Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2012, 06:46 AM   #16
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

My dh got them out in his 40's. They were causing serious issues with bone loss and pain issues. A good oral surgeon diagnosed that. Turns out the off and on "tooth pain" for many yrs was caused by his wisdom teeth. They would always blame it on a "sinus infection".

He did end up getting a bone infection after the removal. So just keep an eye on things, follow the instructions esp. with the icing & pain meds in the beginning. Keep on schedule right away.

The infection was cleared up with some long term antibiotics. Was not a big deal, he just had a lot of discomfort for awhile.
The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:51 AM   #17
MichelleinMaine
DIS Veteran

Just wanted to throw out DH and I both had ours out in our 30's and had no significant issues. We followed the advice of the oral surgeon and, while certainly not a fun experience, had no major post op issues.

Take pain meds on schedule at least first 24h (if he waits til starts hurting, then he needs to wait for the meds to kick in). After that, take as needed.

ICE ICE ICE as much as he can. Frozen peas work great because they can form to the face shape. I'd wrap in a towel and keep one on each side as long as I could stand it. Warm up and then repeat.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-24-2012, 04:27 PM   #18
BlovesC
home is where the Yeti is!
When the ride attendants ask me to tug on the yellow strap on my seatbelt, I never do it. I just stare at them in defiance

Location: Originally Jersey Shore, now Central FL (hopefully not for much longer)

I had mine out back in March. I refused the pain killers my dentist prescribed me, even though he literally tried to FORCE them on me. I took two OTC-strength ibuprofen the night after the procedure, but nothing else. It's honestly not as huge of a deal as everyone makes it out to be.

B & C , Local AP/TiW holders & resort junkies!
12/08: CR & SSR|10/09: VWL| 1/10:AKL&POFQ| 10/10:AKL| 1/11:CR| 2/11:POFQ| 1/12:AKL|5/12:BC|
9/12:BC| 10/12:SSR| 1/13:ASMu| 5/13:BC| 6/13:POP| 8/13:WL| 10/13:POFQ| 12/13:Disney Dream| 1/14: ASMu| 3/14: BC
BlovesC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:32 PM   #19
Pretty Poly
Relaxing with a mai tai

Thanks for all the tips and advice. When I had mine out, it was a HUGE deal and I had it really bad, so I was nervous for him. The surgery went fine, the doctor said he did really well. Out dentist recommended he have them out last year, but he put it off, and one of them really started to cause him some pain since it was starting to come in and was pushing on another tooth. One never came to fruition, and the last 2 never surfaced, but had the potential to cause problems like the first one.

So he's resting now, had gauze on it for a while, then switched to a moist tea bag, which seems to have helped the bleeding. We're icing on and off every 15 minutes, and the doctor said not to rinse today but to start with salt water tomorrow. I've stocked up on ice cream, yogurt, soup and mashed potatoes.
Pretty Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:02 PM   #20
shortbun
Peacenik

I second the no soda-it hurts like crazy. I'd skip pasta if there is raw tissue. No hot foods at first, warm is fine. Skip tomato sauces for the first few days-too much acid on fresh tissue. Be sure to rinse really well after food and take those pain meds when they are due! If there is any sign of unusual pain-get thee to your dentist. Dry sockets must be treated immediately or the pain will go on forever. Ice packs are your friend. This is no time to be a brave guy- take the pain meds or at least have tons of Advil/Ibuprofen on hand. You can take 4 ibuprofen(800mg) every 4 hours for several days without a problem unless you are already on non steroidal anti-inflammatory meds. Gels caps get into your system faster. Ice packs are your friend; have several at the ready. Don't skip doctors orders because you are feeling good. Make sure the soup and potatoes are not too hot-hot food, not a great idea.

USE IT UP, WEAR IT OUT, MAKE IT DO OR DO WITHOUT.

IF YOUR UPKEEP EXCEEDS YOUR INCOME THEN YOUR OUTGO WILL BE YOUR DOWNFALL.
shortbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:05 PM   #21
Coconut36
DIS Veteran

I had mine removed in my early 20s. Done on Friday and I was back to work starting a new job on Monday.

It wasn't fun but it wasn't horrible.

I remember the first day soft foods being my friend and taking Tylenol for the pain (not a big fan of pain pills and didn't use them or feel I needed them but that was me..I also did use Rx pain meds post either c section either).

I remember no straws and I would avoid anything acidic as well at least in the first few days. I also remember eating warm/cool food..nothing hot for a couple days as well.
Coconut36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:53 PM   #22
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkacmom View Post
I got mine IN after I turned 30. Two were impacted, and the other two would've shifted my teeth (that are still perfectly straight). They all went.
My dad swore he had his out at age 18. He was a little shocked at age 50 when the dentist said he needed them removed. He swears he must have grown a second set.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:26 PM   #23
Shanna-like-Banana
DIS Veteran

My advise, is that if he needs sutures, that the dentist dosen't accidently pierce the inside of his cheek and pull it into the sutures of the socket !

I had my left top and bottom removed last Dec because they were errupting and they hurt like crazy. With all that pressure in my mouth, squeezing my teeth, I was getting toothaches/headaches all the time.

Mine came out super easy since they were exposed and partially errupt. It's the damn clotting injection that has the freakin Epi in it, that makes me feel like I can get up and run a race.

Anywho, I needed a few sutures on the bottom. After a week, I kept calling them, telling them it felt really tight, I could barley open my mouth, my cheek was so swollen still, I tried to open my mouth, but it felt like a rubber band ready to pop.

I finally got them to take a look and low and behold, he had accidently pierced the inside of my cheeck and pulled it into the sutures through the socket ! As soon as he cut it, I was totally fine and woke up the next day feeling WWAAAYYYYY better.

Shanna-like-Banana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:48 PM   #24
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanna-like-Banana View Post
My advise, is that if he needs sutures, that the dentist dosen't accidently pierce the inside of his cheek and pull it into the sutures of the socket !

I had my left top and bottom removed last Dec because they were errupting and they hurt like crazy. With all that pressure in my mouth, squeezing my teeth, I was getting toothaches/headaches all the time.

Mine came out super easy since they were exposed and partially errupt. It's the damn clotting injection that has the freakin Epi in it, that makes me feel like I can get up and run a race.

Anywho, I needed a few sutures on the bottom. After a week, I kept calling them, telling them it felt really tight, I could barley open my mouth, my cheek was so swollen still, I tried to open my mouth, but it felt like a rubber band ready to pop.

I finally got them to take a look and low and behold, he had accidently pierced the inside of my cheeck and pulled it into the sutures through the socket ! As soon as he cut it, I was totally fine and woke up the next day feeling WWAAAYYYYY better.
I had one that somehow got stuck in-between my molar and jaw bone. I didn't realize at first where all the pressure I was feeling was coming from. I was so happy when I got it loose!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: