Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2012, 07:42 PM   #1
uscgmouse
Mouseketeer

I need new makeup! Please help!

So I haven't really worn makeup in almost 2 years..... that is about how old my son is. LOL
I used to wear bare minerals but I just felt like it was too expensive and didn't last the day.

I am looking for foundation that covers well and lasts all day and doesn't make me feel like I have a mask on. I also want a powder that doesn't require me to apply it every hour.
Most of all I want it to be affordable. I cannot afford to spend the money on department store brands. I may have department store taste but I am on a strickly walmart budget.

Please help! If you use something that you love and that I can buy at walmart or a simular store let me know.
I am interested in a whole new bag of makeup. Foundation, powder, eye makeup and gloss.

Thanks a ton!
Old 09-23-2012, 08:05 PM   #2
Gorechick
DIS Veteran

I would go with Revlon color stay products. The liquid foundation can look cakey if applied heavy, but I use a damp sponge or stippling brush to apply it lighter.
DTD-Courtyard by Marriott August 1997
Wilderness Lodge Honeymoon August 2002
Port Orleans- French Quarter Anniversary (AND Hurricane Charley) August 2004
Port Orleans- Riverside Royal Room- 10th Anniversary and First Trip with Twins August 2012
DS's WISH trip - Hopefully Aulani Resort! Summer 2015

Me (44) DH (40) DS (9) DD (9)

Waiting impatiently for our next family WDW trip!
Gorechick is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-23-2012, 10:03 PM   #3
hugabearjo
DIS Veteran

I have been using the Ulta brand of mineral powder foundation. I put on my moisturizer first and that helps it stay and it is inexpensive and they have printable coupons all the time. I don't wear much make-up so when I do I want my effort to show......

Hope this helps...
hugabearjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:16 PM   #4
4GoofyCrew
Mouseketeer

I recommend a Bare Minerals starter kit (you will get foundation, powder, blush plus several brushes) for one price (usually on sale at Ulta for about $35). Very comparable in price to piecing together Cover Girl, etc. from Walmart.
01-2012 AS SPORTS Free DDP
Always dreaming about another trip!
4GoofyCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:04 PM   #5
uscgmouse
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4GoofyCrew View Post
I recommend a Bare Minerals starter kit (you will get foundation, powder, blush plus several brushes) for one price (usually on sale at Ulta for about $35). Very comparable in price to piecing together Cover Girl, etc. from Walmart.
I have tried Bare Minerals and I just don't think it covers enough.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:07 AM   #6
sookie
DIS Veteran

If you are willing to invest in it (it isn't cheap), Jane Iredale is a mineral based makeup that a lot of dermatologists recommend. They have some starter kits available (try Beauty.com) that are cheaper, and I think they might even come with a brush or two. I was breaking out with Bare Minerals, and it wasn't covering for me. That is how I got started with it. Actually, I was putting Bare Minerals on and it was making my face feel like it was on fire. I'm very sensitive. I was red and breaking out like crazy - awful zits - just these awful red deep sores after I put it on. It was just awful.

For any mineral makeup, you need to use something to set it. There are lots of sprays out there - I use either Jane Iredale Balance or POM Mist. Right now I am using POM mist, but I prefer Balance... I think it might just be the spritzer, but the mist seemed finer. I would also tell people to make sure they are always using a good moisturizer too, and letting it settle before they start applying their makeup.

Not too long ago, I had a travel size sample of a nice Urban Decay setting mist that I really liked. I will say that coverage wise, you can build almost all of the mineral based makeups to the coverage level that you like. I use a different brush to cover around my nose (a little redder), and then use the mist to moisturize a coverage brush if I need to make the powder a little "stickier". All of the mineral based makeups will age you and settle if you don't use something to make it look soft and dewy when you need to set it - and it will all just flake away if you don't use something to set it as well. I really do think that mineral based makeups are superior to the old creams and liquids - but they do take some getting used to!!! So I guess my two biggest tips are - moisturize beforehand, and then use a good mist to set with.

http://www.beauty.com/jane-iredale-s...95?catid=25362

Holy cow! You get a ton of brushes in this kit... it might be a higher initial outlay (82 bucks), but for the brushes you are getting and all the makeup - it is a nice kit. Not bad. Just the three brushes are worth at least 60 bucks alone. Anyway - thought I would post that. There are some other good makeups out there but I have been stuck on this brand for so long - the bases, blushes and everything (brushes included) lasts me for forever - I really do recommend it to everyone.

Last edited by sookie; 09-24-2012 at 12:14 AM.
sookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:15 AM   #7
sookie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugabearjo View Post
I have been using the Ulta brand of mineral powder foundation. I put on my moisturizer first and that helps it stay and it is inexpensive and they have printable coupons all the time. I don't wear much make-up so when I do I want my effort to show......

Hope this helps...
Ulta always has coupons so they are a good alternative as well. I'm always surprised at the deals people get!
sookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:16 AM   #8
KellyNY
DIS Veteran

I suggest Loreal pressed powder True Match, good cover, medium heavy. What is good that it is often on sale at Rite Aid, CVS or Walgreens and you can often find coupons. Just wait for a deal and try it and as far as I know if it does not work, you can actually return it.
Physician Formula is also nice, it is not as heavy and cheap.
I used to use Bare Minerals but it does not cover well.

DESPERADOS, AND LOVING IT !!!

HO HO HO
KellyNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:06 AM   #9
mum2princesses
Earning My Ears

Revlon colorstay liquid foundation is a great, long lasting foundation. It has fantastic coverage that you can sheer out if wanted, or use for more full coverage, depending on how you apply it.

Covergirl trublend pressed powder is a great setting powder. It has been compared to MAC mineralize skin finish but is way cheaper!

Love buying new make-up! Have fun!
Old 09-24-2012, 02:01 AM   #10
Glittercat
Mouseketeer

Hello there! I can't recommend a good foundation as I dislike the one I'm using quite a lot. Have a pretty basic set I take with me everywhere from working an art or comic book show to vacation!
• tiny tube of moisturizer (currently a nice one from a sample from buying something from clinique but I'll use whatever doesn't hurt my skin)
• Maybelline Dream Bouncy blush in "peach satin" (creme)
• Revlon Illuminance créme shadow in "Skinlights" (colors look like buff, rosy peach, champagne, and light mocha)
• L'Oréal HIP studio secrets in "sculpted" sort of a light plum and shimmery raisin (i've green eyes what color are yours?) i wear this as eyeliner for most things.
• For going out to certain events or at night sometimes do cat eyes with a Revlon color stay waterproof gel liner i think it is "blackest black" in a lil' pot- but i frequently lose the brush *oh! they changed it the new ones have brush attached!*
• a tiny inexpensive set of brushes -i use these for everything!
• Lash Stiletto mascara (only on top lashes) waterproof "blackest black"
• Cover Girl Outlast lipstain pen in 435 (reddish, pinkish nude)
• either a lipgloss or just Maybelline Baby Lips (shimmer balm $3.99) in "Peach Kiss"
• an itty bitty bottle of eye makeup remover.
I dig shopping from Sephora every once in awhile, but drugstore makeup is 75% of what I own. Have fun stocking your makeup bag! :D

Glittercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:07 AM   #11
Bungle
DIS Veteran

There are some really good drugstore brands out now. Do you have oil, dry, or combo skin? Looking for natural or full coverage?

Bungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:01 AM   #12
MomofKatie
Maybe if you leave some chocolate under your pillow the Tag Fairy will visit you!
In the second grade I looked like a mini senior citizen!
"Dairy World?" "Fairy World." "OH, DARN IT!!!"

If you like mineral makeup, try Everyday Minerals. It is available online at www.everydayminerals.com and it is way less expensive than Bare Minerals or Sheer Cover. I use the IT base, and it covers really well. They offer a mix & match special- if you get 3 full size products, they take 25% off the order. They also have free samples so you can find your perfect shade of foundation.

They offer blush, eye shadow, lipstick, concealers, brushes, and other skincare stuff in addition to foundation. I have tried and love almost every product they carry! The only product I wouldn't recommend is their lipstick. No matter how many I have tried, they all are more like tinted Chapstick- the pigments are almost nonexistent.
MomofKatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:34 AM   #13
girli565
A Miami kind of girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscgmouse View Post
I have tried Bare Minerals and I just don't think it covers enough.
You build coverage with BE, if you want full coverage look into getting the full flawless face brush and doing the swirl/tap/buff action 2-4 times until you build up the coverage you want. If after your first pass you're not happy with the coverage you go over your face again. did you watch the BE videos that come on the CD in the starter kit or even on youtube? They're a great tool on how to build coverage. Also, use the bisque as your concealer. That also helps build full coverage.

They actually just came out with a pressed compact foundation and it is full coverage in 1-2 tap/buffs. It has amazing coverage. I just got it and found it to be quicker to get full coverage than with the traditional loose makeup.
girli565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:28 PM   #14
uscgmouse
Mouseketeer

I went to CVS today and was so overwelmed that I just left. I used to wear cover girl tru blend liquid foundation and then I would use the tru blend blue compact over that.
I am looking for a matte finish. I want it to look as flawless as possible with as little makeup as possible.

I went today to our military base and some how ended up buying clinique matte foundation and matte powder. I think I may return it and go back to cover girl.

It is so hard to buy make up when you just don't wear it often.
Old 09-24-2012, 02:46 PM   #15
goodfood4ursoul
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscgmouse View Post
I used to wear bare minerals but I just felt like it was too expensive and didn't last the day.

I am looking for foundation that covers well and lasts all day and doesn't make me feel like I have a mask on. I also want a powder that doesn't require me to apply it every hour.
Most of all I want it to be affordable.
One thing that jumps out at me is that you may want to consider your skin type before going any further.
Foundation "not lasting the day" could be a problem of having moister skin (excess oil) that soaks up the powder, or that makes liquid makeup feel like a wet mask...

or it could be very dry skin that soaks up the liquid like a sponge and leaves nothing left and must constantly be replenished and should be well moisturized before foundation.

It sounds to me like it might be worth it to look into an oil-free or shine control foundation, and perhaps some shine control lotion.
A good skin care line will help too.

Something to consider no matter what name brand you choose- product lines are formulated to work together, so try to stick to a particular line or brand.

Given that you are having a hard time choosing and are not sure what will work for you,
you might think about a free skin care and makeup session with a local Mary Kay person.
You can try before you buy and if you don't like it you don't have to buy it at all...

Disclaimer- I am not a consultant and have no contacts or connections with Mary Kay- I just know you can try before you buy and they are trained to help you find what works for you.

Good luck!

yep
goodfood4ursoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: