Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2012, 10:09 AM   #1
lucifie
DIS Veteran

What are your thoughts on shoes and socks

We are a family of 6 going to WDW in January. Shoes are a major priority and since we only have 3.5 months left we're running out of time to get good shoes broken in on time. I don't want to get multiple pairs of expensive shoes if i can avoid it.

My major concern is my back. If I don't have shoes that fit me well it makes my back hurt and that is usually what slows me down. My DH has the same problem. Our plan is to go to a shoe store that will fit us properly and hopefully they will be able to set us up with shoes that will be great for us. This summer I got a new pair of sneakers and they're pretty good, but they're not *the* shoes. I'll probably take those as a backup pair.

From what I'm told, January weather is unpredictable at best. I've seen people recommend Crocs and that's appealing to me because they're waterproof, so if it's rainy or we decide it's warm enough for water rides they'll dry quickly and you can wear them with or without socks.

I've also seen people recommend Keen or Teva sandals. Again, they would be great for water rides or rainy days, but not so great if it's cold.

A good pair of sneakers would probably be most useful, but not good for rainy days. I could take a cheap pair of flip flops for the water rides, though. I have also read that you can scotch guard your shoes and that will help to keep them dry on a rainy day.

For the kids I have no clue. None of them are really able to tell me which shoes are good when they're trying them on. My oldest wears ankle braces and she needs a new set. We're working on getting her a new set so she has time to get them broken in and get any adjustments made. She has a pair of Teva sandals, as well.

The middle two both have waterproof sandals that will probably still fit, but will need new sneakers. The little one is outgrowing all of her shoes.

What about socks... I've seen several recommendations for CoolMax socks. Are there particular brands that are good? They seem so expensive, especially if we need to get several pairs for everyone in the family.

We're spending so much on the trip that I want to be sure our feet are taken care of so we can enjoy it, but at the same time it sounds like we have the potential to significantly add to the cost of the trip by getting everyone new socks and shoes. I need to find a good balance and I would appreciate any tips.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:50 AM   #2
RatherB@Disney
Nothing says Mother's love like a giant robotic platypus butt

I am particular about what I wear on my feet, and have spent alot of time finding the right shoes and socks for our Disney vacations. What worked very well for me last year (and I'll wear again this year) is a Merrell Siren Sport walking/trail shoe with GoreTex upper. It was very comfortable and helped keep my feet dry in the rain. I also wear Keen Whisper sandals. For socks, I wear a double-layer Wright sock. The layers are thin and definitely help protect from any rubbing. The fabric is also wicking to help keep you comfortable. Yes, they are pricey, but worth it for me. I bought a couple pairs of socks and wash them throughout the vacation. Keep an eye out for sales or "seconds" at REI.

As you mention, I think it's definitely a good idea to go somewhere that will fit you with a good shoe. Many running-specialty stores will have a treadmill so they can watch how you walk and fit you with a shoe taylored to your gait.

I've never worn crocs to the parks, but one watch out: I've seen a few people there slip while wearing them on a wet surfaces. Maybe they were too worn-in, but something to consider if shoes don't have good traction.

I know how miserable the wrong shoes and socks can make a vacation. Good luck!
Register to remove

Old 09-30-2012, 10:55 AM   #3
theduhaimes
Mouseketeer

My DS6 and DS3 both have used Keens at WDW they are supportive like a sneaker, look like a sandal but dry quick if it should rain. They usually wear them without socks but if it is cold, I just put black socks on with them and they look fine. We are going in December and I am packing them for both boys again.
No one else in the family has ever worn them but I hear adults rave about them too.
theduhaimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 01:18 PM   #4
Habbott
Mouseketeer

I prefer to wear brooks for my sneakers. Mine are stability running shoes that offer quite a bit of cushioning. I prefer Tevas over keens. Keens seem to be heavy and clunky, whereas my tevas are super light.

For my little guy, he mostly wears stride rites. Most kids shoes are cushioned similarly (which is not very much, honestly), so I try to buy him the lightest weighing shoes possible.
Habbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 03:15 PM   #5
ADisneyQueen
DIS Veteran

If you have back problems, would your insurance pay for custom inserts for your sneakers? I broke my foot and I have them, but one of the best things they do is help with my alignment so that I don't have leg and back pain.
Christmas 2009-CBR and RI Seaworld,June 2012-POP
Aug 2013- CSR and AOA
ADisneyQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:33 PM   #6
poohguys
DIS Veteran

Love my Keens. They are great if it rains. I only wore them once during our last trip at the beginning of September. We got lucky and it only rained once for a few hours. Tried the Crocs and I could not even walk by the end of the day my feet hurt so bad. If you have foot problems already I would not recomend them. Good luck finding shoes that work for your family.

Off Site '74
Husband too many times to remember starting in 1979
Poly '90
Dixie Landings '95
SOG '96 (honeymoon trip 15 wonderful days!)
Dixie (POR)'97
Dixie (POR) 2003 (First trip for our son)
Dixie (POR)Oct 2005
Dixie (POR) August 2006
Dixie (POR) August 2007
Dixie (POR) August 2012

poohguys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:35 AM   #7
cornflake
DIS Veteran

You want Dansko or Merrell.

Crocs have no real support, neither do most sneakers. They're just squishy.

Dansko and Merrell shoes provide support, position your foot correctly, are the correct height, cause you to strike correctly, etc. They're comfortable forever because they provide proper support and don't really need breaking in, in my experience.
cornflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:23 AM   #8
xipotec
Grinning Ghosts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornflake
You want Dansko or Merrell.

Crocs have no real support, neither do most sneakers. They're just squishy.

Dansko and Merrell shoes provide support, position your foot correctly, are the correct height, cause you to strike correctly, etc. They're comfortable forever because they provide proper support and don't really need breaking in, in my experience.
+1 on Merrell's
Also Rockports
Before that too many to list
!

SOME IMAGINATION, HUH??? - Mickey Mouse
xipotec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:49 AM   #9
Gorechick
DIS Veteran

I wore Under Armour socks and New Balance sneakers. I had gotten the Under Armour socks at Marshall's. My DH and DS wore Gold Toe performance socks from Kohl's with their shoes. DS lived in his Crocs (with socks) and DD wore Children's Place sandals.
DTD-Courtyard by Marriott August 1997
Wilderness Lodge Honeymoon August 2002
Port Orleans- French Quarter Anniversary (AND Hurricane Charley) August 2004
Port Orleans- Riverside Royal Room- 10th Anniversary and First Trip with Twins August 2012
DS's WISH trip - Hopefully Aulani Resort! Summer 2015

Me (44) DH (40) DS (9) DD (9)

Waiting impatiently for our next family WDW trip!
Gorechick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:03 AM   #10
EvangelineG
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatherB@Disney View Post
I am particular about what I wear on my feet, and have spent alot of time finding the right shoes and socks for our Disney vacations. What worked very well for me last year (and I'll wear again this year) is a Merrell Siren Sport walking/trail shoe with GoreTex upper. It was very comfortable and helped keep my feet dry in the rain. I also wear Keen Whisper sandals. For socks, I wear a double-layer Wright sock. The layers are thin and definitely help protect from any rubbing. The fabric is also wicking to help keep you comfortable. Yes, they are pricey, but worth it for me. I bought a couple pairs of socks and wash them throughout the vacation. Keep an eye out for sales or "seconds" at REI.
This is exactly the combo that I use Merrell walking/trail shoes with Wright double layer socks. The Siren sport Merrells also have great water resistance. On a really rainy night at Magic Kingdom last year, I was the only one in the group with nice dry feet. Unfortunately my old shoes are reaching the end of their life span, so I just got new ones to break in yesterday. I am also adding custom orthotics to the mix, because I had a foot injury in June, and my foot is still a little weak, and I am worried about how it will hold up for all our WDW miles.

We buy our sons New Balance or Saucony shoes, as per the podiatrists advice for their regular shoes, and get the Wright double layer socks for WDW for them too. It costs us a mint to keep growing boys in such expensive shoes, but they really are excellent quality and good for the health of growing feet.

Me & DH + DS & DS (both 14)

_
EvangelineG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:23 AM   #11
msmama
DIS Veteran

My biggest shoe rule - don't wear the same pair of shoes every day.

For me, I have to wear different shoes every day or I am in PAIN!! I can even wear less comfortable shoes and have less issues overall.

I'm actually a big fan of Sketchers Shape-ups in the parks. They have TONS of cushioning. But, again, not every day.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:58 PM   #12
kate_wdw
DIS Veteran

As far as socks go, I love love love SmartWool. They're all I wear. They're not itchy and they don't cause overheating and they're way more cushioned than most socks (as long as you get the performance rather than the lifestyle kind with light cushion or greater).

They're kind of pricey, but they last way longer than cotton socks and you could get away with reusing them over several days (even with Disney level walking) because they don't get sweaty or funky.

Did I mention that I love them? Because I do.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:09 PM   #13
Missy13d69
DIS Veteran

For your back issues, you might want to try Sketchers Shape Ups. The way they are designed, they force you to have proper posture which prevents you from hunching forward when back pain starts, which that hunching actually compounds the back pain. I have had insane results with these shoes and my back pain from walking. I have serious back issues, so I'm all for any relief. They really helped me a lot.

Missy13d69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:22 PM   #14
kohlby
DIS Veteran

We always wear running shoes- including the kids. I figure we're going to be walking a lot so we should wear supportive shoes. We've never had a blister yet and we walk a lot, probably more than the average family due to our touring style.

I have to wear New Balance due to my skinny heel and almost normal toe box. Hubby is a size 14/15, so he has to wear what fits. We buy the kids quality sneakers as well. Brooks, Saucony and Nike have worked well too. I tried Keens and they were horribly wide. My mother loves Keens though. I don't understand breaking in. If I try on sneakers and they don't feel great, then they're not for me. The running shoes of toda, or even the ones from 10 years ago, don't need breaking in. They should feel good at the start. A running store would be able to help fit you if you tell them your specific needs. If you're never going to run in them, then I'd suggest a walking shoe over a running shoe.

For socks, I don't have a specific brand but I wear socks from the local running store - so ones that are used to dealing with sweat. The kids and hubby wear regular socks and they manage no blisters too though.

We usually go in the winter season, so excessive sweating isn't normally an issue. Last Nov, we had some hot days down there though and our socks did just fine. It probably also makes a difference that we don't do water rides that we can get drenched on since my two boys have sensory issues and refuse to do those.
kohlby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:47 PM   #15
Fueledbycoffee
Mouseketeer

I mostly wear Crocs with running shoes mixed in. I have flat feet so Crocs let my walk naturally & the running shoes (love Mizunos) support my feet. I do like Smartwool socks but never taken them to Disney, though I'm thinking I'll add them to my packing list.
Fueledbycoffee is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: