Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Disneyland Paris Trip Planning & Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2012, 12:13 PM   #1
ShrumpUK
Earning My Ears

Highs & Lows 19th -23rd Sept 2012

Just back after 5 wonderful days!
I went with my eldest daughter and her two daughters, 4 and 8, and we had a magical time. I will try to do a proper trip report soon!

HIGHS

RS Transports. On time, loaded the luggage for us, polite, pleasant and good driving, on both journeys.

The Hotel Cheyenne. Brilliant theming, the rooms were cleaned every day, beds made, children's mess tidied..very good!

The Park, is beautiful, the theming is lovely and at 8am on a sunny morning it truly does look magical. Minnie Mouse waving from outside her house and then skipping up the road with Amber, 8, was a lovely touch!
Spotlessly clean and the cleaners had a cheery smile and a Bonjour when we wished them a good morning too.

The CMs on the attractions were all cheerful, helpful and pleasant and many really get into character and made the girls laugh, like the lady on The Teacups, dancing all the while.

Smoking. Or rather, the lack of!! I saw ONE person smoking in a queue, the line for Tram Tours..and he waited until he was at a turn, with only people behind him so he wasn't really bothering anyone. It was a loonngg wait too, so I guess he just couldn't hang on any longer..lol. Saw a few people light up, but they stood well away from everyone and that was about it. Only noticed one cigarette butt on the ground too!

The orderly queuing, mostly!! We saw one queue jumper but that was all and in the queues, people were very spaced out and respecting one another's personal space. The only slight pushing occurred as we were herded into our "holding pen" at Tram Tours (a pointless excercise, as everyone in the pen gets on that tram..some people are strange.)

The toilets. We visited most of the toilets around the park at some point in the week and they were clean and well stocked with soap and toilet rolls. Obviously there was the odd exception but Disney can't be blamed for some peoples' disgusting habits!

Adventure Isle. My favourite land, I just love it there! It's always quieter and more relaxed than the rest of the Park and is just beautiful.

DREAMS!!!! What can I say. I knew it was going to be amazing but it totally blew me away!! I cried, daughter cried and the little ones were totally in awe of it. We found a bench, with flower beds in between us and the castle, and sat with our snacks for 45 minutes, Then when it started we simply stood up and turned around and the girls stood on the bench. We were smack in the middle, really close and had the most incredible, uninterrupted view. A couple of adults were behind us but we weren't pushed in the back or anything, it was great!!

Amber's Birthday at cafe Mickey. The only really decent food we had all week (on a budget) and some really nice character interaction. I cried!

The Princess Pavilion. Absolutely beautiful. I really wasn't expecting it to be quite that gorgeous. I cried! !The girls loved it and totally think the princesses are "real". They got to meet two, Snow White AND Cinderella, on the same morning, a long story which i will tell in my trip report..lol. It certainly was full of highs and lows on this occasion.

And Finally, my 2 granddaughters' behaviour. They were obviously over excited but were well behaved, polite and very patient in queues (although the only long ones were Tram Tours, because it was shut for the 1st 2 days we were there, I think, and Crush, which I went on with Amber, 8. )

LOWS

The food! The price of the food. The lack of choice. The amount of places closed. The quality of the food. The coldness of the food.
The fast food outlet in the studios was awful! 4 kiddies meals (so the equivalent of 4 Happy meals) cost €30!! We spent more on the buffet at the hotel one evening than the Birthday meal at cafe Mickey and the food was dreadful, really bad. I practically pounced on my vegetable rack when i got home! he only fruit we saw for sale were a few apples and bananas and they were €1 each! Many of the restaurants were closed, with no notices giving opening times or information, leaving one to wander around looking for somewhere to eat with hungry children in tow.

Security Staff. Every morning we greeted them cheerily and no one responded, they didn't even make eye contact, in fact they just chatted amongst them selves or stared vacantly into space. Surly, miserable bunch! We just plonked our bags on the conveyer belt , picked it up and off we went.

The Disney Village. It's just..tacky..old and tired looking and feels quite sleazy, really. I really don't like it. I know Disney haven't got complete control of the area by the station so I can't really blame them for the hawkers and "artists" peddling their wares but it would be nice if they weren't there.

The Scrum for the buses. OMG!! What is wrong with people. is it really worth killing a 4 yr old, just to get a seat on a bus for a 3 minute journey??? Dreadful behaviour by a lot of people. I won't mention nationalities but it's always the Brits left shell shocked and without a seat or waiting for the next bus! I think we need to man up. LOL!
The general rudeness of a lot of people.It must be a very british thing to respond to an "Excuse Me" to use "Excuse me" and to apologise when one bumps into someone etc. I even say sorry when someone tramples me..lol.(Not Disney's fault, obviously)

LINDA BLAIR!!! I don't know if I missed any warning signs there may have been, but I didn't see any notices when we waited to go into Cinemagique. We took in a 4 yr old and an 8 yr old and were NOT expecting to see Regan from The Excorcist on screen! Luckily my daughter had covered Ella's eyes when Gollum appeared but 8 yr old Amber saw Regan and was terrified by it. I had to share a double bed with her as well as Ella that night! The Exorcist is an 18 certificate, totally inappropiate for Disney IMO! Maybe there ARE warning signs, but we queued quite a while and didn't notice any, so if they DO warn people then the signs need to be more prominent!

The man in the photoshop, but that's a whole other story and I will elaborate if I ever get a trip report done.

Overall, we all had a fantastic time and would go back in a heartbeat. The highs outweigh the lows every time!!
ShrumpUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:38 PM   #2
DLPdaft
Cannot stop singing "Just like we dreeeeamed it"
Has a calming influence

DISboards Moderator

Phew thats an impressive list of highs and lows - I'm now really looking forward to your trip report !
Feb 07 Santa Fe, Oct 07 Santa Fe, Nov 07 Cheyenne, June 08 Explorers, Oct 08 surprise upgrade to the Newport Bay Club! May 09 Magic Circus, Dec 09 Santa Fe VIP, Oct 10 Santa Fe "Cars stylee", March 11 St Patricks Day Santa Fe, Nov 11 Dream Castle bonfire and Christmas, June 12 Dream Castle 20th Dreams, Feb 13 Santa Fe & Dreams, April 14 Santa Fe Spring Festival Fun
DLPdaft is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-24-2012, 12:45 PM   #3
ShrumpUK
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLPdaft View Post
Phew thats an impressive list of highs and lows - I'm now really looking forward to your trip report !
Hahaha, Yeah, yeah, I know, I talk too much!
Old 09-24-2012, 12:52 PM   #4
DLPdaft
Has a calming influence

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrumpUK View Post
Hahaha, Yeah, yeah, I know, I talk too much!
about DLP? not possible !
Feb 07 Santa Fe, Oct 07 Santa Fe, Nov 07 Cheyenne, June 08 Explorers, Oct 08 surprise upgrade to the Newport Bay Club! May 09 Magic Circus, Dec 09 Santa Fe VIP, Oct 10 Santa Fe "Cars stylee", March 11 St Patricks Day Santa Fe, Nov 11 Dream Castle bonfire and Christmas, June 12 Dream Castle 20th Dreams, Feb 13 Santa Fe & Dreams, April 14 Santa Fe Spring Festival Fun
Old 09-24-2012, 01:07 PM   #5
Carrie_Cat
I'm a Rive Gauche person

Good to see your highs Look forward to the TR

Re - Cinémagique - no it's not mentionned anywhere and I hoped that when they changed some of clips last year and made it more modern that they would have got rid of it as I know enough people who complained.

It spoils the whole thing for me, I don't need to be seeing gratuitous horror at Disney a place where I go to escape the real world

Vive la différence
Carrie_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:30 PM   #6
angel_nix
DIS Veteran

Glad that on the whole it was a positive trip, thanks for the heads up about Cinemagique, it was on our to do list next week, but if there are horror scenes, then I will strike it off now, Lottie is terrified of Mother in Rapunzel, so The Exorcist is well out of her comfort range.

Me ~ Nicky DP ~ Neil DD ~ Lottie (6) DD ~ Milly (2)
angel_nix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:44 PM   #7
smallpig
Mouseketeer

Sounds like a great trip overall

Trip reports

No TR but Orlando and WDW - Feb/March 13

June 2011: Very hot summer trip report

October 2011 Halloween trip

April 2012
We just can't stay away...
smallpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:01 PM   #8
micksn
Mouseketeer

Glad to hear positive reviews of RS transport, we have booked with them for our October trip. Was going to go with Ezyshuttle after reading recent bad reviews, but they were fully booked! It sounds as though it depends on the individual driver - hope we get a good one! Were they waiting for you when you arrived or did you have to phone them? Sounds like a great trip
Feb 2005 - Santa Fe, Feb 2007 - Sequoia Lodge, Aug 2007 - New Port Bay, Aug 2008 - Animal Kingdom Lodge, Feb 2009 - Sequoia Lodge, Aug 2009 - Port Orleans Riverside, Feb 2010 - Hotel New York, Nov 2010 - Cheyenne, Oct 2011 - Santa Fe, Aug 2012 - Old Key West Oct 2012 - Hotel New York Feb 2013 - Cheyenne Aug 2013 - Sequoia Lodge

micksn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:20 PM   #9
tennisfan
Was told off for sliding down the banister at the SL
South Africa or California for me
Popped to the Boots

DISboards Moderator

Welcome back, sounds like you had a great trip overal

Trips:
DLRP - Hotel Cheyenne, October, 1994, DLRP - Hotel New York, October, 1998, DLRP - Hotel New York, June, 1999, DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, October, 1999, DLRP - Hotel New York, October, 2000, DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, October, 2001, Walt Disney Studios preview, February, 2002, DLRP - Hotel Cheyenne, August, 2002, New York City, Easter 2004, DLRP - Hotel New York, August, 2004, DLRP - Day trip, November, 2004, DLRP - Day trip, September, 2005, DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, Easter 2007, DLRP - Kyriad, June 2007 DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, June 2009 DLRP - Day trip, November 2009 New York City, February 2010 DLRP - Disneyland Hotel, June 2010 DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, September 2010 Stratosphere Hotel, Las Vegas, October 2010 DLRP - Day trip, January 2011, DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, August 2011, DLRP - Day trip, January 2012, DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, June 2012, DLRP - Santa Fe, November 2012,
tennisfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:41 PM   #10
DLPDreams
I am like a child in a sweet shop, all hyper on sugar

What a lovely list of highs ! Fab!

Glad you had such a lovely time with your grandchildren. My Mum just loves coming with us as it's priceless spending/making those memories with your grandchildren. In fact, she is coming with us on our November trip, (she didn't in June and I missed her), and I don't know who is more excited her or me!

It's funny but I've read quite a few people complain about the man in the photo shop - it might not be the same man, but I have heard some say the service hasn't been good in there! I've always been served by women in there but they haven't been the fastest!

Have to agree about the Village - it looks more shabby by the day.... Perhaps now the finances look a bit better they might get to work on sorting it out properly .

I am intrigued about the Princess Pavilion so you must do a TR . Did you wait long? Can't decide whether to brave it when we go.

DLPDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 04:24 PM   #11
ShrumpUK
Earning My Ears

Re:RS Transports. They were there with a little board with my name on, 5 minutes earlier than it stated on our confirmation letter, 10 minutes after our flight landed. Same at the hotel, 5 minutes early with my name on a board and I watched other drivers too, and they go looking for their customers, rather than making them wander around. Really happy with them. It's the 2nd time we have used them, the last time was 4 yrs ago and just as good back then.
We shared the wait at the Pavilion. Daughter did 9-9.30 and I did 9.30 -10.10, (with the girls going off with the non-queuer)when they opened the doors. We were 4th in line.

I am definitely going to do a Trip Report as I know people here will WANT to hear all the details and won't just smile politely while sidling away, as certain members of my family did today *gives sister stern look*.
Old 09-24-2012, 04:28 PM   #12
DLPdaft
Has a calming influence

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Re:RS Transports. They were there with a little board with my name on, 5 minutes earlier than it stated on our confirmation letter, 10 minutes after our flight landed. Same at the hotel, 5 minutes early with my name on a board and I watched other drivers too, and they go looking for their customers, rather than making them wander around. Really happy with them. It's the 2nd time we have used them, the last time was 4 yrs ago and just as good back then.
We shared the wait at the Pavilion. Daughter did 9-9.30 and I did 9.30 -10.10, (with the girls going off with the non-queuer)when they opened the doors. We were 4th in line.

I am definitely going to do a Trip Report as I know people here will WANT to hear all the details and won't just smile politely while sidling away, as certain members of my family did today *gives sister stern look*.
Oh I think we've all been there !
Old 09-24-2012, 04:50 PM   #13
Bexx

Enjoys the UNIQUE Magic Kingdom
Crazed by the twiddly bits

Some great highs there

I always avoid using the buses - unless it's the middle of the day when they are fairly empty.

Quote:
I even say sorry when someone tramples me..lol.(Not Disney's fault, obviously)
Another apologetic doormat here too!
~ WDW MK Day Trip Jan 83 ~*~ DLP Sequoia Lodge Nov 92 ~*~ DLP Newport Bay Club Nov 93 ~*~ DLP Sequoia Lodge Dec 95 ~*~ WDW Offsite Dec 96 ~*~ WDW Dixie Landings Jan 99 ~*~ DLP Sequoia Lodge Dec 99 ~*~ DLP Hotel New York Dec 02 ~*~ WDW Old Key West Feb 05 ~*~ DLP Newport Bay Club Nov 05 ~*~ DLP Day Trip Jan 06 ~*~ DLP Hotel Cheyenne Dec 06 ~*~ DLP Hotel Santa Fe Nov 07 ~*~ WDW Beach Club Villas & Old Key West + Portofino Bay Feb 08 ~*~ DLP Sequoia Lodge Jan 09 ~*~ DLP Sequoia Lodge March 09 ~*~ DLP Disneyland Hotel Feb 10 ~*~ WDW Beach Club Villas & Old Key West + Royal Pacific Resort Oct 10 ~*~ DLP Hotel New York Dec 12 ~*~ WDW Beach Club Villas & Old Key West + Royal Pacific Resort Aug 13 ~

Been there ... Done that ... Definitely going back!

Bexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:37 AM   #14
Ware Bears

Elvis Fan
Fridge Magnet hoarder

DISboards Moderator

Welcome back, glad you had such a great time
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLPdaft View Post
Oh I think we've all been there !
Oh yes thank goodness for these boards where we all understand!

Looking forward to the trippie.
WDW Holiday Inn Nikki Bird Easter 2004 DLP Explorers August 2005 DLP Explorers Christmas 2005 DLP Explorers August 2006 WDW Comfort Suites Maingate East/Grand Plaza, St Pete Beach Easter 2007 DLP Explorers Halloween 2007 DLP Explorers August 2008 WDW Comfort Suites Maingate East/Disney Wonder Bahamas/Yacht Club Christmas 2009 New Year 2010 DLP Disneyland Hotel May 2011 DLP Newport Bay Club August 2012 DCL Disney Wonder Alaska DL Candy Cane Inn August 2013
Moderator Disneyland Paris
Ware Bears is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: