Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2012, 05:48 AM   #46
ScrappinGran
Mouseketeer

THANK YOU to the OP for posting this thread. I rarely wear makeup, but have lost 60 lbs in the last year and 1/2, am going on our first DCL cruise in 3 weeks, and am ready to wear makeup again and am buying clothes " out of my safety zone " and loving it! I too, have been overwhelmed at the makeup choices out there, and hadn't a clue where to start. I have some makeup, mostly eye shadows and foundation(s), and an ANCIENT mascara. I threw everything out!
So thanks to all your responses, I took lots of notes, and will head to Target, Walgreens, and Ulta today! BRING IT ON!!! I now know what BB is, read about everyone's favorite products, and feel MUCH more informed! Just got an Ulta flyer in the mail Friday. Several brands have Buy One, Get One 50% off deal going on, and there is a 5.00 off coupon (off 10.00 or more). I can't believe I am looking FORWARD to buying and WEARING makeup again!! Will check all the Sunday Paper ads, too. Thanks again, OP, and all you wonderful ladies!
ScrappinGran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:29 AM   #47
sharbear
DIS Veteran

I really like the ulta makeup line. I bought the foundation with primer and its great! I also bought the baked bronzer, very nice, a cheek stain, a gel pencil eyeliner and a pressed powder. I've been really happy with everything. I usually buy more expensive makeup and this compares.

I did buy an eyeshadow compact which compares to Laura Gellar and it was ok but could be that it was more matte than I usually wear. I especially loved the bronzer and the eyeliner seemed to be very high quality.

All the ulta line was buy 2 get 2 free. You can also use a coupon. Of course I had a coupon which didn't start until today, I should have looked. I get emails an they have printable coupons.
sharbear is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-30-2012, 12:19 PM   #48
uscgmouse
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrappinGran View Post
THANK YOU to the OP for posting this thread. I rarely wear makeup, but have lost 60 lbs in the last year and 1/2, am going on our first DCL cruise in 3 weeks, and am ready to wear makeup again and am buying clothes " out of my safety zone " and loving it! I too, have been overwhelmed at the makeup choices out there, and hadn't a clue where to start. I have some makeup, mostly eye shadows and foundation(s), and an ANCIENT mascara. I threw everything out!
So thanks to all your responses, I took lots of notes, and will head to Target, Walgreens, and Ulta today! BRING IT ON!!! I now know what BB is, read about everyone's favorite products, and feel MUCH more informed! Just got an Ulta flyer in the mail Friday. Several brands have Buy One, Get One 50% off deal going on, and there is a 5.00 off coupon (off 10.00 or more). I can't believe I am looking FORWARD to buying and WEARING makeup again!! Will check all the Sunday Paper ads, too. Thanks again, OP, and all you wonderful ladies!
Congrats!!! Enjoy buying all new things.
Old 09-30-2012, 01:41 PM   #49
TheRatPack
Under penalty of law this tag not to be removed except by the tagfairy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
Have you tried oil blotters? I can't be without them, I get them from Mary Kay but you can get them anywhere. Works so much better on the shine than powder.
Yes, but haven't bought any lately. Some makeups don't give me nearly as much of a shiny look....so I'm going to try a few different foundations before our trip and see if I can find one that helps with that. Might as well carry some blotting papers with me as well.

TheRatPack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:14 PM   #50
uscgmouse
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRatPack View Post
Yes, but haven't bought any lately. Some makeups don't give me nearly as much of a shiny look....so I'm going to try a few different foundations before our trip and see if I can find one that helps with that. Might as well carry some blotting papers with me as well.
You may need to try a toner before putting on makeup and skip the face lotion before applying makeup.
Old 10-01-2012, 03:23 PM   #51
ashleyasiegel
Mouseketeer

So I am a SAHM and haven't really worn make up in years only eye shadow/mascara. I am losing some weight and just want to make a better effort overall. How do you know what shade to pick? I can't afford the dept store make up only the drug store. Is there any good tutorials about learning how to apply things properly?

Thanks for any help!!!
Ashley

April/May 2014: Pop Century l [/B]Dec 2012: Pop Century l Jan/Feb 2012: DD2 1st trip ASMovies l Sept 2010: All Star Music l Nov 2009: Pop Century/All Star Music l Nov 2009: Disneyland l Jan 2009: DD1 1st trip All Star Sports l May 2007: Off Site l April 2006: Off Site Herm's First Disney Trip
ashleyasiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:15 PM   #52
Tinkerbellie16
Certified Disneyaholic

Quote:
I bought the Maybelline tattoo eye shadow that Tinkerb mentioned and I don't really care for it either . It seems oily....and it's just different when trying to get it on.....turns out to be a real sheer eyeshadow.
Oh no, I'm sorry to hear that! I use the Maybelline tattoo eye shadow in white/ice right under my brow - and I love it! It stays all day. However, I use Benefit and Make Up Forever cream shadows on the rest of my eyelid. I use the pale peach/pink colors and use it as a base for my powder eye shadows or just keep it as is with a little eyeliner for a less made up look. The cream eyeshadows really keep the rest of my eye makeup on without creasing. I was giving the recommendations for the drugstore products so admittedly, I have not used the Maybelline tattoo eye shadow as my 'base', only the department store cosmetics.

Quote:
I have a very oily TZone, mostly my forehead though. I either have to carry powder with me EVERYWHERE or deal with the shine. If I don't wear a lot of makeup (like at Disney) the shine isn't nearly as bad....so I'm aware that it's probably my make up making it worse. I'm definitely going to try these suggestions on my next trip to town/ulta/walgreens.

Thanks everyone for sharing and thanks OP for posting the question!
Quote:
Have you tried oil blotters? I can't be without them, I get them from Mary Kay but you can get them anywhere. Works so much better on the shine than powder.
I've got the oily t-zone too. I have used rice papers (oil blotting papers) for decades. And by the way, the Japan Pavillion carries a lot of these for $2.95 each (they even have different color and styles of packaging!)

6/14 YC 10/13 Poly 5/13 Poly & BC 10/12 Poly 7/12 CSR/BWV 5/12 CBR 3/12 DL 10/11 Poly 5/11 VWL 9/10 Poly 3/10 Dolphin 4/09 Poly 4/08 BC 5/07 Poly/Cruise/ASMo 7/06 AKL 7/00 POR 7/98 DisIns 3/98 Off 7/96 POR +
Tinkerbellie16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:08 PM   #53
uscgmouse
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleyasiegel View Post
So I am a SAHM and haven't really worn make up in years only eye shadow/mascara. I am losing some weight and just want to make a better effort overall. How do you know what shade to pick? I can't afford the dept store make up only the drug store. Is there any good tutorials about learning how to apply things properly?

Thanks for any help!!!
Ashley
I just googled it. Depending on what I wanted to know. Also try pinterest there are a ton of tutorials on there.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:21 AM   #54
Irin997
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleyasiegel View Post

Thanks for any help!!!
Ashley
Youtube!!! There are TONS of makeup, hair, skincare, etc, any kind of tutorial you want. I've gotten tons of tips for when I want a change from Youtube.
Irin997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:32 AM   #55
labdogs42
I managed to wrestle a playhouse to the ground and twisted it into submission

I'm totally heading out to buy some BB cream today! I used to use Mary kay tinted moisturizer, but this stuff looks similar and les expensive. Thanks for the scoop!
Old 10-03-2012, 12:10 PM   #56
ceecee
DIS Veteran

Isn't the BB cream like a primer to be used under foundation?
Old 10-03-2012, 12:20 PM   #57
trinchick
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Isn't the BB cream like a primer to be used under foundation?
My understanding (and how I've been using it successfully) is that it's like moisturizer/foundation/primer/SPF all in one. I do still use a separate moisturizer under the BB cream and then an under-eye brightener on top.

Here's a link explaining it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bb_cream
trinchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:24 PM   #58
virginiamama
DIS Veteran

Almay TLC Truly Lasting Color. Love it! The colors are great, it stays on all day, isn't so drying that it feels tight, but also doesn't get oily. I apply with a foundation brush or sponge and it is super light but i can even dab it on as a concealer and it covers. I use only the tiniest bit of mineral powder over it. I order Everyday Minerals, much cheaper than BE.

I really like the Garnier BB Cream if you want to skip the moisturizer but I was a little too shiny with it during the summer. If you don't have oily skin this is a great all-in-one product, and my skin loved it.

"(June '94 Off site / Oct '03 Caribbean Beach / Dec '04 DCL-Wonder / Dec '05 Pop Century / Dec '06 DCL-Magic CC Double-Dip and Coronado Springs / Oct '07 Beach Club Villas / Aug '08 DCL Wonder CC Double-Dip w/ Tropical Storm Fay and Beach Club Villas / Nov '08 Beach Club Villas / Oct '09 Villas at Wilderness Lodge/ Nov '10 AK Villas / Aug '11 DCL Dream and Bay Lake Towers / Dec '12 Beach Club Villas)

Next trip: Oct '13 Beach Club Villas
virginiamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:53 PM   #59
TheRatPack
Under penalty of law this tag not to be removed except by the tagfairy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbellie16 View Post
I was giving the recommendations for the drugstore products so admittedly, I have not used the Maybelline tattoo eye shadow as my 'base', only the department store cosmetics.

I've got the oily t-zone too. I have used rice papers (oil blotting papers) for decades. And by the way, the Japan Pavillion carries a lot of these for $2.95 each (they even have different color and styles of packaging!)
Not a problem on the eyeshadow....my teen daughter will use it LOL. I'll have to remember that about the rice papers at Japan's pavilion....that's a good price Thanks!

TheRatPack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:39 PM   #60
peyjax
DIS Veteran

A great trick I found is a good primer! Smashbox makes a great one for $40 (photo finish) but the trick I learned online is use Monistat chafing gel you can get at walmart for $6! It works great for the parks too! LOL
peyjax is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: