Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Planning Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2012, 05:01 PM   #1
owensdad
Mouseketeer

The trip of a lifetime for a very special boy!!

Thought i'd share our plans for an (hopefully!) upcoming trip of a lifetime for our family, but mainly for our son Owen.

Owen is 6, he is severely disabled both physically and mentally, his underlying condition is Menkes disease, unfortunately its also terminal and when we got his diagnosis after 2.5 years of tests we were told in a nutshell that he may only live for a few months longer, but he is 6 now and is our little star, the light of our lives and we have pretty much dedicated ours to making his a happy one!

Our hope is to take Owen back to Florida for a wonderful trip, we did visit Florida almost 2 years ago now with Make A Wish which was absolutely wonderful, Owen just loved it and the heat was great for him, unfortunately we only had a week out there and no sooner had we just settled then it was time to head back, so ever since then we have wanted to take Owen back for a much longer stay and to really soak everything up with a trip of a lifetime.

We have had trips to Disney Paris which is great and Owen just adores the whole Disney thing, DLP is so easy for us with the Eurostar which does make is much simpler, long haul to Florida is a different kettle of fish completely!

We have/are fundraising for a potential trip as it will cost quite a bit, due to Owen's severe disability we have no choice really but to go first class, he needs to be able to lie pretty flat quite a bit and things like changing him is not easy on a plane, they just have no disabled facilities at all, last time on his Make A Wish he was much smaller but it was almost impossible to change him, we had to do it on the floor of the galley area with stewardesses holding sheets up so nobody could see, an awful situation really. So the only realistic way now would be first class as Owen is bigger and at home we now have to use hoists to move him around alot.

We are aiming at 16 days sometime next year and staying within Disney itself, we can pretty much leave hiring any kind of car then as the odd days outside of Disney we can just taxi, it makes sense I think as we would need a wheelchair accessible vehicle otherwise which would cost a fair bit.

So there we have it, the unfortunate thing is that we always have to think of these trips away as possibly the last with Owen, his condition will get the better of him in the end and we know he is very much on borrowed time so we try and do our very best for him. Our aim in life is to make his life as happy as can be.

Here is a little piccy of our little star -

also a link to our website for him if anybody wants more info on his condition etc.

www.owenmorrison.co.uk

So hopefully Florida 2013 will become a reality.
owensdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 05:26 PM   #2
Rach78
Mouseketeer

What a wonderful, special little boy you have. I hope your dreams of a holiday to Florida next year come true.
Rach
Register to remove

Old 09-21-2012, 05:51 PM   #3
dixonsontour
DIS Veteran

What a lovely post..hope everything works out for your family and you can go again in 2013.

Do post to let us know how your plans are shaping up.

I know when I was looking at art of animation they seemed to have lots of different sorts of accessible rooms.
20+ trips to USA 1997 onwards including All Star Movies Dec 2009 with DDP, OKW Oct 2010 with DDP, Floridays Resort Oct 2011, Bahama Bay resort May 2012, OKW Oct 2012 with DxDDP, All Star Movies Oct 2013 with DDP, Cabana bay and Universal Oct 2014

DH 40 Me 39 DD 8

Perfectly Princess Tea Party Review Disney Dining 2010 Review
Dining on a budget - $100 a day with coupons All new Dining on a Budget of $100 May 2012
Dixons go Deluxe Oct/Nov 12
dixonsontour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:12 PM   #4
Pinky166
a little on the OCD side
very impulsive, which doesn’t bode well for our credit cards!
They don't call me "Clever Claire" for nothing!

I truly hope your trip next year will be Magical for your family. Please keep us updated of your plans.

Owen looks full of Character in that photo, what a cutie.

Sept 2000 - I-Drive, Sept 2002 - Kissimmee, Sept 2003 - AKL, Sept/Oct 2006 - Univ PBR, June 2008 - DLRP, Hotel NY, Dec 2008 - Univ HRH, WL & YC, Sept 2009 - OKW, 4n Wonder & Poly, June 2010 - BLT, Nov 2010 - DLRP, Sequoia Lodge, Jan 2011 - Univ RPR, Dream Maiden Voyage & AKV, Sept 2011 - 14n WBTA & BLT, Oct 2012 - Paris & DLRP, June 2013 - 7n Med Cruise, Oct 2013 - Univ RPR, SSR, & Fantasy, May 2014 - 12n EBTA, Sept 2014 - 14n WBTA, May 2015 - 15n EBTA, Sept 2015 - West Coast Road trip & Disneyland
Pinky166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:25 PM   #5
madmumof2
DIS Veteran

Your little boy has the most beautiful eyes I have ever seen! I really hope you can give him such a magical trip :D

Oct 2012 - 2 weeks Southern Dunes+1 night at the Hard Rock Hotel!
Oct 2009 - 2 weeks Pop Century
Jan 2000 - 2 weeks Ramada Inn International Drive
Oct/Nov 1995 - 5 weeks Lindfields Villa, Kissimmee
madmumof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:28 PM   #6
Cinderella2006
Fairy Tale Wedding 1st November 2006

What a lovely picture! We went to Florida in May with Make a Wish, my little boy is also disabled, he has a rare, life limiting form of epilepsy. We had such an awesome time at GKTW but it just flew by ... We are going back in October
So glad your little man has proved the professionals wrong ... These kids defy all odds I hope you manage to fundraise all the money needed x

Our Fairytale Wedding: Disney's Wedding Pavillion 1st November 2006

Cinderella2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 03:03 AM   #7
owensdad
Mouseketeer

GKTW was just fantastic, such a lovely place filled with wonderful people, but like you say the time just flies by, 2 days pretty much with the travelling etc which doesn't leave much time, we missed Universal and just did Disney and Seaworld as we have to take it a bit easy for Owen, can't just hit the parks etc at full speed!

Hopefully things will work out as we plan, it really is a pain having to go first class though, as nice as it is the cost of it is ludicrous and thats whats difficult, airlines just don't seem to cater at all for passengers with severe physical disabilities, no toilet to use etc, its just crazy.
Old 09-22-2012, 03:36 AM   #8
irisheyes123
DIS Veteran

Beautiful post I hope you get to go on a wonderful trip next year . I travel with my brother who is mentally and physically handicapped hes is 39 years old so I know all too well about no changing facility's. We have no choice but to change him when we get off the flight we change him just before we get on and hope for the best. The great thing about America is how wheelchair friendly it is we get to so much with him that we have trouble doing here.

irisheyes123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 06:00 AM   #9
Samaya
DIS Veteran

What a great 'Little Star' and hope and pray your plans all come together for 2013.

Check out the following which I've copied from the web-site links below and it might be an option for when Owen is eight and older, but it does indicate it's a trip without the family, so it might not be an option that you would or could consider but if it is then keep it in mind for 2014 and beyond.

Retired and current BA cabin crew set up a charity call 'Dreamflight' it changes young lives by taking seriously ill and disabled children from all over the UK on a life-changing holiday to Orlando.

Dreamflight, which has operated every year since 1987, believes that fun and joy are just as important as medical research and equipment.

A British Airways Boeing 747 is chartered once per year and children spend 10 magical days away from family, to discover independence, confidence, and a whole new outlook on life.

Many could not undertake such a trip without the support of the army of doctors, nurses, physiotherapists and non-medical volunteers who care for the children 24 hours a day.

Hope the information is helpful, enjoy planning your 2013 holiday and good luck with your 'Events & Fundraising', laughed when I read that Owen's brave Grandma jumped out of a perfectly good plane!!! Did he enjoy it?

http://www.dreamflight.org/

http://www.onedestination.co.uk/comm.../dream-flight/
Old 09-22-2012, 06:02 AM   #10
Wills Mom
DIS Veteran

Awww your son is beautiful! I genuinely hope everything goes according to plan and that you and your family enjoy the trip of a lifetime!

Wills First Adventure TR May 2013

Wills Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 06:45 AM   #11
catherine
Hey not fair, you guys already have a bunch of tags, and poor me I haven't got one
Cheer up. You've been tagged by the tag fairie

I so admire what you are doing for your beautiful son. I really hope that all your plans work out and that you fund raisers are successful.

"In the middle of difficulty, lies opportunity." Albert Einstein

catherine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 04:24 AM   #12
owensdad
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the replies.

We did look at Dreamflight but due to the complexity of Owen's condition and needs we would never leave him with anyone else, plus he's such a mummy's boy and loves his cuddles too much. We had a disaster in 2010 when my wife left Owen at the hospital for 30 mins to pop home and get some stuff, Owen was fine when she left and they were talking about discharge the following day or so, however when she got back to the hospital he was in a right state, I think he had choked a bit as he had severe reflux then, he just went downhill so quickly, overnight was awful and the next day they prepared us for the worst, they got him on life support and whisked us off to a much larger hospital where Owen spent a month on life support and it was the worst time of our lives, we really thought we had lost him. But it all came good in the end and 5 months later he was his old self again.

As you can see with stuff like this going on we just never leave his side now in the hospital.
Old 09-23-2012, 05:17 AM   #13
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me
i cannot wear anything between my toes

i hope your trip becomes a reality!!
Old 09-23-2012, 06:17 AM   #14
joolz1910
I would have gone down to reception in my robe and slippers
I can't decide if it's sweet or sinister

What a lovely photo of your beautiful son.

I had never considered that the facilities in economy do not meet the needs of disabled passengers - it's outrageous! I hope your trip becomes a reality and is everything you want it to be.
2009 DLRP (DLH)
'Just Like we Dreamed it...at the DLH'
2011 DLP (Cheyenne)
2012 OKW at WDW 'A Whole New World'

joolz1910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:33 AM   #15
Samaya
DIS Veteran

If you are flying with Virgin and not done so already try contacting their special assistance team on 0844 412 4455, they may have some answers that might make flying a little easier.

Also could booking two premium seats for Owen or two-three economy seats behind the middle galley where he could lay out be an alternative and therefore cheaper than First for you all?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: