Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2012, 10:05 AM   #16
mammacaryn
Don't be a JERK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonniec View Post
Do you think that's only related to cruising? In January we stayed for a week at WDW in a resort and I came down with the same thing. Very intence flu symptoms. In fact, I didn't make it out of Epcot in time. But it was gone within 24 hours and I was able to carry on with the vacation. At the time, we only lived an hour away so it couldn't have been the water or anything.
Anyplace where you are around hundreds of other people your chances of catching a stomach virus are great. Sometimes one person,sometimes nobody, sometimes everyone in your group. So NO not just on cruise ships.

January 2009 Disney Wonder-Bahamas
March 2010 Disney Magic-Western Caribbean
March 2011 Disney Dream-Bahamas
May 2013 Disney Fantasy-Eastern Caribbean

Last edited by mammacaryn; 09-24-2012 at 11:57 AM.
mammacaryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:49 AM   #17
Bonniec
DIS Veteran

That's my thought as well. I imagine you have to be a bit more careful on a cruise but obviously those things can happen anytime, anywhere. It was wierd for me because no one else had any problems in my party. I'll just be carrying hand sanitizer in my bag on the ship. The only thing I really worry about it what my son may be picking up in the kid's club.
Register to remove

Old 09-24-2012, 01:05 PM   #18
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me
i cannot wear anything between my toes

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmhall2000 View Post
Me, too!! I did ingest some water while snorkeling. The only thing I ate different than family was the shrimp cocktail...but on the 9/8 cruise I became very ill...chills, body aches, nausea, intense intestinal cramping...lasted 24 hours but stayed very weak...it has been 10 days now and my gut still feels tender...it was really horrible.
Shrimp is another common cause of food poisoning...
Old 09-24-2012, 01:08 PM   #19
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonniec View Post
That's my thought as well. I imagine you have to be a bit more careful on a cruise but obviously those things can happen anytime, anywhere. It was wierd for me because no one else had any problems in my party. I'll just be carrying hand sanitizer in my bag on the ship. The only thing I really worry about it what my son may be picking up in the kid's club.
They are pretty good in the Oceaneer's Club. They actually do hand washing lectures and demos, and when a kid comes out of the bathroom the CM will ask them if they washed and then plunk some sanitizer in their hands.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:47 PM   #20
armywife2001
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
They are pretty good in the Oceaneer's Club. They actually do hand washing lectures and demos, and when a kid comes out of the bathroom the CM will ask them if they washed and then plunk some sanitizer in their hands.
Thats good to know!

1988-WDW (Off site)
11/2004-WDW (All-Star Sports)
4/2007-Tokyo Disneyland & Disney Sea
11/2011- WDW (Pop Century)
5/2012- Disneyland
4/2013- Disney Magic Cruise
12/2013- Disneyland
armywife2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 03:07 PM   #21
artemis908
EPCOTnaut

Hand sanitizer isn't effective in preventing norovirus, plain ole' soap and water is best.

And norovirus is a stomach virus, and stomach viruses can pretty much occur anywhere. So obviously anywhere with a group of people in close quarters is going to be more susceptible to it. Cruises, nursing homes, college dorms, etc.

I never use public bathrooms on cruise ships unless it's an absolute emergency, that's one of the worst places to pick it up.
artemis908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 03:15 PM   #22
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis908 View Post
Hand sanitizer isn't effective in preventing norovirus, plain ole' soap and water is best.

And norovirus is a stomach virus, and stomach viruses can pretty much occur anywhere. So obviously anywhere with a group of people in close quarters is going to be more susceptible to it. Cruises, nursing homes, college dorms, etc.

I never use public bathrooms on cruise ships unless it's an absolute emergency, that's one of the worst places to pick it up.
I was just going to say this! Hand washing is key. Even the hand wipes they give you aren't nearly enough. Wash your hands before every meal and try not to touch to many things on the way to the restaurants. I'm thinking things like elevator buttons and hand rails in the stairs.
sissy_ib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:33 PM   #23
EDelashmit
Lover of anything Disney

The red Wet Wipes are supposed to be the only wipes to kill noro. I seriously plan on walking around the ship with a canister full wiping everything...elevator buttons, staircase, anything I see people touching!

DCL - Fantasy August 2014
Aulani - June2014
Disney World - Wilderness Lodge January 2014
Disney World - Animal Kingdom Lodge December 2013
DCL - Magic October 2012
Disney World - All Star Music May 2011
Disney World - Port Orleans May 2009
Disney World - Wyndham September 2002
Disney World - Dolphin March 2000
Disney World - Polynesian June 1996 - Honeymoon, 1st trip ever to Disney - I was hooked from that moment on!!!
EDelashmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:41 PM   #24
disney1990
Wow, it make my heart skip a beat
I'm going to miss these when the season ends
Lighting the Way to Paradise

Alcohol based hand sanitizers are not, however, wipes are more effective because they help to "remove" viruses from than hands.

Hand washing, especially scrubbing between the fingers and the nails is preferred.

disney1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:47 PM   #25
Sunseeker17
Mouseketeer

Norovirus is circulating everywhere right now...sounds like the probable culprit...vomiting and/or diarrhea, fever/chills...nasty for 24-48 hours and then you feel really weak for a few days after, until you get your fluids back up. Norovirus is especially nasty for cruise ships...while you can get it from food made by someone who is or who has recently been sick with it, it can also come from environmental exposure...it lives on handrails, light switches, carpets, etc., that haven't been properly cleaned and disinfected. You can also get it by being in the vicinity of someone who is throwing up (or even in a room where someone has thrown up in the last little while, if not properly cleaned). That's why entire classrooms of kids can become sick if one throws up during class...the droplets get spread through the air. It's one nasty bug! Cruise ships generally have cleaning protocols for this virus since they don't want their reputation "soiled" (sorry, had to) by a huge outbreak of it. Keep your hands washed, try not to touch your eyes, nose or mouth, and keep your fingers crossed!

Sunseeker17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:59 PM   #26
flyersfan1129
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyholic family View Post
Shrimp is another common cause of food poisoning...
I had food poisoning from shrimp cocktail once, and we were on land. Boy, let me tell you, I was one sick puppy. I ended up in the hospital for three days, dehydrated. And yeah, I steer clear of shrimp now, because, well.... it was N A S T Y.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:04 PM   #27
jpeka65844
DIS Veteran

I wonder if sometimes people mistake a sensitive stomach for norovirus.

We cruised in June and DH and I had been on an aggressive diet beforehand. Our stomachs were not ready for the rich food that we had on board. Let's not talk about the Bearnaise sauce at the EG for dinner.....

Not once did we ever assume it was "norovirus" or food poisoning. We just figured it was our temperamental tummies!

jpeka65844 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:39 PM   #28
SoCaOC-Mom
DIS Veteran

It seems like from what I have read, if there is an outbreak on one of the ships people notice because the CM's are doing a LOT of extra cleaning and disinfecting. Sometimes they even have CM's at the drink station so it is not self serve.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
SoCaOC-Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:45 PM   #29
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me
i cannot wear anything between my toes

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan1129 View Post
I had food poisoning from shrimp cocktail once, and we were on land. Boy, let me tell you, I was one sick puppy. I ended up in the hospital for three days, dehydrated. And yeah, I steer clear of shrimp now, because, well.... it was N A S T Y.
DH and i got it from tuna salad....
we had it for lunch - it was the only thing both of us ate and no one else did..
by 6 PM DH was sick (i won't give the details - but you can figure it out)..
i only became equally violently ill at 2 AM....
we couldn't move from our beds...finally the next day we were so sick in the extreme, DH called a visiting doctor...
the moment he walked through the door of our house he said "food poisoning"...
he checked us out and said, "food poisoning"
and then told us we'd be sick another 3 days...we nearly fainted when he said it....i was sooooooooooo sick i couldn't imagine being sick for another 3 days..
he said if the symptoms didn't improve we'd have to go to the emergency room to be rehydrated...we didn't go to the hospital, but we were very very sick for the next few days...

it took me about a year to eat tuna fish again, and i still won't eat it out....
only if i make it myself at home..
Old 09-24-2012, 08:22 PM   #30
Bonniec
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCaOC-Mom View Post
It seems like from what I have read, if there is an outbreak on one of the ships people notice because the CM's are doing a LOT of extra cleaning and disinfecting. Sometimes they even have CM's at the drink station so it is not self serve.
I read a book from a past crew member recently (not Disney). They had yellow and red levels. At yellow they started taking a lot mroe precautions like you noticed. At red, everything was pretty much shut down.

At a certain point (when more than 2% of the ship), they have to report the outbreaks to the CDC.

http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/surv/GIlist.htm

Now from what I have read, Noro virus is VERY common on ships and no matter how much they clean, stuff happens. But I don't see Disney on that list since 2002. Not sure if that is because they clean more or just pure luck.

Tags
dream, illness, norovirus

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: