Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Camping at Disney World
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2006, 09:45 PM   #1
DisneyGirl928
Mouseketeer

Question Fort Wilderness Camping...Has anyone done this?

My DF and I wanted to add an extra night to Disney and we thought this would be an interesting way to add a night and it is cheaper too!...We were thinking of camping at Fort Wildreness in a tent for a night! ..Now we have never done this before and the thought of camping in a tent sounded interesting and it would only be for one night...Has anyone ever done this in a tent? If so, what was it like?
Old 07-27-2006, 09:51 PM   #2
irishbosoxfan
BL II - Red Team
DIS Veteran
I took one of those biscuit cans in the chest a few years ago

We just came back from FW and we loved it--That being said I think to camp for just one night at the end of your stay wouldn't really be feasible given the amount of equipment you need----But if you just plan to rough it just the tent no tarp or groundcover or anything it may be ok!

When do you plan on going??
Register to remove

Old 07-27-2006, 09:56 PM   #3
DisneyGirl928
Mouseketeer

We were planning on adding this one night before we check into our resort before the week and we are driving to so we will have our car with us. We are going Aug. 12-18th and we were going to add the night the 11th to the 12th before we check into our resort!...We weren't sure if many people camped with tents..we figured it was mostly campers
Old 07-27-2006, 10:03 PM   #4
irishbosoxfan
BL II - Red Team
DIS Veteran

If you have your car go for it!! LOTS of people tent camp...We did,and we flew there!

The basics would be a tent-enough for you and your SO,maybe an airmattress(pillows,sheets-Won't need a blanket as it will be hot), tarp for over your tent in case it rains so you won't get soaked--Groundcover for under your tent, something to wipe down picnic table---flashlight,portable light(propane or batteries,battery is better)so you can see at campsite at night

I think thats about it--If I remember anything else I'll let you know or if later you think of any ?? feel free to pm me!
Old 07-27-2006, 11:19 PM   #5
striker3636
Gets visits from Tinkerbell at night
Holding, holding, holding...

Check out the camping boards here on the DIS. Many of us do have campers, but there are plenty who tent at FW too. We love FW, but couldn't imagine such a short stay there (for us, I mean!). There are so many things to enjoy that you might miss, unless you are planning to spend some time at FW itself, rather than just as a place to lay your head!

self-confessed Disney-holic
Fort Wilderness Feb 2005, Feb 2006.
WL Dec 16-21/06 - Surprised the kids for Christmas!
FINALLY coming home again Jan 23-Feb5/2011
striker3636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 09:42 AM   #6
clkelley
I squealed really loud!!
I got one on my camper too

I LOVE to camp. However, I won't set up the tent for just one night. Won't do it, just too much work!!

Also, think of this. If you are doing the one night at Ft. Wilderness at the beginning of the trip, what if it is raining or really damp when you break camp. Where are you going to spread out your tent to let it dry before you pack it up??

Spread it inside your car?? Hang it up in your hotel room??

Opening up a damp tent once you get back home is a mess!! You might as well throw it out!!
clkelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 01:31 PM   #7
HeatherPage
Proud mommy, wife and WDW fan!
I didn't realize I had stumbled onto here

My husband and I tent camped one night in July several years ago (only once) it was hot!!! There was a huge Thunderstorm that day for about an hour (very common in the summer) we hung out in our car until it passed as we were at the campground when it happened. My husband was dripping sweat and tired by the time he put the tent up (did I mention it was hot?) and no where to really relax and get out of the heat coming back from the park during the day. More power to you if you think you'd enjoy it, but I think if we ever tried to tent camp again (anywhere, not just Ft. Wilderness) it would be in the Fall or Winter.

HeatherPage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 03:24 PM   #8
Tickla
Mouseketeer

We tent camped for 5 nights last December--it was great until our last night--it rained all day and night the day before and ended up staying in a cabin our last night. We had puddles INSIDE our tent--and it was a Coleman that was guaranteed NOT to leak. We had to pack up a SOAKED tent and drive home to Minnesota where it sat FROZEN in our cars trunk until April. Then we set it up to dry out, Febreezed it, and wouldn't you know we are headed back to tent camp again for 8 nights this coming January?!?! Are we crazy or what? But we are coming with some tarps this time!
Tickla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 03:31 PM   #9
pixiewytch
DIS Veteran

My family does a lot of tent camping, love FW, but I second the idea that camping for one night is really more trouble than its worth. I might do two nights but not one. It is a pain to set up your tent, bedding, and other items just to take it all down the next day. It doesn't seem like you would have much time to actually enjoy the experience. On the other hand I can see switching resorts for one night because there isn't any prep involved on your part. If you want a change of pace I would suggest doing that instead. You may not think tent camping, even for a night, involves a lot of packing or work but you might be surprised.
pixiewytch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 03:31 PM   #10
rer1972
DIS Veteran
Full of DISinformation
Snake balloons and computer torture. I knew I shouldn't have majored in business

The tarps are definetely a good idea. As much as it rains there I wouldn't set up camp without them. Tickla my cousin and I have got you beat on the craziness. We're flying to Orlando in February (he works for Continental so that's almost free), and tent camping at FW.

Villas at Wilderness Lodge (Oct 2013, Dec 2010, Sept 2009, & Dec 2008), Animal Kingdom Lodge (Sept 2008), Ft. Wilderness Camp Ground (Aug 2007 & Feb 2007), Pop Century (Dec 2010, Sept 2009, & Aug 2007), All-Star Movies (2006), Dolphin Resort (1998), Off-Site (2002, 1999, 1996, 1994, & 1992)
rer1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 03:39 PM   #11
irishbosoxfan
BL II - Red Team
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rer1972
The tarps are definetely a good idea. As much as it rains there I wouldn't set up camp without them. Tickla my cousin and I have got you beat on the craziness. We're flying to Orlando in February (he works for Continental so that's almost free), and tent camping at FW.

WELL we beat you to the craziness!! All 7 of us---Me,DH and 5 kids--- Flew to tent camp in FW in JULY!!! I think our crazy meter blew up!!
Old 07-28-2006, 03:49 PM   #12
rer1972
DIS Veteran
Full of DISinformation
Snake balloons and computer torture. I knew I shouldn't have majored in business

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishbosoxfan
WELL we beat you to the craziness!! All 7 of us---Me,DH and 5 kids--- Flew to tent camp in FW in JULY!!! I think our crazy meter blew up!!
Yes, but the memories?!?!

Villas at Wilderness Lodge (Oct 2013, Dec 2010, Sept 2009, & Dec 2008), Animal Kingdom Lodge (Sept 2008), Ft. Wilderness Camp Ground (Aug 2007 & Feb 2007), Pop Century (Dec 2010, Sept 2009, & Aug 2007), All-Star Movies (2006), Dolphin Resort (1998), Off-Site (2002, 1999, 1996, 1994, & 1992)
rer1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 03:51 PM   #13
irishbosoxfan
BL II - Red Team
DIS Veteran

Aaahhhh Priceless!!!!
Old 07-29-2006, 06:31 PM   #14
JJClemson
DIS Veteran

DF and I tent camped for 2 nights in May 05. We decided last minute to add 2 nights to the beginning of our stay, so we chose FW for the $. DF is super-nature boy so he has all the camping gear and set it all up in no time. If your guy is like this, then I am sure setting up camp for one night would not be a problem. We did have fun, and it was a different way to do Disney, but I was happy to get to the BC when our 2 FW nights were over. We're going to Disney in Dec and DF wants to tent camp the whole time (5 nights), and I am not sure if I can do it...
JJClemson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 04:35 PM   #15
ConcKahuna
Corn was on sale, 10 ears for $3, of course it was cheaper at The Root Of All Evil

You can also reserve a tent through FW. It's $30 a night (plus tax), but they set it up for you and take it down after you leave!

Camping, hassle-free!
ConcKahuna is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: