Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2012, 07:42 PM   #1
Pretty Poly
Relaxing with a mai tai

Post wisdom teeth removal tips

DH is having his wisdom teeth removed tomorrow and he's quite nervous. He's almost 30 and everyone keeps telling him how much worse it can be if you're not a teenager anymore. I had mine removed when I was a teenager, but all I remember it that it was awful and I got 4 dry sockets and I was allergic to the pain meds, so it was quite the unpleasant experience.

Does anyone have any advice for easing his nerves? Good tips for care after the surgery? Good foods to have on hand? I stocked up on ice cream already.

TIA!!
Pretty Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:46 PM   #2
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretty Poly View Post
DH is having his wisdom teeth removed tomorrow and he's quite nervous. He's almost 30 and everyone keeps telling him how much worse it can be if you're not a teenager anymore. I had mine removed when I was a teenager, but all I remember it that it was awful and I got 4 dry sockets and I was allergic to the pain meds, so it was quite the unpleasant experience.

Does anyone have any advice for easing his nerves? Good tips for care after the surgery? Good foods to have on hand? I stocked up on ice cream already.

TIA!!
If he was prescribed pain meds - be sure that he takes them! Ice packs are great.

Jello, yogurt, cottage cheese, and (believe me) baby food (fruits & veggies) were what my kids wanted. and NO sodas for 3 days.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-23-2012, 07:50 PM   #3
Pikester
DIS Veteran

Cold packs for swelling. Not sure when he'll be able to start swishing but be sure to have salt to mix with the warm water. No sucking from a straw. If he likes soup get the Campbell's soup at hand ones. They tend to be more liquid then filled with chewable stuff. No hot stuff the first day or so, soup would be for later.

Pikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:04 PM   #4
Kerrio929
Mouseketeer

Get an oral syringe from your pharmacy and have him use it to rinse the holes with warm salt water, especially after he starts eating again. This will help keep food out of the holes and the salt will kill bacteria.
DD: 5

Kerrio929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:52 PM   #5
dizluvah
DIS Veteran

the dentist pulling his teeth will give him after care instructions and mine gave me the syringe, so you probably won't have to buy one to rinse with and even ice packs with the practice name/number on them.

I remember eating mashed potatoes and gravy for several meals and I think the first 24 hours after having mine removed I basically stayed in bed.

I took a really long time for my holes to close up; like more than 6 months but I'm not sure if my being diabetic contributed to the slow healing/closure of the opening.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:00 PM   #6
low-key
DIS Veteran

Tell the Dentist any type of teeth work leaves him in great pain, and Vicodin works real good for it
Old 09-23-2012, 09:05 PM   #7
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

I'd ask why is he having them taken out? According to the "American Journal of Public Health" the removal of wisdom teeth is usually unnecessary.

My mom is 89 and still has her's, and I'm 55 and still have mine, no problems at all.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:44 PM   #8
trip
family trip planner

Others have suggested ice packs but I like to use bags of frozen peas. They hug your face better.
trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:28 PM   #9
mickeysgal
Orange you glad I like Knock Knock jokes?
"I am Mrs. Nesbitt" - Buzz Lightyear

My two youngest had theirs removed this summer - same day - so they recouperated together. The oral surgeon gave them this head/chin band that had ice packs built in. They looked like the old fashioned things people wore around their head when they had a toothache. Hopefully, your DH will get one of these, if not, make sure you have a few ice packs on hand to use.

If the blood continues to ooze, he can bite down on a tea bag - regular Lipton teabag with the string. It stops the bleeding. Ask your oral surgeon as I'm sure they've heard of this trick. Did wonders for my kids. Decades ago when I had mine out, I had to do the same thing with the teabag.

Made a great picture...the ice pack headbands that make them look like a chipmonks due to the ice packs with tea bag strings hanging out of their mouths.
mickeysgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:15 AM   #10
bekkiz
DIS Veteran

I had mine out last November. Gentle salt water swishes helped about with the bleeding for the first 24 hours. I drank a lot of hot chicken broth with a beaten egg cooked in it (like egg drop soup) because there was only so much pudding a girl could take! Plus, it helped a lot with my stomach vs. pain meds. Ice packs for sure.

I think within 36/48 hours, I had very little pain at the tooth sites (I was 31 btw), but due to an old jaw injury, my jaw was in terrible shape for weeks afterwards.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:13 AM   #11
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by low-key View Post
Tell the Dentist any type of teeth work leaves him in great pain, and Vicodin works real good for it
I was given Vicodin and Motrin 800. The Vicodin did nothing but make me nauseous. The Motrin worked wonders! I was 25 when I had mine out and had no problems at all. For the first few days all I really ate was apple sauce and mashed potatoes though.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:15 AM   #12
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy View Post
I'd ask why is he having them taken out? According to the "American Journal of Public Health" the removal of wisdom teeth is usually unnecessary.

My mom is 89 and still has her's, and I'm 55 and still have mine, no problems at all.
Key word there is "usually". I should have had mine out about 10 years before I did. My DH has his and was told there is no reason to take them out.
Old 09-24-2012, 06:21 AM   #13
feenie
DIS Veteran

I'm 37 and I just had my bottom ones out last month.
It was not pleasant. Tell him to take his meds on schedule, use ice a LOT in the first 24 hours to keep the swelling down, then as much as needed after for keeping the aching at bay.
Soft foods probably for a few days, I found that the mac and cheese bowls that you heat up in the microwave worked good for me. As well as things like yogurt (w/o chunks) puddings and applesauce and ice cream.
My dentist didn't want me to have any hot foods until the 2nd day. (to help the bleeding stop.
Salt water rinses for the first week. Syringe after the first few days to keep the holes clear of stuff. (and you would be amazed just how much can get packed in there!)

feenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:31 AM   #14
mjkacmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy View Post

I got mine IN after I turned 30. Two were impacted, and the other two would've shifted my teeth (that are still perfectly straight). They all went.
mjkacmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:34 AM   #15
kamik86
DIS Veteran

I had mine out a few weeks ago at 25.

1) follow the instructions they give you. If he is being put to sleep someone else has to drive him home (I'm going to guess this is you) make sure you (or whomever is driving) reads the instructions and asks questions if they don't understand everything... because the person that just had surgery may not be able to read and think at that second (I was seeing double still at the point that I was given the instructions). Actually if I had to do this again I would ask for a copy of the instructions while in the waiting room so I could read them while my brain still worked.

2) If you can have a third person around this is best. When I had mine out my husband immediately took me to my mom's since I was still loopy so she could watch me while DH went to fill my prescription (and get ice packs, ibuprofen, ice cream etc) Actually I would make sure you had the ibuprofen and food before he had this done and only do this with the prescription though. Some people don't want to eat right away but I was honestly pretty hungry before DH got back with something I was able to eat.

3) Foods: You will want to have things that don't really need to be chewed. AT first he won't be able to have anything hot (for first 24 hours, it can break the blood clot and makes it more likely he will get an infection) but your allowed to eat anything luke warm to cold as soon as you stop bleeding. Ice cream, pudding, jello works good for this. Mashed potatoes was the best for me for something more substantial. By the second day I could do scrambled eggs and a few other things.

4) Medicine: He may not need the prescription stuff right away but at least take the ibuprofen on a schedule. You don't want it to start hurting then wait for the meds to kick in.

5) Don't be alarmed when it hurts more a few days after surgery. I thought I must have a dry socket or infection because it started hurting more a few days after the surgery and then I had the funny taste thing and a few other symptoms I read about... but I was fine. This time from day 3 or so till day 6 was the only times I had to take the prescription stuff.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: