Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2012, 07:37 PM   #31
boogabuzz
DIS Veteran

Wow...all this has me nervous. I'm going to implement a rule to the family that we have to wash our hands every time we enter our stateroom. Keep the germs out!!

I also think I will be bringing my unused Rx of phenergan for myself and DH and my sons unused Zofran suspension. I always bring a whole drug box with me anyway, along with packets of EmergenC.
boogabuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:43 PM   #32
4bsingreece
Earning My Ears

We were on the dream 9/16-9/20. On the 19th my finance got a fever and tummy issues. We got home on the 20th and both my girls were vomiting and had fevers :/
4bsingreece is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-24-2012, 08:10 PM   #33
BAT
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeka65844 View Post
I wonder if sometimes people mistake a sensitive stomach for norovirus.

We cruised in June and DH and I had been on an aggressive diet beforehand. Our stomachs were not ready for the rich food that we had on board. Let's not talk about the Bearnaise sauce at the EG for dinner.....

Not once did we ever assume it was "norovirus" or food poisoning. We just figured it was our temperamental tummies!
Maybe... my dd got Norovirus once. We were called to pick her up from a sleepover, less than an hour later 2 other kids had been sent home. Parents hosting the sleepover were horrified that they had made these kids sick. By the next day, however, everybody learned that a huge number of kids from the school were sick. That highly contagious aspect was very clear.... I think it was about 20-30% students/teachers depending on the grade. School was completely sanitized....
BAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:19 PM   #34
Yokelridesagain
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmouse37 View Post
Sorry to hear your husband was ill...but how do you know it was norovirus and not just the flu or something else. Also sorry you had a snarky nurse.

MJ
"The flu" (influenza) does not cause the GI symptoms listed. What people informally call "the stomach flu" is viral gastroenteritis, and norovirus is the most common cause of same, on a cruise ship or off.
Yokelridesagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:07 PM   #35
sweetpee_1993
DIS Veteran

My mom got a really serious type of food poisoning from under-cooked chicken at a Hard Rock Cafe about 12 years or so ago. She went to her doctor after 5 days. They drew blood and did cultures. I don't know the name of it but it was something bad enough that the local health department as well as the health department where the restaurant was contacted her. Her stomach was a mess for several months. If took her almost a year to get back to 100%. I've never heard of anyone having a food poisoning like that before or since. It was so bad. To this day when she eats in restaurants she orders all her meat burnt. Yuck! But I don't guess I can blame her. LOL!
Disney Adventures: 1/04 POP, 1/05 POP, 2/06 POP, 1/07 POP, 12/07 CR, 5/08 POFQ sans kids, 1/09 CR, 5/09 Poly w/o the family, 1/10 AKL, 11/10 POFQ, 9/11 WL+DCL Dream+YC, 5/12 DCL Magic, 9/12 DCL Dream sans kids, 1/13 DCL Magic, 5/13 DCL Fantasy, 9/13 DCL Dream w/friends, 9/13 DCL Fantasy sans kids, 4/14 DLH/Disneyland

Other Adventures:
11/13 RCI Allure of the Seas

Future Adventures:
9/14 DCL Dream w/friends
9/14 DCL Wonder Double Dip 2x B2B (4 stops at CC!)
5/15 DCL Wonder WBPC
11/15 DCL Wonder
sweetpee_1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:34 PM   #36
SharonLowe
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogabuzz View Post
Wow...all this has me nervous. I'm going to implement a rule to the family that we have to wash our hands every time we enter our stateroom. Keep the germs out!!
I was on the 8/24/12 Dream cruise and I was amazed at how many people left the restroom without washing their hands. I definitely washed my hands every time and used the paper towel to turn off the tap, when necessary, and open the bathroom door.

If everyone followed these simple suggestions, which DCL posts in every public bathroom, there would be a lot less sickness on board.

Dream Cruise - August 2012, Poly - June 2012, WWOHP - November 2011, Wonder Cruise - November 2010, Poly - April 2010, July 2009, AKL - October 2008, AKL - November 2007, AKL and CR - June 2007, NH and RPR - October 2006, AKL - May 2006, WL - July 2005, AKL - October 2004, AKL - August 2003. AKL - April 2002, OKW - August 2001
And many more....
SharonLowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:42 PM   #37
boogabuzz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonLowe View Post
I was on the 8/24/12 Dream cruise and I was amazed at how many people left the restroom without washing their hands. I definitely washed my hands every time and used the paper towel to turn off the tap, when necessary, and open the bathroom door.

If everyone followed these simple suggestions, which DCL posts in every public bathroom, there would be a lot less sickness on board.
I'm a chronic hand washer because I'm in healthcare. Luckily my toddler has picked up on this habit. He is very good about keeping his paws washed. We are gonna be some hand washing fools on this cruise. Target sells travel size packets of Clorax cleanup wipes. May bring some of those as well as hand santizer wipes.
boogabuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:48 PM   #38
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran

You can't help what bugs are out there on door knobs, handrails, etc. but you can help when your hands go in your mouth (or nose). We are very careful about handwashing as much as reasonably possible. I encourage my kids to not put their hands in/near their mouth or nose. If your eyes/nose itches (allergy sufferers understand) at least use a tissue or paper towel. You never know what you just touched and what germs are on your hands.

I've seen so many little kids touching so many things then put their hands in their mouth (or nose) Ick!
Old 09-27-2012, 10:00 PM   #39
jdjd2004
Earning My Ears

Well, it definitely wasn't food poisoning. I ended up getting the same symptoms as DH on Monday evening. Was out of commission all day Tuesday and most of Wednesday. Finally feeling better today, but still suffering with dizziness. Apparently, there is a virulent strain going around in Florida. A friend of mine who is a nurse said several nurses at her hospital were out with it. One was even hospitalized. I can believe it after going through it myself. Keep those hands washed, folks. And don't let anyone barf on you!
jdjd2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:45 PM   #40
ready2 cruise
Mouseketeer

buffet: the serving spoons and everything else people touch to serve themselves...makes me consider eating at a sit down only or bringing my own serving spoons!
what kind of wipes are best as I just read that hand sanitizer wont work?
ready2 cruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:19 PM   #41
disney1990
Wow, it make my heart skip a beat
I'm going to miss these when the season ends
Lighting the Way to Paradise

Serving utensils are changed out on a very regular basis at the buffets for just this reason. If you are concerned, get your food in line and then clean your hands again before you eat your meal.

disney1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 12:18 AM   #42
sweetiee
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpee_1993
My mom got a really serious type of food poisoning from under-cooked chicken at a Hard Rock Cafe about 12 years or so ago. She went to her doctor after 5 days. They drew blood and did cultures. I don't know the name of it but it was something bad enough that the local health department as well as the health department where the restaurant was contacted her. Her stomach was a mess for several months. If took her almost a year to get back to 100%. I've never heard of anyone having a food poisoning like that before or since. It was so bad. To this day when she eats in restaurants she orders all her meat burnt. Yuck! But I don't guess I can blame her. LOL!
I wonder if she had Shigella. It is similar to salmonella but very severe. Our daughter came down with this a couple years ago and the clinic dr told us it was strep. Haha... Days later we had her in the ER and she was there three days until the cultures we took finally came back to tell us it was a very rare illness, Shigella. The culture took three days to grow, which is why it took so long to diagnose her. Her poor tummy was striped raw from it and took months to get halfway normal. They usually only see this about once a year or less. so of course the health dept. called us after we came home. We really think she picked it up from the play pool we had outside. Anything could have been in the hose when we ran the water and hoses are common ways. It also could have been food at a restaurant or school. No one else had it though.
I do not like using buffet utensils because I have seen people lick their fingers, then grab a spoon, or sneeze and wipe then grab. Ugh. I wonder if I would look weird if I kept some gloves in my pocket for buffets so I wouldn't have to go back to the bathroom afterwards.
And yes, use the paper towel to turn off the water and open the door. I tech my kids that as well!
Old 09-29-2012, 07:58 AM   #43
EDelashmit
Lover of anything Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by ready2 cruise View Post
buffet: the serving spoons and everything else people touch to serve themselves...makes me consider eating at a sit down only or bringing my own serving spoons!
what kind of wipes are best as I just read that hand sanitizer wont work?
Wet Ones are supposed to kill noro...

DCL - Fantasy August 2014
Aulani - June2014
Disney World - Wilderness Lodge January 2014
Disney World - Animal Kingdom Lodge December 2013
DCL - Magic October 2012
Disney World - All Star Music May 2011
Disney World - Port Orleans May 2009
Disney World - Wyndham September 2002
Disney World - Dolphin March 2000
Disney World - Polynesian June 1996 - Honeymoon, 1st trip ever to Disney - I was hooked from that moment on!!!
EDelashmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:15 AM   #44
Sparrow78
Mouseketeer

How common is this virus? May be a dumb question but does the flu shot help avoid it?

Sailing on the Magic again! Jan 25, 2015!

------
8 night Magic Cruise - Jan 18, 2013

Paradise Pier Hotel May 20-26, 2012
WDW August 7-14 2010
2nd DL trip! May 18-25, 2004
1st DL visit... 1 day rushed trip May 2001
Sparrow78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:29 AM   #45
bibbidibobbidibecky
The Fairy Godblogger

It amazes me how many people think the flu, which is actually a respiratory illness, is a stomach virus. Two totally different things. I cannot even convince my mother of this

We picked up a stomach virus on our first cruise in 2009 (four-day Wonder). It was awful. My whole family of five was laid up the day and day after we got off the ship. We saw a girl vomit outside the theater, so I feel certain it was going around the ship.

I was so paranoid for our Med cruise last summer that I brought Lysol spray and Clorox wipes and disinfected the entire room before I let anymore enter. We were very diligent about hand-washing and using sanitizer and luckily no one got sick! Now I understand these things can and will happen but taking a few extra steps can help avoid it.

DCL: 2014 Greek Isles out of Venice, 2011 Med out of Barcelona, 2009 4-night Wonder.
WDW: 2014 Jan., 2012 Oct., 2011 Oct., 2010 Oct., 2009 Dec., 2008 Oct., 2008 May, 2006 Oct., 1997 April, 1996 April, 1993 Feb., 1992 Feb., 1980s various trips, 1977 First trip.
DL California 2012: http://thefairygodblogger.blogspot.c...0Report%202012
DL Paris 2014
: http://thefairygodblogger.blogspot.c...eyland%20Paris
bibbidibobbidibecky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dream, illness, norovirus

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: