Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2012, 12:48 PM   #1
Twinprincesses
DIS Veteran

No Credit card hotel and car rental.

We do not have a credit card and I just found out that the car rental place does not take cash paying customers. Thrifty told me you have to pass a credit check first or they will not rent us the car.

Any advice on a car rental place that will accept cash.debit. Also does Disney Hotels require a credit card upon checkin?
Disney Dream October 2011
Vero Beach 7/2010
Disney Wonder 10/2009, Disney Magic 10/2008
Disneyland 10/2007 & 10/2006 , DisneyWorld 20+ trips

Twinprincesses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:56 PM   #2
Girimama33
"I've disgraced the forces of evil."

Most if not all hotels are going to require a credit card upon check in so that they can put a hold on the card for incidental fees. You may want to call your hotel to see what amount per day you need to leave with them to cover the incidental costs...it is usually $50-100 a day.
As far as the rental car goes, I would imagine you would have to have a credit card to rent a car in order to cover anything that may happen to the car.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-24-2012, 01:58 PM   #3
disneegrl4eva
now we just need a secret handshake or sign...
...because I'm special like that

I cant answer about the car rental although you might want to check with National...I know at least in vegas, with National, if you show your round trip airline ticket and you pay the charges up front with a debit card then they will rent to you...as far as Anaheim..I dont know...call them though...

in regards to hotel..you can use a debit card as long as there is a visa or master card logo oh and that goes for the above car rental thing too...
Old 09-24-2012, 02:00 PM   #4
hlbtimes2
Stretch that spine out big and tall!
Oh, you arent paying? Dang!

Alamo car rental, in CA, will rent you a car with cash or a debit card if you have proof of a return flight. (they will not rent you a car in WA state without a credit card). If you use a debit card they DO NOT hold an extra deposit, like some of the other rental car companies do.

Most hotels will make a reservation with your debit card. Be sure when you reserve that you find out how many nights in advance they will be charging to your card or what kind of preapproval they will be getting. Sometimes it can hold up funds in your account for a few days. When you check in they should be able to take cash or your debit card. They may hold a few extra dollars, typically $50 for things like phone calls. They will release it when after you leave if you dont owe them anything.

We do not use credit cards, just debie and cash. We do not have a problem traveling.
Old 09-24-2012, 02:05 PM   #5
ImTooExcitedToSleep
Disneyland Correspondent for The DIS UnpluggedI'll try to pop in later
Doh! Yeah, that one

If your reservation is fully paid in advance and you don't plan on charging anything to your room, you do NOT have to leave a deposit at the Disneyland Resort Hotels. I've even prepaid parking fees so I didn't have to use my debit card.
ImTooExcitedToSleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:09 PM   #6
mouseymommy
I love the smell of Pirates

When we stay at the BWPPI we give our debit card when we make the reservation, and pay cash at check in. I think they held $30 on my debit for the first couple stays with them. We have also used debit for car rentals, we just have to call around and ask who takes debit instead of credit.
mouseymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:22 PM   #7
KalamityJane
DIS Veteran

I have debit and credit but honestly, I have never had an issue renting moving trucks with my debit/credit - you can usually get a debit/credit card from your bank for no fee (that is not actually a credit card in the sense that you have a credit limit but to companies that require a credit card, this will work). I would try that and you can always cancel the card after if you want to stay cash only.
KalamityJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:26 PM   #8
Mel90210
Earning My Ears

I apologize if you already mentioned...but there are some debit cards you can pick up in retail stores....we did that for our oldest when he was traveling.....that way we could load money for him. You are supposed to be 18.....but I just put myself with him as an additional holder.
Mel90210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:28 PM   #9
6Smiles
DIS Veteran

I can't hep with the car rental, however at the hotels we are staying they are both willing to take cash for the deposit and for the payment of the hotel. Reservations were made with our debit card.
Old 09-24-2012, 02:41 PM   #10
Lorinda
Mouseketeer

I rent rooms and cars all the time with my debit/credit card. It has a visa logo on it and I just tell them it's credit. As long as it has a visa or mastercard etc logo I don't think it's a problem. I use enterprise for car rentals.

Last trip ... 6/2/2012 thru 6/6/2012

recent trip : Last week of April 2011

Me,hubby, 3 daughters, 1 son, 2 son in laws, 6 grand children ! 2,3,6,10,11,11 14 total !
Lorinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:45 PM   #11
Lorinda
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorinda View Post
I rent rooms and cars all the time with my debit/credit card. It has a visa logo on it and I just tell them it's credit. As long as it has a visa or mastercard etc logo I don't think it's a problem. I use enterprise for car rentals.
Be aware though with the car rental the day you pick it up they put a hold on your card of the full amount of the rental. Then when you come back with the car they actually charge it. To make a reservation with them go to their online site this does not require a card it is optional.

Last trip ... 6/2/2012 thru 6/6/2012

recent trip : Last week of April 2011

Me,hubby, 3 daughters, 1 son, 2 son in laws, 6 grand children ! 2,3,6,10,11,11 14 total !
Lorinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 03:12 PM   #12
Malcon10t
DIS Veteran

You can pay it all upfront and not have to use a credit card. You can also leave a cash deposit for things such as wifi/parking/phone/movies. There are a few places that require a credit card to check in, so ask first.

Cars, I've always had to use a debit/credit. And like was previous posted, they put a hold on the entire amount up front, so be prepared.
Malcon10t is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 04:12 PM   #13
krispin41
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImTooExcitedToSleep
If your reservation is fully paid in advance and you don't plan on charging anything to your room, you do NOT have to leave a deposit at the Disneyland Resort Hotels. I've even prepaid parking fees so I didn't have to use my debit card.
I was just going to mention this as well. We did this on our last two trips when staying at PPH. If you choose to have your.card on file, it's $50.
krispin41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 04:51 PM   #14
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

I usually stay onsite at least once every year (sometimes twice), for a few nights at a time. My last few stays have been at the PPH (before that I stayed at the GCH), and I booked with a debit card each time. Most debit cards these days - as long as they have Visa or Master Card logos on them - can be used anywhere or in any way a credit card would be used. There may be a few exceptions, but most can be used that way.

I've handled my reservations several different ways. I have paid the entire amount due on the debit card in advance so that it was all taken care of before arrival.

I've also paid some of the amount due in advance and paid the rest upon check-in - and I've paid the balance due at check-in with both cash and with a debit card. The CM stopped any other charge from appearing on my card except for the incidentals hold (which was lifted about 5 days later).

I've also paid some of what's due in advance (a deposit is required for the Disney hotels unless you have a special offer of some kind that waives it, or unless you pay the entire amount due up front), and then paid the remainder of the room off in multiple Disney gift cards...except for that the CM at the front desk did not apply the gift card credit to my total due when I checked in and they went ahead and applied the full balance due to my debit card anyway. They also put the balance on a debit card that I didn't tell them they could use (they just pulled a card number that was in their system). The CM claimed that gift card credits are usually deducted at the end of one's stay, and that the total bill is adjusted at that point. I've been told by a different CM, however, that they have a way of stopping those automatic charges to your card at check-in and can apply the gift card credit at check-in instead of at check-out.

Last year I was not required to pay any kind of deposit up front for my PPH stay because it was a special offer. I even asked them if I could pay something up front and they wouldn't do it that way (it was a reservation made through a different department of Disney and not through the regular channels). This was all well and good except for that they still tried to charge me for my one totally free night anyway. Fortunately I caught it before I checked out and got them to stop the charge before it appeared on my debit card.

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12
Sherry E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:09 PM   #15
AZwldcats
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry E View Post
I usually stay onsite at least once every year (sometimes twice), for a few nights at a time. My last few stays have been at the PPH (before that I stayed at the GCH), and I booked with a debit card each time. Most debit cards these days - as long as they have Visa or Master Card logos on them - can be used anywhere or in any way a credit card would be used. There may be a few exceptions, but most can be used that way.

I've handled my reservations several different ways. I have paid the entire amount due on the debit card in advance so that it was all taken care of before arrival.

I've also paid some of the amount due in advance and paid the rest upon check-in - and I've paid the balance due at check-in with both cash and with a debit card. The CM stopped any other charge from appearing on my card except for the incidentals hold (which was lifted about 5 days later).

I've also paid some of what's due in advance (a deposit is required for the Disney hotels unless you have a special offer of some kind that waives it, or unless you pay the entire amount due up front), and then paid the remainder of the room off in multiple Disney gift cards...except for that the CM at the front desk did not apply the gift card credit to my total due when I checked in and they went ahead and applied the full balance due to my debit card anyway. They also put the balance on a debit card that I didn't tell them they could use (they just pulled a card number that was in their system). The CM claimed that gift card credits are usually deducted at the end of one's stay, and that the total bill is adjusted at that point. I've been told by a different CM, however, that they have a way of stopping those automatic charges to your card at check-in and can apply the gift card credit at check-in instead of at check-out.

Last year I was not required to pay any kind of deposit up front for my PPH stay because it was a special offer. I even asked them if I could pay something up front and they wouldn't do it that way (it was a reservation made through a different department of Disney and not through the regular channels). This was all well and good except for that they still tried to charge me for my one totally free night anyway. Fortunately I caught it before I checked out and got them to stop the charge before it appeared on my debit card.
How much was the Incidental hold?
AZwldcats is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: