Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure Forums
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2012, 11:33 PM   #1
1stvisit0909
DIS Veteran

IOA between christmas and NY?

We are going to be at Disney from CE to NYE. Crowd calendars say that sat is best for IOA. I have a 11 yo HP fan. Should we try? I know crowds are high all week, but could we get WWOHP done? Kids know we are going to Disney but I wanted to surprise them w this. But if it is impossible, I'd rather know now. Thanks.

Coronado Springs 2014 PTR
Simply Having a Wonderful Christmas Time TR POFQ 2012 OKW 09
1stvisit0909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:32 AM   #2
BrinkofSunshine
DIS Veteran

I can't imagine why the calendar would say the Saturday between New Year's and Christmas would be good for IOA.. Saturdays are generally the most crowded during the year anyway, and that week sees some pretty ridiculous crowds.

Can you feasibly see the WWoHP in a day that week? Yes. However, you may be waiting a few hours just to get into the area, and then more hours in line just to get onto the rides and into the shops.
BrinkofSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-24-2012, 05:28 AM   #3
Metro West
Proud Redhead
11.47 Miles from Universal
23.56 Miles from Disney

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrinkofSunshine View Post
I can't imagine why the calendar would say the Saturday between New Year's and Christmas would be good for IOA.. Saturdays are generally the most crowded during the year anyway, and that week sees some pretty ridiculous crowds.

Can you feasibly see the WWoHP in a day that week? Yes. However, you may be waiting a few hours just to get into the area, and then more hours in line just to get onto the rides and into the shops.
Yeah...you should pick another time to visit HP especially if it's your first time. It's not going to be pretty that week with all the crowds.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:34 AM   #4
mesaboy2
Using a certain word brings out a special kind of cray-cray

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stvisit0909 View Post
We are going to be at Disney from CE to NYE. Crowd calendars say that sat is best for IOA. I have a 11 yo HP fan. Should we try? I know crowds are high all week, but could we get WWOHP done? Kids know we are going to Disney but I wanted to surprise them w this. But if it is impossible, I'd rather know now. Thanks.
The week you're targeting is by far the busiest week of the year, at all Orlando theme parks.
mesaboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:30 AM   #5
1stvisit0909
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaboy2 View Post
The week you're targeting is by far the busiest week of the year, at all Orlando theme parks.
Yes, this I know. Of the days we are there, the crowd calendars that track all the parks have Sat as the best day for IOA. I figured it would be busy - and long waits. I have no idea why they suggest it, unless its because the whole week is busy and "best" is just a smidge under not best. Which is what I figure.

The whole week is 10 crowds - we are prepared. Our plan is to be prepared, patient and flexible. Undercover tourist has IOA green on both the 29th and 30th. The only green parks that day - actually the only green ones period, the rest of the week everything is red and yellow. And I realize, green is relative this time of year. ha. But those are the only two green days for IOA why? No idea.

If we went it would be pretty much only for WWOHP, for huge fans (hubby and I included) would the crowd be so paralyzing we couldn't see anything? Or, could the wait be productive (particularly castle)?

I hate to miss the opportunity since I have no idea when we will ever get back to Orlando, but the descriptions of the crowds seem much worse than the high crowd level descriptions for WDW. At the same time, I hate to pay for 1 day of USF IOA tickets and not be able to even see the stuff.

Old 09-24-2012, 09:42 AM   #6
JessicaR
DIS Veteran
I wanna shoot aliens in the AM too!
The Grinch is rude in a funny sorta way
run to the hams!

Honestly all calendars get thrown out the window for crowd expectations for THAT week. It will be packed. Not saying you can't have fun but just pick a day because it isn't going to matter. We have been there during that time frame.
JessicaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:35 AM   #7
1stvisit0909
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaR View Post
Honestly all calendars get thrown out the window for crowd expectations for THAT week. It will be packed. Not saying you can't have fun but just pick a day because it isn't going to matter. We have been there during that time frame.
Thanks. So we can have fun, as long as we are patient flexible and not in a huge hurry to get to the next thing. Kinda what I thought, but hearing from someone who's been there helps. I'm going to keep thinking about this one. I have time to decide still.

Old 09-24-2012, 10:38 AM   #8
1stvisit0909
DIS Veteran

And, Id still rather be cool/cold and crowded versus 1000 degrees hot and crowded. Those are our only options anymore with the oldest in Jr High - cant afford to take her out anymore. I live in the deep south, the thought of Orlando in the summer makes me want to hurl. HA! Plus, the decorations!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: