Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2012, 10:28 PM   #1
peemagg
We are doing the AKL tri-fecta
You will find us wrapped up in them at night and on the weekends

ECV's and Wheelchairs at Disney and Universal

We are going to go back to Disney in March, and I usually use my ECV there. This time we are thinking of going over to Universal for a day or two also.

Here is my conundrum, I know that I can't take my ECV in any of the lines at Universal and would need to use their chairs in the lines. I was wondering if you would think it to be better to bring my own chair to use in Universal and rent a ECV for Disney, or just use my ECV for both as much as I can?

Also how friendly is Universal going to be for a larger person, that wears hip to foot braces? Are we going to have to miss most things in the parks due to size or my braces or both? I don't want to waste our money on a place that I can't do at least most of it. What is everyone's opinion on this?
peemagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:14 PM   #2
Brook730
Mouseketeer

if it were me I would just use my own i mean you will probably be more comfortable in your own then theirs we are having a similar issue with my mom she is going in march with us but we are unsure of the weight limit on the ones in the park so we are not sure what to do
Brook730 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-24-2012, 09:12 PM   #3
peemagg

I have both a wheelchair and a scooter, but will only travel with one or the other. I am just not sure which one would be better to use at Universal, or whether it is even worth our time to even journey over there if there is enough that I can do to make it worthwhile. I know from what I have read that Universal is not friendly to large or handicapped people like Disney is.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:03 PM   #4
clm10308
DIS Veteran

You should look on the Universal threads for info on rides for larger people. From what I have read, many of the rides do not accommodate larger people, but that really depends on what you mean as "large". I was aaround size 18-20 when I went to universal. I fit on everything I wanted to ride, but some rides were a bit snug. Also, some of the rides have "test seats" so you can check to see if you fit before you get to the ride car.
clm10308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:32 PM   #5
peemagg

I am meaning someone size 22-24.

I will look there too. Thank you for that suggestion.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:16 PM   #6
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Also, check out the disABILITIES FAQs thread. One of the posts is about Universal and Islands of Adventure.
It includes a link to the Universal/IOA booklet for guests with disabilities (they call it their Rider's Guide).

There are a lot of attractions with warnings - many more than at WDW. The Rider's Guide does indicate that most attraction queues do not accommodate ECVs or power wheelchairs. So, you may be better off with the wheelchair than the ECV.

I have not been to Universal in a long time, but I was at IOA last Spring by myself. We decided it did not make sense to bring DD there because there was not much she could go on.
I'd suggest studying the Rider's Guide to see just what you would be able to ride. I think they listed rides with tight restraints as well as those with warnings.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: