using DVC points. They upgraded us from a cat 5 to a cat 4 on the Med cruise two years ago. The ship was pretty empty though.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:15 AM   #4
squirrel
DIS Veteran

How full is your cruise? You could wait until boarding and see if you can upgrade.

We got bad information when checking in for our cruise and were told to go to Guest Services on the ship for upgrades. When we got there they couldn't do anything until we set sail. When we went back at 4:30ish, they had a better price than we should have gotten at port. We were able to upgrade to a verandah that had a larger verandah.
WDW (Pop) Sept. 5-19 2008 Free Dining
WDW (Pop) Oct. 1-15 2009 Free Dining
WDW (Pop) Sept. 30-Oct. 14 2010 Free Dining
WDW (Pop-BC) Sept. 29-Oct. 13 2011 Free Dining
Wonder and DLR (BWPPI) Sept. 10-20 2012
Wonder and DLR (DI&S) Sept. 9-21 2013
squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:46 AM   #5
goincrusin
Earning My Ears

Thanks for the reply. How do you see on the DCL site what rooms in your category are still available?

[/url]
Old 09-24-2012, 12:52 PM   #6
Momma2Jax
DIS Veteran

When you look at your reservation summary, you can click "modify" then go under the stateroom tab, and click "select" or "change" sometimes even when it's an assigned gty, some room numbers will come up to choose. If none come up, that means the one you were assigned is the only option at that point.

When our GTY was assigned, I did that and had 3 choices of rooms.

Me DH DS 5

Momma2Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:57 PM   #7
jilljill
Collects Disney men!
I had to go and write a novel didn't I?!
Come on over and join our thread

Location: 13-14½ hours drive from WDW - depending on who is driving (lol) OR 5 minutes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma2Jax View Post
When you look at your reservation summary, you can click "modify" then go under the stateroom tab, and click "select" or "change" sometimes even when it's an assigned gty, some room numbers will come up to choose. If none come up, that means the one you were assigned is the only option at that point.

When our GTY was assigned, I did that and had 3 choices of rooms.
This only works if you book directly thru DCL. Since the OP booked thru DVC, they are their travel agent and can't use this function.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:32 PM   #8
Momma2Jax
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jilljill

This only works if you book directly thru DCL. Since the OP booked thru DVC, they are their travel agent and can't use this function.
Oh sorry, I missed that!

Me DH DS 5

Momma2Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:10 PM   #9
kcashner
DIS Veteran

You can go on line as if you are making a reservation, put in your category, and see what rooms appear. If you see one you want, call MS and have them call DCL.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:52 AM   #10
goincrusin
Earning My Ears

Thanks for the help. I called DVC yesterday and they were able to call DCL and change my room to a room on deck 9. I had to wait on hold for 25 minutes and the new room still has an obstructed view, but the neighbors deck does not extend further than ours. No upgrade with our GTY room.

[/url]

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: