Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2012, 11:33 PM   #16
disykat
DIS Veteran

For ceilings and walls in most rooms of my house I only do cobwebs, spots, dust, etc. when noticeable. In the kitchen and bathrooms, I occasionally (rare occasions!) take a mop and do all the reachable surfaces if I notice a need.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:24 AM   #17
KDIPIAZZ
Mouseketeer

I have a pressed tin ceiling in the kitchen and do wash it a couple of times a year.
KDIPIAZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-24-2012, 04:14 AM   #18
dyna
DIS Veteran

I used to when I had smooth ceilings I could wash without getting on a ladder. I never mopped them I'd get up on a kitchen chair an old one from the 50's that was very sturdy an scrub the ceilings with cleaner an a rag. Just like scubbing floor but I was doing the ceiling. Used to do that every spring an fall. That was when I was younger an smoked in my house.

Scrubbed all the walls every 6 months. Took down all the light covers cleaned those too. But then there was a time in my life I took everything out of closets an cleaned those every 2 weeks too.

This will be 1 of the few falls in my life that I don't do fall cleaning but then I bought a house that we closed on on June 20th. DH an I have spent all summer replacing walls that was water damaged an moldy. We have painted. I've scrubbed every floor 2 or 3 times. We move in Oct 1st I still got to redo the master bedroom floor got it dirty again. an the kitchen an I got to wax the shower walls yet. I think I got the fall cleaning covered other than normal daily cleaning.
dyna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:35 AM   #19
shortbun
Peacenik

My Grandmother, who washed trees and her sidewalk on her hands and knees, didn't wash her ceilings. She painted them every couple of years and dusted the corners and edges every week-no washing and she was OCD about cleaning.

I do not wash my ceilings. I might if a skillet caught on fire in the kitchen or something lke that.

USE IT UP, WEAR IT OUT, MAKE IT DO OR DO WITHOUT.

IF YOUR UPKEEP EXCEEDS YOUR INCOME THEN YOUR OUTGO WILL BE YOUR DOWNFALL.
shortbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:41 AM   #20
clutter
Princess's Mom
The TF is sorry that you were overlooked, we've been really busy lately! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbun View Post
My Grandmother, who washed trees and her sidewalk on her hands and knees, didn't wash her ceilings. She painted them every couple of years and dusted the corners and edges every week-no washing and she was OCD about cleaning.
Is this auto-correct, or did she really wash trees??

That said, I clean as little as possible so my ceilings get dusted when/if I see cobwebs.
clutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:42 AM   #21
crz4mm2
Most of the time I just sit and scratch my head...

Never have.

crz4mm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:43 AM   #22
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

I don't wash them with soap and water but once a week I do dust mop them.
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:00 AM   #23
KimR
DIS Veteran
Needs to lay off the Murder Mysteries before Dental Appointments!

I don't, but my mother used to. She was a clean-freak though. Once a month she used to make me empty out all my dresser drawers and vacuum them. I also used to have to take everything off the top shelf of my closet, dust that, then put it all back. It seemed so pointless to me. Our house was spotless, though.

My MIL was almost as bad. I don't think she cleaned the ceilings, but she insists that she used to clean her bathrooms 3 times a day. Who has time for that?

2000 - GF; 2000 - BC; 03 - GF; 04 - YC; 05 - GF; 06, 07 - YC; 08 - GF; 09, 10 - YC; 12 - YC

Just the basics:
Are two-year-olds too young to go to Disney? It depends upon their temperament. One way to find out: take them there. After all, they're only young for a short time. You're sure to enjoy your trip if you plan ahead! AND - don't forget those all-important dining reservations; they fill up so fast it's ridiculous. Have I forgotten anything? Oh yes - I'd advise you to carry a small purse or bag for loose items so you don't lose them on rides. You'll have a great vacation if you follow my advice!
KimR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:20 AM   #24
mickeysgal
Orange you glad I like Knock Knock jokes?
"I am Mrs. Nesbitt" - Buzz Lightyear

I had a neighbor who told me that her husband would designate a night every other week for them to clean walls with soap and water in one room. When they finished the house, they would start all over. They're divorced now.
mickeysgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:50 AM   #25
punkin
Went through pain just to look like a lopsided Whoopi Goldberg

Yes, I have cleaned my ceilings. Generally, I only clean in bedrooms when I would paint, but bathroom and (particularly) kitchen ceilings get washed once a year. I also spot clean over the stove every month or so or it gets greasy and disgusting.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:08 AM   #26
java
I am embracing the Turkey Butt
We have the mentally insane lab and the incredibly flatulent Bulldog
I'm the mean wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeysgal View Post
I had a neighbor who told me that her husband would designate a night every other week for them to clean walls with soap and water in one room. When they finished the house, they would start all over. They're divorced now.

Seriously? No ceiling washing taking place here. But then again you are in a more desert type dusty area than I am I would guess. So maybe then I would wash my ceiling. Mine don't look dirty? How dirty could a ceiling get? What's going on up there?
java is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:11 AM   #27
HM
A tag from the TF is better than a personalized licence plate

OP, I've never heard of anyone doing that. But I suppose, if you or someone in your house was a smoker, it would probably be a good idea.
HM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:14 PM   #28
JamesMom
DIS Veteran

While I do about 2x a year wash my walls and baseboards, it never occured to me to clean the ceiling other than vacuuming up a cobweb.

Trip Report: May 9-15, 2010 - Mother & Son at POR w/Free QS Dinning: http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post36675492

Trip Report: December 14-20, 2008 - Mother and Son (6yo) at Contemporary w/Free Dinning: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2038015
JamesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:54 PM   #29
Andtototoo
DIS Veteran

We washed flat surfaces when I was a kid and my parents were both smokers.

Since then, I haven't seen the need.
Andtototoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 03:10 PM   #30
KristaTX
♥DIS Veteran♥
I never knew that Fruit of the Looms were souvenirs from my state

I've never washed my walls, let alone my ceiling. But we don't smoke and we don't have kids. I don't even have to mop that often.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: